The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 04-05-2024, 05:50 PM   #41
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
think ol' ross is still there ruining the book with mutant town stuff?

IIRC, I thought I read somewhere they where going to reboot it with a new team? checked out at issue 100
I don't know how you don't know this, the series is starting over with a new #1 but keeping the same continuity with Jason Aaron being the new head writer replacing Sophie. This has been known for a few months now.

Tom and Sophie will still be writing some of the mini-series.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 07:00 PM   #42
neatoman
Emperor

Uh, yeah. Mutant Town itself will probably stick around in some capacity but the run finally ending. Though considering what an embarrassment it represents, I wouldn't be surprised if that whole aspect is toned down and (somehow) written out quietly.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:21 PM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The smartest move would have been just, "a year has passed, maybe Mutant Town and all of those extra side characters are still out there but we're not going to feature them or talk about them for the foreseeable future."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:43 PM   #44
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Funny this is all happening when TMNT comic output at IDW is larger than ever. Like they're going to be releasing like 5-6 different ongoing TMNT comics each month come June/August.
They have to do something to try to keep the company going. TLR proved this was a franchise that could make them the money they need to continue. The last time Tom Waltz was on here he assured us that things were just fine right as IDW was being delisted from the stock market. Last I checked the stock was at a record low (like 40 cents I think?). If this is what is selling then heck yeah they are going to double down on success. All us whales are what's keeping the company afloat.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 11:21 PM   #45
Stu_Padasso
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut810 View Post
They have to do something to try to keep the company going. TLR proved this was a franchise that could make them the money they need to continue. The last time Tom Waltz was on here he assured us that things were just fine right as IDW was being delisted from the stock market. Last I checked the stock was at a record low (like 40 cents I think?). If this is what is selling then heck yeah they are going to double down on success. All us whales are what's keeping the company afloat.
Fourty Cents?! Boy, I should really check that Powerball ticket I bought a couple days ago.

*evil chuckle*

Hey, Andrew. How does the title of “Editor in Chief” sound to you?
Stu_Padasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 12:36 AM   #46
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Is TMNT the only thing keeping them afloat at this point? They still have the Sonic license I believe. They also make Star Trek comics that literally nobody reads.
Old 04-06-2024, 12:39 AM   #47
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
They also make Star Trek comics that literally nobody reads.
They make Star Trek comics that are loathsome. Though to be fair, nobody has really been able to get successful Star Trek comics going for very long since the 90s. It's just a hell of a thing for them to try and makes ones now based on stuff like Discovery, when even 20, 30 years ago nobody could even make them work when they were based on actually quality Star Trek series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Padasso View Post
Hey, Andrew. How does the title of “Editor in Chief” sound to you?
It sounds like not a lot of job security, at the current trajectory. Though "showrunning" Star Trek and TMNT comics? Oh, that would be amazing. For as long as that could possibly last.
Old 04-06-2024, 03:54 AM   #48
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

The whole Mutant Town thing has the potential to do better and explore. But they wasted so much time writing Netflix teenage slice-of-life drama. The Turtles no longer look like ninjas. They don't seem to worry about their ninja identities being revealed to the public.
TheLabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 07:35 AM   #49
GameCobra
Random Punk

The Sonic series I'm hearing is doing ok.

As for Mutant Town: When it was first introduced back in issue 101, I thought it was amazing when it first came out. Moving the turtles to a slice of life after everything that happened in issue 100 felt liike an amazing change for awhile.

The honestly problem with it is that it focused on it for too long. As soon as Alopex got her green bandana, that was the moment the comic should've jumped right back into the action. I loved when they were defending the dojo from hob's goons at the time and hoped for more action like that, but it got too laid back after that.
GameCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 08:39 AM   #50
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameCobra View Post
The Sonic series I'm hearing is doing ok.

As for Mutant Town: When it was first introduced back in issue 101, I thought it was amazing when it first came out. Moving the turtles to a slice of life after everything that happened in issue 100 felt liike an amazing change for awhile.

The honestly problem with it is that it focused on it for too long. As soon as Alopex got her green bandana, that was the moment the comic should've jumped right back into the action. I loved when they were defending the dojo from hob's goons at the time and hoped for more action like that, but it got too laid back after that.
#101-#105 was a horrible breather arc, but with the Turtles a unit once more they should have focused on finding a cure for the innocent humans who were victims of Hob's mutagen bomb. In other iterations Donatello toiled night and day until he came up with a retro-mutagen. Then #106 it's back to action and build towards Armaggon Game, ease off some of the dangling plotlines that Tom did not rush to a close in City at War. However, it went on and on. What we got from #149's reaction to Lita being cured shows that they had no intention on finding a cure which completely out of character and makes no sense plot-wise either.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 04-06-2024 at 08:59 AM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 09:36 AM   #51
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

Some villains like Stockman and Null should doing something important in Mutant Town arc. At least they should kill some members of Mighty Mutanimals because these two are also enemies of Mighty Mutanimals. But no, and even in AG, they're mostly just sit, watch and do nothing.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:59 AM   #52
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Mutant Town should have been the backdrop, not the main focus. Get back to the action, maybe injure one of the Turtles, and while they heal up you can see all the Mutant Town characters.

Another idea I had was make the next big bad blow up Mutant Town. Not only would it get rid of it, it would also be a big build up and great way to introduce the next big threat.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 04:49 PM   #53
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They make Star Trek comics that are loathsome. Though to be fair, nobody has really been able to get successful Star Trek comics going for very long since the 90s. It's just a hell of a thing for them to try and makes ones now based on stuff like Discovery, when even 20, 30 years ago nobody could even make them work when they were based on actually quality Star Trek series.
The weirdest thing about the Star Trek comics is they just exist and are not acknowledged officially or anything. Like there's a whole storyline where Sisko comes back to Deep Space 9 after being with the prophets and there's a whole sequel series to DS9 taking place after the last season, but of course none of it is really "canon" since the TV shows will never acknowledge it.

There's a whole bunch of comics for Kirk/Spock, for Picard after TNG, but they're not acknowledged at all as if they don't exist. Like the stories are not considered canon or part of the timeline, yet they still keep making them.

I guess the rule of thumb for Star Trek is if it doesn't happen in a TV show or movie, it's not canon. So all those Star Trek novels and comic books since the 90's are like...just there.
Old 04-06-2024, 06:50 PM   #54
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
The weirdest thing about the Star Trek comics is they just exist and are not acknowledged officially or anything. Like there's a whole storyline where Sisko comes back to Deep Space 9 after being with the prophets and there's a whole sequel series to DS9 taking place after the last season, but of course none of it is really "canon" since the TV shows will never acknowledge it.

There's a whole bunch of comics for Kirk/Spock, for Picard after TNG, but they're not acknowledged at all as if they don't exist. Like the stories are not considered canon or part of the timeline, yet they still keep making them.

I guess the rule of thumb for Star Trek is if it doesn't happen in a TV show or movie, it's not canon. So all those Star Trek novels and comic books since the 90's are like...just there.
Pretty much the same for most film franchises, especially Star Wars after the Disney sale. I suppose Indiana Jones at least throws some easter eggs at the games and books and the old TV show.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 10:57 AM   #55
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

Hob could have been a great villain, but apparently Waltz and Campbell totally screwed him over. He hates humans including human mutants, but then he suddenly care about human mutants for no reason. It's not like Hob doesn't have the makings of a villain, like being a child slavery trafficking criminal, it's just that I don't understand why they Insist that Hob is a hero or antihero.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM   #56
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:

Even newer comics post-JJ, where they specifically promised the comics would count like in "Countdown." All of that invalidated by season 1 of "Picard."
Old 04-12-2024, 06:10 AM   #57
BornAgain
Foot Soldier

Big comic news coming today.

Quite the week for TMNT fans.
BornAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 09:56 PM   #58
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Whats happening now?
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 11:45 PM   #59
BornAgain
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Whats happening now?
Sorry, should have clarified it was the 40th anniversary issue. Tbh I was under the impression that Laird and Eastman were doing a short story but it’s just a cover. Still cool though.
BornAgain is offline   Reply With Quote