The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 05-22-2018, 05:36 PM   #301
CyberCubed
Overlord

From what I remember the Mirage color classic single issues didn't sell that well, so I'm not sure why they did this again.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:35 PM   #302
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's certainly very unexpected. The obvious worry, of course, is that history might repeat itself and the series gets cancelled again before it even makes it to #24.

I don't see that happening, but it could happen.
Man, that was the first thing I thought of when this was announced. "This book will have to sell enough for two years in order to justify the final issues!"

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:41 AM   #303
Kingoji
Hench Mutant

I was planning on just waiting for the trades... Never read this series, but it was notorious enough for me to only really be interested as a curio.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #304
neatoman
Emperor

Alright, I read the first issue of this. It's fine, I get the feeling that it's trying to be a bit shocking for the sake of being shocking, I'll see where it's going. The coloring is a bit bland but whatever, first offical opportunity for me to read this.

About Pimiko though... I've seen what she looked like in black and white, it was a pretty dumb design. Now that I've seen her in color, it looks even dumber. It didn't originally bother me that she wore very little, so did Psylocke and plenty other comic book characters at the time, the dumb part were mainly the studs. However, now I see there are holes in her outfit. It literally just looks she's wearing nothing but strips of red tape.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #305
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah the female outfits are pretty bad but remember this is the 90's, many female comic book characters at the time had terrible outfits. It's the 90's.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #306
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yeah the female outfits are pretty bad but remember this is the 90's, many female comic book characters at the time had terrible outfits. It's the 90's.
And hell, the actual clothes people were wearing in the streets were pretty terrible in the 90s... the comic book outfits of the era can be excused.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #307
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Oversexualization, brutal violence, hard noir, and metal. Oh, and spikes and belt pouches.

The 90's were freaking awesome.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #308
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Man, that was the first thing I thought of when this was announced. "This book will have to sell enough for two years in order to justify the final issues!"
Kinda ironic this post came just a day before TMNT Universe was canceled.

Putting out single issues of the Image comic colored in 2018, I don't know if it could sustain sales for 2 years. They really should just went with 5-issue trades of Image to begin with.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #309
Nortock Diab
Hench Mutant

Do not forget the costs per issue for this book are probably way below any other book : story is written and art is done.
Thus, profit can be achieved with a lower print run I guess.
Nortock Diab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #310
CJStyles
Hench Mutant

I wish they would have gone and just done a trade, but I’ll still get all the issues because I didn’t get to read the book on its initial run and finding all the original copies is very difficult. Managed to acquire 2,3,4, and 8.

I am glad it’s colored though because I found it difficult to make sense of some of the art work in black And white.

Take this how you will, but the comic book shop in my city only had one copy of the first issue available to buy.
CJStyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #311
AquaParade
Banned

Real nice job on the coloring. I'm not disappointed. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to stick it out until we get to the conclusion, but I did enjoy this one.

While the dialogue and bits of the script have aged in a really poor way, the panel layouts are dynamic and surprisingly effective at making the story enjoyable to follow. That along with the bright colors and the 90's nostalgia make it easy to recommend to anyone who's curious or on the fence.

EDIT: Btw - Tom, if you're around here, I'd love to hear how you got involved with being Editor on this series. What drew you to it?
I'm thankful were still getting things like this with Nickelodeon and IDW behind the wheel.

Last edited by AquaParade; 05-23-2018 at 05:45 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:48 AM   #312
BartAllen
Banned

I bought this new issue this past week -- it was good. I will say the color really made those panels pop in a way the black and white panels didn't. I'm lucky enough that I was able to compare my old black-and-white issues to this modern color release, so I was able to do a panel by panel comparison.

Anyway, even though I own all of these issues, I plan to stick with this series. The Image run has a special place in my heart as it was the first run of the Turtles that I was able to buy each issue off the rack as they were being released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
While the dialogue and bits of the script have aged in a really poor way, the panel layouts are dynamic and surprisingly effective at making the story enjoyable to follow. That along with the bright colors and the 90's nostalgia make it easy to recommend to anyone who's curious or on the fence..
Yea, I have to agree. The dialogue is getting a bit long in the tooth. Still, it's nice to get the 'original' four back.
BartAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #313
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartAllen View Post

Yea, I have to agree. The dialogue is getting a bit long in the tooth. Still, it's nice to get the 'original' four back.
Raphael casually quoting old James Cagney movies in reference to Donatello getting shot nearly to death and Leonardo making a similar joke after Raphael gets his face blown off... really makes the characters come across as artificial video game avatars.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BjFfKmPnFzr/?hl=en

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 05-24-2018 at 03:49 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:37 PM   #314
pferreira
Foot Elite

Unfortunately will have to wait for the trades.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #315
Vegeta
Hench Mutant

After reading IDW's guest starring turtles and at times stiff dialogue for so long (i still love the series) some goofy 90s cheese from this first image issue was great. More risks are taken in 1 issue than I remembered. Two years is a long long time to wait for the rest.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:57 PM   #316
CyberCubed
Overlord

Finally read this myself, the coloring oddly makes reading this series more enjoyable, which I'm surprised to say. It really feels like the old Mirage Turtles in color, which in black and white it didn't. I love how it starts off right away too, with the Turtles lair immediately invaded by random cyborgs and Splinter asks Leo if he recognizes them and he says he's never seen them before.

The dialogue has a lot of fun/cheesy lines, like Raph calling Leo, "fearless leader," Mikey saying "You shot my brudder" the impression from the first movie, and Leo saying, "My katana slices and dices...and still makes cole slaw!" when chopping up the cyborg. It's easy to forget these are lines that feel like they come out of the cartoons.

It's a well done opening issue. The scars/burns on Raph's face were properly colored too making the pain look more intense in color.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:35 AM   #317
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
It's a well done opening issue. The scars/burns on Raph's face were properly colored too making the pain look more intense in color.
Yeah, I have to admit... the first time I saw that panel in color (the Raph face blast reveal) I was a little shocked. Not in a bad way. But just... damn, I guess it really was that bad, but it didn't look that bad in B&W! Hah.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:17 AM   #318
Ninjinister
無問題

Agreed. It's pretty brutal.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:40 AM   #319
Powder
So tired of this place

I can't front, this floored me. It looks amazing. So long as they don't make any huge blunders with respect to how characters are supposed to be colored, this should be a fantastic ride. Does great justice to the original art.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:30 AM   #320
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Pretty sure we have a couple of times...
We got them when they were wearing red bandanas in the inside story, but I don't remember any since then.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cferreira, cyborg donatello, image, image tmnt, shredder raphael, urban legends