The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: How did you feel about the nostril noses?
I hated it, it was a pointless design change 7 35.00%
I don't mind them having nostrils but not with this look 12 60.00%
I enjoyed the hideous nostril/noses making them look like Shrek and the Hulk 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #21
Musashi
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Promo boxes of Kleenex?

Um, what now? And why?
Well, they are teens.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #22
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I don't know which is worse. Cubed's obsession with the turtle nostrils or his obsession with the chick that plays supergirl
Old 10-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #23
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
Well, they are teens.

And there goes the thread.

*tisk* Wrong end of the anatomy there, buddy. (I knew it was overdue for that discussion to come back up. lol)

edit: I made a thing.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 10-10-2019 at 06:09 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #24
Musashi
Foot Soldier

Leonardo's nostrils are all right - The only thing really wrong with him is that he's too massive, like all of them. Michelangelo - nostrils and everything else - is really grotesque and just has an annoying face.

Although I've seen a few isolated scenes, I still haven't actually watched either of these movies... It's totally possible I never will.

Edit: Oh, and sorry for bringing down the thread with my previous post.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #25
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Leonardo's nostrils are all right - The only thing really wrong with him is that he's too massive, like all of them. Michelangelo - nostrils and everything else - is really grotesque and just has an annoying face.

Although I've seen a few isolated scenes, I still haven't actually watched either of these movies... It's totally possible I never will.

Edit: Oh, and sorry for bringing down the thread with my previous post.
It's Mikey that I also take most issue with.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #26
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

I don't care about the nostrils on the BayTurtles simply because I don't care enough to sit down and watch both BayTurtles movies.

Quote:
Well, they are teens.
You just won this thread.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #27
Donnie
Something from the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Disgusting ugly noses. I hate it.
Agreed. The noses and the height were too much for me. I didn't mind the changes to their bandannas/individual styles, I also don't mind Don with glasses. But the hulking height and the noses were 100% idiotic.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #28
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I don't mind them being a little bigger than typical, esp if they were older and fully grown, but the size of a small truck... eh, no. Maybe keep them at or a few inches below average adult human height at most. None of this 6' and over business.

Definitely some conflict between the scenes of them as kids -- What were they, around 8? 10 at most? -- and the present day size of them when they're still supposed to be teens; or so they claim. You tellin' me in that short handful of years they grew and changed that much? Puberty happens, sure, but god damn, I don't care if your are mutants, no one looks like a 30-year-old spending too much time at the gym when they're still a teenager; the fully adult body just isn't there yet. (Which is why they're adults in my head, no matter what those two movies claim.)

I'd say shrink everyone down to about Mikey's height at most. If there's anything he got the best of in these, design-wise, it's that he's the smallest of the bunch and not so overwhelmingly large.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 10-18-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:47 AM   #29
newhire13
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I don't mind them being a little bigger than typical, esp if they were older and fully grown, but the size of a small truck... eh, no. Maybe keep them at or a few inches below average adult human height at most. None of this 6' and over business.

Definitely some conflict between the scenes of them as kids -- What were they, around 8? 10 at most? -- and the present day size of them when they're still supposed to be teens; or so they claim. You tellin' me in that short handful of years they grew and changed that much? Puberty happens, sure, but god damn, I don't care if your are mutants, no one looks like a 30-year-old spending too much time at the gym when they're still a teenager; the fully adult body just isn't there yet. (Which is why they're adults in my head, no matter what those two movies claim.)

I'd say shrink everyone down to about Mikey's height at most. If there's anything he got the best of in these, deign-wise, it's that he's the smallest of the bunch and not so overwhelmingly large.
So funny, I was thinking about the exact same thing before I clicked on the 2nd page of this post lol. Weren’t they calling it just Ninja Turtles at first? Then they added in Teenage Mutant after the backlash. They were definitely designed to look like adults, not teens.
newhire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:42 PM   #30
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, and further confused by those Leo and Raph toy sets that came with a regular turtle, a kid Turtle that was labeled as "teen" (despite looking like a child), and the regular figure labeled "Ninja Turtle."

Were it not for the fact that one of the important scenes of the film (April meeting them) had Mikey pointing out that they're teenagers, I'd have assumed they were going to be adults and then backpedaled on that after the uproar over the initial title.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:14 PM   #31
Galactus
Foot Elite

I know we're supposed to rib Cybercubed about his fixation with the Bay Turtles noses but he ain't wrong, is he? The noses do look odd and distracting.

I can see the appeal behind the idea of making the turtles so big. It's to convey how 'edgy' and 'badass' the characters are supposed to be and while I love them wouldn't really recommend Zulli's 'realism' approach for a mainstream version of the turtles I grudgingly respect they tried something like that for the movies.

I don't think it should have extended to giving them noses though. Leonardo had the most traditional TMNT face and he just had nostril slits which I could have lived with but the others having actual raised noses just did not hit the eye right at all. Personally I'm comfortable with the idea that the turtles have nostril holes that we just don't see, maybe a scene were one sneezes or sniffs something we can see them nostrils flare but otherwise we should stick with the traditional smooth rounded beak.

While we're on the subject of the designs the individualized clothes and accessories can get in the trash too. Putting aside that the gaudy crap actually detracts what they were trying to convey from the edgy, realistic thing they were shooting for with the turtles physical builds but it really didn't help anyone who didn't already know the characters tell them apart.

If you didn't already know that Leo was supposed to be leader and Splinter's #1 pupil what are you supposed to get from his look? You might wonder why only the one in blue is wearing cod Samurai gear, aren't they all supposed to be martial artists? Why is the one in read only wearing a loin cloth, is he a barbarian? What the hell is horny orange one doing with the shades and gold chains? The only one whose gear conveyed their personality was Don and boy did they lay that **** on thick. In many ways all that stuff made them harder to tell apart for someone who didn't already know them.

I used to think giving the turtles varying builds and facial types and even accessories was a good idea but it's been taken to such extremes I long for the days the all looked almost identical. If and when the next movie comes their designs need to be ultra traditional, leather belts, pads and straps for Don and Leo to carry their weapons. If they must differentiate the turtles it needs to subtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
I don't care about the nostrils on the BayTurtles simply because I don't care enough to sit down and watch both BayTurtles movies.
Yeah I feel but my fear has always been that their designs choices would leak their way into other versions and lo and behold some artists working on the various IDW comics draw them with nostril slits which looks even weirder when they are put on more traditional looking turtles.

The Rise of... designs definitely have the stink of the PD movie influence from Raph being hulk sized to the various color coded crap they have on them.

Last edited by Galactus; 10-18-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:50 PM   #32
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Although it's kind of funny that Mikey and Raph both have sunglasses, as well as the sweatshirt tired around Mikey's waist, when these things will never fit them.

I don't mind of they have a little clothing and accessorizes, at least not this particular version, but I'd rather it stuck to what actually makes sense for them and what they'll really use.

No way should Donnie be bogged down by so much crap he's getting no use of... Narrow it down to what we'll actually see him use. Same with the CB radios they all had in 2016. Never touched even once, so what was the point. And while Leo's gear/clothing at least is all stuff that makes sense for him in OotS, he really should have used those throwing knives at least once, rather than just having them for looks.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:57 AM   #33
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post

I'd say shrink everyone down to about Mikey's height at most. If there's anything he got the best of in these, design-wise, it's that he's the smallest of the bunch and not so overwhelmingly large.
I actually didn't mind them being taller myself. It's a shame they dropped the ball in the actual fighting department in these movies, because by increasing their heights, they had more flexibility on who they could hire to do the stunt work for them. But, I still like the idea of Mikey being the runt of the litter, but he makes up for it with speed and his personality.

As for the nostrils, like others, I actually didn't mind the way they had Leo and Donnie. Raph wasn't so bad, but Mikey was hideous, considering back in the 1990 movie, he probably had the best look out of all of the puppets.

So, I don't mind the nostrils, just need to tweek the faces a bit for Mikey and maybe Raph, and I do agree, they need to be not so large. They are supposed to be ninjas after all, not body builders.

But, I was kind of disappointed none of the turtles had brown eyes. They were either green or blue. Would it kill them to have a brown eyed Turtle? Or maybe even hazel, which would look neat with Raphael, because the hazel could look similar to his red mask.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote