The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 04-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

This iteration shows why April and Casey should stay as supporting characters

I'm rewatching the Nick tv on Pluto Tv and I am reminded how terrible April's character turned out to be. I was kinda iffy with the whole Kraang plot when I first started it but my god is it worse when knowing how the series bungles it up. A good chunk of the important plot points is literally about her, we don't even get a good conclusion to her origin or mother subplot, awful love triangle and those godawful telekinesis powers that made her op. Casey's problem is that despite not having a lot of episodes directly about him appears in almost every episode seriously did we need Casey Jones in the Space Arc dude basically adds nothing.

Last edited by PApagreg; 04-27-2020 at 09:29 PM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:09 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I agree, I thought April and Casey were better in small doses.

I actually liked April better in the beginning when her abilities and relation with the Kraang were shrouded in mystery, but with time she was given way over the top Psychic powers, which didn't make her unlikeable but made her more clichéd.

Casey on the other hand seemed to become more of a gag character the further the show got.
His first episode was actually more toned down with less "awesome and metal" lines from him, as well as a subplot about his sister and family which is never Brought up again.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:11 PM   #3
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Interesting. I'll have to disagree with you on April. 2012 April is actually my favorite version of the character, mostly because she's the only one that actually stayed relevant to the plot beyond the initial arc. Every other April always fades into the background because no one seems to know what to do with her, but I actually thought that tying her into the Kraang plot was a really good way of keeping her involved. Additionally, she actually developed in skill over time and I think the way they handled her telekinetic powers was actually pretty well done. As for her mother and origin, I thought those were answered. The Kraang kidnapped her mother, experimented on her to make April, and then she died. To me at least, it didn't seem like they were setting anything up, so I had no expectations that it would go anywhere. As for Casey though, yeah this version pretty much sucks for most of the run. I remember when watching the show as it came out that he just kept getting more and more annoying, and he didn't really feel like proper Casey again until the back half of season 4. I think his lowest point was when is response to the world being blown up was how awesome it was that they were in space. Though when I watched the show on DVD it wasn't nearly as bad because I didn't have to wait as long in between episodes. As for the love triangle, I'll agree with you on that. I thought it was interesting initially and was a fairly realistic depiction of a teenager, but it became clear after a while that the writers had written themselves into a corner in how to resolve it, since it would send mixed singnals either way. You'd think it would have been over after the Bigfoot episode, but then they had April kiss Donnie and we were back to square one, until it eventually just faded away.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:01 PM   #4
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
I thought those were answered. The Kraang kidnapped her mother, experimented on her to make April, and then she died. To me at least, it didn't seem like they were setting anything up, so I had no expectations that it would go anywhere.
For me at least I didn't find it to be satisfying especially since this has been a huge plot point for two seasons.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:26 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
Interesting. I'll have to disagree with you on April. 2012 April is actually my favorite version of the character, mostly because she's the only one that actually stayed relevant to the plot beyond the initial arc. Every other April always fades into the background because no one seems to know what to do with her, but I actually thought that tying her into the Kraang plot was a really good way of keeping her involved.
Except that she becomes TOO "relevant" and TOO "involved", in this series, which is part of why it doesn't ultimately work as well as it should.

The various series fall underneath the blanket header, "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". And although April is a component of their story, their story is not her story. She is not a Ninja Turtle, merely turtle-adjacent, so making her such a central focus and devoting gigantic chunks of plot to her for the duration of the series is actually a pretty big misstep.

I mean... "opinions", and all that, sure. And while I wouldn't go so far as to label April and Casey as "minor" characters, I do feel like there's a balance between "Not Enough" and "Too Much" that should be maintained most of the time with regards to their overall involvement, and that this particular show erred far too much towards the latter. Which is part of (but not the only reason) I didn't watch a whole lot of it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:32 PM   #6
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I mean... "opinions", and all that, sure. And while I wouldn't go so far as to label April and Casey as "minor" characters, I do feel like there's a balance between "Not Enough" and "Too Much" that should be maintained most of the time with regards to their overall involvement, and that this particular show erred far too much towards the latter. Which is part of (but not the only reason) I didn't watch a whole lot of it.
Yeah minor is too harsh of a word supporting fits them better.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:16 PM   #7
Leo656
The Franchise

I mean, that's why we have the term "supporting cast", right? Not everyone can be a main character. Especially in a show that already has four of 'em.

Whenever I did catch an episode, in some way or another it was almost always April-centric. Whether it was the stuff with Don or the stuff with her secret origins, whatever... it sometimes felt like most to none of the show's plot could have even happened without her existence/involvement. And that's just too, too much real estate for a supporting cast member.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:16 AM   #8
victory_angel
Foot Elite

I was also iffy about April origins being tied to the Kraang, because even the Kraang themselves aren’t clear on their motives with her. Season 1 they want her because she is meant to be a living weapon. Season 2 they want her because her DNA perfects the mutagen.

If the point of making April connected to the Kraang was the reason for her being Psychic then there are better ways of going about it.

For example, take the Neutrino’s from the 87 series. The Neutrinos are a pacifistic and humanoid race from Dimension X who were being terrorized by Krang and his forces. In one episode the leaders of the Neutrino’s send their infant daughter Tribble to the turtles to look after. That’s where it is revealed that Neutrino’s have psychic powers as babies that fade away as they grow older.

So in the 2k12 series they could have played it out this way.
Season 1 play out more or less the same way, except for April being used as a living weapon. She is just told her existence brings hope to a group of people the Kraang are oppressing.

Season 2 it is revealed that April is genetically connected to Dimension X. Reveal more of what April remembered of the day she lost her mother. Maybe imply April’s mother has association to Dimension X and the Kraang want April because of her mother’s blood line.

Season 3 Cut our all the horror movie reference and homages. April comes across a journal written by her mother at the farm house. Through it she learns her mother was a neutrino who had escaped Dimension X when the Kraang were beginning their oppression of the Kraang race. This explains why April had psychic powers because that is something the Neutrino possess.

Season 4 While the turtles and everyone were in space they encounter a Neutrino resistance group which is how Zak, Dask, and Talla are introduced. It’s here that it’s revealed that April’s mother was Princess Trible. She escaped Dimension X so that way her people would take comfort in knowing she was free. She hides herself on Earth for many years and assimilates herself all the while trying to avoid being detected by the Kraang.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:25 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

April's mother died, April never thought she was going to find her. When she says, "Maybe she's still out there, somewhere" in early Season 3 it was never intended to be a plotline to search for her.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:00 AM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Though it could have been a fun plot.

I still kind of want her mom to show up out of the blue, having just finally found her way back to Earth after spending all those years as some intergalactic space warrior. Battle hardened and no longer the same woman who lives in April's memories, but an awesome badass nonetheless.

Finding her could make a good 2012 special/movie plot...
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:33 AM   #11
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Finding her could make a good 2012 special/movie plot...
Her and the Kraang, they both needed a bigger send off due to all the build up.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:49 AM   #12
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Her and the Kraang, they both needed a bigger send off due to all the build up.
From what I understand Ciro Nielli has a TV movie ready called "return of the Kraang" it's too bad they never got around to making it.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:54 AM   #13
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
From what I understand Ciro Nielli has a TV movie ready called "return of the Kraang" it's too bad they never got around to making it.
Has the cancellation offiially been claimed?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:01 AM   #14
victory_angel
Foot Elite

The show runners confirmed after the series was over that April’s mother was killed after she was recaptured. All it would have taken would have been Bishop take April aside in his debut episode and ask to talk to her privately. The turtles and or Casey watch the exchange and while we don’t hear what is being said April’s reaction would show the info given wasn’t good. Then when April rejoins her companions she has a tone and or look that says the battle against the Kraang just got personal.

Last edited by victory_angel; 04-30-2020 at 05:07 AM.
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:23 AM   #15
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
The show runners confirmed after the series was over that April’s mother was killed after she was recaptured.
Are there any links?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:12 AM   #16
snake
Disgusting

I disagree. I think these particular versions of April and Casey should have been regulated to less importance, but I think Mirage and IDW both make compelling cases for their relevance in future incarnations. It’s about how well they’re written, not their screentime. If there’s a Casey/April centric story that’s compelling and a writer wants to tell, by all means tell it. Just make sure they’re entertaining to watch, which 2k12’s Casey/April were not.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:32 PM   #17
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
I was also iffy about April origins being tied to the Kraang, because even the Kraang themselves aren’t clear on their motives with her. Season 1 they want her because she is meant to be a living weapon. Season 2 they want her because her DNA perfects the mutagen.

If the point of making April connected to the Kraang was the reason for her being Psychic then there are better ways of going about it.

For example, take the Neutrino’s from the 87 series. The Neutrinos are a pacifistic and humanoid race from Dimension X who were being terrorized by Krang and his forces. In one episode the leaders of the Neutrino’s send their infant daughter Tribble to the turtles to look after. That’s where it is revealed that Neutrino’s have psychic powers as babies that fade away as they grow older.

So in the 2k12 series they could have played it out this way.
Season 1 play out more or less the same way, except for April being used as a living weapon. She is just told her existence brings hope to a group of people the Kraang are oppressing.

Season 2 it is revealed that April is genetically connected to Dimension X. Reveal more of what April remembered of the day she lost her mother. Maybe imply April’s mother has association to Dimension X and the Kraang want April because of her mother’s blood line.

Season 3 Cut our all the horror movie reference and homages. April comes across a journal written by her mother at the farm house. Through it she learns her mother was a neutrino who had escaped Dimension X when the Kraang were beginning their oppression of the Kraang race. This explains why April had psychic powers because that is something the Neutrino possess.

Season 4 While the turtles and everyone were in space they encounter a Neutrino resistance group which is how Zak, Dask, and Talla are introduced. It’s here that it’s revealed that April’s mother was Princess Trible. She escaped Dimension X so that way her people would take comfort in knowing she was free. She hides herself on Earth for many years and assimilates herself all the while trying to avoid being detected by the Kraang.

Even though I prefer her to be human I kinda like this idea.

Also another negative is that the fight scenes became too croweded, compare a fight in season 1 with a fight in season 4 and notice how methodically the former is while the latter has too much stuff going on. It gets worse during the city half of season 4 where Karai and Shinigami are added to the mix and you got a 8 people on the Hamato side fighting 6 mutants from the Foot
Old 05-01-2020, 07:03 PM   #18
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

April was a more likeable version of Venus.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:35 PM   #19
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Are there any links?
It was stated on facebook some years ago.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:36 PM   #20
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

I found April and Casey likable as characters. But I do have to admit April was OP.

At the same time it didn't even bother me that she was OP. What bothered me is the story about her character ended on a wet fart.

Casey is okay but I noticed the writers used him as a mood killer. The show was determined to not let somber moments exist and I noticed Casey was often used to go "LOL WE'RE A KIDS CARTOON DON'T FORGET THAT." And I hated that so much.

True the space arc didn't need them and if i had written that season they would have stayed on earth. But while on earth and in New York I had no issue with them being regulars.

@ Victory Angel. That Idea is actually freaking amazing. Especially since 2k12 totally screwed up the Neutrinos with it stupid "cameo in name only" thing.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!

Last edited by Dejablue; 05-01-2020 at 10:41 PM.
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote