The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 03-01-2022, 08:29 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet

No thread yet? Let me fix that.

I think most of you have heard the Pokémon gen 9 games announcement by now and seen the starters.

Are you hyped? Looks promising to me. The grass cat will definitely be my starter.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:31 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

The starters definetly look interesting, I can't wait to see their fully evolved forms. I wonder who the cat will involve into, hopefully something like a Leopard since we already got a Tiger with Incineroar.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:53 PM   #3
sdp
-

You missed out, that time when the 90s pokemania /pokemon fad died was amazing to be a pkmn fan, al the Pokemon stuff you could ever dream of was worth pennies so you could buy tons of awesome stuff for literally nothing, friends would give you stuff for free because they didn't want it. The fandom was mostly dead with only hardcore fans and aspies in it. Gen3 came out and it got a bunch of fresh new fans into the franchise but it was still mostly seen as a dead brand despite selling very well and it was. Great time to be a fan. Gen4/5 were still fun times to be fans but not as before, the downward spiral strated with Gen6 and Pkmn Go when casuals got back into Pokemon.

bland Cookie Cutter game

Yeah, gen 4 and 5 should've really been 1 gen. Gen 4 felt like a rehash of Gen3 and gen4 was more innovative but looked like Gen4.

Gen6 was barebones and rode on it being 3D, Gen7 had the islands ideas which was cool but it felt short and rushed, it should've been one gen instead of two.

We now have the same with gem8 being a barebones pokemon game, a spin off that has an open world and now finally a new gen with the open world that was played with those two games. Basically unfinished ideas instead of waiting for the real gen to come out.

Last edited by sdp; 07-29-2023 at 05:32 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:44 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
The starters definetly look interesting, I can't wait to see their fully evolved forms. I wonder who the cat will involve into, hopefully something like a Leopard since we already got a Tiger with Incineroar.
It would make sense if it evolved into an Iberian Lynx.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:46 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

9 gens of Pokemon and I still remember when Gold/Silver or Hoenn were new. We'll be at nearly 1000 pokemon at the end of this gen.

Too bad Gamefreak keeps rushing these gens out every 3 years. Pokemon has been annualized for so long there's new games or remakes pretty much every year.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:18 AM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
9 gens of Pokemon and I still remember when Gold/Silver or Hoenn were new. We'll be at nearly 1000 pokemon at the end of this gen.

Too bad Gamefreak keeps rushing these gens out every 3 years. Pokemon has been annualized for so long there's new games or remakes pretty much every year.
Gen 2 was massive at the time. Looking back, it didn't age that well, though. The leveling curve is a bit lousy.

I didn't even notice gen 3 when it came out tbh. By the time I was in 7th grade pretty much no one talked about pokemon at school anymore. It's as if we had all collectively forgotten about its existence.

I remember waking up earlier one Saturday morning around 2004 or 2005 to watch the latest TMNT 2K3 episode and catching an episode of Pokemon Advance before TMNT. I was wondering who the hell May and Max were and where was that Misty girl lol
Old 03-03-2022, 10:18 AM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
You missed out, that time when the 90s pokemania /pokemon fad died was amazing to be a pkmn fan, al the Pokemon stuff you could ever dream of was worth pennies so you could buy tons of awesome stuff for literally nothing, friends would give you stuff for free because they didn't want it. The fandom was mostly dead with only hardcore fans and aspies in it. Gen3 came out and it got a bunch of fresh new fans into the franchise but it was still mostly seen as a dead brand despite selling very well and it was. Great time to be a fan. Gen4/5 were still fun times to be fans but not as before, the downward spiral strated with Gen6 and Pkmn Go when casuals got back into Pokemon.
Because I totally had a lot of cash and freedom to buy stuff like that when I was 12...

Also, if my interest in Pokémon had gone dormant at the time why would I be buying that stuff? The only Pokemon product I spend money on are the games. And after gen 2 I wasn't really interested. I got back to the series with ORAS.
Old 03-03-2022, 08:55 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's weird to think how many younger kids grew up with DP onward and weren't even born when Pokemon started. Over at twitter most Pokemon fans there grew up with DP or BW as their first gens, since they're only in their early 20's. It's surreal to think all these people are literally half my age.
Old 03-03-2022, 09:04 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
It's weird to think how many younger kids grew up with DP onward and weren't even born when Pokemon started. Over at twitter most Pokemon fans there grew up with DP or BW as their first gens, since they're only in their early 20's. It's surreal to think all these people are literally half my age.
Pretty much everyone I know born between 1989 and 1992 outgrew the Pokémon franchise after Gold, Silver and Crystal. Some of them just even stopped after the 1st gen. They just couldn't accept the fact there was now more than 151 Pokémon.

The first two gens are very interconnected and I believe the anime series kept the same main cast of characters in its first 5 years or so. With gen 3 the franchise made a lot of changes and a lot of people just weren't prepared to at the time to deal with them, I guess. In addition to now entering their teenage years, it's no wonder most of the people who grew up with the first two pokemon generations outgrew it and moved on to other fads.

I believe the first two gens are still the highest selling Pokémon games? And the first couple of Pokémon movies aired in cinemas all over the world. I remember everyone knowing the songs from the Pokémon CD 2 Be a Master when I was a kid. Pokemon did remain a very popular and profitable series after 2002, but it was no longer that world stopping phenomenon it was in the previous years. It stopped being THE big thing and just became another big fish in a large ocean.

That being said, a few people I've talked to who grew up with gens 3 and 4 told me that Pokémon wa sjust as big when they were kids as it was when I was a kid. Perhaps I just didn't notice it when I was a teenager since I was no longer immersed into the franchise nor did anyone around my age talk about it in school anymore.
Old 03-03-2022, 09:33 PM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

Can't hate on it, know absolutely nothing about it, but I still remember when this stuff was new and I'm shocked it's still around. Even more so that it became literally the biggest thing there ever was.

Again, not knocking it, it's just weird since absolutely no one at the time expected that would ever be the case. It was just supposed to be another trendy thing like virtual pets and Beanie Babies that kids would go nuts over Today and forget all about by Tomorrow. Pretty wild how it all turned out.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:47 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Can't hate on it, know absolutely nothing about it, but I still remember when this stuff was new and I'm shocked it's still around. Even more so that it became literally the biggest thing there ever was.

Again, not knocking it, it's just weird since absolutely no one at the time expected that would ever be the case. It was just supposed to be another trendy thing like virtual pets and Beanie Babies that kids would go nuts over Today and forget all about by Tomorrow. Pretty wild how it all turned out.
That's completely understandable. I've noticed people born before 1989 tend to have a difficult time grasping the success of Pokémon or seeing the appeal of it. My brother was born in 1983. He did play Pokémon Red back in 1998 or so. He says he must have been the only 15 year old kid in the country playing it at the time. He only played the game because he read very favourable reviews of it and there was A LOT of hype in magazines about this mysterious Pocket Monsters game that was selling like hot cakes in Japan.

...but he didn't care about anything else in the franchise. Whether or was the anime series, the card game or the movies. Because it was clearly aimed at really young kids. And after he finished Red, he never played another Pokémon game again? Why? "I just have a feeling they're all basically the same thing" was his answer.

This is also why a lot of people outgrow pokemon once they enter their teenage years. As good and fun as the games might be, the franchise overall is clearly marketed and aimed at kids. You play as a 10 year old protagonist who can even defeat adults old enough to be your grandparents jn pokemon battles alll over the world. And even defeat dangerous criminals... by beating them in Pokémon battles. So it's no wonder a lot of people over the age of 12 can't sustain disbelief when it comes to this franchise.

Last edited by Prowler; 03-03-2022 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-04-2022, 03:23 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

I mean if you play any other JRPG Pokemon is basically based on that. I think RPG's weren't as big in the west in the 80's and 90's and Final Fantasy was still kind of niche until FF7 came out on PS1.
Old 03-04-2022, 04:48 PM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I mean if you play any other JRPG Pokemon is basically based on that. I think RPG's weren't as big in the west in the 80's and 90's and Final Fantasy was still kind of niche until FF7 came out on PS1.
Yes, of course. Pokémon is probably the best introductory RPG for younger gamers. It was my first ever RPG, in fact.

You're probably right. The SNES had some critically acclaimed RPGs though. But more people were probably playing Super Mario World, Street Fighter 2, A Link to the Past and Mortal Kombat on it than FF3(6), Earthbound, Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG. That being said, I'm sure the SNES helped introduce a lot of Europeans and Americans to JRPGs.

But yes, with PS1 and the high-selling FF7, JRPGs became the coolest genre ever among gamers in the West.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:20 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

Even though I was born in the 80's I was right about in the cut-off point to get into Pokemon. I think I was 12 years old when Red/Blue came out in the U.S., so I was in the inebwteen phrase of being a kid and then turning into a teen, so it just at the right time.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:12 PM   #15
Prowler
Emperor

BTW, this is a little off topic, but I might as well ask it here:

Does anyone actually nickname their own Pokémon? I've never done that it my entire life, nor do I remember anyone back in the day doing it either. And back then, most kids took their Game Boy to school to play Pokémon. And we all crunched over and watched each other play. Which is kind of crazy considering Game Boys didn't good lighting compared to more modern handheld systems. Someone's shadow would basically make you unable to see anything on the screen
Old 06-01-2022, 07:13 AM   #16
superstaff
Mad Scientist

New trailer!
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:22 PM   #17
Turo602
The King of Kings

That Professor guy is pretty cool.
Old 06-01-2022, 02:23 PM   #18
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
That Professor guy is pretty cool.
Looks like a hardboiled ex-detective that lost his wife, and never solved the murder.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:02 PM   #19
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
bland Cookie Cutter game
Aren't they all pretty much the same game? Just different trainers and updated Pokemon?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:57 PM   #20
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Aren't they all pretty much the same game? Just different trainers and updated Pokemon?
Pretty much, yeah.

The core mechanics of the series have been the same since the very first game. With improvements over time due to technological evolution obviously.

Gen 3 added contests as something else to do besides battling random trainers and gym leaders, but they disappeared after gen 4 or 5 games for some reason.

Anyway, it's hard to explain to someone who hasn't played Pokémon what makes a game more enjoyable than other.

For example I love Omega Ruby, but Y felt a little off to me, even if it was a fine game overall and still the same usual Pokémon game.