The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 10-11-2015, 01:04 AM   #81
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Knuckles View Post

That's all I meant when referencing the Transformers toys. Their situation was to make the cartoon show look extremely close to the way the toys looked. I think if you compare a lot of the Transformers toys to their counterparts on the show they look very similar in most cases.
Meh, I knew what you meant, I was just being a picky jerk - but I don't agree at all that TF toys look like the cartoon - infact, as a kid, I hated the fact that They looked VERY different - specifically megatron and Prime.

Primes pin head/ twig arm/ no leg day/ no pelvis toy:

Vs the buff proportioned TV version.

Megatron is almost unrecognizeable as a toy

Compared to his cartoon counterpart (sh!t, try fining a good shot of Megatron from G1, nothing! )

Quote:
The cartoon turtles have their own unique look and I wish that was the style of these S.H. Figuarts TMNT figures.
I agree - As a kid, the fact that toys never matched what was on the screen always struck me as WTF. I often thought there was a legitimate reason, like they were waiting, waiting to reward us with the REAL version...or they just didn't have the technology.
I never would have guessed it was apathy and bureaucracy.

Meh - a kids 6 year old brain...the things it will think.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:19 AM   #82
Darth Knuckles
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
Meh, I knew what you meant, I was just being a picky jerk - but I don't agree at all that TF toys look like the cartoon - infact, as a kid, I hated the fact that They looked VERY different - specifically megatron and Prime.
Hey it's all good. As I said I didn't make that post clear as to what I was really trying to say. I knew it was tough to find an accurate Megatron with him being a gun and all but yikes! I had a few issues like that myself concerning how accurate the Beast Wars toys and cartoon counterparts matched up.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:41 AM   #83
Etsyturtle2
Banned

Quote:
Hey it's all good. As I said I didn't make that post clear as to what I was really trying to say. I knew it was tough to find an accurate Megatron with him being a gun and all but yikes! I had a few issues like that myself concerning how accurate the Beast Wars toys and cartoon counterparts matched up.
Well, how about you try a new thing, making a complex toy that transforms into something else in 1983 when it was new?
Etsyturtle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #84
Bran The Man
Thug

I just saw these online the other day. The SH Figuarts cartoon turtles don't look that bad, but I hope these leaves the door open for other incarnations, such as the 1990 Jim Henson turtles or the IDW turtles.
Bran The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #85
eastlos217
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
They based the figures on stock art, not the style of the Fred Wolf series.

They look like this:
http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/ima...ja-turtles.jpg

But they're supposed to look like this:
http://i62.tinypic.com/b8a3ia.jpg

Which is to say with darker skin, an olive/brown colored carapace, farther apart/circular eyes, a chocolate colored belt with grey buckle, a stockier build, no rim around the plastron, & pads that don't have the comic/film inspired "ribbed" look.

yea I agree, kinda sucks too that they do look crossed eye. but since its SH, they should be a good investment, their value always go up
eastlos217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #86
mgambino
Foot Soldier

They had these on display at NYCC. They looked pretty cool in person.
mgambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:54 AM   #87
Darth Knuckles
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etsyturtle2 View Post
Well, how about you try a new thing, making a complex toy that transforms into something else in 1983 when it was new?
Oh well, that's not my job or anything. I never bought any of the Transformers toys from the 1980's so it doesn't bother me that much. That was really just my first time seeing that particular Megatron toy.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:48 AM   #88
Etsyturtle2
Banned

HahahaHahaHa. Beaten. Anyway, I was just saying that the toys predates the cartoon. But, all that aside, these figure look pretty neat and I would like to see the ot designs, as much as I love the original figures.
Etsyturtle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #89
joefsas
Stone Warrior

Loving the look of these! They definitely have my interest
Shame Iv'e never got any money
Old 10-12-2015, 07:58 AM   #90
Kingoji
Hench Mutant

These look like sculpts of cheap costumes reps would wear to promotional appearances in the 80s and 90s.

Yeah... pass.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #91
Powder
So tired of this place

No they don't, they look exactly like the stock art.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #92
tmntman
Mad Scientist

I'm beginning to wonder if the revised version of the vintage Turtles is a result of likeness rights or some other legal issue. It just seems really strange that they have attempted to rewrite history and act as if the new vintage look was what the original cartoon Turtles looked like all along.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #93
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if the revised version of the vintage Turtles is a result of likeness rights or some other legal issue. It just seems really strange that they have attempted to rewrite history and act as if the new vintage look was what the original cartoon Turtles looked like all along.
I've been wondering the same thing for quite some time now.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #94
Coro
Mad Scientist

My store has these guys as a direct supplier. If there is enough interest I can make a large order and get a decent discount.

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:22 PM   #95
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coro View Post
My store has these guys as a direct supplier. If there is enough interest I can make a large order and get a decent discount.
just wish you sold to the UK

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #96
sdp
-

What's the big difference between the retro stock art and the real OT turtles? Roseangelo posted a really good comparison pic many years ago, the ones posted here don't really do it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
This was speculated back in the day until Turtles Forever came out which had the original concept art for the turtles and not the stock art version.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #97
Kingoji
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
No they don't, they look exactly like the stock art.
Well excuse me.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:18 PM   #98
theassassin
Foot Soldier

Anyone who thinks Bluefin made a creative choice to base these off promotional art is kidding themselves. Even if you throw logic out of the window, they've already acknowledged they're meant to be based on the cartoon (info posted on Fwoosh):

Quote:
Russ over at Gundam Planet just got to interview Bluefin and gosh darn:

Turtles will be web exclusives in Japan as they are aimed at the american market. The 80's cartoon is THE most popular version of the character in either market though so it's beneficial to both parties. Plan is to construct them with diecast parts. They're currently exploring what other characters from that series to make in this line, taking suggestions.
But yeh, keep telling yourself life is fair and everyone does their job properly... keep desperately scratching around for theoretical technicalities...

The cartoon-inaccuracies on these figures are a mistake stemming from poor research. Period.

Virtually nobody was asking for promotional-art based figures, and 99% of the people who are happy these figures look like the promo art are just easy-going-types who would have been equally happy with 100% cartoon accurate versions had they been shown instead. People like that just don't like people raining on the "these figures are perfect" parade so pathetically stick up for companies mistakes and mock the hardcore fans for daring to dream bigger and better. CARTOON-ACCURATE figures is what the vast majority want, and these are so close. Why not make those minor tweaks to take them to the next level?

Unfortunately like many other toy giants, BlueFin doesn't seem to have any clear way for fans to contact them, giving the clear message that fan feedback or interaction is not really wanted, besides empty claims in interviews to boost PR. "Send your suggestions, we care about the fans, we want these to be the best figures ever, blah blah blah...". Yet no contact us forms on their websites, questions to social media pages get ignored... and they likely adopt the famous MattyCollector attitude of "it's too late to change anything" the moment the first protos are shown. Basically "lol, nerds...".

Last edited by theassassin; 10-12-2015 at 08:27 PM.
theassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #99
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theassassin View Post
Anyone who thinks...".
You and I are gonna get along just fine.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:15 PM   #100
Ninjinister
無問題

For the record I do like the figures. It just bothers me that after almost 30 years we still can't get any that look exactly like they did in the show. I don't care if they would've been these or something else... every 80s toyline I can think of eventually got screen-accurate figures. The fact that these aren't perfect copies doesn't detract from me that they're great-looking pieces of plastic (minus the derp eyes) but every time a new set of figures based on this series is announced that doesn't look like they did on the show, I get a bit down.