The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 05-16-2017, 06:43 PM   #81
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I remember a kid grabbing me by the back of the neck and trying to force feed me a whole pomegranate because another kid and I were talking too much about video games. That kind of thing happened a lot - I can't tell you how many times I got into hot water for drawing Ninja Turtles.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:43 PM   #82
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
I agree with this. Same with gamer. Ick. I'll just say I play games.
Yeah this one too. Despite having a lot in my life that have to do with games, I can't bring myself to call myself one.

It's why I don't feel like fan bases with nicknames feel right, either.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:56 PM   #83
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

I guess I had better luck than some. I doodled turtles all through high school and although I certainly wasn't a cool kid, I think my quirk was somewhat appreciated.

I certainly didn't tell my partner on the first date or something, but when I mentioned the turtles she wasn't that weirded out. She knew what she was getting into as I'm kind of geeky in general. She liked the Turtles as a kid (granted, she was a kid). I ranted philosophically about the Mirage turtles and she seemed to appreciate why I liked them.

I then showed her the 1990 movie again and she found the characters so one-dimensional she told me she didn't quite get it. I told her it was a visceral thing and I couldn't explain. I don't think she would read the comics.

But she doesn't mind, and she will be tolerating four 1/4 scale turtles in our little apartment, so I can't complain.

Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:10 PM   #84
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
It's about not wanting to be labeled at all. Wanting to be called a person, a human being.
Which, in and of itself, is a label...is it not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
That's the thing though. Guys were EXPECTED to like sci-fi things because they were the ones the stuff was aimed at. Girls who liked it were seen as- odd. Even a little "off" because it wasn't "girly" or whatever. And even worse if it was cartoons or comics because not only were they FOR guys they were considered to immature for older kids at all so a girl who was into that stuff was doubly weird- both for being "too old" AND the wrong gender for it! Girls were supposed to like Barbie and My Little Pony if they were little, and maybe Saved By the Bell or something if older(for the relationship stuff). Certainly NOT TMNT or Transformers or Spider-Man!

As a guy, at least YOU would have been the "right" gender to be acceptable to like something like TMNT. We girls- weren't. Acceptable to like it, even by the guys who did, too! No wonder we kept it quiet, if even our fellow fans wouldn't allow us into their ranks!
Preach, on Sister.
Preach on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Yeah this one too. Despite having a lot in my life that have to do with games, I can't bring myself to call myself one.

It's why I don't feel like fan bases with nicknames feel right, either.
Gamer's a loaded term now, thanks to Gatekeepers.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:52 PM   #85
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
;o)...
Legit not trying to troll but why do you use this creepy ass face

Like I'm not mad I'm curious
Old 05-17-2017, 12:53 AM   #86
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Which, in and of itself, is a label...is it not?
No, of course not.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:14 PM   #87
FearlessLeader
Mad Scientist

I've had mixed reactions from boyfriends over the years, some thought it was cool, some didn't care at all and would watch episodes with me to be nice, but I did have one boyfriend that got really jealous of Leonardo. Like threw one of my plushies across the room yelling that I liked Leo more than him. He wasn't wrong because I pretty much dumped him right there for being nuts. Fun times in my 20s

Artwork by Jim Lawson
FearlessLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:11 PM   #88
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
but I did have one boyfriend that got really jealous of Leonardo. Like threw one of my plushies across the room yelling that I liked Leo more than him.
Yeah, that just doesn't fly, insulting Turtle affections like that, that's sacred ground. I'd have ditched his butt too, being jealous over a fictional character. (But I'm willing to play fair; a guy could have his "other woman," too, provided she's also fictional or some celeb he'll never meet.)

For his sake I hope he grew up since then.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:22 PM   #89
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Funny, I would think the person with enough of an emotional attachment to a fictional character to get in the way of a relationship is the one who needs to grow up.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:30 AM   #90
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Preeeety sure for most who are worth being with that isn't even going to be an issue.

If you aren't a priority, well then I guess either it's a bad match or you suck, either way time to move on.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:53 AM   #91
FearlessLeader
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Funny, I would think the person with enough of an emotional attachment to a fictional character to get in the way of a relationship is the one who needs to grow up.
Except it wasn't an emotional attachment to a fictional character that got in the way of the relationship. Him throwing a fit about a character that didn't exist was a sign to me that maybe he wasn't emotionally stable enough to be in a relationship with. We hadn't even been dating for that long and for him to get physically upset over something that uninvolved with the reality of everyday life was frankly kinda off-putting for me.

But hey I've ended up happy and productive in my life so you know whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, that just doesn't fly, insulting Turtle affections like that, that's sacred ground. I'd have ditched his butt too, being jealous over a fictional character. (But I'm willing to play fair; a guy could have his "other woman," too, provided she's also fictional or some celeb he'll never meet.)

I like when people have their "thing" they are passionate it about. Being it a show, a game or even a sports team. I just find that kind of person more interesting and well rounded personally, so I totally get what you're saying.

Artwork by Jim Lawson

Last edited by FearlessLeader; 06-16-2017 at 07:00 AM.
FearlessLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #92
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
I've had mixed reactions from boyfriends over the years, some thought it was cool, some didn't care at all and would watch episodes with me to be nice, but I did have one boyfriend that got really jealous of Leonardo. Like threw one of my plushies across the room yelling that I liked Leo more than him. He wasn't wrong because I pretty much dumped him right there for being nuts. Fun times in my 20s
It's always interesting to see how our investments in these characters can test the emotional durability of the world around us and help to inform our life choices
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:39 AM   #93
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

I'd love to have a partner into TMNT, we'd have so much to talk about and enjoy together.....but it would have to depend on the person.

I'm usually fine with people with different opinions on the shows we both enjoy, but I'm someone who likes Rise, Coming out of their shells and other things aren't really "well-liked" by most fans and I can appreciate the Fred wolf series for it's campyness,art style and cool characters.

it is weird though how like out of all the cartoons with "strange concepts" that people love talking about like Spongebob, Invader Zim, Rick and Morty, Adventure Time and various anime... that TMNT is the one where non-fans or people who outgrew the cartoons will be like
"no that's too ridiculous even for me"

while I've been a long-time fan of TMNT, my love for it did take a backseat in my early to mid-teens when I got into other interests, wasn't until it reemerged in march of last year and then more intensely this year that I got to embrace my love for it again, so when I met my first "ex" we didn't mention tmnt at all, I know my other ex does like tmnt but I don't think we talked about it at the time.
NeonTurtledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:29 PM   #94
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Like with new friends, it's generally a bit of an embarrassment. It always goes about the same way.

"Oh... TMNT. Huh. Really?"

"Yeah, they're cool."

"Yeah, I used to like the cartoon. When I was 5."

"No, no no, not that. I don't like that at all."

And it becomes this big, awkward educating about the Mirage TMNT that never quite feels like I've actually gotten anywhere and possibly just dug myself in an even deeper, geekier hole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Literally every first conversation I've had with ANYONE on the TMNT since grade school. And usually also the last conversation.
Pretty much.

Saying you like TMNT is like saying you like pro wrestling or Sesame Street. People will think you're some sort of man-child. I mean, I guess they're kind of right but yeah people only know the 1987 series and the first 3 movies.

Liking TMNT isn't as socially acceptable as liking Batman or Marvel superheroes. No one takes TMNT seriously, let's face it.

Anyway, since I haven't been a teenager in a long time, liking TMNT or not is a non-factor when it comes to this thread's subject. Once you reach a certain age, no one cares if you watch cartoons, anime or play a lot of video games. No one is trying to come across as more mature than they actually are anymore.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 06:55 PM   #95
Powder
So tired of this place

It has never impeded me romantically. On the contrary, it has either helped, or been an otherwise positive thing that doesn't get in the way. Never once been criticized for it by a chick I was pursuing, or really anyone at all, for the most part. Part of that has to do with the fact I'm not a normie in the first place. I don't really associate with people who aren't completely mentally unhinged or obsessed with something nerdy, honestly. I like toy collectors, artists, musicians, weirdos. They always get it. Even in a toxic environment like the underground hip-hop scene, where people go really hard at trying to appear tough/masculine, everybody's got a comic book or horror movie series or something that they adore.

One chick I dated was only a very casual fan but actually fell for me because of my TMNT obsession. That was pretty cool. When I explained just how much it meant to me & why, that was apparently a green flag for the merit of my character. It showed that I was passionate about something, sought a positive outlet when at my worst, was a kid at heart, etc. Felt really good about that when she told me. We didn't share TMNT together, but it didn't complicate things whatsoever. She'd wear one of her TMNT shirts when we linked up & stuff to be cute.

Another chick I was with wasn't into it whatsoever but still made fan art for me & even bought TMNT undies to show off. That was pretty solid too.

My shorty who I've now been with for almost 4 years grew up watching the 4kids series (we're a few years apart) & has always had a peripheral fondness, though probably wouldn't call themselves a fan, per se. Nonetheless, because we are both major geeks who fixate on childhood favorites (theirs are Sonic/Digimon) we humor each other completely, & take in the various forms of media as a couple. We play Shredders Revenge together, they'll watch episodes or flicks with me on occasion, I excitedly show off new figures & the like. I've been gifted a lot of really incredible TMNT goods, fan art, autographs, & we've even co-developed turtle merch (stickers & prints). Couldn't be happier. It's the best relationship I've ever had, regardless of how TMNT factors into it, though the fact that it does so seamlessly, & fairly heavily, is definitely icing on the cake.

Nobody I've ever been with has laughed at it or anything. It's just one of those things that makes me who I am, & anyone who loves you (or even just wants to hook up) should take you with all parts included. If in the past I had met a girl I really liked but she was dismissive about the turtles, it wouldn't have lasted. But see, unlike a lot of people here, I have self awareness, so I know how to tow the line. As much as I obsess on any given thing, I never force it down other people's throats. One friend of mine quite literally ruined our relationship by ramming Star Wars up my ass all the time, despite the many, many instances I brought it up as being a serious issue.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 10:30 AM   #96
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Interesting. While it's not exactly a dating requirement, everyone I dated (or married) at least have fond memories of the 80s tmnt show. The last one was with me when the 2012 was new so we were equally invested in the new episodes until job schedules made us miss them.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 12:07 PM   #97
Leo656
The Franchise

This might be the saddest thread I've ever seen, other than the one with the guy whining about how he couldn't get dates because he put LARP front-and-center on his dating profile like an absolute genius would.

I don't think being a TMNT fan "should" limit the type of trim you pull in, but realistically, it absolutely will. I promise you that Britney Spears cannot name more than two Ninja Turtles and neither can any girl who looks like her. If that's the kind of girl you want, best to keep the comics and toys in the "man cave". Them's the breaks. If you really don't care, then by all means, drop the "nerd sh*t" on the table upfront and let the chips fall. But most people do care about having a hot partner, even if they say they don't.

I mean, ideally it shouldn't matter, but nobody male or female ever got anyone into bed in the history of this planet by bragging about their massive comic book collection or their shelves full of mint-in-package action figures. The odds of making any sane adult run AWAY from you rather than TO you with that sh*t are exponentially weighted towards the former, no matter what age we live in. I don't care how much money "Endgame" made, chicks still don't get moist when you talk to 'em about Iron Man. Simply does not happen.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 12:22 PM   #98
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I remember a couple "when I was still dating"s ago, I brought this one lady home -- which is not a thing I generally did, at least as quickly -- and it still sticks with me. Everything was great up until the moment she walks into my bedroom, conversation amazing, totally vibing... then she's like looking around at all of the DC and Highlander action figures on my shelves, just floored, aghast. She told me, "Oh wow. I've never met one of you people." And everything was just straight downhill from there. Total disaster, because of that one thing.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 12:26 PM   #99
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I remember a couple "when I was still dating"s ago, I brought this one lady home -- which is not a thing I generally did, at least as quickly -- and it still sticks with me. Everything was great up until the moment she walks into my bedroom, conversation amazing, totally vibing... then she's like looking around at all of the DC and Highlander action figures on my shelves, just floored, aghast. She told me, "Oh wow. I've never met one of you people." And everything was just straight downhill from there. Total disaster, because of that one thing.
I'd be like 'what do you mean YOU people?'

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 12:32 PM   #100
Leo656
The Franchise

She definitely meant "Man who spends his disposable income on Toys and not Cocaine." And/or "sports memorabilia". If you're a guy you can only spend money on booze, blow, Car Stuff or Sports Stuff if you want Hot Girl Pussy. That's the rule.

That's what I don't get, though. A hot chick won't blink at a guy who spends thousands of dollars on dumb sh*t like an autographed jersey or a game ball, she'll still jump in bed with that guy even though that's some Certified Loser Sh*t right there all by itself, let's just be real... but a $150 statue of a comic book character makes you a REAL f*cking loser and they'd rather f*ck a leper whose dick is literally half hanging off. "At least he doesn't know Green Lantern's secret identity! lol dorks."

But I mean, whether I like it or not that is indeed how the game is played.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote