Notices

Old 08-19-2005, 12:16 PM   #1
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Custom made TMNT fan-game

EDIT:
Download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ubdhcwsn82lqbwo

I don't know how many people would be interested, but I recently made my best attempt at creating a TMNT computer game using the Game Maker 5 program.

I used the old Konami sprites (customized a few), mixed in some level backgrounds, voice clips and music, and made a somewhat complete (though far from impressive) Turtles game. I think it's kinda fun, and I think some others might enjoy playing it a couple of times.

Quote:
Instructions:

There are a few of cut scenes where you just have to sit and let it play through (April getting kidnapped, the Technodrome encounter, and the ending screens).

Most of the game controls are context sensitive, changing depending on what the nature of the level is. For the 1st and 2nd stages when you control Raphael you can use the arrow keys to move left, right, up, or down. Just run over the enemies to kill them. And I admit, it looks pretty cheap for Raph to be floating around the whole place.

Yes, there are a lot of glitches, but I think most of them just take some getting used to. If a character gets stuck in a wall, keep pressing the directional keys and he should eventually get out. Most characters are designed to bounce against the walls anyway.

For the Leonardo level, try not to get hit by Stockman's ray. Get by him and run over Rocksteady to advance. You will get hit by a couple of bullets and bounced around a bit. In the last level, Splinter gives instructions for operating Leo, Don, and Mike. When an enemy attacks high, use Mike. Use Leo against lower enemies, and Don against the enemy who attacks the middle. You have to hold the directional button down when the enemy is charging toward you or you he will overpower you.

If you get stuck, Ctrl resets the game. Esc exits. There are at least two different endings: the Good Ending for beating the game, and the Bad Ending for choosing not to continue on the Game Over box.

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 08-08-2012 at 04:28 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 12:57 PM   #2
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man

Hey, interesting. You might be able to get away with it. There are a few sites that have tons of legal Super Mario variant games featured (among other game franchises) and a TMNT one could be fun.

I know I'd sure like to try it out.

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:05 PM   #3
Ra
It's my desire?

Heh, we had something like this in the fan works thread. Don't know what happened to it though I would love to try this one out though. Just a question - did you use gamemaker?

"So. The whole lot of you against little old me? How retarded."
Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:38 PM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Yes, the program that I used was Game Maker 5. It's recommended for simple games like PacMan variations, but I think I pushed it's capabilities pretty hard by using over 80 sprites. My computer runs really low on Virtual Memory when I try to run it so I can't imagine what it would be like if somebody else actually tried to download it and play it.

I don't even know how to post pictures on this forum, let alone a download link for the game. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:50 AM   #5
lilonardo
Hench Mutant

please can I have a download link?
lilonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:07 PM   #6
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Posting Images and Sprites

I think posting a download link may be impossible, since you have to have both the program and the game sprites I used to run it. However, I might be able to post some of the custom sprites I made (mostly variations off Konami's stuff). Could someone explain to me how to post images with my posts. I try clicking the "manage attachments" button but it only gives me an error message.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:06 PM   #7
R-iZZy
The Long Con

You could always use yousendit.com or rapidshare.de for uploading purposes.

R-iZZy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:59 AM   #8
Spitfire
Writer • Director

You could put it in Flash some how? Or use one of those big file sharing sites. I'd love to see what you came up with.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:46 AM   #9
Sewer Bull
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters
I think posting a download link may be impossible, since you have to have both the program and the game sprites I used to run it. However, I might be able to post some of the custom sprites I made (mostly variations off Konami's stuff). Could someone explain to me how to post images with my posts. I try clicking the "manage attachments" button but it only gives me an error message.
1) Visit www.imageshack.us or www.photobucket.com
2) Host your pics there
3) Return to forum and type [IMG]direct liink[/IMG}
4) Et voila!

But hey, Spitfire's right. Flash would be the best.

Soooo... THIS is how you spend your free time now?!
Sewer Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:48 PM   #10
NeoBix
Stone Warrior

I would love to play this game if you can put it on a site so I can download it please.

"Movies don't create psychos. Movies make psychos more creative." —Billy Loomis (Skeet Ulrich) from the movie "Scream"
NeoBix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:15 PM   #11
oldmanwinters
Overlord

At last... IT's Download Ready! (I hope)

Believe it or not, I think I've actually managed to upload this thing to a download link. Ladies and gents (what? Only TMNT fanboys/girls here?), I present to you the download link to "TMNT: Deliverance" brought to you by the Garland Earl Corporation.

EDIT: Dead Link
http://rapidshare.de/files/4341880/Turtles.exe.html
(The name of the file is Turtles.exe if you couldn't tell.)

I hope this works. I'll warn you that it takes a long time to actually get this game loaded, so just grab a highly caffinated beverage and don't try to run too many programs while loading it. And it finally starts playing the intro movie, you might notice some horrendous slow-down in the framerate, so just press Ctrl at any time to reset the game and it will immediately run much smoother. Let me know what you think of it, but be gentle with criticisms because I learned as I made it.

Cheers!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 12-05-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:54 PM   #12
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Ummm okay I played it sorta. First off it doesn't work at all. I mean I can't move really and when I can't move I hit space bar and it just skipped to the next level or scene or whatever. I was massively confused and there were alot of glitches. I had no clue what was going on. I'm impress at your ablilty to make a game but I can't play it. Is there something I did wrong? I closed all programs like you said and I have a pretty new and fast computer.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:02 PM   #13
oldmanwinters
Overlord

directions

I suppose the least I could have done was leave some instructions.

Most of the game controls are context sensitive, changing depending on what the nature of the level is. For the 1st and 2nd stages with Raph you can use the arrow keys to move left, right, up, or down. Just run over the enemies to kill them. I know that it looks pretty cheap for Raph to just be floating around the level, but that's the only way I could get him to move around.

Yes, there are a lot of glitches, but I think most of them just take some getting used to. If a character gets stuck in a wall, keep pressing the directional keys and he should eventually get out. Most characters are designed to bounce against the walls anyway.

For Leo level, try not to get hit by Stockman's ray. Get by him and run over Rocksteady to advance. In the last level, Splinter gives instructions for operating Leo, Don, and Mike. When an enemy attacks high, use Mike. Use Leo against lower enemies, and Don against the enemy who attacks the middle. You have to hold the directional button down when the enemy is charging toward you or you he will overpower you.

Spacebar skips to the next level and Ctrl resets the game (this is how I improved the game framerate on my computer).
Old 08-25-2005, 11:37 PM   #14
NeoBix
Stone Warrior

LOL thanks a bunch oldmanwinters... it was pretty fun, even though it was also pretty glichy too hehe.

Nice job with the sprites. Keep up the good work and keep improving your games.

"Movies don't create psychos. Movies make psychos more creative." —Billy Loomis (Skeet Ulrich) from the movie "Scream"
NeoBix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:51 AM   #15
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Thanks, NeoBix. Next time I make a game, I'll try to make improvements. And Game Maker 6 is out, with some minor improvements. Hopefully, I'll be able to do more with less sprites and save virtual memory.

And just for the record, there are multiple endings to this game. Even if you figure out a way to beat it the first time playing, you might want to reset it (Ctrl) and play through again to see what happens when you make a mistake. Try not to use the level skip (space) in the later levels or the game might give you an error message.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:10 AM   #16
Ryona

Hey, this is a pretty nice game.
It's a little glitchy, but like you said, it just takes getting used to.
Nice choice of sprites and I like the idea of combat with all the TMNT in the Shredder level. Nice choice of music and backgrounds too. I hope to see advancements in your future games.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:26 PM   #17
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Thanks, Ryona. I haven't decided what would be a good plot for future games, yet. Anyone got some ideas for improvements or new adventures?

Come to think of it, would anyone like me to post any of the sprites I used from the game?
Old 08-27-2005, 01:10 PM   #18
Spitfire
Writer • Director

I'd help but I'm already doing the story for RA's game.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:00 PM   #19
Ryona

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters
Come to think of it, would anyone like me to post any of the sprites I used from the game?
Sure.

Oh, one question...
I'm not sure what I'm suppose to do in that beach level. Is it just there for fun at the end of the game, or is it a level that I have to do something in?
Old 08-27-2005, 02:18 PM   #20
oldmanwinters
Overlord

The "beach level" is actually the "bad ending" for the game. You will go to that screen if you select No under the "Game Over: Try Again?" message boxes. I guess you found it by skipping ahead with spacebar. No, you can't do anything. That level is purely to make you feel guility about not winning (even if you do get to it after beating the game). Sometimes I wish major game compaines would do more stuff like that so as to see what would happen if the bad guys won.

Tags
fan game