The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 08-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Seems to explain why you're not nostalgic for the show compared to others here who grew up with it, you would have almost nothing to be nostalgic about.
I wouldn't say that. I have lots of fond memories of playing with all of the TMNT toys, pitting them against the Real Ghostbusters toys. Lots of epic battles in locations such as my bedroom floor to the bathtub. Or playing "Ninja Turtles" on the playground... basically everybody gets to pick a Turtle and one person gets to be the Shredder, and basically chase each other around the blacktop doing FAKE martial arts. Throwing pine cones too, I think.

When I sat down to rewatch the FW show with all the DVDs I expected it to be a warm rush of nostalgia. It was, I guess, for a few episodes. But man oh man, once that wore off a few episodes in, no amount of vodka could keep my attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I love that we still one more arc in the Nick toon with the original cast yet to air.
They are still doing more FW "homage" episodes? Yeesh.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #22
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
When I sat down to rewatch the FW show with all the DVDs I expected it to be a warm rush of nostalgia. It was, I guess, for a few episodes. But man oh man, once that wore off a few episodes in, no amount of vodka could keep my attention.
What do you think was the best part about the show itself? and what was your favourite season and character?

Quote:
Well atleast they will possibly have Issue 1 turtles if that makes it better for you.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:44 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post

30 years ago the Voice Actors brought the characters to life on the tv screen, and in 2017 they all finish with a blast
Especially since they're all pretty old now and may never get another chance after this. Within the next 10 years at least one of them is sadly going to pass away.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #24
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Bite your tongue Cubed! Sheesh even YOU should know better than to INVITE misfortune....

For me the show was one of the few high points of my days growing up. I was introduced to TMNT by the movie (fell in love with it) though I sort of knew about the cartoon before that. But once I started watching the series I was fully hooked for life. I remember wanting to be more like how I saw them being- strong, brave, "heroic".... (I was picked on quite a bit growing up.) They were my role models in some ways. Even though I was already in middle school by the time I got into the show. Around 11 or 12 I think.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #25
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
I wouldn't say that. I have lots of fond memories of playing with all of the TMNT toys, pitting them against the Real Ghostbusters toys. Lots of epic battles in locations such as my bedroom floor to the bathtub. Or playing "Ninja Turtles" on the playground... basically everybody gets to pick a Turtle and one person gets to be the Shredder, and basically chase each other around the blacktop doing FAKE martial arts. Throwing pine cones too, I think.

That seems to be more nostalgia for the toys and playtime with friends rather than the show itself, which is fine, they were pretty nifty toys and there's nothing wrong to have fun playing with friends. It's just that I wouldn't really equate admiration of a show with what one did because of it.

Quote:
Don't worry about it, DVDs will come out in three weeks and the episodes will float around on the internet for at least two months before they actually air. Anyone who cares will have already torrented them, the official airing will probably come and go with low ratings. Then there's three episodes left and the show is over.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:15 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
That seems to be more nostalgia for the toys and playtime with friends rather than the show itself, which is fine, they were pretty nifty toys and there's nothing wrong to have fun playing with friends. It's just that I wouldn't really equate admiration of a show with what one did because of it.
Well, I did do these, too:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=21010
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #27
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
That's kinda cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Especially since they're all pretty old now and may never get another chance after this. Within the next 10 years at least one of them is sadly going to pass away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Bite your tongue Cubed! Sheesh even YOU should know better than to INVITE misfortune....
Too late! Let's see here:
Cam Clarke, 59
Barry Gordon, 68
Rob Paulsen, 61
Townsend Coleman, 63
Pat Fraley, 68

The male life expectancy in the US as of 2017 is 76.73.
In 10 years Gordon and Fraley will be above that line, Clarke (the youngest of them) will be 7 away from it.
Hahahaha!
Old 08-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #28
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Life expectancy aside, I was talking about jinxing them by mentioning the possibility. If anything happens to one or more in the next few years, I'm blaming Cubed. Bad juju....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Don't worry about it, DVDs will come out in three weeks and the episodes will float around on the internet for at least two months before they actually air. Anyone who cares will have already torrented them, the official airing will probably come and go with low ratings. Then there's three episodes left and the show is over.
Just curious, why do you say things like this like you're trying to downplay them? Episodes will air on TV, come out on DVD, and will be rewatched or re-sold by Nick for years to come.

The way your posts sound as if these episodes, or the Nick cartoon in general, will be locked away in some vault somewhere after it ends and nobody will ever be able to watch it again. I mean I know this isn't what you mean, but I'm curious why you keep saying things like, "it'll all be over soon" like that's supposed to mean something?
Old 08-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #30
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Just curious, why do you say things like this like you're trying to downplay them? Episodes will air on TV, come out on DVD, and will be rewatched or re-sold by Nick for years to come.

The way your posts sound as if these episodes, or the Nick cartoon in general, will be locked away in some vault somewhere after it ends and nobody will ever be able to watch it again. I mean I know this isn't what you mean, but I'm curious why you keep saying things like, "it'll all be over soon" like that's supposed to mean something?
Of course it'll be available, I'm not denying that, I would be a fool if I was.

It's just that we know we'll get another show within a year of it's conclusion and they'll probably promote that show far more, then in 3-5 years the same thing will probably happen again. So even if it'll be on Netflix or something, it's probably just going to receive less attention with time in lieu of newer TMNT shows piling up. Nothing wrong with that of course, I just expect it to be buried under new product rather than remain a fan favourite.
Hahahaha!
Old 08-25-2017, 07:48 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

If anything the Nick cartoon will likely be the most exposed one, and the 2018 show might be overshadowed...especially if it also turns out bad. The Nick cartoon got a lot of attention because:

1. It was the first Nick TMNT cartoon after the buy-out

2. It was an all CG cartoon

3. It got a tremendous amount of exposure due to airing on Nick, far more than the 2k3 series did.

4. It was the first cartoon that mixed original cartoon elements with Mirage and 4kids. Granted IDW does the same thing, but being a comic makes it less exposed.

The 2018 show on the other hand has big shoes to fill and a lot of strikes against it. People are hesitant to get into another TMNT reboot right after the previous one ended, and from signs of it being kid-oriented or the Turtles having powers makes it sound questionable from the start.

I imagine even a decade from now Nick's TMNT cartoon will still be brought up regularly and the kids who grew up with it will all be 20 year olds with nostalgia for it.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:35 AM   #32
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
If anything the Nick cartoon will likely be the most exposed one, and the 2018 show might be overshadowed...especially if it also turns out bad. The Nick cartoon got a lot of attention because:

1. It was the first Nick TMNT cartoon after the buy-out

2. It was an all CG cartoon

3. It got a tremendous amount of exposure due to airing on Nick, far more than the 2k3 series did.

4. It was the first cartoon that mixed original cartoon elements with Mirage and 4kids. Granted IDW does the same thing, but being a comic makes it less exposed.

The 2018 show on the other hand has big shoes to fill and a lot of strikes against it. People are hesitant to get into another TMNT reboot right after the previous one ended, and from signs of it being kid-oriented or the Turtles having powers makes it sound questionable from the start.

I imagine even a decade from now Nick's TMNT cartoon will still be brought up regularly and the kids who grew up with it will all be 20 year olds with nostalgia for it.
Maybe but you don't have very strong arguments there.

It may be the first show since the buyout but it's literally the fourth one over all. Being in CGI means jack all, especially since the visuals have already aged poorly. I wouldn't exactly say it got "tremendous" exposure seeing how the ratings sank into mediocrity as early as season 2, no to mention how the next one is probably going to get the same or more. And mixing elements doesn't mean anything either, since the target audience probably don't know where they came from and excecution matters more than how much you can squeeze in.

That and kids in general are probably not going to care that the new show isn't the old show because it'll mostly be new kids, if it's actually good then older fans aren't really going to complain either. Your only really valid argument here is that, yes, in ca 2025 the show will probably have 20-somethings reminisce about watching it as kids.

Don't get me wrong, the show has it's charm but I don't think it'll end up on a pedestal, I think that would be grossly overestimating it.
Hahahaha!
Old 08-26-2017, 07:29 AM   #33
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post

For me the show was one of the few high points of my days growing up.
one would think. sigh.

i like to look at it as they may be older, but so long as they keep getting older they are fine.

and as for the second quote.....agreed. once i got used to the show, it became a daily high point to distract me from a less than happy school life. even better once i learned how to convert the show to audio, and i could listen to it on the go

Last edited by Vegita-San; 08-26-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:02 AM   #34
Prowler
Emperor

This thread's premise seems a bit pointless considering this sub-forum is primarily dedicated to FW TMNT... hell these forums originally were founded with the intent of making fans of the FW series come together. So a thread titled "The Fred Wolf Appreciation Thread" is a bit redundant.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:13 AM   #35
Vegita-San
Emperor

when you have lots of fred wolf bashers in a place named after fred wolf, sometimes you have to remind folks why this site is here . it is possible to like all aspects of tmnt .
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:29 AM   #36
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
This thread's premise seems a bit pointless considering this sub-forum is primarily dedicated to FW TMNT... hell these forums originally were founded with the intent of making fans of the FW series come together. So a thread titled "The Fred Wolf Appreciation Thread" is a bit redundant.
It's more "TMNT in General" at this point.

Anyway, well I did lose a certain amount of respect for this show after learning about that sleazy lawsuit where FW tried to sue Eastman and Laird for control of the franchise, and David Wise's BS interview where he paints himself as the "true" creator of TMNT

And, also because most of it didn't age well.

But, I have to admit that when I put in my DVD and watch an episode, it's suddenly 90s Saturday morning again, even if it's Wednesday night. And, I have to love it for that. Also, I like the goofy Dick Tracy gangster characters. And, some of the humor holds up, mainly the 4th wall jokes, most of "Corporate Raiders from Dimension X", and that episode where Don keeps lecturing Raph about destroying property until Raph get's fed up and (channeling Mirage Raph) tells Don to shut up and breaks down a door.

Also, I like the Neutrinos, including the Mike/Kala pairing, and I like them as Greaser/Beatniks instead of soldiers (because I like Greasers and Beatniks), so FW is the only game in town there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
when you have lots of fred wolf bashers in a place named after fred wolf, sometimes you have to remind folks why this site is here . it is possible to like all aspects of tmnt .
Just don't pretend it's one-sided.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #37
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
Originally, bashing the series wasn't allowed

http://www.thetechnodrome.com/frules.shtml

still there, but outdated

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #38
leader in blue
Random Punk

like many of u 87 was what got me into tmnt
I always tell people tho if they want to watch what the comics intended watch the 2003 and 2012 series if u want to watch the naked gun version of that go with the original 87 series (im not bashing here i loved the naked gun movies lol)
leader in blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:32 PM   #39
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by leader in blue View Post
like many of u 87 was what got me into tmnt
I always tell people tho if they want to watch what the comics intended watch the 2003 and 2012 series if u want to watch the naked gun version of that go with the original 87 series (im not bashing here i loved the naked gun movies lol)
Nothing beats the action-comedy combined with slapstick humour in the original series. The turtles' sewer hideout, Channel 6 and the Technodrome all have their great dialouges between the main characters, (and background music).

But if you want exciting stories, it's the 2003-2009 version. The turtles will defeat the bad guys at the end, but the antagonists are tougher. It's Mirage-based but still friendly for children- and family.

The 2012 series is a way of creating something new, using elements from all earlier TMNT versions.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:24 PM   #40
pferreira
Foot Elite

The Fred Wolf series is one of my favourite cartoons of all time next to The Real Ghostbusters. I'll always stand by that. It fuelled my imagination growing up and was a great source of ideas. I just think it's a sad we need an appreciation thread for a show that's constantly bashed on a website that was built on the show! I mean if you say you like the FW series and find it as worthy as other iterations you immediately get called a mental patient with limited Internet access or some other BS. I mean WTF?!

Quote:
Show was awesome when I was 6, 7. I remember getting mad when the same old episodes would play when I was anxious for new ones.
Imagine being a BBC viewer back in the early 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
and David Wise's BS interview where he paints himself as the "true" creator of TMNT
I've had problems with David in the past online due to his political views (he's limited Facebook post access as a result) and constant rudeness towards me. While he may embellish stuff about his involvement in the show he's not totally wrong. Before every Mirage fan here goes nuts on me like before I'll quote what you said in another post from another thread to explain why:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
There's always so much talk about how vastly different FW TMNT is from the original Mirage comics.

And, it's true. The 80s show mostly used the comic as loose inspiration rather than attempt a true adaptation. To be fair, the comic had only got to about issue 11 by that point so there wasn't that much Mirage around to adapt yet. They kinda had to come up with their own take on it.
So yeah that answers that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Not really. I don't really see FW series fans come together, I see the series bashed every week I come here. A thread like this is necessary. It's ironic as you say considering it's built on the FW series.

Quote:
The topic of this thread seems... Oddly defensive...
I wonder why neatoman...I wonder why...

Quote:
My excuse is just that I was like 15 when I first tried to watch it, way past the age range to have the flaws fly over my head.
I watched TMNT when I was 7 or 8 and noticed most of the animation flaws as well as the formulaic plots. Who cares when the show is this much fun?

Quote:
Too late! Let's see here:
Cam Clarke, 59
Barry Gordon, 68
Rob Paulsen, 61
Townsend Coleman, 63
Pat Fraley, 68
You might want to add Peter Renaday, he's 82.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote