The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 10:50 PM   #81
PApagreg
Stone Warrior
 
PApagreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
MST3K is really the only thing I like that's like that. Joe Bob Briggs too. But I usually don't like jokey criticisms made for laughs. Not from bloggers nor you tubers. I just don't care for it.

I want you to know that opinions can be conditional. I can like MST3K and not like armchair critics (bloggers, You Tubers, podcasters) nor things like Cinema Sins and Honest Trailers. That is a thing a person can do.

Also, to be fair, it's not really Cinema Sins and Honest Trailers that I don't like. It's more about the people who watch it. Those people who like to nitpick tiny stuff like lens flares, raspy voices, and high heels.

:
Okay I never said anything about you liking MS3TK over Cinema sins so I have no idea where this is coming from I just thought it was kinda strange how you referred HISHE and Honest Trailers as intellectuals. Also it seems you should be focusing on the nitpickers then the entertainers.
__________________
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:48 AM   #82
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
In film school, whenever they would show an older movie, 80% of the class would walk out. I would face palm every time and think "what a bunch of tools," imagining film school students in 50 to 70 years walking out of The Avengers because it was "old, boring and had outdated visual effects."

Even as a kid, I never cared if things were "dated" or "old."Not even my age was like that. I've always found it kinda babyish to not watch a movie or play a game or listen to a song that is "old," like refusing to eat the vegetables your mother was trying to feed you. And I find it a little naive whenever I hear someone use the word "dated" as a criticism. No freaking d'uh. Everything made in any era is a product of its era.

Actually, often I find it easier to watch a movie from a different era because then you don't have all the trailers, hype, and so on working against the film, and I get to look at it with fresh eyes. But that is just me.
I had usually no idea how old a book, TV-series or film was when I was about 10.
__________________
My fanfiction

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan

(under reconstruction, will last some time because of computer problems. Hopefully, some will reappear as soon as possible)
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:36 AM   #83
pferreira
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Really? People who actually paid to go to film school would walk out because the instructor showed an older movie? Are those people stupid? Isn't the whole point to teach them how movies were made?
I've witnessed worse than this. On my university course hardly anyone ever showed up to the weekly film screening. You'd be lucky if someone showed up to put the VHS tape in. As hardly anyone watched the weekly film it was always left to me to explain the plot. In fairness the films were available in the library to be watched in people's own time but still a lot of times that didn't even happen with the students.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #84
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior
 
sgtfbomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Internet
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I had usually no idea how old a book, TV-series or film was when I was about 10.
The age of something isn't really something that matters. Even when I was a teen, I was listening to classic rock and contemporary. I was watching old shows and new shows. It didn't really matter to me. Why cling to just right now when there are decades worth of movies, music, shows, and games to dive into? But that's just me.

Quote:
o put the VHS tape in. As hardly anyone watched the weekly film it was always left to me to explain the plot. In fairness the films were available in the library to be watched in people's own time but still a lot of times that didn't even happen with the students.
In my experience, survey classes like that are usually attendance based. But, you're right, the professor would just grab the films from he school library. There was one thing we as class hated unanimously and that was a several-part documentary we had to watch called The Story of Film. I love documentaries. I love film. I love documentaries about film. But that was the most dreadfully smug piece of crap I've ever seen, mostly thanks to the narrator.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #85
Spitfire
Writer Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I've witnessed worse than this. On my university course hardly anyone ever showed up to the weekly film screening. You'd be lucky if someone showed up to put the VHS tape in. As hardly anyone watched the weekly film it was always left to me to explain the plot. In fairness the films were available in the library to be watched in people's own time but still a lot of times that didn't even happen with the students.
I paid insane amounts of money to go to film school. I can't imagine just not showing up to class or doing assignments. We watched a lot of things I wasn't interested in but it's all part of the learning process. We had a lot of students who refused to watch anything that wasn't a blockbuster and the other extreme, hated anything with a budget. The instructors at my school encouraged this behavior by constantly trash talking the latest big budget film without having seen it. Their only basis for the hate was that the film was made under the establishment. This being ironic because not one of my teachers showed us their work when asked. One even snapped at me and told me she didn't have to.

I say if you're going to be a teacher you should be able to display you have knowledge in what you're teaching. Not sure what I expected. My "school" was sued several times for illegal practices so yeah. . .there's that.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #86
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 9,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I paid insane amounts of money to go to film school. I can't imagine just not showing up to class or doing assignments. We watched a lot of things I wasn't interested in but it's all part of the learning process. We had a lot of students who refused to watch anything that wasn't a blockbuster and the other extreme, hated anything with a budget. The instructors at my school encouraged this behavior by constantly trash talking the latest big budget film without having seen it. Their only basis for the hate was that the film was made under the establishment. This being ironic because not one of my teachers showed us their work when asked. One even snapped at me and told me she didn't have to.

I say if you're going to be a teacher you should be able to display you have knowledge in what you're teaching. Not sure what I expected. My "school" was sued several times for illegal practices so yeah. . .there's that.
I guess the instructor hates movies done by Marvel Studios, That's an establishment that's been doing extremely well, Sounds like hes more into Indie films.

The 1990 movie is an indie movie itself, Maybe you should mention it to them.
__________________
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:14 PM   #87
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior
 
sgtfbomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Internet
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I paid insane amounts of money to go to film school. I can't imagine just not showing up to class or doing assignments. We watched a lot of things I wasn't interested in but it's all part of the learning process. We had a lot of students who refused to watch anything that wasn't a blockbuster and the other extreme, hated anything with a budget. The instructors at my school encouraged this behavior by constantly trash talking the latest big budget film without having seen it. Their only basis for the hate was that the film was made under the establishment. This being ironic because not one of my teachers showed us their work when asked. One even snapped at me and told me she didn't have to.

I say if you're going to be a teacher you should be able to display you have knowledge in what you're teaching. Not sure what I expected. My "school" was sued several times for illegal practices so yeah. . .there's that.
Just out of curiosity, was your school a chain of schools. Mine was and my time there started off great, but the quality of the teaching unfortunately degraded after lawsuits and issues with the Government allegedly, which led to budget cuts and laying off instructors (the better ones IMO), and then ultimately deciding to close the local branch down.

I had one teacher who couldn't really articulate or communicate his lessons very well, which was very frustrating because you really want to learn stuff and then you go on to the advance classes where some students were lucky enough to get a more effective instructor, while some of us needed brushing up.

One of my last coarses, the instructor didn't teach us. She put on You Tube videos, which taught us. We paid for a professional grade coarse and got You Tube videos.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #88
pferreira
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I paid insane amounts of money to go to film school. I can't imagine just not showing up to class or doing assignments. We watched a lot of things I wasn't interested in but it's all part of the learning process.
We watched all types of films but people's part time jobs or a lack of interest prevented them from making any effort. Their education came second. Kind of makes you wonder why do the degree in the first place apart from the whole "oh it's Film Studies, easy degree, all I have to do is watch films!"
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:25 PM   #89
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior
 
sgtfbomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Internet
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
We watched all types of films but people's part time jobs or a lack of interest prevented them from making any effort. Their education came second. Kind of makes you wonder why do the degree in the first place apart from the whole "oh it's Film Studies, easy degree, all I have to do is watch films!"
It takes an adult mind to make it through working and going to school full time. Also, you have those who don't really have to pay anything yet and are used to the restiveness of high school and suddenly get to an environment where skipping class "isn't a big deal." To them, they feel more free than they have ever been in their entire life, but you kinda have to get that out of your system before you can be successful.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM   #90
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
The age of something isn't really something that matters. Even when I was a teen, I was listening to classic rock and contemporary. I was watching old shows and new shows. It didn't really matter to me. Why cling to just right now when there are decades worth of movies, music, shows, and games to dive into?
I also did that as a teenager, but then I would usually check out which year it was dated. But as I child, it was different.

I recall having a Tintin cassette-tape about Tintin and his friends travelling by spacecraft to Moon, and Tintin claiming he was the first human on the Moon. I always thought that was stupid when in reality, Neil Armstrong was first in July 1969 and the story should be based on that. The ride was depicted as not too unlike the real Apollo Project (except no Lunar Module and no water splashdown when returning to Earth). While I knew the year of Neil Armstrong's landing, I hat no idea that Tintin story was dated 1953 or something.
__________________
My fanfiction

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan

(under reconstruction, will last some time because of computer problems. Hopefully, some will reappear as soon as possible)
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1990 film

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.