The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #101
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
People still find that sh*t amusing? And they're seriously like 5 minutes long? Good lord.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #102
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

I finally got around to seeing this movie at the second-run movie theater (only $1.75/ticket) and it was pretty good. I applaud the plot twists in not falling into the "destined lovers" trope, but the pacing seemed oddly choppy or rushed compared to other Disney movies. There didn't seem to be a lot of quieter, bonding moments between Elsa and Anna that you usually see with Disney cartoons except for the one scene when they were children, which seemed to be the only cherished memory between them. Otherwise every scene afterward, was constantly dramatic (maybe even melodramatic) between them.

At least with some of the other Disney movies (Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, and even Tangled) there seemed to be a much more palpable, and deeper relationship building between the main characters. With Frozen, it frequently came across as "she's my sister, so I just have to save her!" logic came in, rather than some concrete emotional bonding. Speaking of Kristoff being knowledgeable in relationships , and questioning Anna's romantic decisions, it's too bad he didn't ask Anna, "So besides Elsa being your sister, what other things make you attached to her?" since he basically used that same line of questioning with Anna about Hans. I'm sure Kristoff heard the many rumors in Arendelle about Elsa being an evil sorcerer, so at least after the question, the answer would have given a more substantial justification for Kristoff helping Anna besides also being paid by her.

If the movie could have added on just 2-3 minutes talking about the loss of the parents more and their emotional isolation, it would have solidified their bond more. I know it's just a Disney movie, but the movie did "go there" after Anna was singing that song to Elsa through the door. I don't know , they seemed more like distant relatives with a touch of melodrama rather than close sisters to me. If there was more of a heartfelt conversation going on when Anna met Elsa at the ice palace rather than a song, the climatic scene of Anna being turned into ice would have had a stronger emotional pull in Elsa's heartache.

For me, it's a decent movie and memorable in terms of plot twists, but I'll probably forget about the main characters and their whole sibling/sisterhood bond (which was underdeveloped) after a few other animated Disney movies arrive.

As for some saying the movie is overhyped, I can see it from that perspective. I think a lot of the hype is from this movie ditching Disney's formulaic "destined lovers" trope so abruptly (Hans being nice until the very part when the plot calls for him to be evil), harshly (with Kristoff's and Olaf's advice with Anna about Hans), and unexpectedly (by having a handsome prince be the villain since most-to-all Disney villains were all ugly looking). A type of shock amongst audiences and critics alike, reacting, "No way! They JUST did that?!? That's totally not like Disney though!" ...Yet this type of animated movie denouncing the "destined lovers" trope of the past was bound to happen anyways, since there have been many social critics saying that girls growing up on Disney films, instill the fantasy in those now grown-up teen girls and adult women, that their perfect, handsome prince charming is ready to save them (making their standards way too high upon romance). Thus explaining the Troll song about how Kristoff is "imperfect" but lovable. So that's where the hype is most probably coming from in my opinion. Is it different and unlike other Disney films? Yes. But is it really groundbreaking any new territory worthy of its hype? Meh...that's debatable since it seemed more like building societal pressure to ditch the "destined lovers" trope Disney had for so many decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
Well it's not the highest grossing animated film of all time and the 6th highest grossing film of all time for nothing...
Any new mega successful film can claim that, older movies have to be adjusted for inflation to properly rate the degree of success within each of their respective eras. After the adjustment, the 6th highest grossing movie is still E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982). In fact, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs would be considered far more successful than Frozen by having an adjusted gross of $1.7 billion.

Movies like Marvel's The Avengers, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows - Part 2, Iron Man 3, Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King may be all within the Top 10 of highest grossing films, but after their inflation adjustment, none of them reach the Top 10 afterward.

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 05-15-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #103
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Frozen’ Characters to Return in ‘Frozen Fever’ Animated Short

It’s not exactly the “Frozen” sequel, but the characters from the hit animated film will return in “Frozen Fever,” a new short set to debut in spring 2015.

In the short, it’s Anna’s birthday and Elsa and Kristoff are determined to give her the best celebration ever, but Elsa’s icy powers may put more than just the party at risk. Olaf, the snowman, also will make an appearance in the toon.

“Frozen Fever” was revealed during the ABC Television Network special “The Story of Frozen: Making an Animated Classic,” which aired Sept. 2.

Jennifer Lee and Chris Buck will return to direct the short, produced by Peter Del Vecho. It also will include a new original song by Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez.

“Frozen” has generated nearly $1.3 billion for Disney at the worldwide box office.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/di...rt-1201296499/
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:03 AM   #104
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post

“Frozen Fever” was revealed during the ABC Television Network special “The Story of Frozen: Making an Animated Classic,” which aired Sept. 2.
In the meantime the characters are popping up in Once Upon A Time. Anna, Elsa, Kristof, the rock troll guy (John Ryes Davies!), even the Reindeer!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #105
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Awesome news. Can't wait for that short.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #106
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Frozen is coming to Broadway in 2018.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/09...sical-broadway

It will make its world premiere in Denver during the summer of 2017 prior to its run in NYC.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/11...enver-broadway

A Frozen holiday special will also air on ABC in 2017.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/09...ecial-abc-2017
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #107
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I heard about the holiday short on ABC. I wonder if it will be a 30 minute or hour long special.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:48 AM   #108
The Deadman
Foot Elite

I've never understood the appeal of this movie. Is it THAT good?

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:19 PM   #109
Shark_Blade
Emperor

If you're into lesbian incest, then yes.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:36 PM   #110
CyberCubed
Overlord

I watched Frozen and it was pretty good. I have to say I didn't see the villain twist coming at all, since there was no hint toward it, I was expecting a messy ship triangle instead and I'm glad they didn't go that route.

What surprised me even more is how Anna is more of a main character than Elsa. I had thought Elsa was the main character in the film, but the true star was Anna and Elsa was more of a plot catalyst than anything. Weird how Disney mostly promotes Elsa on all the promotional material over her sister when she had a lesser role in the movie.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:57 AM   #111
Shark_Blade
Emperor

She has ice power, of course Disney gonna promote that than the typical girl next door.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:21 AM   #112
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I wouldn't call Anna the typical girl next door but compare her super powered sister she would be considered "normal". Though I hope the rumors are true that Anna will get powers in the sequel and hopefully something different then ice powers like fire, plant, air, etc.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:40 AM   #113
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Yesterday, the new Frozen meet-and-greet attraction, 'Royal Sommerhus' with Anna and Elsa had a soft opening at Walt Disney World's Epcot.

A website Inside the Magic also has plenty of pictures of the attraction in the article at the bottom, including this one.

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2016/0...pens-at-epcot/
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #114
CyberCubed
Overlord

Man, those women are fugly. You think they'd pick more attractive actress' to represent how good the characters looked in the movie.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #115
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Shut up, Cubed.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #116
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

No one cares about your boner.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:18 AM   #117
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Man, those women are fugly. You think they'd pick more attractive actress' to represent how good the characters looked in the movie.
OMG, first of all you're a total inconsiderate @$$hole with incredibly unrealistic standards when it comes to physical beauty.

Secondly, both of those women are gorgeous. Hell, I'd be happy to date someone that sweet and lovely.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:10 PM   #118
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Your desperation is showing.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #119
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

man Cubed you are an inconsiderate prick
Old 06-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #120