The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-05-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
Shift
Random Punk

TMNT III: Anything GOOD In It?

I was having a discussion with someone on another forum about TMNT III and whether it has any merits. I didn't enjoy it myself, and he agrees it's not a good movie, but that next to II with Tokka and Rahzar's infantile nature, Vanilla Ice instantly dating the film, and Super Shredder's lame demise, III's not the only movie deserving of shame. He even pointed out that III had some good set up, such as the Japanese setting, the villain being an arms dealer, and the turtles being divided on whether to stay or go back home, in addition to some of the character moments spread throughout the movie.

I'm just wondering if anyone else here has good things to say about III, because the way he explained it, it almost makes me want to give the film another chance.
Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

I quite like Movie III's plot and scenery and action scenes. Also some nice development for Raph/Yoshi and Mike/Mitsu. Leo and Don also have some funny moments in the movie as does Casey.

If the costumes were on par with the second movie and they toned down some of the corny jokes, I'd have no problem with it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
sdp
-

I want to like it, but it's hard the plot is just so generic that I can't find it special in any way but there are plenty of GOOD things in it which is why I want to like it.

- The turtle suits allow for the most movement and they actually use their weapons quite a bit so it's nice and it shows as we see the turtles do things that they couldn't even in the first movie.

-The Time scepter and going to ancient japan/using the Kappas as part of the plot are great ideas that sadly don't have much else in the plot.

-Casey Jones in the present with the samurai added comedy even if it was sad that we didn't see him in action.

The movie needed a better villain and plot and we could've overlooked the dialog or acting like we did in II. It certainly had some things going for it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Even though the main plot was generic I think it had potential but they didn't do much with it.

Although I did find Raph bonding with that kid sweet.

(Another random thing: the guy who played the villain was in an episode of Space 1999).
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
ToTheNines
[sic]

Yeah, I'd give it another chance. It has some decent action, too. Especially compared to the totally neutered fights in SotO.

I really wish the Henson people could have stayed for the third one. We wouldn't be having this conversation then.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I stand by my statement that TMNT III would be remembered more fondly if the costumes were still Henson-made.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I stand by my statement that TMNT III would be remembered more fondly if the costumes were still Henson-made.
I totally agree with this. Those costumes were atrocious.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:31 PM   #8
billbot85
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
My point exactly. It's hard to get past how bad the costumes look in this movie. Even watching it as a kid the difference in their appearances was more than obvious, and I was even kinda disappointed with the movie back then, too. It just didn't leave the same impact on me the way the first two films did. Most of the time, it just didn't feel like a TMNT movie.

Some things I did like in the movie though was: some of the fight scenes, Casey Jones returning, the setting being in feudal Japan, the relationship the turtles have with Yoshi (especially Raph) and the other villagers.

GIFSoup
billbot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:08 AM   #9
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
I was having a discussion with someone on another forum about TMNT III and whether it has any merits. I didn't enjoy it myself, and he agrees it's not a good movie, but that next to II with Tokka and Rahzar's infantile nature, Vanilla Ice instantly dating the film, and Super Shredder's lame demise, III's not the only movie deserving of shame. He even pointed out that III had some good set up, such as the Japanese setting, the villain being an arms dealer, and the turtles being divided on whether to stay or go back home, in addition to some of the character moments spread throughout the movie.

I'm just wondering if anyone else here has good things to say about III, because the way he explained it, it almost makes me want to give the film another chance.
Tarzan Boy.

The movie had a lot of potential, just poorly executed, IMO.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #10
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

As a whole, not a great movie.
But there are parts of it I find immensely entertaining.

Though, I totally prefer the original story by Dooney way more.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #11
pferreira
Foot Elite

What works best for the movie is the fact that out of all three films it feels the most epic with it's location scenery. A lot of the film is well directed, the acting is good but the jokes as well as the costume heads are pretty bad. While I understand setting it in Japan was a nice idea the reason we like the Turtles is their interactions with New York City. This is why people point to Tarzan Boy being one of the better moments in the movie because it has a scene set in a New York club/bar. It's a glimpse at a different sequel.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:00 AM   #12
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

The technology under the unfortunate looking costumes was great for its time.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #13
biganimefan
Foot Soldier

I know I'm in the vast minority here, but TMNT III remains to this day my personal favorite of the movies. Does it have issues? Oh Yeah, it certainly does! But as a kid especially I loved time travel stories and its Japan setting definitely helps I think. But I definitely agree that the costumes are sub-par at best.
biganimefan is offline   Reply With Quote