The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-03-2019, 02:53 PM   #81
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Zarius, I was thinking about that the moment I saw the panel.

Well, if anything City At War may end with Shredder one version or another uniting the underworld, but the inclusion of Agent Bishop/ rogue Metalhead, Lady Null and Baxter Stockman's election as mayor (pulling a Marvel here), and so much more like Dimension X elements, and a certain dangerous mutant duo brought a whole new spin on the title. Nick simply borrowed it, but IDW took the concept and allowed us to assume certain points that are believed tradition and well, they fooled us. In a good way though? The jury is still out there. It took me a good 14 issues to decide I actually liked this series.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #82
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
It was hard to appreciate the twist,but I am willing to keep an open mind. We don't know how this will turn out in the end. It is better that we overall don't have an attachment to Jenika instead of being a favorite before this. I still rank THE WAY Krang died as my biggest problem and I have never been a fan of the reincarnation angle. Then there is the Agent Bishop's unique twist too. That can be fixed through cloning.
Honestly, same with "the way" Krang died for me as well (my disappointment in Trial of Krang and Dimension X is still my biggest disappointment of the whole series).
Spoiler:
I would have preferred the verdict to come before the big battle with the Malignoids, and for Krang to go down fighting Maligna - and ironically save the planet he had once attempted to destroy. And then maybe LH stops Kleve and Montuoro from bringing him home for burial or something...
Just use the supposed "military genius" to your advantage instead of stuffing him away during the storyline with his name on it

I think a few of us had a feeling she was going to mutate at some point eventually, and this was a good time.

But like...since did a transfusion from Leo...wouldn't this make her like an "honorary" sister, since it was his mutated DNA that changed her?

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 07-03-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:23 PM   #83
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

Ok, I can understand why some people are frustrated or unhappy. After 25 years, Venus began to personify the worst that was in TMNT. But the concept of the girl turtle is not so bad. It all depends on the authors. The IDW creative team has proven that they can tell great stories and give us a new, interesting look at old characters.
I really can't wait for what we see next. And I very much hope that B&R, Agent Ravenwood and Renet also will soon return. The cover this issue of Ben Bates is very funny, but it also showed an interesting potential from the meeting of Neutrino, Time Lords and B&R. I really hope it ever happens.
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:30 PM   #84
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I think one of the biggest good things to expect is:
  • We already kind of know Jenny as a character
  • She won't have magic
  • Probably won't be doing any love interest stuff while she's trying to adjust to her changes
  • Might not even be referred to as "Venus" (unless it's like a code name or something to protect her while they're still trying to evade the EPF. Because you know...the last thing they need is to have accidentally made a human into another mutant...while they're already being chased for being mutants)
Old 07-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #85
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWaltz View Post
Just for that, here's a Technodrome exclusive:

Spoiler:
I worked with the amazing Sophie Campbell way back in 2017 to create Jenny's baseline turtle design. There have been a few minor tweaks since then, but she will still very much resemble Sophie's design, including her bandana, which will be revealed in... ISSUE #97!

Talk soon...

Tom W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
[*]Might not even be referred to as "Venus"
I wonder if, since Sophie was involved in the creation, she'll be referred to as Artemisia (https://www.deviantart.com/mooncalfe...isia-471621727) My money is down on a yellow bandana. Really I hope she just stays Jennika though, and I want to see more Secrets of the Ooze if you're lurking here Sophie!
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:46 PM   #86
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Honestly, same with "the way" Krang died for me as well (my disappointment in Trial of Krang and Dimension X is still my biggest disappointment of the whole series).
Spoiler:
I would have preferred the verdict to come before the big battle with the Malignoids, and for Krang to go down fighting Maligna - and ironically save the planet he had once attempted to destroy. And then maybe LH stops Kleve and Montuoro from bringing him home for burial or something...
Just use the supposed "military genius" to your advantage instead of stuffing him away during the storyline with his name on it

I think a few of us had a feeling she was going to mutate at some point eventually, and this was a good time.

But like...since did a transfusion from Leo...wouldn't this make her like an "honorary" sister, since it was his mutated DNA that changed her?
Yes, there was that theory,but I honestly shrugged it off. I don't know how I feel about it yet because the angle is not fully played out. Once the angle is then I will make my decision on whether it was a bad move or not. I may be leaning negative now,but I trust the creative team and they see the full picture, we only see a part of it at the moment.

As for THE WAY Krang, went out I really like your suggestion. I am not saying I am opposed to Krang being dead and Ch'rell taking his place, its just I feel like it could have gone the way you state, but also a reason be given for Ch'rell to seek revenge. I just feel like Trial of Krang was for nothing if its resolved like that and given into fan art. If you want to make Leatherhead neutral there can be a way to insert a three way fight in the script to make the point without the shock moment. Sorry, for the rant. We all have something in 95 ongoing issues plus several minis that rubbed us the wrong way.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #87
CyberCubed
Overlord

While I was reading this issue I thought the big "twist" as I got to the end of the battle and the Turtles escaped in the portal with Harold and Libby behind, I honestly thought either Metalhead or Bishop was going to gun them down and kill them in cold blood. Seeing a rather enjoyable character like Harold killed in cold blood would have been the twist I'd expect, but I'm glad IDW doesn't waste characters like that and kill them for no reason. So yeah...glad they're just "arrested" instead of shot to death. That would have been too gruesome!

Also rather glad the Karai/Splinter war was left out of this issue, it would have made things too cramped. And rushed. So we'll have to wait for more of Splinter/Foot Vs. Karai next time.

Seeing both Bishop and Karai after the Turtles at the same time is a bit too much, let alone with whatever Null is planning. I can see why the Patheon is playing the waiting game and just watching all the chaos unfold.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #88
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I mean, yeah, that's a good point. There's actually a lot I would change, but that ending is just one of them. (Among other things, I would have Ma'riell there to watch in horror as she realizes the Krang at trial is not the same Krang she knew before she went into stasis)
Old 07-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #89
Igglet

I'm kind of surprised by the fact that I somewhat called it, and even though I was mostly sarcastic, I'm totally taking all the credit. #1 Predictionist, no debate.

In all honesty, this is... just absolutely shocking to me, and I do have a lot of thoughts on it. Let me preface this by saying that I absolutely adore this run and I have a LOT of confidence in the crew to pull this off. I'm writing this at midnight just after reading this comic so my thoughts are scrambled and I don't know if this is going to sound overly critical, and in case it does, I just want it to be known that I'm absolutely on board with this twist. Tom (or anyone in the crew at that), if you're reading this, I would REALLY appreciate to hear some of your thoughts on at least the first part of my rant.

First of all, this does make me wonder what Jennika's dynamic with the other turtles will be. Is she officially going to be the fifth TMNT, or is she not at that point? And the thing is, one of the reasons why TMNT works IS the dynamic between the main four, Leo being the stoic leader, Raph being the hothead rebel, Mikey being the naive heart of the group and Donnie being the smart dude, to oversimplify all of it. Yet even when I simplify it so much, this dynamic works. Will Jennika find a way to fit into this and offer something new to this mix, or is she going to end up feeling like a watered down version of another turtle? I'm somewhat afraid it might be the latter. Again, I have a looot of trust in this team, but the current incarnation of Jennika just hasn't spoken to me enough to accept her as a new TMNT yet.

I feel like this might be my favorite issue of the ongoing run since the Trial of Krang as I feel like it did a GREAT job at packing so many things in and making it feel like everything's really starting to escalate, you know? Nobody's been discussing Null working with Stockman, the EPF and Metalhead capturing Harold and Libby and all that crazy action in between because of this crazy twist, but all that deserves props too. Man, imagine what this series would be like if only each issue had more pages. Ah well, too good to be true.

I'm so excited right now. The only slightly depressing thing is that it doesn't appear as if Splinter is dying in the next issue (though I suppose THAT would be more depressing since Splinter is my favorite character) and I'm getting banned. Remember me as a hero, folks.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #90
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWaltz View Post
Wow! Glad we could make the top of your list, scribblesartist! Biggest EVER is quite an accomplishment in any endeavor.

The close of #95 (and what follows in the issues to come) is something we (Kevin, Bobby, and I, as well as many of the wonderful artists we collaborate with) have been carefully working on since late 2016. Something we've set up diligently behind the scenes with various design/development efforts, as well as within the public-facing comic book pages through character growth and relationship development over numerous arcs. As a rule, we never pander in this series... never force plots/characters into the storyline, always patiently waiting until the time is right. We earned this, and it's something we're very proud of and are confident will become a fantastic new element to our ever-evolving IDW TMNT mythos.

I know we won't make everyone happy -- that's always the case no matter what we're doing. Someone's always disappointed (sometimes the "biggest disappointment EVER" even!). But there will be fans who WILL be happy and excited about this moment... as well as the many other storylines and characters we're presenting in our monthly comic book. We've got a lot going on and this is just one part of it.

I know we're happy and excited -- Kevin, Bobby, me, the artists -- and working hard on The Road to 100...

And beyond!

Talk soon...

Tom W.
I think the greatest strength of the book has been the courage to take risks. Maybe I’d be singing a different tune if they hadn’t paid off, but elements like the reincarnation origin and Splinter leading the Foot certainly seemed to.
I haven’t been 100% on-board with the book for a while, but this makes me turn an ear. I’m looking forward to having a chance to catch up and see how I feel about the series again.

I often come in here to critique the book, but it’s for the for the joy of discussion! I want to love the book, but there are things about it that haven’t necessarily worked for me, so I enjoy throwing my thoughts out there and seeing how they get diced up.
My intention is never to offend, and I do think I’ve shown the utmost respect for the series, for all there is to appreciate about it - the passion and hard work that goes in, the bold creative decisions, etc, despite my criticisms.

Just want to throw that out there.

Last edited by AquaParade; 07-03-2019 at 04:59 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:29 PM   #91
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfillet101 View Post
Spoiler:
I now accept she won't be Venus, she is Jennika, but would love to have fun with this and try on that original bandana. The fact that she already has ninja moves is awesome. Anxiously awaiting a Alopex, Nobody, and Jenny mini series (throw in Sally too)...
Man, I really hope not. The whole "Girl Power Teamup" thing feels like a lame trope used whenever writers can't (or don't want to) integrate a female character properly into the main cast. And sorry to Tom, but I've felt this way with the Alopex/Angel teamup from the start. It was born out of nothing, other than the fact that they were both girls, and has relegated the both of them to sideline characters that always feel distant from the main cast, even when they're drawn alongside them.

Spoiler:
If you're going to make Jennika a turtle, she needs to actually be involved with the turtles. The series doesn't need another underutilized side character.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:36 PM   #92
daggio
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfillet101 View Post
Amazing, Amazing, Amazing! 4 weeks until #96! Totally on board and hope this is something that just folds into the series, much like all the characters we have grown to love have.

Spoiler:
I now accept she won't be Venus, she is Jennika, but would love to have fun with this and try on that original bandana. The fact that she already has ninja moves is awesome. Anxiously awaiting a Alopex, Nobody, and Jenny mini series (throw in Sally too)...
And don't forget Pepperoni (should she hopefully get mutated as well)
daggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:41 PM   #93
daggio
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I can see why the Patheon is playing the waiting game and just watching all the chaos unfold.
I was thinking about that. When you go back to the root cause of most of this (at least the stuff between Splinter & the Turtles and Karai & her crew), the orphans, it's almost as if the Pantheon (specifically the Rat King) is winning cuz the chaos is unfolding from that. I dont know if the Rat King planned it this way (probably not), but hes getting the chaos he wants.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:47 PM   #94
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Libby taking down Metalhead was awesome. A variable he did NOT account for, apparently!

Bishop taking prisoners was distressing. I really hope we don't lose anyone else to that midget maniac anytime soon...

Stockman and his back room dealing is promising; can't wait to see where that goes...

As for the turtle in the room...
Spoiler:

I did not expect that in a million years. But I've wanted IDW to do a new take on Venus de Milo since forever, and I don't care about Jennika as an existing character, so... in IDW we trust?
Old 07-03-2019, 05:51 PM   #95
daggio
Foot Soldier

And to think, this could've happened to Casey back during City Fall if they had been unable to get him to the hospital
Old 07-03-2019, 06:04 PM   #96
CyberCubed
Overlord

I feel like Null needed a big arc in the main series or another mini, her character was neglected for way too long on the sidelines (I think she was introduced as far back as 2016, if I remember right?), and I feel like the Baxter stuff with her is kinda random.

As it stands the main adversaries of the series after Shredder/Krang went to Hell (literally), were Bishop, The Patheon (although really just Rat King and Kitsune), and now Karai and her goons. Ch'rell hasn't done anything yet and Null sat on the sidelines way too long. I would have liked it if Null got another 4-part mini before this.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:48 PM   #97
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudrunner View Post
Man, I really hope not. The whole "Girl Power Teamup" thing feels like a lame trope used whenever writers can't (or don't want to) integrate a female character properly into the main cast. And sorry to Tom, but I've felt this way with the Alopex/Angel teamup from the start. It was born out of nothing, other than the fact that they were both girls, and has relegated the both of them to sideline characters that always feel distant from the main cast, even when they're drawn alongside them.

Spoiler:
If you're going to make Jennika a turtle, she needs to actually be involved with the turtles. The series doesn't need another underutilized side character.
Nah all of the girl team books have usually been aces. Just get someone who can A) write and B) write females and you'll have a winner. Obvs Gail Simone would be ideal but she's usually pretty busy. I do think Jennika needs to be one of the core team, but if they do a one-off 4 issue thing with a girl team or whatever she can tag along.

I just can't wait to see Mikey's reaction to his new "sister".
Old 07-04-2019, 12:45 AM   #98
Allio
Foot Elite

Kind of hoping that Jennika has a huge mental breakdown.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:50 AM   #99
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Definitely this is a huge thing. I've always said, if this is a universe where the Turtles aren't unique and alone (and they're not, there's tons of other mutants in IDW)... then why not have a female Turtle? I'm intrigued to see what they do with the concept. They've clearly thought it through.

Personally -- and this is just me -- it might have been a little more interesting to see Jennika slowly mutate (like over the course of X number of issues), rather than all at once. Like, a very gradual transition (I'm not talking like "The Fly" with Cronenberg body horror, but maybe a slow letting go of humanity is a little lost opportunity). But the playbook is theirs.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:15 AM   #100
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I'm totally neutral towards this development. As in, I certainly don't mind the "new" character and am confident in IDW's skill in handling her, and I've always said throughout the years that I'd love to see them tackle her and maybe even change a certain someone's infamous dislike of her around. That would be the icing on the cake. But, having said that, I'm much, much more invested in the other elements at play in this arc.
Pretty much this. Interested to see where it goes, with no particularly strong feelings one way or the other. I've always liked Venus, at least on paper, so I'm open to this kinda thing.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote