The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 07-24-2017, 06:34 PM   #61
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
You could tell what the turtles were doing when they appeared.

Leo in the Dojo
Donnie on his computer, in his lab
Mikey eating pizza, probably in the living room watching tv.
Raph asleep, probably in his room

It didn't bother me because the episode was mostly focused on Usagi and needed character building. If we saw the turtles first and getting summoned then people would moan that we didn't get enough Usagi.
Still would have benefited showing this as an interruption to their lives if it just showed a shot of each of them quietly at home doing their thing before being so rudely pulled into a foreign dimension. Would have taken mere seconds away from the Usagi focus. (Unfortunately we also don't all always get to watch it on a tv or other large enough screen and have the opportunity to study it...)

But thank you for Vickysplaining how my want for it is wrong.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:39 PM   #62
tmntsplinterfan1997
Foot Soldier

I watched the episode and it was great!

But do you know what's bad? It ended with a cliffhanger. The turtles, Usagi and Kintaro falling off the cliff after the horse battle between Sumo Kuma, his samurais, Miyamoto Usagi and the turtles.

tmntsplinterfan1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:38 PM   #63
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelangelo View Post
I am sorry, but Usagi's comic having a break (the second time in over thirty years one must add) has nothing to do with stan's abillities to work in time, my friend. the break came about because he took a time out in order to work on two other projects (one being a tribute book to another comic character and one being the idw turtles/usagi crossover book that is coming out now. and stan also said on the usagi yojimbo dojo (the official fan website of usagi) that the turtles project was formerly supposed to be much longer even, but the guys helming that decided to cut it short).

if one was to talk about stans speed, it is incredible if you think about it, know the process and understand comics. he writes, draws and inks 10 issues a year SINGLE HANDEDLY.that is a mind blowing accomplishment actually.
I agree totally that he's a workaholic but he just has too much on his plate to be able to add a show to the mix as well. He's my favorite artist/creator on the planet.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:40 PM   #64
FearlessLeader
Mad Scientist

I'm so impressed by this episode! It was so on point with Usagi and as others have pointed out the obvious love and respect for the original source material used here was so obvious and evident. I'm already completely in love with this series and it just grew by ten times more.

I'm so excited for the coming weeks and whats going to happen with this story. I really, really hope Leo and Usagi become friends because I've always enjoyed the different levels of this mutual warrior friendship in other medias. As much as Leo loves his brothers he just needs that friend who understands him and who he is on a level I don't know if anyone else does. Especially now I feel with his added responsibility to support their family this season.

I need to watch this again!

Artwork by Jim Lawson
FearlessLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:40 PM   #65
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelangelo View Post
that would have been incredible if there was such a long running usagi anime.but then again, I think part of what may make usagi even better is that role of stan and his creation as sort of an outcast of that country that he is so meticulously researching and writing about. do you know what I mean? it doesn't really play any role in all this whatsoever, but knowing that NO outsider, that means no foreigner, ever has had a commercial breakthrough in japan-even if usagi is such a love letter to all the country'S history and soul-...I don't know that makes him somewhat of an underdog in my head..a sort of a lone wolf hahaha
It's funny that you say "lone wolf" because I was thinking how awesome it would be for the Turtles to meet up with Lone Wolf and Cub as well. LOL!
Old 07-24-2017, 11:25 PM   #66
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! View Post
It's funny that you say "lone wolf" because I was thinking how awesome it would be for the Turtles to meet up with Lone Wolf and Cub as well. LOL!
That is likely why the turtle tots episode is called Lone Rat and Cubs.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:01 AM   #67
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! View Post
hahaha, yeah it was unintentional, but it fits very well here
T-U-R-T-L-E-POWA, ah, now I see...yeah, adding the show to the usagi comics could be just too much;(...we needed someone who really has understanding for usagis world and well crafted storytelling who would mount most of the work, then stan could just be serving as a creative consultant perhaps?...having written that I don't know if I would find that solution a good one hahahaha..oh well, I am just so happy this episode (and the next two) exists and is really well made.

yes, victory_angel is absolutely on point here, too I think.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:13 AM   #68
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Still would have benefited showing this as an interruption to their lives if it just showed a shot of each of them quietly at home doing their thing before being so rudely pulled into a foreign dimension. Would have taken mere seconds away from the Usagi focus. (Unfortunately we also don't all always get to watch it on a tv or other large enough screen and have the opportunity to study it...)

I wasn't saying you were wrong, I was just explaining why the turtles just appeared out of the blue and not starting out with them.

Stan Sakai did write this episode so it's obviously the reason why there was more focus on Usagi than the turtles.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:19 AM   #69
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

it could very well have been cut down for timing reasons, couldn't it?

I wanted to say that I got to see the episode last night (thanks to my helper here..) and loved it.
did you notice that the village from which usagi picks up kintaro is resembling closely the village in kurosawas film yojimbo?even the little tokage with the severed hand is an image taken from that movie (in yojimbo it was a dog)..
loved that in particular!
Old 07-25-2017, 03:07 AM   #70
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
The hell?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:29 AM   #71
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:

But why even waste seconds? We've already seen them lounging around the lair. We haven't seen Usagi's world at all. Easy decision. Also the same way it's gone down in the past with "The Crossing" and "Shades of Green".
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:01 AM   #72
MarsicornYT
Foot Soldier

Is it possible that since the order of season 5 is messed up, one of the episodes that were meant to air before the Usagi arc ends with the turtles being teleported somewhere but we don't see where. Then in the next one (Yojimbo) it shows that it was Usagi's world that they were teleported to.
MarsicornYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #73
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsicornYT View Post
Is it possible that since the order of season 5 is messed up, one of the episodes that were meant to air before the Usagi arc ends with the turtles being teleported somewhere but we don't see where. Then in the next one (Yojimbo) it shows that it was Usagi's world that they were teleported to.
No. Does everything need to be shown even if it's heavily implied?
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:21 AM   #74
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsicornYT View Post
The 2nd 80s crossover is meant to air before the Usagi arc.

Judging by this pic

They were in the Lair at the time doing there own thing.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #75
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
The 2nd 80s crossover is meant to air before the Usagi arc.

Judging by this pic

https://68.media.tumblr.com/1691ff40...u81y09_540.png

They were in the Lair at the time doing there own thing.
And Raphael does accuse Donnie of working on some sort of portal thing again. But we've never seen Donnie working on or messing with dimensional portals in this storyline. The only dimentional portal thing he's used was that one portal from Dimention X and that was given to him by April.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #76
CyberCubed
Overlord

Are people really having mental breakdowns over the Turtles not being shown in the lair before transported into Usagi's world? Why the hell would anyone want to see that and waste screentime out of the episode?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #77
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Are people really having mental breakdowns over the Turtles not being shown in the lair before transported into Usagi's world? Why the hell would anyone want to see that and waste screentime out of the episode?
They probably think Mutagen Man is a "plot hole" too.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #78
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
The same sort of folks who wanted to boycott the show because they haven't shown the interior of Leonardo's room.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:11 PM   #79
THGhost
Puppet Master

Man that was great.
  • My knowledge of Usagi Yojimbo consists entirely of the 80s cartoon, but I enjoyed this all the same.
  • Not showing the turtles for the first 8 mins of the episode. That's pretty ballsy, Nick. I'd be surprised if little kids didn't switch off due to boredom/confusion.
  • Does Jei remind anybody of Rahzar?
  • It's awesome how Nick didn't whitewash any of the Asian roles.
  • Can Usagi have his own show now please, Nick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Kintaro is really funny. It's great how he's written to be an annoying character, yet doesn't annoy the viewer.
Speak for yourself. He annoyed the **** out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
The same sort of folks who wanted to boycott the show because they haven't shown the interior of Leonardo's room.
Have we never seen Leo's room?

Quote:
Apparently.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42

Last edited by THGhost; 07-25-2017 at 01:16 PM.
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #80
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
  • My knowledge of Usagi Yojimbo consists entirely of the 80s cartoon, but I enjoyed this all the same.
  • Not showing the turtles for the first 8 mins of the episode. That's pretty ballsy, Nick. I'd be surprised if little kids didn't switch off due to boredom/confusion.
  • Does Jei remind anybody of Rahzar?
  • It's awesome how Nick didn't whitewash any of the Asian roles.
  • Can Usagi have his own show now please, Nick?
  • Cool that you were? The FW take on the character is pretty terrible, so I don't see how anyone could see this as a downgrade from that particular version in the first place.
  • That's pretty standard for Usagi/TMNT crossovers.
  • Jei is an established Usagi character, I don't immedietly think of anything other than Jei when I see Jei.
  • Again, I guess that's cool? Given that it's a cartoon and none of the characters are human, I don't think anyone would have cared in the first place.
  • I don't want Nickelodeon to have that kind of control over Usagi. TMNT might be doomed to spawn toy marketing vehicles, Usagi has not been subjected to that and deserves to be treated with more respect.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote