The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
Vegita-San
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,290
Studio Plants, Myth or Fact?

here's a question...



Do you think Studio Plants exist?

Or are people who actually work for the studios usually just condescending jerks to regular forum members when they newly sign up to a place?

in some of the places i visit, i've found the people with hollywood connections, that ARE proven and known, usually tend to be very confrontational and sometimes insulting toward different viewpoints than theirs, and it usually doesn't take much to set 'em off either.

Other times, users appear only in one thread and don't post elsewhere, and then vanish once that movie or tv show is gone, not really hiding their tracks very well, leaving only a mystery as to why they even bothered.

this is one thing andrew and i tend to agree on (and it feels weird doing so ;o)) .... studio plants, I feel, ARE very real. Although when they arn't nice and supportive and ignoring of stuff they feel that goes against what they are there trying to promote, i sometimes wonder what the studio gets out of it if they cause a disruptive promotion on the forums end?

to me, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, even if the connection to hollywood is only suspected, not proven..and i have no doubt official people just browse forums all the time without folks even knowing too. hello peter and kevin, just in case ;o).

Thoughts, opinions? Deceleration of troll for your hollywood masters? ;o)
I'll take 'em all ;o)
Vegita-San is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 14,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
here's a question...



Do you think Studio Plants exist?

Or are people who actually work for the studios usually just condescending jerks to regular forum members when they newly sign up to a place?

in some of the places i visit, i've found the people with hollywood connections, that ARE proven and known, usually tend to be very confrontational and sometimes insulting toward different viewpoints than theirs, and it usually doesn't take much to set 'em off either.

Other times, users appear only in one thread and don't post elsewhere, and then vanish once that movie or tv show is gone, not really hiding their tracks very well, leaving only a mystery as to why they even bothered.

this is one thing andrew and i tend to agree on (and it feels weird doing so ;o)) .... studio plants, I feel, ARE very real. Although when they arn't nice and supportive and ignoring of stuff they feel that goes against what they are there trying to promote, i sometimes wonder what the studio gets out of it if they cause a disruptive promotion on the forums end?

to me, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, even if the connection to hollywood is only suspected, not proven..and i have no doubt official people just browse forums all the time without folks even knowing too. hello peter and kevin, just in case ;o).

Thoughts, opinions? Deceleration of troll for your hollywood masters? ;o)
I'll take 'em all ;o)
Of course they're real. Paramount even got in trouble for it a while back. Other studios as well.

Now, there's a couple of different kinds of "plants" I've seen on the Drome.

The first and most obvious are the ones you describe... the studio plants. I mean, if you encounter a plant here, you're not talking to a producer, or a writer, or anyone really in the production office. What you're looking at is Paramount paying a 3rd party social media company who specializes in these kind of things, seeds members to boards/Facebook pages/Twitter pages of the thing they're trying to promote to sing its praises, drown out naysayers, and try and convince people on the fence that it's the best thing ever. If they're throwing millions of dollars of their marketing budget around, why wouldn't they? And of course, they vanish as soon as there's no further point in promoting the thing that they are.

The second -- and these aren't quite PLANTS, per se -- are a few higher-ups at Nick and IDW (I even know one really clever one in our ranks from Mirage! no, not Kevin or Peter, though I believe Peter does read from time to time) that are masquerading as normal board members here. Mostly they're just participating as one of us, not up to any secret agenda, probably just not wanting to be spoken to any differently than if they were just a normal fan. Still, they do sometimes break character. There is a couple, however, that are definitely here to primarily try to overly put over the project(s) they're pretty biasedly attached to in some innocuous and some not so innocuous ways.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
Vegita-San
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,290
I just find it odd that out of the ones i know who work for the studios, and the others that are suspected, they all have the same type of condescending 'better than thow' attitude. some even go so far as to try and discredit and confuse you . and all the posts eventually read alike with a VERY positive hollywood tilt.

any links to the paramount stuff?

i'd be interested in that
Vegita-San is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
Katie
Just...way too serious.
 
Katie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: purgatory
Posts: 3,524
Curious....

Would your opinion be that most every "non plant" person share the same opinion about a movie and that's how you spot the "plant"?

I'm trying to find the motivation here. I was accused of being a "plant" because I held a different opinion from the majority. Also, how do you distinguish a new member who comes and joins because of interest in a new movie or show from a "plant"?

Just curious.
__________________
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,304
"Plant" gets overused. It's like calling someone a "liberal" or "conservative."

But if they only show up in 2014 or 2016 and only talked Platinum Dunes TMNT, well... draw your own conclusions.

But it's walking like a duck and quacking like a duck.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia
 
DestronMirage22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,723
Studios will do anything to try to sway peoples opinions in their favor, so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for them to actually have plants.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #7
Vegita-San
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Studios will do anything to try to sway peoples opinions in their favor, so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for them to actually have plants.
especially these d ays when emotions run supreme. easier to change ones opinion just by causing a little confusion, i guess.
Vegita-San is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #8
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,935
Yeah, aside from just generating buzz by getting people to talk about things, I don't really see "plants" as having all that much effect.

I mean....no amount of good buzz is going to make me like a thing if I just don't like it.

Then again, this is a fandom thing we're talking about, where not liking a thing....or worse yet liking a thing, is enough to get a person death threats.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:19 PM   #9
Vegita-San
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,290
It's all in how they interact that gets my curiosity peaked.


there are certain things i look for, mostly signs that are given from other people that I KNOW for a fact work for a studio and all reply in the same combative way. and it's remarkable how they ALL seem to have the same reply mindset of discredit, confuse, and crowd organize against opinions they don't like.

of course, the person could just be a little whacky....

in that case, I look at post count. post history.....how many areas of the forum they visit.

I'm usually not very good at getting confirmations on my theories. so i tend to keep those type of opinions to myself.

but it is interesting to speculate via messaging with more knowledgeable folks ;o).
Vegita-San is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:21 AM   #10
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 2,996
What about samxsteal or whatever his name was. I vaguely remember a user with that name promoting one of the PD films.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:25 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 14,233
Quote:
You also forgot the backwards spelling guy.
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
What about samxsteal or whatever his name was. I vaguely remember a user with that name promoting one of the PD films.
More than likely, but I can't say 100%.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:31 AM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 14,233
Found some others:

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/member.php?u=11817

PLANT!

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/member.php?u=10985

PLANT!

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/member.php?u=11859

PLANT!

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/member.php?u=13286

PLANT!

Interesting fact I'm seeing: most/all of the PLANTS are friends with one another in their profile, as if to blend in better and appear that they know other people... like some kind of plant hivemind or collective. Like, you can click on DioLeo451's profile, look at his Friends, and hop around from friend to friend and it's like a who's who of plants.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #13
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Who?

More than likely, but I can't say 100%.
"Satan is better" spelled backwards. rettab something or other. That dude was wound a little too tight.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 14,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
"Satan is better" spelled backwards. rettab something or other. That dude was wound a little too tight.
Oh, that dude was definitely a plant.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:37 AM   #15
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Oh, that dude was definitely a plant.
He was the first one who came to mind. Dude was plantier than Poison Ivy and Dr Jason Woodrue's lovechild.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #16
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,935
It's true, I am a plant.
But...for an organization too secret to know.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:29 AM   #17
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache
 
TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,927
If samxsteal was a plant then he was the most dogged employee I have ever seen. He was fully committed to convincing us that the PD movies were good.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
IDW took the OT straw and spun it into gold, while Platinum Dunes took the OT straw and spun it into manure.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:51 PM   #18
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 2,996
I predict a massive influx of plants when the toys/concept art of the 2018 show are revealed, followed by an even bigger community of them when the next series of tmnt films are released.

They will all boast about this new "radical" and "cool" era of tmnt trumping everything before it, only to vanish into the shadows when the new show and films will not be very popular.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 05-06-2017 at 10:57 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:08 PM   #19
snake
Noided
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11,696
I doubt it. The only reason plants were needed were because the film already had a bad rep among fans. They were essentially damage control.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:44 PM   #20
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,935
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I predict a massive influx of plants when the toys/concept art of the 2018 show are revealed, followed by an even bigger community of them when the next series of tmnt films are released.

They will all boast about this new "radical" and "cool" era of tmnt trumping everything before it, only to vanish into the shadows when the new show and films will not be very popular.
And? So what?
I guess...I'm just puzzled why this matters.
Let them get their payday and move on.

No amount of someone telling me how awesome something is...is going to change my mind about it. Then again, considering the property, and the demographic they're gunning for, it's hardly my attention they're seeking.

The Drome's got a reputation for gate-keeping, and with the new battle cry of PLANT isn't going to be changing that anytime soon.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
snakeistriggered

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.