The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 08-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Donnie.Shelldon
Random Punk

My personal little TMNT game

I'm working on a browser based TMNT game which i hope will grow out to be a fun little experience in the future with the help of the community (idea-wise).
At the moment it's in its very early stages and still quite crude. But the basic movement and level creation mechanics are there for me to expand on

A working demo can be found HERE

in-game keys are:
-----------------
<arrow left> or A = left
<arrow right> or D = right
<arrow up> or W = up (trigger interactions)
<arrow down> OR S = duck
<spacebar> = jump
Z or L = attack
B or I - inventory
================================
Update Log:
-----------
[08/25/2012] Added ingame turtle choice in the backpack - Switch whenever you want
[08/25/2012] Reduced load time when moving through doors
[08/25/2012] Added conversations
[08/25/2012] Added attack while ducking

Last edited by Donnie.Shelldon; 08-25-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Donnie.Shelldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

First of all I just want to say I 100% support this and want you to continue doing this. I like the screenshot, love that it uses the new Nick TMNT style.

But I predict you are going to get a cease and desist very, very shortly

With that out of the way... looks like Zelda 2 in style? I think you should make it a fun action platformer like the NES TMNT game, only not as hard, more fun, and with more cool stuff like the item interactions you mentioned

By the way... have you played the new Nick Turtles browser games at nick.com/turtles? they are really fun
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Donnie.Shelldon
Random Punk

Thanks for your kind reply!

If they do feel this project is important/big/something enough to put to a stop (or are just incredibly strict), then it'll only mean i'll continue working on the game for personal use only. Just because i enjoy the process of creation.

ATM it's an added (big) bonus to make it with a TMNT theme...Worst case i'd have to replace the characters with personally designed ones, but i hope they'll have a bit more relaxed attitude as i doubt it would in any way negatively impact their product(s) or be a threat in any way...But i guess time will tell

Yeah the style would be close to Zelda 2 i suppose...But then with the puzzle / adventure aspects indeed. Also objects like the couch in the screenshot i plan to make searchable so every object can potentially provide useful items / consumables.

[edit]
and yes i did play the NICK platform game. It looks very nice and is good fun! A bit too dark too my taste but that's personal ofc.
[/edit]
Old 08-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I was looking at your picture again and I suddenly imagined a Castlevania: Symphony of the Night style TMNT game... that would be a dream come true

People here on the board are always talking about how they want a TMNT rpg... as do I. the castlevania games have a great balance of action platforming with rpg stats etc.

Please consider that
Old 08-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Donnie.Shelldon
Random Punk

i haven't played Castlevania much past the first game, but i'll have a look at it straight away on Youtube. Thanks for the tip!

[edit]
Just checked it out and i have to say, in more than 1 way "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night" looks like a VERY nice source of inspiration. I will deff considered adding the RPG elements like stats / levelling and item upgrade system at some point... As well as look into similar level design ideas like for instance:

- Stairs (atm only have ladders)
- mobs having a chance of dropping items / buffs

Last edited by Donnie.Shelldon; 08-08-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Hey, this looks promising! I hope you keep working on this. Hopefully, your effort at making a TMNT game will end up better than mine:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=13536

(Granted, however, my game is currently being remade by the eccentric Ninjinister; we'll see what happens)

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Donnie.Shelldon
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Hey, this looks promising! I hope you keep working on this. Hopefully, your effort at making a TMNT game will end up better than mine:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=13536

(Granted, however, my game is currently being remade by the eccentric Ninjinister; we'll see what happens)
Thanks! Time will tell i'm sure Too bad i can't see what your game looked like. The thread made me curious!
Old 08-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie.Shelldon View Post
Thanks! Time will tell i'm sure Too bad i can't see what your game looked like. The thread made me curious!
Oops, I forgot that old link was dead!

Here ya, go:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ubdhcwsn82lqbwo

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
Genesis
Stone Warrior

I hope that you include lots of corridors, tunnels and shafts, as opposed to Castlevania's stairs. Gotta keep that ninja feel, y'know? Also, and this is totally on the side, maybe try other health icons - like shells - instead of hearts.

Last edited by Genesis; 08-08-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Donnie.Shelldon
Random Punk

Lol quite amusing game there . And the beach when you quit is really a very nice touch haha ...

Little change to the housey for fun and to demonstrate that there's relative freedom in adding flavor graphics (when time permits)

Old 08-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
Donnie.Shelldon
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
I hope that you include lots of corridors, tunnels and shafts, as opposed to Castlevania's stairs. Gotta keep that ninja feel, y'know? Also, and this is toally on the side, maybe try other health icons - like shells - instead of hearts.
For sure! Would be nice to add stealthy bit and dark rooms where you have to use items to create some minimal light to find your way. I'm considering this.

As for the hearts - they were just to put something there. I first wanted to go for pizza slices but they seems too....obvious. Having looked at Castlevania though it might be a better idea to show health either as a figure which can increase with levelling or as a life-bar...Both don't take up too much screen space when you want to increase the amount of healthpoints / life. A turtle shell icon might be good, but will people relate to this indicating health? I wonder...

Old 08-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
tmnt transformer
Stone Warrior

Looking good dude.........keep up the good work!

This Picture was drawn by BeagleTsuin from deviantart.

http://https://gleam.io/6dHF3/itam-x-el-june-xbox-giveawayle.php?id=288262&ref=288262"]http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile.php?id=288262&ref=288262[/URL]

tmnt transformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #13
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I don't think hearts fit the TMNT aesthetic very well. I'm sure you can come up with something! Maybe a standard health bar that kinda looks like a sewer pipe or ooze canister

Maybe you could incorporate the health bar to be more integrated with the portrait. Here is how Kingdom Hearts does it. As the character gains more health through upgrades and level-ups the bar grows. See the difference in these two pics.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #14
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

You may take some level design and layout ideas from the new Secret Sewer Lair playset that was released. It seems that their lair is accessible from the inside of an abandoned pizza shop!

Last edited by Zulithe; 08-13-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #15
Donnie.Shelldon
Random Punk

Ye i'm leaning towards a styled statusbar myself. It would be cool to do some integration with the portrait. I'll give it some thought

As for the Turtle's lair vid, that's VERY cool. I think i'll do some first level redesigning based on it. Nice starting point. Very cool!

thanks !
Old 08-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #16
46pǝqqoɹʇoƃsodxƎ
Random Punk

I suggest being able to use cheat codes and be able to use every "style" of the turtles like 1984 comic, 1987 cartoon, TMNT 1 & 2, TMNT 3, NT.TNM, 2003 cartoon, TMNT 4 and 2012 cartoon

Katana, Sai, Bo Staff, Nunchucks.
Donatello:Uh, did he say Brain Drain.
Michaelangelo: Whoa, Bummer.
Raphael: Don't sweat it Michaelangelo, you don't have that much to lose.
46pǝqqoɹʇoƃsodxƎ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #17
Xav
Foot Elite

You ever play Radical Rescue or the GBA version of Battle Nexus? Because they both have puzzle elements. They also give the turtles special abilities, Leo can destroy weak floors, Mike can use his Nunchaku like a propeller etc.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #18
BentonGrey
Hench Mutant

Hey Donnie, this looks like the beginning of something fun. I like the idea of the Turtles having different uses/powers. I'm reminded slightly of The Lost Vikings from back in the day.

Good luck in your undertaking!
BentonGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #19
Donnie.Shelldon
Random Punk

@ExposGotRobbed94
I myself am not a big fan of cheatcodes . The different styles i suppose could be provided in time by anyone who feels upto the challenge...including myself...But i reckon this would be something to look at after the game itself is near-finished. It's not too hard to replace the 'sprite'-set of the characters tho. Drawing the animations just takes time.

@Xav
I haven't played either of those games no. I will check them out though. As for signature moves. I suppose this bit will require the most brainstorming...

@BentonGrey
Thanks for the compliment! The lost vikings did cross my mind and at first i did want to have similar gameplay where you could interactively switch between the turtles with their special abilities in order to solve puzzles. I wasn't creative enough to come up with something nice though and the setup i fear would cause headaches when level-designing .

Nyahahahaaa..Very soon those green pests will have to deal with us!!!

Last edited by Donnie.Shelldon; 08-09-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #20
Xav
Foot Elite

So this is based on the 1987 series? The no pupils made be think more of the 2003 series.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan game, video games