The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 05-21-2019, 02:29 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Things that annoy you about the TMNT fandom?

All fandoms/fanbases have their issues. What annoys you about TMNT's?

Using the FW series as the golden standard of TMNT: We all know very well by now that a huge portion of TMNT fans think everything TMNT has to be like the FW toon and they consider it the definitive version of TMNT.

The low standards of a big portion of the fandom: It's like a lot of TMNT fans will just accept anything, no matter how bad it might be, just because it has the TMNT label slapped on it. Like the Bay films, for example. They might have gotten a lot of backlash online but clearly a lot of people paid to watch those movies and some people in these forums actually admitted to watch them at the cinema SEVERAL TIMES.

What about you about the TMNT fandom?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

The aspect of "Everything has to be edgy"

How dare the ROTMNT not be butting heads and being mean to each other? Why aren't Raph and Leo constantly fighting for authority?
Old 05-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

Using the FW series as the golden standard of TMNT: We all know very well by now that a huge portion of TMNT fans think everything TMNT has to be like the FW toon and they consider it the definitive version of TMNT.

The low standards of a big portion of the fandom: It's like a lot of TMNT fans will just accept anything, no matter how bad it might be, just because it has the TMNT label slapped on it. Like the Bay films, for example. They might have gotten a lot of backlash online but clearly a lot of people paid to watch those movies and some people in these forums actually admitted to watch them at the cinema SEVERAL TIMES.

You covered my main gripes. But I'm sure I piss off as many people with my opinions as they do me.

I'd add, no adult/older-teen oriented series or movies, aka, why don't we have our Netflix Daredevil or Guardians of the Galaxy quality TMNT yet?
Old 05-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

A GOTG-type TMNT would be absolutely amazing!

Or even something Thor: Ragnarok in tone.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #5
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

actually this pretty much covers it. Id add that the Official TMNT twitter annoys me its such a shill for the crappy aspects of the TMNT
Old 05-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post

An apt comparison with the space gladiatorial stuff. Triceratons in place of Hulk, yadda yadda.

Something with heart, action, but (mostly) serious tone. Though I'm much more preferring of Daredevil with a little more humor.

Anywhere on the Daredevil to GOTG1 spectrum, I'd be satisfied with.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
You covered my main gripes. But I'm sure I piss off as many people with my opinions as they do me.

I'd add, no adult/older-teen oriented series or movies, aka, why don't we have our Netflix Daredevil or Guardians of the Galaxy quality TMNT yet?
That's not related to the fandom, since 99% of the fandom isn't in charge. Although you could say a large part of the fandom is also to blame for wanting TMNT to remain as a kid property.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:46 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

The defensive comments even from within that allows the "just a kids thing" stigma to hold on and continue to shortchange what TMNT can be and actually started out as.

Beyond that, the main things are the things that bother me about modern fandom in general... In particular, the absurd amount of incest interest and the treatment of fandom now as a club for people to get attention. I don't know how many times I've seen dumb kids threatening to "leave" a fandom because they're not getting enough attention for their art and, more often than not, their OCs. A portion of fandom seems like it is hardly even about the actual canon characters and their series/franchise anymore...
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:47 PM   #9
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man

Taking one iteration and believing that iteration is THE quintessential version and forcing it on others.

We all have our favorite renditions of the Turtles. But when you see/hear a discussion on one you don't favor and chime in with ridicule and how much your favorite is better, that's dickish and setting yourself up for an argument.

The franchise has been bounced around so much that at this point, I think it's best to just make discoveries to the versions you haven't seen, find your favorites and hold them dear, don't indulge in the ones you dislike, and leave it at that.

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:30 PM   #10
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROW View Post
Taking one iteration and believing that iteration is THE quintessential version and forcing it on others.

We all have our favorite renditions of the Turtles. But when you see/hear a discussion on one you don't favor and chime in with ridicule and how much your favorite is better, that's dickish and setting yourself up for an argument.

The franchise has been bounced around so much that at this point, I think it's best to just make discoveries to the versions you haven't seen, find your favorites and hold them dear, don't indulge in the ones you dislike, and leave it at that.
This. All of this. My exact feelings.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:45 PM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Why aren't Raph and Leo constantly fighting for authority?
Well... that's a huge part of who their characters are. It doesn't have to be CONSTANT but it's part of who they are as "people". Like Jonny Storm and Ben Grimm givin' each other the business, for example.

Meanwhile, others have already said pretty much what I would say.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #12
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:

While those are both enjoyable, they're not quite what I want for a TMNT film. If anything, GotG's tone kinda annoys me at times.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #13
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Although I would not really mind a TMNT/GotG crossover movie for the heck of it.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:26 PM   #14
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

This may be due to TMNT being 35 years young and having been run independently for most of its lifetime, but it's annoying how difficult it is to find rare behind the scenes and promotional materials for the movies and shows. It seems to me that other fanbases as young as TMNT are able to archive and share their rarer aspects in a more accessible way. There's a lot of stuff from the 1987 cartoon, the movies, The Next Mutation, and the 2003 show that has been lost to time or is inaccessible to the public. For example, The Next Mutation was re-edited for the 2012 DVD releases. Where are the original TV edits? I hope we can do a better part in maintaining TMNT's history when the companies fail to do so.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:06 AM   #15
neatoman
Emperor

TMNT fans who don't read comics and people who draw turtlecest annoy me. Also fans who get offended when you don't pretend the Fred Wolf show is good or somehow deserves to be exempt from criticism for it's impact on the franchise, simply because they still like it themselves.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #16
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Endless amounts of Fans who want every version of the TMNT to follow the Original Cartoon as close as possible

We get it, the OT was/is popular, but it doesn't need to be the template for EVERY TMNT show/movie out there
Old 05-22-2019, 09:02 AM   #17
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
turtlecest
Thankfully, it will never make it to the cartoons or comics.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:01 PM   #18
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Wanting any New Turtles to be just like the OT. Defending it being a 'kiddie franchise.' Begging for endlessly rehashed old comicbook storylines rather then want something original. Buying endless junk marked 'Turtles no matter how useless or cluttering it is (I'm not talking about the plastic dolls) even if most of the stuff is destined just to be gazed at, never used.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #19
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

- The portion of the fandom that loves TCest. I'd love to burn them.

- The elitist edgelord part of the fandom that hates all the cartoons because they aren't 1:1 accurate to the original comics.

- Fans that demand the Shredder be in every iteration of TMNT. He doesn't need to be.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!

Last edited by Dejablue; 05-24-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #20
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
- The portion of the fandom that loves TCest. I'd love to burn them.

- The elitist edgelord part of the fandom that hates all the cartoons because they aren't 1:1 accurate to the original comics.

- Fans that demand the Shredder be in every iteration of TMNT. He doesn't need to be.
Well, at least he isn't in Operation Blue Line and We Wish You a Turtle Christmas (though Bebop and Rocksteady are mentioned in the second one)...
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote