The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Probability of Donatello being from a different clutch of eggs.

It's doubtful that Nick will go this rout, or if they do they wont go all that deeply. And the only characters who are who are twisted enough to point out this possibility are an Evil Clone of Donatello, or Bishop.

But Bishop not likely to appear much before season 3 and Evil Clones while still probable are also up in the air.

However the being from different a different clutch thing is a concept that hasn't been widely used in the other incarnations. With the exception of Next Mutation, it has been explicitly stated they are all related, or it has been ignored completely.

Mind you that just because one of them could be from a different clutch this would not necessarily mean they are not all brothers. They would still be brothers because they were raised together as a family and have always thought of themselves as brothers. So there would be no reason that would change.

But at the same time however, it might bring in a different perspective on some behaviors the other Turtles have towards Donatello. Such as forgetting he exists.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Jeff
Stone Warrior

i'd say the chance of them even addressing this is at 0%.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

at the VERY least, 0%.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
JTH
"ME"

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
But at the same time however, it might bring in a different perspective on some behaviors the other Turtles have towards Donatello. Such as forgetting he exists.
With that winter New York screenshot that popped up a while back, there has been rumors that they will do a Winter/Christmas based episode.

The closest thing they could do with this that I think could really work doing a play on "It's a Wonderful Life" where Donnie after messing up on so many things (Metalhead, Timothy, April by that point in the season) Donnie would wonder what would happen if he never existed. Donnie would then find out that if he hadn't existed, April would have been captured by the Kraang in the pilot because he wasn't there to save her, the mutagen bomb in "The Gauntlet" would have mutated the city and The Kraang would have ultimately destroyed the Earth.

That would be the closest thing to what that relates to.

Boy do I ramble.

Last edited by JTH; 09-12-2013 at 04:59 PM.
JTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
Mad Scientist

I dont get it...
Why is there even a probability Donnie is from a "different clutch of eggs"?

Inventory
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Why Donnie?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord

The old toys always made him the brown/tan skinned/scaled turtle. He certainly stood out from the rest of the "Green Team."

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Mad Scientist

Donnie the minority lol

Inventory
Old 09-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
The old toys always made him the brown/tan skinned/scaled turtle. He certainly stood out from the rest of the "Green Team."
That's just the toy version. They could've made the different skin tones for variety to sell more toys. Or maybe their mother had different boyfriends before they were born.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
Mad Scientist

Ya in nothing more than the toys have we seen the color difference like that.
In all the cartoons they are always shades of green

Inventory
Old 09-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Donnie is the only one with dark colored eyes while his brothers all have light colored eyes. He also has Diastema (the Gap in his teeth).

His face has more of an oval shape to it while his brothers have a slightly rounded and more squashed look to them.

There are other possible explanations for these these traits such as:
  • All of the above mentioned could be a recessive trait.
  • The gap in Donnie's teeth may actually be the result of Raphael or someone knocking one of Donnie's teeth out when they were kids.
  • Or it may be some genetic traits from whoever pulled him out of the tank at the pet store.

The reason I suggest this probability is because it is something that could happen quite easily. As everyone knows Turtles hatch from eggs, and when they hatch they are put together in an aquarium tank until sold.

For humans it's not easy to tell one turtle from another so there could be one clutch or several different clutches in the same tank. For animals however they can tell who is family who isn't through sense of smell, patterning, or some cases vocal tones.

As I stated before just because one could be from another clutch doesn't make them any less brothers. However in someway it feels (to me at least) the other Turtles unconsciously don't recognize Donnie as one of them.

Yeah there are the teasing and poking fun like siblings do. But there are other times where Leo, Raph, and Mikey go off into their own world and Donnie is left standing on the sidelines as though he doesn't exist.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Should they have casted a hispanic or black Donnie for the film?

EDIT: Also....Normal non-mutant turtles don't have teeth. Using Donnie's gap as a sign of him having different parents is a bit weak/

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Donnie is the only one with dark colored eyes while his brothers all have light colored eyes. He also has Diastema (the Gap in his teeth).

Spoiler:

His face has more of an oval shape to it while his brothers have a slightly rounded and more squashed look to them.

• The gap in Donnie's teeth may actually be the result of Raphael or someone knocking one of Donnie's teeth out when they were kids.
  • Or it may be some genetic traits from whoever pulled him out of the tank at the pet store.

The reason I suggest this probability is because it is something that could happen quite easily. As everyone knows Turtles hatch from eggs, and when they hatch they are put together in an aquarium tank until sold.

For humans it's not easy to tell one turtle from another so there could be one clutch or several different clutches in the same tank. For animals however they can tell who is family who isn't through sense of smell, patterning, or some cases vocal tones.

As I stated before just because one could be from another clutch doesn't make them any less brothers. However in someway it feels (to me at least) the other Turtles unconsciously don't recognize Donnie as one of them.

Yeah there are the teasing and poking fun like siblings do. But there are other times where Leo, Raph, and Mikey go off into their own world and Donnie is left standing on the sidelines as though he doesn't exist.
...That's... so much more detail than I think any of the writers, animators, or creators even considered probably.
...And here I thought Don's gap teeth, egg head, and scrawny body were used to fit the visual, physique stereotype of a nerd. As for him "standing on the sidelines", he's the only one interested in science. I don't think his teen brothers could grasp the complexity of the scientific concepts he thinks of. Naturally there's going to be some distance between two levels of highly contrasting intellect.

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 09-12-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYX View Post
...That's... so much more detail than I think any of the writers, animators, or creators even considered probably.
...And here I thought Don's gap teeth, egg head, and scrawny body were used to fit the visual, physique stereotype of a nerd. As for him "standing on the sidelines", he's the only one interested in science. I don't think his teen brothers could grasp the complexity of the scientific concepts he thinks of. Naturally there's going to be some distance between two levels of highly contrasting intellect.
That maybe true. However there are two moments where Donnie is left standing on the sidelines that stand out to me.

The first moment is Metalhead where Donnie is moping by himself while his brothers are playing a video game. At first I thought the reason he was sitting by himself was because is invention nearly got them all killed. But thinking back on it, I don't think that was the case. Yes it's more or less a form of self imposed exile. But in an earlier episode Raph was particularly abrasive towards Mikey, and in the end it's Raph who also comforts Mikey when he's down in the dumps.

The second moment is during the Pulverizer Returns where everyone is doing a high three and no one notices Donnie doesn't join in. If it had been anyone else they would have noticed, but in that moment it was more like Donnie wasn't even a thought in their minds.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #15
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
That maybe true. However there are two moments where Donnie is left standing on the sidelines that stand out to me.

The first moment is Metalhead where Donnie is moping by himself while his brothers are playing a video game. At first I thought the reason he was sitting by himself was because is invention nearly got them all killed. But thinking back on it, I don't think that was the case. Yes it's more or less a form of self imposed exile. But in an earlier episode Raph was particularly abrasive towards Mikey, and in the end it's Raph who also comforts Mikey when he's down in the dumps.

The second moment is during the Pulverizer Returns where everyone is doing a high three and no one notices Donnie doesn't join in. If it had been anyone else they would have noticed, but in that moment it was more like Donnie wasn't even a thought in their minds.
I would have to rewatch the first moment, but as for the second moment, the episode was meant to highlight the responsibility Don had in watching over Timothy since Splinter had stated that since Don taught Timothy some martial arts moves, it made Don responsible for Timothy somewhat.

Also you have to remember these are younger depicted versions of the Turtles, so they won't be so subtly in-tuned to their brothers' emotions, especially with the brothers interpreting someone like Donnie who prefers to seclude himself with his gadgets.

If these occurrences were more frequent and unrelated to a Don-centric episode, I could see your standpoint. But... ehh... I think it's just more personality/intellect differences, and highlighting Donnie's weight of guilt/failing, not anything as dramatic as being unrelated.

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 09-12-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #16
Gin Rummy
Stone Warrior

I believe they are all from the same batch. So what if they look and act different, they're not supposed to be clones.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #17
Vivi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYX View Post
...And here I thought Don's gap teeth, egg head, and scrawny body were used to fit the visual, physique stereotype of a nerd. .
I love gaps between front teeth. Not nerdy at all. Thanks Jason Bateman. Besides that, it is totally possible for siblings to have brown and blue colored eyes. But then again, that mutagen could have done anything and is an easy coverall explanation.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #18
Mad Scientist

Green, Blue, and Brown.
I think Leo and Mike both have blue eyes. Raph is kinda the odd one out 'cus green eyes are sorta rare in humans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
I love gaps between front teeth. Not nerdy at all. Thanks Jason Bateman. Besides that, it is totally possible for siblings to have brown and blue colored eyes. But then again, that mutagen could have done anything and is an easy coverall explanation.
My mom has brown eyes while her twin brothers had green eyes.

Quote:

Mike is more like a kid in this show...
I think Raph consoled his younger brother because Raph generally likes his brother, even if he beats him up or has him play that game of Mercy (Turtle Temper).
Because Mikey is very childlike and "innocent", I think Raph took it upon himself to cheer him up.
Donnie has never been shown to need that kind of emotional support and is usually portrayed as a loner in the comics, if I remember right.

I dont think this is a sign of alienation or whatever.
In addition: The original E&L comics tell you that Raph is closer to Mikey then to his other brothers.
Quote:
And Mikey is the only one with freckles. He's also considerably short now.
Quote:

I do want to point out that in real life... Turtles don't have teeth.
Also it's infrequent who has darker skin.
In the Nick cartoon they all have green-ish skin and even the toys reflect that.

Here Leo is clearly the darker colored Turtle. He's got a much richer, blue-green color versus the other Turtles. Donnie actually looks a little pale.

But here Raph seems to have a darker green while Mikey is a bit more yellow-green and Donnie has a pale green.

And here.... I really dont see anything drastic going on.

However the original Donnie figure and the 2003 figure are a dark brown color while this is not reflected in the animations.
And in the video games he's usually the same color as his brothers, unless there is a palette swap option (Turtles in Time - Comic option)

Inventory

Last edited by FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza; 09-13-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #19
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
. With the exception of Next Mutation
And the 1988 bio cards on the toys
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #20
Jeff
Stone Warrior

Quote:
i read this and couldn't continue reading your post because of how stupid it is. Raph has green eyes in Nick Turtles...he obviously has a different mom, right? i could go on and on about the different shades of turtles in different incarnations, but i see A LOT of posts below yours, so its probably been covered.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
donatello