The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #1
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Article: 1990 Analysis and Opinions on a Reboot

INTERESTING... FASCINATING...

On some geek site I've never come across before, a fan had this to say (full article linked below):

"When I decided to revisit the 1990 TMNT film I'd forgotten just how dark that original movie actually is, especially considering today's climate of safe moviemaking. The movie is almost closer to an R-rating than it's original rating of PG. There's kids smoking & drinking alcohol, robbing people, the foot beating up April O'neil, Raphael beaten into a near coma by The Foot and a badly beaten and bloodied up Splinter strung to a fence. It's actually a pretty dark and gritty movie with the addition of the comedic surfer dude Turtles to lighten things up."

It's very similar to what I and many of you have expressed on this very forum... Thoughts?

https://universaldork.com/2019/02/12...go-old-school/

Last edited by PizzaPower1985; 06-24-2020 at 12:39 PM.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Seems accurate. When you think about it, it's hard to find gritty family movies that take it that far these days. And how old were a lot of kids who saw it in the theater back then?

Been considering showing it to my nephew who recently turned four, but been skeptical if he's old enough, though with those points made... now I'm less sure.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Seems accurate. When you think about it, it's hard to find gritty family movies that take it that far these days. And how old were a lot of kids who saw it in the theater back then?

Been considering showing it to my nephew who recently turned four, but been skeptical if he's old enough, though with those points made... now I'm less sure.
Here's what you do with your nephew... the same thing I did with mine.

1) Show him the 1987 pilot at four years old.

2) When he turns 5, sit him down and talk to him about the Turtles and ask him if he wants to see a "real turtle movie." Then, show it to him. A lot of the dark, gritty stuff will prob. go over his head (as it did with mine).

4 may be too young for any real ninja turtle movie. And, if I was in charge of a remake, let's just say you would legally need to be "accompanied by a parent or guardian to the theater if you are under 17."
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote