The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 05-11-2016, 01:29 AM   #41
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist

I love Rowlet, but I'm also starting to dig the water starter. I'm not sure.

Litten's name though. XD It sounds like a fandom nickname.
PangolinFeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:48 AM   #42
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I like the designs for all the starters, but... I thought having a seal for the water starter was a bit redundant since we already have oshawott.

Just a tiny nitpick though. I cant wait to see all of their final evolutions. Im hoping litten's final stage is a really kickass looking tiger that doesn't become a fire/fighting type.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:01 AM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

The cat is probably going to be fire/dark when it evolves. It already looks like a dark type even though its first stage isn't.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:10 AM   #44
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Whatever it becomes, anything but a fire/fighting type. I thought Blaziken was cool, Infernape great but emboar was ridiculous.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 05-11-2016 at 02:25 AM.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:37 AM   #45
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Yup, I believe Bisharp and Pangoro were designed by different people as well. Maybe they ARE moving away from a "signature look" but in my eyes it doesn't really matter, because that just means we'll get even more examples that redefine what a Pokemon's design is. And to me that just seems like how things would naturally progress.

edit: when u didnt notice a whole page was added to the discussion
Old 05-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #46
CyberCubed
Overlord

Haven't people been saying this since like Hoenn? I remember when Gen III first came out everyone was saying how the Hoenn pokemon looked so different than the Kanto/Johto Pokemon. I love a lot of the Hoenn pokemon and some of my favorites are from that region. But its pretty obvious the designs have been changing considerably after the first two gens.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #47
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The only thing that has gotten consistently uglier/more generic starting with Gen IV is the trainers, Black and White being the exception oddly enough.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #48
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The only thing that has gotten consistently uglier/more generic starting with Gen IV is the trainers, Black and White being the exception oddly enough.
I like the looks of Lucas, Dawn, Hilda, Hilbert, Serena, they are great designs.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #49
billbot85
Mad Scientist

I'm excited for Sun and Moon. I like the new starters, might be choosing either Litten or Rowlet. If Popplio ends up having an awesome evolution, then I might go with him since I usually pick a water type as my starter.

GIFSoup
billbot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #50
CyberCubed
Overlord

I probably won't buy the games as I've never played XY or BW/BW2, but I always like seeing the designs for the new pokemon and Gym leaders even if I've lost interest in playing the games themselves.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:20 PM   #51
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I probably won't buy the games as I've never played XY or BW/BW2, but I always like seeing the designs for the new pokemon and Gym leaders even if I've lost interest in playing the games themselves.
Fair. You can probably just flip through the strategy guide when you're in line at Gamestop and get the whole experience that way.

I like seeing the new designs as I play the game, personally, because for me a new Pokemon journey has its own kind of comfort to it. What makes each one unique are the critters I decide to use along the way. And as long as there are enough monsters to interest me, I'll keep coming back.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:24 PM   #52
CyberCubed
Overlord

I know the games are still enjoyable, but I've mostly gotten burnt out on playing them since when I was younger I played Gens 1-4 to DEATH. I seriously have 999:59 hours on my old Sapphire cart, and 800 hours on my Leaf Green file. I think my Diamond game had 700 hours too. Let alone the countless hours I spent on RBY and GSC.

Obviously after all that I got burnt out. Nowadays I appreciate the universe of Pokemon and its characters more than actually playing the games. Like I always like looking at the new pokemon designs, and the new human characters and Gym leaders, etc. and look up fanart, etc.

Also between that and the actual games don't change that much between gens outside of the meta game (you're still traveling around routes battling 8 Gym leaders, etc.) so I just like looking at it from afar now. I still consider myself a fan of the franchise.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:34 PM   #53
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I know the games are still enjoyable, but I've mostly gotten burnt out on playing them since when I was younger I played Gens 1-4 to DEATH. I seriously have 999:59 hours on my old Sapphire cart, and 800 hours on my Leaf Green file. I think my Diamond game had 700 hours too. Let alone the countless hours I spent on RBY and GSC.

Obviously after all that I got burnt out. Nowadays I appreciate the universe of Pokemon and its characters more than actually playing the games. Like I always like looking at the new pokemon designs, and the new human characters and Gym leaders, etc. and look up fanart, etc.

Also between that and the actual games don't change that much between gens outside of the meta game (you're still traveling around routes battling 8 Gym leaders, etc.) so I just like looking at it from afar now. I still consider myself a fan of the franchise.
How can you just sink several hundred hours into these games? Do you raise every Pokémon? Isn't that boring as hell? Because once you beat all the trainers then all you can do, at least in RBY, is play against Elite 4 again and again and face wild Pokémon. And battling wild Pokémon gives you less exp points. So yea, no wonder people used the Missigno glitch and Nintendo kept it in the 3DS VC versions.

Supposedly, once this game comes out you'll be able to transfer your Gen I Pokémon to the Poké Bank. Nintendo should re-release the Gold/Silver remake for he 3DS so people can transfer Gen 2 Pokémon to it as well. And later make a D/P remake.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:39 PM   #54
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Red face

As much as the game has changed it hasn't changed a lot so I can understand someone who plays it that much could've gotten burnt out. I'm more of a casual player so when I get burnt out I've only played like 20 hours max and move on. I'm sure eventually you'll want to play them again or try the new game when your interest is rekindled after a long time of not playing.

But anyway since you've spent so much time into the franchise wouldn't you want to buy any of the Gen VI or VII games just to transfer your Pokemon to Pokemon Bank? If not you may lose them forever and once in Pokemon Bank you know that you'll have them forever when you return to play the games and you know all your old monsters you spent hours with are still "with you".

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
I like the looks of Lucas, Dawn, Hilda, Hilbert, Serena, they are great designs.
Oh there's plenty of character designs in newer games that I love but overall the designs have gotten weaker. I haven't liked a male player character design starting with Gen IV, this includes the remakes of Gen II and Gen III which they actually made the playable characters look worse. Overall designs of characters are worse, you can still find awesome character designs, especially with Gym Leaders but they're still a coin toss.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:25 PM   #55
Prowler
Emperor

Tbh Gen I had some bad and/pror uninspired Pokémon designs too. It's just that there's lots of nostalgia for it so many people can't bring themselves to criticize it. I mean look at Tangela. What is that even? Running spaghetti with legs? As for unimaginative, Diglet's and Magnemite's evolutions anyone? It's just 3 Diglet's and 3 Magnemites respectively. And Rapidash is just a slightly bigger Ponyta. And let's not forget Voltorb. A poké ball turned into life. And Electrode is an upside down poké ball. Really creative, eh? Golbat was Zubat with a big ass mouth and a huge tongue. Ugliest looking sprite in the game. Eggxecute wasn't exactly a great looking fellow either. And Jynx was... infamous for her controversial design. Need I say anything else?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:41 PM   #56
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Tbh Gen I had some bad and/pror uninspired Pokémon designs too. It's just that there's lots of nostalgia for it so many people can't bring themselves to criticize it. I mean look at Tangela. What is that even? Running spaghetti with legs? As for unimaginative, Diglet's and Magnemite's evolutions anyone? It's just 3 Diglet's and 3 Magnemites respectively. And Rapidash is just a slightly bigger Ponyta. And let's not forget Voltorb. A poké ball turned into life. And Electrode is an upside down poké ball. Really creative, eh? Golbat was Zubat with a big ass mouth and a huge tongue. Ugliest looking sprite in the game. Eggxecute wasn't exactly a great looking fellow either. And Jynx was... infamous for her controversial design. Need I say anything else?
Mister Mime. Aka, that pantomime expert who can't come within five hundred feet of a school or playground.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:14 AM   #57
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
IMO, I felt B/W was a really good game. At least the story was interesting, imo, espcially with N's character. I liked the irony of the gang. "We believe that Pokemon should be our friends. People shouldn't use them for senseless battle. I'm going to battle you with my Pokemon." lol

Now X/Y felt kind of dumb to me...storywise, but the features in that game was pretty nice. It was nice to make a character that wasn't generically white-looking and it's nice how it had a multilingual option and I hope this feature remains (not sure if the Omega Ruby or whatever it was called, had it). Mega Evolution...meh to me. Couldn't get into it.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:06 AM   #58
TonySiegel
Stone Warrior

Is anyone going to do a shiny soft reset challenge for the starters with these new games?

haha major time sink...

life is to short...

"...Color or creed, is no need for a man to bleed/ I believe, we all breathe the same seed/ Unless it's diluted, for somethin to intrude it..." - Kool G. Rap
TonySiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #59
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
How can you just sink several hundred hours into these games? Do you raise every Pokémon? Isn't that boring as hell? Because once you beat all the trainers then all you can do, at least in RBY, is play against Elite 4 again and again and face wild Pokémon. And battling wild Pokémon gives you less exp points. So yea, no wonder people used the Missigno glitch and Nintendo kept it in the 3DS VC versions.

Supposedly, once this game comes out you'll be able to transfer your Gen I Pokémon to the Poké Bank. Nintendo should re-release the Gold/Silver remake for he 3DS so people can transfer Gen 2 Pokémon to it as well. And later make a D/P remake.
You mean heart gold and soul silver? You can play the remakes on the 3ds, and you can as of now transfer Pokémon from gen 3 up to gen 6 as of now.

Yes even the Gold Silver remakes can get there Pokémon transfer up to gen 6. It takes work, transfer Heart Gold Soul Silver mons to Black White 1 2, and than onto the Pokémon bank. Than load to your XY ORAS file. In the gen 2 remakes, I was able to trade for Jasmine's Steelix and today its in AS, crummy stats lol. But it belong to Jasmine, and she is one of my favorite trainers.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:01 PM   #60
sdp
Megan Fox = April

There's actually a way to transfer your Gen I games to Gen VII. If you buy a device that can rip the save file from your Gameboy cartridge and then transfer that save file into the SD card containing the data from the Virtual Console Gen I release and there you have your original 20 year old Pokemon in a permanent save file on your 3DS and when Suna nd Moon come out you'll be able to transfer them there through Pokemon Bank. I would totally have done this but sadly my Blue game file was erased last time I tried playing it like a year ago... I know 4 years ago the file still worked...If only it had lasted a little while longer for me to know it would be possible to transfer and I would've done that convoluted process. My Yellow file still worked but that one didn't have any Pokemon team I would go through the effort to get my Pokes.

I like the new region, should be fun, I like the idea of islands and this will be different enough from Hoenn. It'll be like the Sevii islands but more expanded. The legendaries are ok, I like the lion but not the bat. The trainers I like the girls design but the boy is as generic as you can get just like the XY protagonist and even the HGSS and ORAS trainers they just look so generic. I'm liking the characters not being chibi. While I liked the chibi look it's also cool to see them how they're supposed to be. The game still looks super pixelated like BW did when they were revealed. I guess XY was the same but I don't remember it being so pixelated.