The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Why?
It's just the same way it's always been, never gonna change 3 13.64%
They're just trying to recreate Turtlemania from the 90s, and it's working 5 22.73%
They're just trying to recreate Turtlemania from the 90s, but now the wheels are coming off 3 13.64%
They're being idiots, and OotS' failure will hopefully be the slap on the wrist to right the ship 9 40.91%
TMNT is always going to be a property for little kids and nothing but 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Why can't we have nice things?

Seriously. Do you feel that TMNT is perpetually doomed to be held within the realm of "kid fare" with a disproportionate focus on toy sales, etc. and that is something that will never change? Is the "feel" of the last two Platinum Dunes movies simply the byproduct of the same general motif surrounding the TMNT that's pretty much been there in everything "Big Media" before and after the 1990 film, or a specific agenda on behalf of Viacom/Nickelodeon? Is it something that can ever change, and do you feel the (rather spectacular) failure of "Out of the Shadows" (go back in, damn you!) helps things or is just a non-issue?

Secondarily, is it a coincidence that Viacom/Nickelodeon prevents things like the reprinting of Image Vol. 3, or certain "controversial" issues of the Archie comics while the Nicktoon is on something like crossover #4 or 5 with the Fred Wolf show? I mean, are they so committed to presenting the Turtles in the media in a certain (very, very lowbrow and kiddie) light that they want to ensure everything at large is more or less consistent with that light?

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 07-14-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #2
snake
Disgusting

The OT really is the start of all this, but it's not the shows fault that it's the only thing people remember.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
ToTheNines
[sic]

ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
snake
Disgusting

tfw you will never dine with the donald on his jet while discussing worldly matters

What a meeting of the minds that would be
Old 08-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #5
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

At some point the pendulum will swing the other way.
We're just not at that point yet.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
TurtleGuy
Foot Soldier

As long as it's entertaining, I don't give a crap if it's for kids or not.
TurtleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
At some point the pendulum will swing the other way.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:38 AM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

If this was multi-choice I'd vote for the 3rd and 5th options.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I voted the fourth, but I would also have chosen #3, should it have been multi-choice
Old 02-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't know, Andrew, maybe by the time you're 50 we'll get a real Mirage inspired TMNT movie. You just gotta wait till half your life is over.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I don't know, Andrew, maybe by the time you're 50 we'll get a real Mirage inspired TMNT movie. You just gotta wait till half your life is over.
That's way more than half. No way I'll ever see 100.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's way more than half. No way I'll ever see 100.
Most people don't, so it's not a big deal.

I think the "normal" thing is to die in your late 70s/early-mid 80s nowadays, and who knows what our lifespan will be in some decades. Many people's lives are getting cut short by heart diseases and especially cancer, however.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sit...es_1_embed.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...dings_Logo.png

http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/.../7870/TMNT.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...e5c69549c0.jpg

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/eff...622659811.jpeg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7tg378M-22...-Playmates.jpg

Seriously. Do you feel that TMNT is perpetually doomed to be held within the realm of "kid fare" with a disproportionate focus on toy sales, etc. and that is something that will never change? Is the "feel" of the last two Platinum Dunes movies simply the byproduct of the same general motif surrounding the TMNT that's pretty much been there in everything "Big Media" before and after the 1990 film, or a specific agenda on behalf of Viacom/Nickelodeon? Is it something that can ever change, and do you feel the (rather spectacular) failure of "Out of the Shadows" (go back in, damn you!) helps things or is just a non-issue?

Secondarily, is it a coincidence that Viacom/Nickelodeon prevents things like the reprinting of Image Vol. 3, or certain "controversial" issues of the Archie comics while the Nicktoon is on something like crossover #4 or 5 with the Fred Wolf show? I mean, are they so committed to presenting the Turtles in the media in a certain (very, very lowbrow and kiddie) light that they want to ensure everything at large is more or less consistent with that light?
Is it doomed to remain kiddy fair? In the eyes of the public, probably. And I don't think stuff aimed towards children will ever stop.

In the case of Image reprints, there might be other factors holding them back. Guest characters, poor reception back when it was new, lack of continuity with 21st century Mirage etc. The controversial issues issues of Archie seems a bit crap but I guess nobody wants to print a depiction of Muhammed anyway.

The Nick/FW crossovers... Yeah that one is kind of on the nose and I'm not a fan of what they're doing there.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:23 PM   #14
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Some day someone will have the balls to portray them right. We'd still be having Adam West Batman as the main version in all sorts of media outside the comics if someone didn't get the balls to portray him as a bad ass. I just hope this happens with the Turtles during our lifetime.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:38 PM   #15
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I've got a feeling some big event would need to happen in order for things to shift the right way. Maybe Nick would give up on TMNT, maybe Playmates would go bankrupt or lose the license, maybe PL would return to Vol 4, maybe Marvel or DC would ignite nostalgia everywhere for things of eras past. I dunno, but something big would have to happen in order to start the path to a better TMNT.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:48 PM   #16
Wildcat
Foot Elite

So we can make giant complaint topics with no real point now? Cool.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:25 AM   #17
Shark_Blade
Emperor

With Deadpool and Logan getting R-rating at the cinemas, perhaps it is time for TMNT as well.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Some day someone will have the balls to portray them right. We'd still be having Adam West Batman as the main version in all sorts of media outside the comics if someone didn't get the balls to portray him as a bad ass. I just hope this happens with the Turtles during our lifetime.
If it happens in the next movie, we'll actually have to thank Michael Bay for so thoroughly, so spectacularly self-destructing everything that's wrong with McTMNT™ in one fell swoop... leaving TPTB left to consider a different, strong direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
With Deadpool and Logan getting R-rating at the cinemas, perhaps it is time for TMNT as well.
It would be nice, but not wholly required.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #19
Vegita-San
Emperor

like it or not, 90s turtles saved the franchise.

although I AM getting tired of the endless callbacks. it'd be interesting to see what a true mirage version would be like, since no one cares to get the FW versions right other than 4kids.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:41 PM   #20
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
like it or not, 90s turtles saved the franchise.

although I AM getting tired of the endless callbacks. it'd be interesting to see what a true mirage version would be like, since no one cares to get the FW versions right other than 4kids.
Not true. TMNT would've existed with or without the OT. No telling how long it would've lasted, but I think Mirage would have been around til the late 90s at best.