The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Should they have recast Shredder and Karai?
Yes the new actors were better. 6 18.75%
No they should have kept the original actors. 10 31.25%
Yes but only Shredder. 13 40.63%
Yes but only Karai. 0 0%
No preference. 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #21
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I hope sometime after the promoting is over that the actors can eventually talk honestly about it from their own take on how it and their characters turned out, like they (or at least the Turtle guys) did last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
How is it that the only kids-aimed TMNT that has Karai kicking April into the dirt is the Nick cartoon?
Good point... Teen kids in Nick are highly capable characters, while adults in live action, that should have had many more years of training, and in her case should be second in command, can't handle it. Come on... PD April hasn't even been training like her Nick counterpart.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #22
Powder
So tired of this place

I wasn't too keen on the announcement, but I figured if they were gonna have better roles, maybe they needed better actors. Now I feel it was wholly pointless.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #23
THGhost
Puppet Master

As much as I enjoyed the movie, I agree that recasting Karai and making her even more of a useless/pointless character was a dreadful decision on the filmmakers' part.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:41 PM   #24
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Well April did land the finishing blow on Shredder last time..... are we really that surprised she took down Karai? In the next movie she'll take on Bebop and Rocksteady by herself.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:48 PM   #25
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
In the next movie she'll take on Bebop and Rocksteady by herself.
they are saving that one for the adult version!!
Old 06-10-2016, 05:49 PM   #26
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
recasting was kind of pointless since neither actor was really utilized.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:34 AM   #27
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
they are saving that one for the adult version!!
Giggety...
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:33 AM   #28
MathUser
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Brian Tee looks like a good pick for a Shredder - if they'd actually put him to real use.

I don't understand the point of going through recasting though and then hardly doing anything with the character.

Karai in particular bugged me. No offense intended to Brittany Ishibashi or anything, but... a bit too model-like imo, and they gave her nothing to do. Miss Ninja beauty pageant winner that was largely there as just part of the scenery. During the film she just felt more like some dressed up, painted up ninja doll/mannequin who magically came to life once for one short fight scene, that she couldn't even win.

The lack of use of Karai resulted in ZERO reason for her to even have lived through the prior film. She could have just as well have not survived and this film would not have been impacted in the least. As the one ninja woman who should be involved in the action, and one of only three female characters (sans extras) - and if Karai got any less involvement she'd be no more than an extra - that's just sad.

Minae Noji wasn't used all that much in the first, yet her Karai had a lot more involvement than the new Karai.

Wait, you're actually REQUESTING that they kill off characters? That worked real good for TMNT3. They could have just wrote Karai out of the script like Eric Sachs. They didn't need to kill her.
MathUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #29
Powder
So tired of this place

Reading comprehension, fam.

"She could have just as well have not survived and this film would not have been impacted in the least"

Allow me to translate that for you-

"If Karai had been killed, it would have changed nothing for any of the characters involved nor invoke an emotional response from the audience."

Better yet

"Karai die, nobody notice."

How is that a request?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #30
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Why recast if they were essentially going to do nothing?

Original actors were fine and the change makes even less sense with how they were treated in the sequel.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:05 PM   #31
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Thank you, Powder.

No, I'm not requesting to kill anyone off. But realistically she prob should not have been able to survive 2014's snow chase scene given the circumstances, and she was so underused this time that they could have just left that to be implied with no loss to this film. Which is unfortunate and my point.

IF a third did happen and she's there... geez, at least make use of her. Put a woman on the writing team if need be or consult a very TMNT and Karai-knowledgeable woman if you (writers) don't write women well.

Clearly after the snow chase she required a lot of plastic surgery and facial reconstruction...
Old 06-11-2016, 07:43 PM   #32
TMNTInsighter
Banned

At first I thought them recasting Minae Noji was a huge mistake and an insult to her, but now I think it's a blessing in disguise. Not only did she have nothing to do in the first movie but they've given her replacement the same treatment. It basically turned out to be one of those damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't kind of things for her. She definitely deserves better because she has both acting and VA talent--especially for Tang Shen, you gotta love the work she did for that role!
I won't comment for Brain Tee since I have no plans to suffer through OOTS until it hits my local library but it doesn't sound like his Shredder fared any better than his replacement.
TMNTInsighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:48 AM   #33
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Ugh, why did Brian Tee think doing a over the top "badguy voice" was a good idea? It sounds so ridiculous.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:50 AM   #34
ToTheNines
[sic]

Yeah, he hammed it up more than anyone except maybe Brad Garrett.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:16 AM   #35
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

So.. giving the novelization a read as I am, I'm a tad more annoyed at the lack of use of Karai in this film.

Taking my time with it, so I don't know the full extent of her in the book - BUT. Insofar as I have read...

You know that scene where April runs off with the 'ooze' and she's chased after by the Foot? In the book... Karai is a part of it. The scene is just as brief as it is in the film, but she, along with Foot soldiers, goes after April herself. She is the one that knocks the canister from April's hands before it ends up next to the police car.

That April/Karai fight would have been nice to see in the movie.

Granted Karai in the book has had only three or four lines so far, but I guess that's more than the film...

Though two of the lines consist of her shrugging and saying "Makes sense to me," after Baxter explains dormant animal genes; and her telling April, after chasing her, "You shouldn't have run. I don't like having to run." What happened to smart, ninja (and therefor capable and athletic) Karai? Really, the guys behind this film couldn't write women if their lives depended on it.

Spoiler:
Although a short time later, instead of Raph throwing his sai that gets lodged in a street sign pole in front of Casey's face, in the book he's unseen in the shadows and just straight up sucker punches Casey instead. So the book does do some things better.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:17 PM   #36
killerkobra
Random Punk

Did not understand Karai being recast. She did nothing in the 2014 movie and did nothing in this one... So why recast?

If I cared for Shredder in the Dunes movies I would care about the actor that played him but I hated the character. Just sad.

Maybe I am too obsessed with TMNT 2012 and that makes me hate anything that strays from that...
killerkobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
karai, shredder