The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-05-2011, 12:32 AM   #21
Roseangelo
Emperor

I used to watch SVU and the other L&Os religiously, but it slowly disappeared from my radar a couple years ago. Now the only crime procedural I watch is Castle. But, I will always love SVU for it's ability to make me go "WTF? That did NOT just happen!" usually in the last five minutes or so. Isn't there an episode where after a trial a dad walks out of the court room, grabs a security guard's gun, and shoot the little sociopath kid who just got off? I mean really, WTF SVU!!

Has anyone seen Law & Order UK? Freema Agyeman from Doctor Who is on it, and all the guys wear white wigs in the court room! I seriously did not know they still did that. It's an interesting look into the British justice system and how it differs from ours.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:37 AM   #22
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Has anyone seen Law & Order UK? Freema Agyeman from Doctor Who is on it, and all the guys wear white wigs in the court room! I seriously did not know they still did that. It's an interesting look into the British justice system and how it differs from ours.
I need to see what it's like as I've liked most of the L&O series.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:46 AM   #23
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I need to see what it's like as I've liked most of the L&O series.
I haven't watched a whole lot of it, and most of what I've seen was the first season so it may have evolved since then, but it does start by rehashing stories from the original Law & Order, so if you're familiar with those it can make it a little dry to watch it with British accents (or just confusing, depending on the accent ).

Oh, and one of the detectives is Jamie Bamber, whom I was convinced was American throughout all of Battlestar Galactica. But no, he's actually British! So you also get Apollo with a British accent.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #24
SassyGal
Mad Scientist

I really like L&O SVU. I think what makes it easy to watch and get sucked in is the way the detectives interact and the storylines they use, but there were some story arcs that made me go, WTF? On the whole though, I like the show. Sadly, we don't have cable or satellite anymore so I don't get to see the new episodes.

I can pretty much watch and L&O show and enjoy it thoroughly. L&O: UK is really enjoyable too.
SassyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #25
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

SVU is the only Law & order show that I have watched more then a couple of episodes

Quote:
I do to Leader.

Is it just me or does Chris Meloni look like Elias Koteas?
I was so sure it was him for a long time.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #26
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I love watching SVU, but for the past couple of seasons without a perm ADA has bugged me some. I miss the courtroom scenes. I also miss seeing Belzer's character, as he was my favorite. I like dry wit and sarcastic humor (sound like a certain OT character we all know, anyone?)

Last night's ep I didn't get to watch all of. I had to go out and pick up my pop from work. So, I don't know how it ended after John announced that he had 47 children.

As for the other Law & Order shows, I watch CI occasionally and I used to watch the original until Orbach left the show. It wasn't the same after he left. I loved his character as Lenny.

I used to watch CSI (original version) up to a point. I think I just finally grew bored with the show after Sarah's character left, and when Grissom's character left, it really hasn't been the same, not that I have anything against "Cowboy Curtis" . With NCIS, I missed so many eps, I just gradually stopped watching. Last time I watched an up-to-date ep was probably back in 2008, I think. I remember they were trying to rescue Ziva (sp?) from someplace. I can't remember too well now. Is she and DiNozzo hooked up or anything? Seems that's where they were trying to head with those two characters.

Oh, my fav NCIS characters were always McGee and Abby. They're so much fun.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:10 PM   #27
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Wow, I wonder if the fact this thread has gone nearly a decade with no new posts is a sign of the declining quality of the show.

My mom and wife who were huge fans have given up on it. I still stick around in the hopes an episode here and there will be good...but I'm often disappointed.

Spoiler:
Like the Season 22 premier that aired Thursday night. SVU has always been inspired by true events, but this seemed turned up to 11. A "Karen" calls the cops on some young black man just exercising in the park and while waiting for them to show, a man is found beaten and raped in the bushes. The woman throws blame on the man, and he's arrested and questioned by SVU, but eventually cleared in the investigation, but his initial arrest is understandably questioned. Finn and Olivia say the arrest was "by the book," and their new superior says, "THAT'S THE BOOK THAT GOT US HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!"

His anger is not unjustified, but stands in contrast to later in the episode where they have the real perp in custody. He returned to the scene and pretended to be protesting and filming the police, but when the officers arrive at his door in the course of the investigation he says they did nothing wrong and would says as much coming in to give a statement. While in for questioning Olivia asks if he'd so readily give up his DNA so they can match him with a sample found on the victim, Finn point to his mask and says they don't need him to, they just need to get the mask. So they give him a new mask saying his isn't NYPD approved. Is that by the book? Seems shady. Later they do the old ploy of, "The DNA hasn't come back just yet...but the perp doesn't need to know that." That also seems a bit underhanded, and not by the book. Why are those OK, but the arrest earlier wasn't?

TL;DR: I'm necro-posting to talk about the decline of SVU.

What say you?

Old 11-13-2020, 06:23 PM   #28
neatoman
Emperor

Fun fact, I only checked this show out because I thought the "I'm not gay! I have relationship with women! And sex with men!" line to be way to hilarious not to look up the context.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:38 PM   #29
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

Dear Lord, who resurrected this dead thread?

It's Thread Sementary up in this biatch.
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The wife puts this on when she doesn't want to watch movies with me. I don't see the draw, really. I remember when there was cool procedurals, like "New York Undercover" in the 90s.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 01:34 AM   #31
Coola Yagami
Overlord

IDK, I missed when Olivia was on the field. Not the same with her just being the boss with newbs do the detective work.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 01:55 AM   #32
Powder
So tired of this place

The second Christopher Meloni was out, so was I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Ronin View Post
Dear Lord, who resurrected this dead thread?

It's Thread Sementary up in this biatch.
So you're Etsy, yeah? Definitely somebody.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 02:05 AM   #33
neatoman
Emperor

Why would a show, literally made for five year olds, parody this show? Do kindergarten teachers usually put on crime dramas dealing with sexual assault at work? Is it the hottest thing in that age group? Doesn't seem like something the kids would understand.

Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:02 AM   #34
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post

So you're Etsy, yeah? Definitely somebody.
That reminds me. I doubt it's this guy, BUT I did see Allsparrow/TommyT lurking around yesterday, and usually that means that HE'S about to show up with another alt account as well. So everybody be extremely wary of "new" members, as per usual.

Who the heck WAS the last new person to post who actually WAS a new person, and not a Banned member under an alt account? I can't even remember!

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #35
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Wow, I wonder if the fact this thread has gone nearly a decade with no new posts is a sign of the declining quality of the show.

My mom and wife who were huge fans have given up on it. I still stick around in the hopes an episode here and there will be good...but I'm often disappointed.

TL;DR: I'm necro-posting to talk about the decline of SVU.

What say you?
I haven't watched the season premiere yet. I probably will sometime tomorrow. I still keep up with the show, though. I'm one of those who didn't mind the show after Stabler's character was written out of it. I do feel there were some eps where he would've benefited being either there or mentioned, though, like when Olivia was kidnapped by that guy who burned his fingerprints off and was just sociopathic psycho. Seems that since that would've made some type of news, they could've written in Stabler calling to check to see if Olivia was okay or something since they were partners for so many years and good friends. I mean, the woman helped to deliver Stabler's youngest child!

I think my biggest draw to the show are the actual characters themselves. I favor Carisi and I like Finn. Olivia is kind of boring for me and they have too many storylines revolving around her. I had that issue when Stabler's character was there. I hated the fact that too many of the stories focused around him. Rollins I don't mind and I still like her since she's so flawed and I also love her interactions with Carisi. They have a lot of good chemistry and I guess it's because the actors in real life are such good friends. They even let their kids play together.

Sometimes the cases are a bit bothersome or not very interesting or too on the nose, though. I know that the last season started off super slow for me and I hated the fact that the station seems to always so darn empty compared to the earlier seasons now when it was always bustling with activity, like a police station should be. The girl who replaced Carisi isn't so bad and him working in the DA's office wasn't a surprise since his character from the get go wanted to become a lawyer and he passed the bar. The only downside is that him and Rollins aren't interacting as much on-screen.

IMO, one of the things I do really dislike is that Barba's character left. Man, I really liked his character and his snippiness and sarcasm towards the enthusiastic (and emotional) Carisi was always funny. I know he had a cameo last season, but hopefully his character will visit. I hate how he was written out.

I also miss Wong and Tunie being regulars. The episode focused around Olivia's brother bugged me, but I can't recall why, but Warner's character was in that episode. I think the problem was that the way Olivia and Warner's characters were acting around one another came across as if they were strangers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Why would a show, literally made for five year olds, parody this show? Do kindergarten teachers usually put on crime dramas dealing with sexual assault at work? Is it the hottest thing in that age group? Doesn't seem like something the kids would understand.

Didn't Sesame Street also parody Miami Vice back in the late 80s more than once? That wasn't much of a kids show either. Sesame Street characters busting other characters for smuggling illegal letters.

That aside, this doesn't seem so bad...finding the missing letter.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:09 PM   #36
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I'm watching tonight's episode which is a call back to the episode that I talked about earlier in this thread about the guy who was falsely arrested for a murder in Central Park because he was accosted by a Karen in the park. Benson tells this man, who is now suing the city and her for the incident, that he and her want the same thing systemic change to the NYPD but that One PP won't allow it and that he has to do certain things to try and get that change to happen.

Cut to later in the episode, the suspect in the crime of of the week is bleeding out in a basement because he was shot by one of the other suspects. Liv calls him an ambulance and then threatens that he will die if he doesn't tell where the other suspect went to. He says that she's a cop and won't let him die so she calls off the ambulance until he tells them what they want to know. So all that talk about changing how the NYPD operates is completely pointless it seems because this is ridiculous. And more than likely illegal.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:11 PM   #37
Powder
So tired of this place

Anyone peep the new L&O Organized Crime that focuses on Stabler's return? I heard it started off with a reunion crossover thing between it & SVU. I was really excited about the news but the trailer didn't quite sell me. Worth watching?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:34 PM   #38
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I've been watching it's not too bad. it let's Stabler be Stabler...But if going by how
he's talked about by the new chief on SVU is any indication it may not bode well for him.

I just finished the most recent episode of SVU and they bookended it with the new Chief telling Benson to stay away from Stabler because everybody's under a microscope now and he can't afford to lose her if she gets too close to him.