The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-02-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
pferreira
Foot Elite

The Positives and Negatives of Being a Well Known TMNT Fan

In advance I'd like to tell the mods if they feel this thread is pointless please lock it or delete it. I just wanted to bring attention to a video that was in my YT notifications.

A lot of us have either met Michelle Ivey online, watched videos on her channel or met her in person. She became well known for her Totally Obsessed programme which made her seem more obsessed than she actually is. Michelle seems like a really nice person and most seem to think she's okay however that Totally Obsessed video years later is still doing the rounds in people's YT videos. Here's the link:

This up and coming YouTuber did a video on Michelle, making fun of the obvious stuff we all thought of when we first watched that original programme on her. Now a YouTuber covering this is their business but years later isn't this really low hanging fruit at this stage? Go to the comments section and everyone seems really misinformed about her because this YouTuber didn't do any research. The video was obviously done for quick views and to get subscribers. It's not the worst video covering her but it still doesn't paint Michelle in the most positive light either.

My question is really whether picking on a fan years later is fine and whether having a reputation like the one Michelle unintentionally has with that Totally Obsessed episode has it's pros or cons? As a fan do you guys want to appreciated in years to come in a positive way or do you not really care either way?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
Roseangelo
Emperor

I don't care about any of those videos. My biggest bother has always been her constant asking of money from people.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:03 PM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I got this video in my feed as well.

While I hardly know much about Michelle Ivy, its obvious that the title of the video was made purposely dramatic to get more views/clicks.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:57 PM   #4
IMJ
Emperor

She's really into her hobby, but once it impacts the normal operations of your life rather than enhances them - well that's the first key measure of mental illness.

But with that said, the guy who did the video wasn't too devastating in ripping on her, but I don't see any point to that video at all. I mean.... the guy who made it accomplishes nothing and does nothing to help the situation. He made the video for himself and for clickbait.

On that note the guy doing the video sounds like a mouth breather, like Napolean Dynamite or something and his best message is that he has another channel showing him doing multi-player on some game.

We are watching an extreme mouth-breather's video as he makes fun of societal misanthrope. The whole thing is ********.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:25 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't know this person and I doubt we've ever interacted.

In theory, people doing whatever makes them happy is a good thing.

However, regardless of what the object of fixation is, that level of devotion and obsession simply isn't healthy, whether physically, emotionally, or mentally.

I sincerely hope the bits about ONLY eating pizza - and worse, only eating "authentic" TMNT-style toppings - were exaggerated. Just for starters.

We all have things we "geek" for, but going into deep debt and endangering our physical health and well-being over a movie or TV show is frankly indicative of a much more serious underlying issue. My concern is that the seriousness of it has been downplayed over the years by her friends and family because it's "just" TMNT. When I see things like this about fanatic-types, I always wonder what's going to happen to these people when their family members inevitably move away and/or pass away.

I mean I collect things from various properties, too, and hardly a day goes by where I'm not "encouraged" by one or several people to get rid of everything because it's "holding me back" from having a "real life". And I don't want to, and hopefully won't have to, but as I've gotten older it's becoming more and more of a possibility, because you can't eat plastic toys and so on. But I will say, if I ever even considered the possibility of getting a bank loan to buy a movie prop while simultaneously not being able to afford rent or food, I would be forced to take a long look in the mirror and make some difficult choices.

Probably a nice person. Absolutely unhealthy lifestyle, though. Also none of my business, BUT, if people put themselves out there, they can expect people to toss in their two cents.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:33 AM   #6
Roseangelo
Emperor

The pizza thing isn't real. From what I've seen recently her entire family basically doesn't have enough money for food, yet she's still going to conventions and buying TMNT figures and refusing to sell anything that could offer a helping hand to her family's poverty lifestyle.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:06 AM   #7
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

I really enjoyed the interviews she did on Cowabunga Corner with the cast of the shows and movies. I especially liked the one she did with Michael Sinterniklaas. He talks about some of the behind the scenes on the 1990 movie and how he got to voice Leonardo in the 2003 series. I can't think of anyone else who has connections like that or has the desire to interview all those people. I would like to see more of those.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #8
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
But with that said, the guy who did the video wasn't too devastating in ripping on her, but I don't see any point to that video at all. I mean.... the guy who made it accomplishes nothing and does nothing to help the situation. He made the video for himself and for clickbait.
From what I understand his videos cover what he considers 'weird' people. It does seem like obvious clickbait, not sure why I got it in my notifications along with FredWolfLeonardo. If it was to get my attention it worked. If it was to get me to subscribe I didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I sincerely hope the bits about ONLY eating pizza - and worse, only eating "authentic" TMNT-style toppings - were exaggerated. Just for starters.
She's stated on her YouTube channel that the entire show was exaggerated to make her look more obsessed than she actually is. She's definitely an uber TMNT fan but she doesn't eat pizza everyday or always wear her TMNT costume. She can't anyway due to health issues relating to a nerve in her wrist or arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Probably a nice person. Absolutely unhealthy lifestyle, though. Also none of my business, BUT, if people put themselves out there, they can expect people to toss in their two cents.
I agree. She's apparently okay with the attention from that video at least today. I mean it was done back in 2004 I think? Then again she has mentioned she still finds the misconceptions about her frustrating. She did a multi-part video covering the filming. It's interesting to watch what really happened behind the scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
She has somehow become an unofficial face of the fandom and I think she's not very representative of most of us. And that is why she gets so much attention from within the fandom IMO. I think someone like Pixel Dan or Andrew Black Nerd are better examples of high-profile fans, they seem more relatable. But there's no drama or things to poke fun at with them so it's less entertaining for people.
To be fair she has raised money for charity and she brought to a lot of fans attention what happened with Ernie Reyes Jr's health problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Michelle has an account here. If she reads this, I just want to say... it has to be surreal to have people in the fandom just randomly start talking about you even many many years after that episode aired on TV.
That's exactly why I made a disclaimer for the mods here at the start of this thread. Don't want to come across like I'm making trouble for her. It's just something I and and a couple of other TMNT fans have come across in the past week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Shredder View Post
I really enjoyed the interviews she did on Cowabunga Corner with the cast of the shows and movies.
She actually has two channels. Not sure why she decided to split them up when they have the same content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
So long as people keep bailing her out, she isn't going to take on any responsibility for herself.
With her money issues I do wonder how she still has Internet access to continue her channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Not saying it to be mean or judge or anything, but makes me wonder if she's a little on the spectrum.
Well I am on the spectrum so I can understand what that is like although thankfully I haven't been in similar situations with money Michelle has...yet.

Quote:
What year did that episode even come out? Even though it's still out there, it does seem a skosh late to be poking fun at her for it.
2004 according to IMDB.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421472/fullcredits

Like I said, at this point it's low hanging fruit and Michelle's circumstances have changed greatly since then. I mean she's essentially got a disability and I don't mean her dyslexia.

Quote:
Welp, at least the girl would starve to death happy surrounded by a few of her favorite pieces.
That reminds me, I wonder how Michelle's health is going at the moment? I remember someone posted a video of her a year or so ago showing one of her nerve seizures. I hope she's a bit better than back then.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
That reminds me, I wonder how Michelle's health is going at the moment? I remember someone posted a video of her a year or so ago showing one of her nerve seizures. I hope she's a bit better than back then.
Pretty sure it's "never better."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote