The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 04-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #941
Peanut
Second Gear

Don't you have a pointless thread to create and spam?
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #942
Mew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Don't you have a pointless thread to create and spam?
No. Stop being a sh*t head.
You seem to be one.
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #943
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

He was definitely trying to be a show off. Also, you escalated it, Mew, not anyone else.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #944
Mew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
He was definitely trying to be a show off. Also, you escalated it, Mew, not anyone else.
None of those things are true.
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #945
Peanut
Second Gear

We don't want dick measuring collector comments in here. It's quite simple. I've been in countless game collecting communities and seen those EXACT kind of posts from people attempting to "show off" and it's obnoxious. I don't see the purpose in writing that out unless he's trying to impress someone or prove his "cred" or some such sh*t, which he has done before. You're getting involved in something that doesn't involve you in the slightest. Get lost.

I notice there's a trend of the social rejects taking offense when they get called out on their sh*t by people who actually seem like they have some self awareness (like Powder) and it's pretty funny. As for me, I rarely leave this section, but when I do I admit I end up being a dick to someone in the GD. Probably you, because you're an awful poster. Sorry!
Old 04-05-2015, 12:12 PM   #946
Mayhem
Foot Elite

It was meant to imply that I had both games when they came out (as opposed to buying them later secondhand) and that I hoped my opinion would warrant Dawn to give them both a try play wise.

Yes, I can see exactly where you're coming from Peanut, wasn't my intention. I see occasional willy waving in the collector community too. Anyone who knows me though, knows I am barely one for publicising what I own, which is reasonably substantial (soon to be much less after I sell a portion off) but still way less than many other people I know.

That photo I posted earlier in the thread of part of my setup? Genuinely the first time I've taken such a shot, and only because it was for an article I'm helping someone with.

Still, I don't take offence, so don't worry about it. Nothing much has changed on the internet in that area in 20+ years, just the number of people present heh...
Old 04-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #947
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnatello Turtle Chick View Post
I got some neat scores this weekend. I FINALLY found a gold cartridge Legend of Zelda for a fair price in good condition. I've come across I don't know how many Gold carts in decent enough condition, but the minute I decided I must have it in my collection suddenly all I find are physically broken copies or ones that are so worn that they are more black than gold... It shouldn't have been such a difficult hunt... Plus my buddy just picked up Zelda Four Swords and was nice enough to sell me the manual so now my copy is complete, yay! Plus found some weirder, harder to find titles, had to get them- Rockin' Kats and Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom (seriously, who came up with this?!) From what I've heard Rockin' Kats is pretty easy and kind of vanilla once you get past the cat with a punching glove gun, but that alone, sold it for me. Plus I came across the classic- Ghosts 'N Goblins, didn't have that one in my collection yet so I had to pick it up.
http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/...s/IMG_5821.jpg

My flea market buddy had a copy of Street Fighter Special Champion Edition for Genesis (which my hubby & I both swear we had and somehow can't find anywhere?!) and some other fun nostalgic pick ups. Surf Ninjas in particular had me stumbling all over nostalgia lane, lol. I freaking loved that movie (the 3rd one not so much...).
http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/...s/IMG_5822.jpg

Plus my husband found a couple JRPGs too.
http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/...s/IMG_5823.jpg
nice pick ups DTC. i totally want Street Fighter Special Champion Edition for Genesis now

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #948
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
It was meant to imply that I had both games when they came out (as opposed to buying them later secondhand) and that I hoped my opinion would warrant Dawn to give them both a try play wise.

Yes, I can see exactly where you're coming from Peanut, wasn't my intention. I see occasional willy waving in the collector community too. Anyone who knows me though, knows I am barely one for publicising what I own, which is reasonably substantial (soon to be much less after I sell a portion off) but still way less than many other people I know.

That photo I posted earlier in the thread of part of my setup? Genuinely the first time I've taken such a shot, and only because it was for an article I'm helping someone with.

Still, I don't take offence, so don't worry about it. Nothing much has changed on the internet in that area in 20+ years, just the number of people present heh...
Yeah, it's cool. I apologize in that case. I've just been in so many places where that kind of thing is 90-100% of the conversation and I love that we have more tact than that here. I'm sorry for assuming.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:28 PM   #949
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MewMeow View Post
No. Stop being a sh*t head.
You seem to be one.
Damn! Shots fired!
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:04 PM   #950
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

Well, now that we are back to it... So I posted a few months ago about getting Twilight Princess on GameCube for around $30 and stopped into the same game store today and they had another copy that was $60!! That title in particular has just gone nuts in price climbing.... my goodness! Glad I picked it up when I did.

I did pick up Mega Man Battle Network 5 Team Protoman (GBA) for next to nothing, thought I'd give it a try. Haven't played any of the Battle Network games yet.

**Edit- thanks everyone for the grats on the pick ups. I always try to be a complete collector for titles that are near and dear to my heart. Love me some manuals & boxes, lol. That reminds me that I also got a Super Mario World manual yesterday at the game store, it was in almost mint condition too. Stuff like that always makes me so happy.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:47 AM   #951
Mayhem
Foot Elite

If you ever find a SMW box for like $5, you're quids, I mean dollars in, as the standalone version of the game is quite hard to find in general, especially the non Player's Choice version. After all, it was the default initial pack-in for the SNES. Post that point, it was sold solus, but I've not seen many boxed copies in my travels online.

(that's the US version, the initial Japanese SFC hardware didn't have a pack in, so all copies of SMW there have boxes)

A friend of mine posted yesterday that while his son loves the newer Mario games, he'd never played any of the early titles, and decided to introduce him to SMW. Apparently it blew the kid's mind heh. Personally, I'm waiting to see his reaction when he discovers you can get to a new area in the forest by flying UNDER the finish line heh...
Old 04-09-2015, 10:10 PM   #952
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

I've been binge playing Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (on the N64) and despite the incredibly aged polygonal graphics of the day, that game still just holds up so DAMN well! I'm just having a blast with it! Try as I might, I don't think I can do that with any other title on that system. Some can come close, but those are pretty few and far between. Poor N64, you are just aging terribly, lol (Meanwhile, Playstation 1 is a skeleton sitting forgotten in a wheelchair... ). Not to say that there aren't some great games for the PS1, just that not many people hold onto that system. I've got a fat & a slim PS1 but they hardly ever leave the console tub, Sony did well to make the PS2 & PS3 backwards compatible with the PS1 titles.

Sorry guys, I just had to get that nostalgia out of my system...
Old 04-09-2015, 10:12 PM   #953
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

i loves me some N64

Visit My Wish List:

My Collection:
Old 04-09-2015, 10:17 PM   #954
Peanut
Second Gear

I boot up (nearly) everything pretty close to once a month for one reason or another. I haven't turned the N64 on since...maybe last summer, when I got that huge box full of N64 stuff. It is absolutely the worst Nintendo console ever. Easily in my bottom tier overall.

Such an important console with incredibly important games, but god damn if it isn't just the absolute worst f*cking thing to go back to.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:22 PM   #955
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

lol, see cause i don't have any other vintage Nintendo systems to go back to i don't mind it as much

Visit My Wish List:

My Collection:
Old 04-09-2015, 10:33 PM   #956
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

It has aged just terribly, but I still love it. Those graphics are painful to look at (N64/PS1) but there were some killer games from that era. I don't know if it's just me, but it really seems like the Saturn games are a LOT easier to go back to than the N64/PS1 stuff. Not all of them, but there is a much greater number of the Saturn games I enjoy compared to the N64/PS1.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:35 PM   #957
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Hey Dawn, mind giving me some Saturn recs? I don't have one yet but I want to pick one up eventually!
Old 04-09-2015, 10:54 PM   #958
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Hey Dawn, mind giving me some Saturn recs? I don't have one yet but I want to pick one up eventually!
I kinda know what you like from what you've mentioned, and honestly Peanut might be a better resource than I am, but here goes!

Marvel Super Heroes- great fighter (expensive, but if you watch, you can sometimes pick it up cheap)
Mortal Kombat II- probably the best version of this game next to going to the arcade

Bug!, Bug Too!, Gex, Clockwork Knight 1 & 2, Scud the Disposable Assassin and a few others are interesting side/scrollers, platformers, etc that are just fun to play.

Guardian Heroes is a fun kind of brawler, but it generally only affordable if you import it.

Virtual-On is good if you like the mech-fighters from that time period

Nights into Dreams is interesting, and was created to really showcase the system, but I don't know that it's really worth what it often goes for...

Metal Slug, Die Hard Trilogy

Legend of Oasis, Panzer Dragoon I & II, Dragon Force are some great RPGs for the Saturn

Do yourself a big favor (credit goes to Peanut) and get an Action Replay. Awesome deal, totally worth the money.

**Edit- I forgot to add, In the Hunt is another game that my hubby & I are totally into, but might not have ever bought if we just saw it out and about. It's kind of addictive, lol. It's a scrolling shooter where you operate a submarine.

**Edit- It's also worth mentioning that quite a few of these titles are going to be pretty pricey. Especially the RPGs and a few others too. Quite a few of the Saturn titles are in the ridiculous price range (think Earthbound for the SNES price range & higher).

***Edit- I need to stop editing, but that's another reason the Action Replay is awesome is because then you can play a lot of the imports and many times those are much cheaper than the North American releases.

Last edited by Dawnatello Turtle Chick; 04-09-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Dawnatello Turtle Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:07 PM   #959
Leo656
The Franchise

Gotta say, I have fewer games for the N64 than any other system I own but they all still treat me fine. Most of the ones I do own are still some of my favorites. I appreciate graphics but older games with rougher visuals have never in any way discouraged my enjoyment of the games as long as everything else was good.

It's funny because I just recently picked up some backup memory cards and started playing a few N64 games for the first time in a while. I wish there were more gems for it, definitely, but I can't say a single bad word about it. For a long time, all I had for it way back when was Mario, Zelda, and No Mercy, and that was just fine by me. It's a shame it didn't have a much more substantial library, but it's not like it's the only console I own, so I don't even think about it much. If I was a kid in 1999 and it was all I had at the time, though, I can see how that would've been frustrating. There's still a few games I need for it, but only like, six, and then I'll have everything I want. That's actually kind of liberating; unlike 360, where I have a couple hundred games already and still have a list of just as many to buy yet. Oof.
---------------------------------------------------------

My wife had gotten a Saturn before we met, but apparently a few years ago her Mom went through her closet when she wasn't home, swiped her Saturn, all her games, and all her TMNT toys, and sold them on the internet, and only told her about it years later. I bet she had a lot of those games; I can't remember what she had, but at one point I did take a quick look at her collection of Saturn stuff and it was substantial.

So, we've mutually decided that in a few more years her Mom's going into one of those crooked nursing homes where the orderlies hit you and forget to feed you and stuff. Seems fair.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:55 AM   #960
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Maybe because I grew up in the Atari 2600 days, but the N64/PS1 graphics today don't phase me too much. Don't get me wrong though, I know exactly where you are coming from the comments however.

Considering the relatively small N64 catalogue, there are some unbelievable classics sitting in there, and the ratio of good:bad is probably alongside the Dreamcast.

Tags
classics, nostalgia, peanut, video games