The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 06-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #261
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

I'm supposed to be like "Mr. Social Justice" and everything BUT I have never liked the idea of "forced diversity" in fictional entertainment just to further the cause of racial justice.

Characters should be portrayed in "other media" how they were originally conceived.

James Bond should be a white male with dark hair and a scar under his left eye.

Superman should be a tall muscular white male with BLACK HAIR.

Wonder Woman should be a statuesque gorgeous bombshell brunette.

Baxter Stockman should NOT have been white-washed into a blond, geeky scientist.

Asian characters should not be white-washed.

In the name of accuracy and faithfulness, keep characters as they were originally conceived.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:32 PM   #262
Leo656
The Franchise

I, personally, would love it if both "Baxter Stockmans" existed in-universe, were aware of each other but never or only rarely interacted, and were forever annoyed at the fact that people keep getting them confused with "that other guy".

Like on the NJ indy wrestling scene there are two guys named "Rob Fury", a white guy who also promotes and a black guy who just wrestles. And everyone who deals with them has them in their phone as "White Rob Fury" and "Black Rob Fury", and each guy gets bemused when people get them confused. It's pretty funny.

It also happens a lot with guys named "Shane Taylor", come to think of it. I myself share a gimmick name with a DJ from Detroit, but we're both white so it's not a very good example.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:34 PM   #263
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I mean, that's what they were created to be, so... it's pretty stupid that that would even be a "controversial opinion" in the first place.
Maybe he'd think it's contoversial now that there is a version of April who isn't white? Or that it's in vogue to make straight characters gay? I dunno, I don't think anyone would really care if April's back to being white in the next cartoon, at least not around here or even outside of Tumblr and Twitter for that matter.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:43 PM   #264
Leo656
The Franchise

If April's back to being white again in the next reboot, you can bet your ass that at least someone is gonna be chirping about "giant steps backwards" and "caving in to the bigots standing in the way of diversity and inclusion."

I can predict as to who, but if I say their names out loud they're gonna show up in here like the goddamn Candyman.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:48 PM   #265
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Always dumb to change characters to the point they are "in name only" anyhow. Be it color, gender, or what have you, it just feels cheap and lazy to me to take existing ones and alter them to fit. There's no reason that a need for more diversity can't equal new awesome characters.

Had Nick 2012 never gone and made April a teen then 'Rise' April probably still could have been an adult, if she appeared in it at all, and the April we know in this one wouldn't have to seem like an "in name only" case because there is nothing recognizable about her personalty or life that really says "April." I've got nothing against the girl (other than 'Rise' characters, including her, just being annoying sometimes), but I think it's a wasted opportunity not to have made her a new friend who could have had a better chance of showing up again in the future (in a better version), and as a young friend of the TMNT, since it's more likely that April will at some point here go back to who she used to be; esp since we haven't seen adult redhead cartoon April for what, a decade now? It would have been cool for April to go back to being adult April while giving the Turtles a new friend their own age. But no... change for the sake of change and lazy missed opportunities as a result.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:08 AM   #266
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Okay... this is gonna seem weird given my last post, BUT I actually WOULDN'T MIND seeing April as a 25 year old black woman in a DIRECT ADAPTATION (maybe a Netflix series) of the Mirage books. Seeing her in her blue jumpsuit would be great next to a black Stockman.

I wouldn't even be bothered (it might be neat) if it was filmed in black and white.

That said, IF it's not a direct Mirage adaptation I want a white April with gorgeous BIG red hair, like an 80's video vixen. That's now I wanna see April.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:32 PM   #267
bgb1018
Foot Soldier

- TMNT 2 Secret of the Ooze is underrated but would absolutely have benefited from continuing with the rumored Utrom angle that was apparently scrapped before shooting.

- Tokka and Rahzar > Bebop and Rocksteady

- the Image run is an incredible series that deserves more love. The fact that we're finally getting an ending to it is great!

- the IDW series does have its flaws but overall it does a fantastic job of intertwining ideas from all iterations in a way that makes sense (at least as much sense as it can in a world of 4 foot mutant turtles)

- as cringey as "Coming of Our Shells Tour" is to watch, there's actually a few good tunes to come out of that

- as much as I love the original show, 2K3 and 2012 are the best representations of on the turtles in cartoons

- the final episodes of the Super Shredder season of 2012 was some of the best TMNT episodes ever produced

- the fight scene between Leo and Raph in the 2007 movie is one of the best fights in any TMNT product, and the movie itself is hugely underrated

- Out of the Shadows was a killer game

- the IDW 20 / 20 issue of TMNT was one of the best single shot stories in the franchise and should 100% have gotten a 3 - 5 issue mini run at the very least to thoroughly flesh out the entire story. I'd love to see more of Mikey in the leader role and I'd also love seeing more of what would essentially be Leo's redemption story.
bgb1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:41 PM   #268
bgb1018
Foot Soldier

Also, the fact that we haven't gotten a Triceraton story in a movie yet is a travesty.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:00 PM   #269
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgb1018 View Post
- TMNT 2 Secret of the Ooze is underrated but would absolutely have benefited from continuing with the rumored Utrom angle that was apparently scrapped before shooting.

- Tokka and Rahzar > Bebop and Rocksteady

- the Image run is an incredible series that deserves more love. The fact that we're finally getting an ending to it is great!

- the IDW series does have its flaws but overall it does a fantastic job of intertwining ideas from all iterations in a way that makes sense (at least as much sense as it can in a world of 4 foot mutant turtles)

- as cringey as "Coming of Our Shells Tour" is to watch, there's actually a few good tunes to come out of that

- as much as I love the original show, 2K3 and 2012 are the best representations of on the turtles in cartoons

- the final episodes of the Super Shredder season of 2012 was some of the best TMNT episodes ever produced

- the fight scene between Leo and Raph in the 2007 movie is one of the best fights in any TMNT product, and the movie itself is hugely underrated

- Out of the Shadows was a killer game

- the IDW 20 / 20 issue of TMNT was one of the best single shot stories in the franchise and should 100% have gotten a 3 - 5 issue mini run at the very least to thoroughly flesh out the entire story. I'd love to see more of Mikey in the leader role and I'd also love seeing more of what would essentially be Leo's redemption story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgb1018 View Post
Also, the fact that we haven't gotten a Triceraton story in a movie yet is a travesty.
  • I agree that SotO should have had Utroms, the part about Don being concerned about the accidental mutagen is a weird scene to leave in if no such twist occurs.
  • I'm not as annoyed with Tokka and Rahzar as I am with Bebop and Rocksteady, though mostly because they're not as overused and because there isn't as much misplaced nostalgia for them, as well as having a more agreeable origin. Ultimately it kind of sucks that they are more babylike, not gonna argue that's not something worth complaining about.
  • I do not like the Image run. The story is a mess, a little too much of it is a Savage Dragon crossover and there are some really ugly aspects to the art.
  • I agree on the count of IDW (don't think there's many that do). I'm a little concerned regarding the current direction however.
  • About CooST... Sure? Haven't bothered to watch it but I guess there's a reason Pizza Power is in TiT.
  • I would also agree on the cartoon, except that I don't "love" (or even like) the FW cartoon.
  • Don't know that the Super Shredder episodes of the 2012 cartoon are all that good. There are some bones I could pick with them.
  • The fight in the 2007 movie is pretty good.
  • I have not played OotS. The art style/world of that game essentially being a "darker" version of the 2012 cartoon is... An interesting choice.
  • The IDW 20/20 getting a mini is not that unlikely.
  • Triceraton movie... Yeah, it's been Shredder-Shredder-Walker-Stone Warriors-Shredder-Shredder/Krang in the movies so far, could be good to see the Triceratons.
Hahahaha!
Old 07-05-2020, 10:48 PM   #270
bgb1018
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
  • The IDW 20/20 getting a mini is not that unlikely.
  • Triceraton movie... Yeah, it's been Shredder-Shredder-Walker-Stone Warriors-Shredder-Shredder/Krang in the movies so far, could be good to see the Triceratons.
- I could see it happening if The Last Ronin is well received. I'd be surprised if they did another futuristic story series if this one ends up not resonating well. I just felt the one shot left so many questions and possibilities I'd love to see fulfilled.

- I'm always going to a fan of seeing the turtles duke it out with Shredder on the big screen, but at this point giving him a rest and doing something different (like TMNT 3 and 2007) would be nice. But at least with Triceratons, they are part of TMNT lore already and would bring a familiarity to it as well.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:56 PM   #271
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

They can base it on 80s/90s era like the first movie (and also 50s/60s Bond , screw being pc , i want a Bond that smokes and slaps a womans behind if he feels like it.....hah

So the TMNT would not have internet , maybe not even cel phones lol

Adrienne Barbeau kinda had April hair style back in the day

Last edited by Hamato Yoshi; 07-12-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:36 PM   #272
oknazevad
Mouser

Here's one that's definitely out there:

The turtles themselves are misnamed. Not being named for renaissance artists, but which artist's name is assigned to which turtle. Everything else, personalities, signature weapons, even bandana colors being the same, to really correspond to their historical namesakes, Leo and Don's names should have be swapped, as should Raph and Mike's.

The historical Donatello predates the other namesakes by decades (almost a century for Raphael), and so is the one who lead, in the sense of paving the way for the other three (who were largely contemporaries, even rivals to a certain extent). He was also known for being seriously minded in his work. Meanwhile, Leonardo Di Vinci was much more the scientifically minded of the historical figures, a true scientist and engineer. Genuinely, Leonardo did machines.

As for the other two, Michelangelo Buonarroti was a fairly temperamental figure with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He truly was cool but rude, and needed some anger management. On the other hand Raphael Sanzio was a flashy social butterfly who liked a good time (probably don't need to mention that he died young of an STD, but it's a fact anyway). He was really a party dude.

Keeping all other aspects the same, the focused leader wearing the calm blue color and working to master the most difficult weapon fits the name "Donatello", while the mechanical genius wearing regal purple who is less interested in fighting and so uses the least lethal weapon fits "Leonardo". The hot-headed scrapper in red using the most close-range weapon fits "Michelangelo", while the happy-go-lucky guy with the flashiest weapons in the brightest color, orange, fits "Raphael".

Just an out there thought.

As for other unpopular opinions:

-TMNT III is a better movie that Secret of the Ooze, even if the costumes are poor.

-Rise is not the worst incarnation of the turtles (that would be Next Mutation).

-OotS is actually a solid movie and nearly redeems those version of the turtles.

-The red sky seasons are the best written part of the 87 series.

-A series should only have Tokka or Slash, never both

Last edited by oknazevad; 07-23-2020 at 02:02 PM.
oknazevad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:51 PM   #273
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

After rewatching a few episodes of 12 I'm going to say that 5 is the best season because there aren't a lot of episodes where I think to the back of my mind and say(that didn't resolve well)
Old 07-28-2020, 05:28 PM   #274
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oknazevad View Post

-OotS is actually a solid movie and nearly redeems those version of the turtles.
Get off my planet, that movie is an abomination on every single level.
Hahahaha!
Old 07-28-2020, 06:24 PM   #275
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

lol I gotta go the middle ground... Both of those films were quite poor and not of the quality the TMNT deserve, but OotS at least did treat the guys like the stars of it, not like props, and they are much more enjoyable as characters that time around.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:01 PM   #276
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Updates to this thread popped up on my CP so, I'll have to respond to OOTS defense.

What? A solid movie? Where do you live? It sounds like you're already far away from neatoman's planet. That is indeed a really, very seriously unpopular opinion. You must also really be lovin' Rise too, eh? Nah, just razzin' ya, buddy. But I just realized TMNT fans are some forgiving mother******s. This fandom is goin' down the $hitter and we got people defendin' it. Still? Wow.

Okay, I'm goin' to bed folks. Not well. body temp. stable at 98.9 and last Friday I had a weight of 192. Now, I'm down to 181.9. It's less serious than it sounds... Just a bug and not eating properly or at all. Ya'll take care, now.
For those that reached out. Thanks for kind words.

B Back Soon! If I die, who wants my Black Flag records?
Old 07-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #277
Leo656
The Franchise

I'll take 'em. But get better anyway. Ya my boy, Blue!

Old 07-28-2020, 08:19 PM   #278
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Don't you croak on us, you seem to be one of the people who puts up with my opinions.

Hope it's not the COVID and that you're on the mend soon!
Old 07-29-2020, 09:52 AM   #279
Torterra
Foot Soldier

I actually like the Casey Jones from 2012 series I know some people aren't really a big fan of him and can see him as annoying. But he does have his funny moments and I do like that he build most of his weapons that he uses. Which is pretty sick he made pluck grenades, a taser, modify his bike with a flame thrower. I mean after this incarnation I really want to see other Casey's in future series do this besides just using baseball bats and Hockey sticks.
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:15 AM   #280
cammy85
Stone Warrior

OoTS only got better once they realized the true threat of the movie was Krang. Otherwise... meh.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote