The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-14-2016, 08:16 AM   #61
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie Campbell View Post
Can I write and/or draw the Christmas/holiday issue?
Yes. You know you have an open invitation, Sophie!
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:20 AM   #62
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Well my day has just been made!
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #63
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harukuro View Post
Let me just start by saying that I love what you and Tom Waltz have done with Mikey in this comic. Most incarnations of TMNT place Mikey solely in the role of "comic relief" as opposed to giving him actual depth and character development. So thank you very much for that, especially since he's my favourite turtle.

As for my question: I have been curious about something for a while now. Back when Slash was going to inject himself with the psychotropic compound he cites Mikey as a reason for it because he wants to be a "hero" like Mikey. This emphasis on being a "hero", as well as his admiration for Mikey, is something that has consistently been present in Slash's character. But while I can see why Slash admires Mikey so much, I am not certain why he views the turtle as a "hero" specifically.

So my question basically is: why does Slash see Mikey as a hero, and when did this specific focus on being a "hero" begin?
This question is very familiar to me... did you send it in to Ninja Notes? If so, I think I answer it in an upcoming issue!

But to keep you from waiting: While Hob took Slash in, he's not the nicest of guys. So Mikey was the first person to show Slash any sort of kindness in his entire life, when he offered Slash a candy bar during City Fall. This made a big impression on Slash's then-mental-state, that carried over to his full intelligence. Basically, I think Slash was exposed to a lot terrible things early on in his life, so when he sees the Turtles (other creatures like himself) do good and strive to be good, it makes a big impression and he considers them heroes.

Good question, thanks!
Old 01-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #64
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I think I have a resolution to the above, what if we get a backup for the next December issue focused around the Holiday season? We only have the Michelangelo one-shot from all those years ago for a TMNT Christmas story and we could use another one. If only a short one. Campbell can do the art and guest writer and friendly neighborhood editor Bobby Curnow writes it?

On the subject of the ooze serum to enhance Slash's intellect why not do so for Pete? If there was only that one sample that is cool, but it feels like a plot hole as to why not make Pete take it as well in-story?
Don't forget TMNT #5 is set at Christmas! But if someone pitches a Christmas story, i'd be happy to consider it. It's not something that's really on my personal radar at the moment. But will keep it in mind!

I think in-story the explanation would be that that sample of serum is used up, or that Hob already messed up Pete's mutation too much in the initial attempt of it (unlike Slash, who was a monitored lab experiment) for the serum to be effective. I don't think we thought it was important enough to mention all of that during the story.

The real reason is that we all like Pete as he is. He provides a nice contrast to a lot of other characters.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:31 AM   #65
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefanforever View Post
Any chance the TMNT will cross over with The Incredible Hulk?
No plans at this time. I believe IDW has approached Marvel with crossover ideas (I know we pitched Godzilla vs. the Avengers, a few years back, as I edit the Godzilla line) but they have respectfully declined.

Hulk Vs. TMNT would be fun to see though!
Old 01-14-2016, 08:38 AM   #66
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Bobby it was really an honor meeting you at last year's NYCC.

this here is not a real question (and you probably don't remember) my brother and i were two of the last people to show up to get passes to meet Kevin.
i really hope i wasn't geeking out TOO badly?

OK! so my question is about the Free Comic Day 'Prelude to Vengeance' issue.

it was released right after issue #55, but the Trade Paperback places it after issue #56.

i was wondering what was the reading-order placement for the Free issue?

thank you
Old 01-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #67
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
Bobby it was really an honor meeting you at last year's NYCC.

this here is not a real question (and you probably don't remember) my brother and i were two of the last people to show up to get passes to meet Kevin.
i really hope i wasn't geeking out TOO badly?

OK! so my question is about the Free Comic Day 'Prelude to Vengeance' issue.

it was released right after issue #55, but the Trade Paperback places it after issue #56.

i was wondering what was the reading-order placement for the Free issue?

thank you
Ha, i've seen a lot of people geek out about meeting Kevin. No worries, I was one of them too the first time it happened (probably first, like, ten times)

FCBD, due it's release date not being something I had any direct control over, is a little bit of a weird thing-- especially as we needed to have it finished well in advance of TMNT #45 due to Diamond's special printing schedule for FCBD.

Basically, part of FCBD happens after TMNT #46 (Shredder surveying Stockman) and part of it happens before (Hun vs. TMNT). I'm just glancing through the issues right now, so I may have part of that wrong, but it's something along those lines. There's no way it slots in perfectly, so I think either placement for your personal reading order will work. Nothing crucial happens in FCBD from a story perspective, so you could also just skip it.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #68
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
Ha, i've seen a lot of people geek out about meeting Kevin. No worries, I was one of them too the first time it happened (probably first, like, ten times)

FCBD, due it's release date not being something I had any direct control over, is a little bit of a weird thing-- especially as we needed to have it finished well in advance of TMNT #45 due to Diamond's special printing schedule for FCBD.

Basically, part of FCBD happens after TMNT #46 (Shredder surveying Stockman) and part of it happens before (Hun vs. TMNT). I'm just glancing through the issues right now, so I may have part of that wrong, but it's something along those lines. There's no way it slots in perfectly, so I think either placement for your personal reading order will work. Nothing crucial happens in FCBD from a story perspective, so you could also just skip it.
hahaha! well i probably geeked out just as much after i had realized that you were YOU!!!!!

Bobby, thank you so much for explaining that!!!
i've been re-reading all my IDW TMNT single issues now (micro's, mini's, everything)
once i reach that part i'll probably place the FCBD issue after issue #46 now?
thanks again man! and keep up the good work!!!
LOVE what you guys are doing!!!
Old 01-14-2016, 10:10 AM   #69
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Don't forget TMNT #5 is set at Christmas! But if someone pitches a Christmas story, i'd be happy to consider it. It's not something that's really on my personal radar at the moment. But will keep it in mind!

I think in-story the explanation would be that that sample of serum is used up, or that Hob already messed up Pete's mutation too much in the initial attempt of it (unlike Slash, who was a monitored lab experiment) for the serum to be effective. I don't think we thought it was important enough to mention all of that during the story.

The real reason is that we all like Pete as he is. He provides a nice contrast to a lot of other characters.
I think too much into stories whether it be a IDW comic or a Oscar nominated film. Its a fault of mine. I assumed the real world reason but wondered how it was explained in-story and it makes sense the way you explained it. Thanks.

I do remember #5 being set at Christmas time. There was the small decorated Christmas tree in the last page, but only seemed like a reference to real time for us not really getting to the plot itself.

Looks like we might get that Christmas plot yet thanks to the writer/artistic combo punch that is Campbell.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #70
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
No plans at this time. I believe IDW has approached Marvel with crossover ideas (I know we pitched Godzilla vs. the Avengers, a few years back, as I edit the Godzilla line) but they have respectfully declined.

Hulk Vs. TMNT would be fun to see though!
I see Spider-Man, Daredevil, and the X-Men being able to mesh with the TMNT. Of those I would love to see Spider-Man. Having both of my other favorites team up with the Turtles....

I hated how poorly executed an episode of Power Rangers was that cofeatured the Next Mutation version of the Ninja Turtles. I still hold resentment towards Saban to this day. If working with fellow third party comic company Boom! with the original Mighty Morphin group being brought back to the comics it would be cool to see what fans of both franchises had hoped to see back then instead of what we got.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:31 AM   #71
Jasper-X
Hench Mutant

Hey Bobby! Thanks for taking questions. So I read earlier that Deviations is just a one shot. I love the idea behind it, so I was wondering, with all the different crossovers the main IDW turtles have had, and how successful they are, any chance we could see the turtles from Deviations crossover into the main TMNT ongoing series? Because that would be epic.

Next Mutation Production Statue
Bounzing Buddy Raphael in package
Purple Super Shredder MOC
Secret Agent Don MOC
IDW Limited Sketch Cards
Jasper-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:52 AM   #72
Harukuro
Foot Soldier

Quote:
This question is very familiar to me... did you send it in to Ninja Notes? If so, I think I answer it in an upcoming issue!

But to keep you from waiting: While Hob took Slash in, he's not the nicest of guys. So Mikey was the first person to show Slash any sort of kindness in his entire life, when he offered Slash a candy bar during City Fall. This made a big impression on Slash's then-mental-state, that carried over to his full intelligence. Basically, I think Slash was exposed to a lot terrible things early on in his life, so when he sees the Turtles (other creatures like himself) do good and strive to be good, it makes a big impression and he considers them heroes.

Good question, thanks!
Yes I did ask this via Ninja Notes. I just really love Mikey and Slash's relationship, it is just so genuinely good and sweet (no pun intended). I love their interactions together (hence why I've been enjoying the current story arc so much).

To be honest this is what I assumed had happened, but getting some confirmation is always awesome.

Thank you for answering my question (twice ), and I look forward to seeing what happens next with these characters!

Also, Sophie Campbell doing a TMNT Holiday special? Yes, yes, and yes!!!
"But before I go, I want you to know, Mikey, you have always been - and will always be - my hero. Farewell, my friend." - Slash (TMNT IDW #54)

Hoping that IDW Slash will finally be happy
Harukuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:54 AM   #73
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper-X View Post
Hey Bobby! Thanks for taking questions. So I read earlier that Deviations is just a one shot. I love the idea behind it, so I was wondering, with all the different crossovers the main IDW turtles have had, and how successful they are, any chance we could see the turtles from Deviations crossover into the main TMNT ongoing series? Because that would be epic.
Who knows, maybe one day!
Old 01-14-2016, 10:56 AM   #74
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

An unintended possible side-effect of this thread... I may get less Ninja Notes!! And that would be bad, as we've been running low recently, and questions make the best letters (we get so many "i've been a TMNT fan for years!" letters, which get boring to read fast, though I appreciate getting them)

Point is, happy answer questions here, but I hope folks will consider saving some and sending them in. Get your name in print!!
Old 01-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #75
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

At the risk of further depopulating Ninja Notes , do you have any planned story arcs to bring back Renet? Also, Mirage did a lot of future Turtle glimpses off and on... any chance of getting a glimpse at another future, now that Donnie (hopefully) prevented the future of Turtles in Time #4?

I'd love to see Savanti Romero, too, but that, of course, is a spoilerific question.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #76
Stugehen
Foot Soldier

Many creative teams behind established properties rehash the same story for a new generation since it’s easy to make money for a while off of nostalgia. With such a huge wellspring of TMNT lore to pull from I’m consistently impressed at how original your ongoing story has been, now more than ever. At the same time I’m positively glowing with nostalgia each issue I read.

This is a big open question, but will you offer some insight into your creative process? Or more specifically, when formulating story arcs and direction how do you balance original content with just enough inspiration from past iterations to keep things fresh, but in sync with what TMNT means to so many fans?
Old 01-14-2016, 11:21 AM   #77
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
An unintended possible side-effect of this thread... I may get less Ninja Notes!! And that would be bad, as we've been running low recently, and questions make the best letters (we get so many "i've been a TMNT fan for years!" letters, which get boring to read fast, though I appreciate getting them)

Point is, happy answer questions here, but I hope folks will consider saving some and sending them in. Get your name in print!!
Don't worry, I got one I am writing in my head about diverse settings. More on that in Ninja Notes!
Old 01-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #78
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:

i'll have to finally muster up my guts to finally ask a question in 'Ninja Notes'!

i've been wanting to for the longest time, but honestly have been a WEE bit nervous to do so!
Old 01-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #79
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
At the risk of further depopulating Ninja Notes , do you have any planned story arcs to bring back Renet? Also, Mirage did a lot of future Turtle glimpses off and on... any chance of getting a glimpse at another future, now that Donnie (hopefully) prevented the future of Turtles in Time #4?

I'd love to see Savanti Romero, too, but that, of course, is a spoilerific question.
We do have plans for Renet. That's about all I can say in response to this question.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #80
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It's been a long time coming, and I can at last ask a question that's been bugging me for a while.

Where on Earth (or Utrominion?) is Krang's mother? I don't think there's room for an in-story explanation and it's just a very minor inconvenience. But it's still something I've been wondering about. For now, I'm assuming she died before the Krang on Morbus event, but some confirmation would be nice.

With that as a base, what exactly went on in the feud between Quanin and Traxus? Was Krang's mother in the crossfire like how Tang Shen was in the crossfire between Yoshi and Saki? Why was Traxus imprisoned on Morbus?
Why am I the only one asking these questions as far as I know?

In the meantime...*Gleeful squawk for A Sophie Campbell Christmas*

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 01-14-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bobby curnow, idw, idw's tmnt, questions, tom waltz