The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #41
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Jungle Book is amazing. AMAZING.

Omg I can't even. The best. Them visuals. The songs. The faithful live action version (Maleficent who?). The story. The jokes. The charm. The endearing characters. That different ending.

I need to see it again. I can't. I want. I want it. Like now. Yaaaas. Peace.

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:34 PM   #42
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groverman62 View Post
How many do we have?
With this one and the upcoming 2018 Warner Bros movie there's 6 Live-Action Jungle Books movies that I know off, although I could be forgetting a few more.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #43
Shark_Blade
Emperor

We're gonna have a sequel live action by Disney too. I reckon it's gonna be more faithful to the books.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:32 AM   #44
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

Critical consensus is up:

Quote:
As lovely to behold as it is engrossing to watch, The Jungle Book is the rare remake that actually improves upon its predecessors -- all while setting a new standard for CGI.
Still sitting pretty. Though I still expect a few Rotten scores to pop up come opening day.
DarkLightDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:17 PM   #45
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Glad to hear this film is doing well. Looking forward to seeing it.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #46
Vicky82
Emperor

Just got back from seeing this, it was great.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:33 PM   #47
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

Just saw it myself. It was alright.

Some things I liked about it over the animated film:

Spoiler:
-Mowgli's more bearable. Even as a kid watching the 1967 version, I was always annoyed by his brattiness. Yes, he did have a right to be given the position he was in (being forced into something you don't want or are unsure of) but he didn't need to be insufferable about it with the whole "I wanna stay in the jungle!" or "I can take care of myself!" Yeah, I'll believe you can take care of yourself when you can get out of the scraps you get yourself into without having someone come save your a**. 2016 Mowgli was actually self-efficient and resourceful in making tools or "tricks" as the animals called it. I could actually believe he can stay in the jungle here given his already decent survival skills.

-The Wolf Pack have a slightly bigger role. Much appreciated since the Wolf Pack only appeared at the beginning of the 1967 film and that's it. Here it's nice to see more of Mowgli's family and why he'd be so reluctant to leaving them.

-Bahgeera was more awesome. He fights Shere Khan twice just to keep him away from Mowgli.

Things that were eh:

Spoiler:
-What they did with Kaa was....weird. No, I'm not saying with them gender-flipping him, no, basically serving as exposition for Mowgli regarding his origins. Okay, couple questions:

1. How does Kaa know this? Was she there when it happened? Or is she just some mystical snake that sees the past and future for each person?

2. Why bothering showing any of this to someone you're clearly dead-set on eating anyway? That would be like me putting on a big, pointless show for a meal before I take a bite.

Yeah, I felt the exposition could've be given to any other character besides Kaa. Her sweet-talking and mesmerizing Mowglis should've been sufficient, no need to bring up the "oh yeah, here's your backstory."

-Baloo being a con-artist getting Mowgli to do his dirty work. I don't hate this myself, but I know some might be a bit put off by slight change to a loveable character. Granted he does still develops genuine feelings towards Mowgli by the end, but it's still might be strange for those who were expecting Baloo to be the least changed from his animated counterpart.

-The incorporation of I Wanna Be Like You during the meeting of King Louie was awkward as well. Not Christopher singing it, no, he was fine. But the way the scene plays leading up to his reveal was straight-up serious and suspenseful, so having him break-out and sing just kinda broke the suspense. Though it does pick back up during the escape sequence.

Bottom line, if you like the 1967 version, you'll probably like this one too. Though there is some lip-service towards the original book with the wolves reciting the Law of the Jungle several times.

Last edited by DarkLightDragon; 04-16-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #48
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Crushed it at the box office:

“@ERCboxoffice: Boom! Jungle Boogie. Disney's THE JUNGLE BOOK defied all expectations, opening with a massive $103.5M this weekend.”
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #49
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I went to see it in 3-D last night and I thought it was fantastic film. The 3-D really made me feel like I was in the jungle. Favreau really brought out the best in the voice cast and the kid playing Mowgli was perfect.

Spoiler:
When Kaa was hypnotizing Mowgli, she told him the story of how Shere Khan killed Mowgli's father and how Baghera found him. In this film, it was Baloo who saved Mowgli from Kaa. Also, Mowgli gets kidnapped by the monkeys after Baloo tells him he needs to go to the man village instead of after they sing "Bare Necessities". The climatic battle that Mowgli and the other animals had with Shere Khan in the end was very action-packed. The ending is different from the original. In this version, Mowgli stays in the jungle instead of going to the man village.
Overall, it's well-worth seeing in theaters.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #50
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Just got back from seeing it and it was great! I was a little put off by Louie's song given how that scene played out, but otherwise I had no issues with it. Kaa was interesting, and I really loved seeing more of the wolves like in the book.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:59 PM   #51
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I was reluctant about going to see it, but pretty much everyone told me it's a must-see. I really enjoyed it, and that was some spot-on CGI. The little kid actor was a little annoying to me at times, but not detrimentally.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:43 PM   #52
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

ust came back from watching the new Jungle Book remake, and it completely blew me away. There is so much about the film that I absolutely adore:

1. The CG in my opinion is groundbreaking
2. The sheer scale of the movie's plot, with so many locations and animals
3. The voice acting, I especially liked Bill Murray as Baloo and Scarlett Johanson as Kaa
4. I liked the many nods to the original novel as well as the cartoon film while still being its own thing.
5. A handful of funny moments
6. Intense chase/action scenes with those jumpscares that caught me off guard.
7. New interpretations of characters like Louie, Kaa and the Elephants.

My only two nitpicks were that they could've used a little bit more comedy while cutting down a little on the action scenes. Also, Kaa got only one scene which i thought is a shame coz she could've appeared a scene or two more.

Minor complaints pushed aside, I thought this was a fantastic film and I give it a 9/10. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 05-03-2016 at 05:56 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:45 PM   #53
snake
Disgusting

I loved it. Not much to complain about besides Kaa. Such a scary design and scene ruined by that voice.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:48 PM   #54
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

ya I just saw it today. I thought it was fantastic
Old 04-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #55
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I loved it. Not much to complain about besides Kaa. Such a scary design and scene ruined by that voice.
Oh yeah, for sure. Her she really sounded like she didn't wanna be there.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #56
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Oh yeah, for sure. Her she really sounded like she didn't wanna be there.
Totally. Not a good casting choice at all.

Christopher Walken was great though. I loved him singing.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:53 AM   #57
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

I'll give her kudos for at least nailing the seductive and soothing part of the voice (albeit trying to seduce a little kid with that voice can have more disturbing implications) but yeah, compared to the rest of the cast, she was kind of the weaker link.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:12 AM   #58
Shark_Blade
Emperor

She should have had her own scene for this song tbh.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:28 PM   #59
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I just got back from seeing it...and well...

Spoiler:
To list my issues
  • Kaa was useless. What was her purpose? To be an oversized exposition fairy that never appears again? Where did she go after Baloo saved Mowgli from her? Why did she know Mowgli's history? Why did she feel the need to tell him that to subdue him? Why did she need to be "bad?" Why couldn't she have helped deal with the Bandar-Log? As said above, she was not fully utilized and it was a huge disappointment that she didn't sing her song in the actual movie.
  • Baloo is a con artist didn't really fit, plus it's a boring character trait by now, especially in children's films. It took away time that other things could have been worked on, like Kaa having more of a role, or even squeezing in the Beetles vultures somehow. A lot of the animals seem to have picked up their dialogue ticks from them.
  • Why are the animals so huge? Even compared to a little boy, the wolves shouldn't be that big. Plus the movements of their mouths felt a little off at times. The Uncanny Valley was incredibly strong with most aspects of the animals.
  • Lots of backtracking. It seemed like Mowgli went in a full circle through the movie, with a little bit of back and forth.
  • Mowgli staying in the Jungle...why?! Just WHY!? WHY!? That is not the point of the Jungle Book! Anywhere!
    Yeah, this is what I have to say to that crock of tripe.

Things that were okay
  • INDEED that was Christopher Walken singing the Monkey Song. Walken as King Louie was an odd choice, but there was something amusing about his performance...much like any other. But this one was a true gem because he had to sing a really energetic song...while his character was barely moving. I realized after watching the movie that right before Mowgli meets Louie, he plays with a cowbell laying among the ruins. Were they deliberately putting a cowbell close to Walken for a subtle "needs more cowbell" joke, or was it an accident?
  • BAGHEERA. Just as cool here as he was in the original cartoon...who one of my cats is named after.
  • Raksha the wolf mother is kind of a mix; while she just sort of bummed around worrying, she didn't really lose the badassery of Kipling's Raksha
  • Mowgli's ingenuity. It was great to see him good at building things and using "tricks" to get by...which is why he should have gone to the Man Village, where his talents would be truly appreciated.
  • "This is my rock. That rock's mine. Oh that rock, that's my rock." Oh, possessive Indian Porcupine...
  • The inclusion of a pangolin. What a way to reach an audience on those endangered animals; might even contribute to recovering their numbers.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 05-02-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #60
The Deadman
Foot Elite

The Jungle Book Roars Past $700 Million Worldwide

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote