The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 05-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #161
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecto Jedi View Post
GUYS, GUYS, GUYS --

Spoiler:

Finally arrived in the mail. Been kicking my ass for about an hour and a half now.
nice man! very cool

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #162
LeoNerdo
Stone Warrior

Lot of cool stuff in this thread. I want to get a Genesis at some point this year. We were a Nintendo family when I was a kid so never had any of the Sega systems. We didn't have a ton of games either but the cool thing about the games I do have from when I was a kid is that I saved all the boxes, manuals & inserts from all of my SNES/GB/N64 games. One of these days I'll be able to display some of that stuff.

I met a lady coming out of a pawn shop several years ago with a box full of SNES games. The shop wouldn't buy them because they were 'too old'. So I grabbed a bunch of stuff from her; copies of Mario World, LttP, TMNT IV, DKC 2 and a bunch of other ones for like $2.00 each. I've been kicking myself ever since for not just offering her $30 or something for the whole box.
LeoNerdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #163
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by XERO View Post
I used to play that a lot back in the day. I was always the Dragons, though. Haha.
The Dragons can jump and attack -- otherwise, they play pretty similar to the 'Toads, except they don't have a running attack for when an enemy's down like the Big Bad Boot.

Personal preference, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNerdo
Lot of cool stuff in this thread. I want to get a Genesis at some point this year. We were a Nintendo family when I was a kid so never had any of the Sega systems. We didn't have a ton of games either but the cool thing about the games I do have from when I was a kid is that I saved all the boxes, manuals & inserts from all of my SNES/GB/N64 games. One of these days I'll be able to display some of that stuff.
You're in the minority on that score. Most people dumped their Nintendo boxes because they got frayed and withered with time, if they weren't tossed in the trash outright upon purchase. SEGA was ahead of the curve in that department -- their plastic packaging served as nice game cases and are much more common nowadays as a result.

Also, in today's market you'll find Genesis games for cheaper than you will their SNES counterparts. I dunno what that says about the perceived quality of non-SEGA Genesis ware.
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #164
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
GUYS, GUYS, GUYS --
Spoiler:

Finally arrived in the mail. Been kicking my ass for about an hour and a half now.
Nice! How's it sitting with you so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister
Hey Peanut, I've never actually played the Wai Wai World games. Lemme know what you think of your recent score, eh?
They're really cool games. Wai Wai World 2 is easily the better of the two, even if it's a little less interesting design wise. WaiWai1 is less straight forward and the levels require exploration, whereas WaiWai2 is straight ahead, get through enemies/obstacles and fight the boss at the end of the level platformer. The first game has a lot of very basic issues like poor hit detection coupled with some awful design decisions, like having to grind for currency to revive dead allies, even after a game over. I think they're both incredibly neat and unique, but the second game is leagues ahead of the first in terms of playability. I'm having a lot of fun with it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNerdo
I met a lady coming out of a pawn shop several years ago with a box full of SNES games. The shop wouldn't buy them because they were 'too old'. So I grabbed a bunch of stuff from her; copies of Mario World, LttP, TMNT IV, DKC 2 and a bunch of other ones for like $2.00 each. I've been kicking myself ever since for not just offering her $30 or something for the whole box.
Sucks, man. I'm sure we've all got stories about stuff we really really regret doing when it comes to old games and missed opportunities. Thinking about the amount of games I traded/gave to people/passed on at discount prices over the years kills me. Throwing away all my old SNES/N64 boxes in high school, tossing my Nintendo Power magazines, the list goes on and is incredibly painful.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #165
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:

You're in the minority on that score. Most people dumped their Nintendo boxes because they got frayed and withered with time, if they weren't tossed in the trash outright upon purchase. SEGA was ahead of the curve in that department -- their plastic packaging served as nice game cases and are much more common nowadays as a result.

Also, in today's market you'll find Genesis games for cheaper than you will their SNES counterparts. I dunno what that says about the perceived quality of non-SEGA Genesis ware.
I kept just about all of my NES boxes, although I usually stored them separately for preservation and put the game carts into plastic cases. Even as a kid, I just couldn't imagine why anybody would willingly throw away their game boxes, considering how awesome the box art could be and how it was the best place to store the manual and other flyers that came with the purchase.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #166
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I kept just about all of my NES boxes, although I usually stored them separately for preservation and put the game carts into plastic cases. Even as a kid, I just couldn't imagine why anybody would willingly throw away their game boxes, considering how awesome the box art could be and how it was the best place to store the manual and other flyers that came with the purchase.
Blame my mother.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #167
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
You don't have a ton of choice when you're a 5 years old.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #168
LeoNerdo
Stone Warrior

Yeah most of my box saving was because of my older brother. He was really anal about keeping everything mint and when the SNES became 'mine' as opposed to 'ours' all of that stuff came along with it. And I kept up that habit with pretty much everything game related since.
LeoNerdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #169
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Nice! How's it sitting with you so far?
Man, I am such an admirer of old-school Rare and the Battletoads series. It's amazing how polished and playable this thing is. The hover bike portion is nowhere near as long or as difficult -- or as memorable -- as in the original, but the Asteroids-inspired "pod" sequence makes up for that.

Seriously! Asteroids, in the middle of a beat-'em-up. How can anyone not love this goddamn game?
Old 05-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #170
Peanut
Second Gear

Stop. You're making me even more depressed at the state of Rare.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #171
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Ha. Sorry.

I know virtually nothing of Rare's current state of affairs, only that they're now owned by Microsoft. Or, at least, they were last I heard.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #172
Peanut
Second Gear

They made an final incredible series with Viva PiƱata, then got turned into a Kinect shovelware sweat shop.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #173
Peanut
Second Gear

Double post for a huge haul! Thanks to my buddy Cure for the GRIP of SNES games!!!! Top one is Moai-Kun, another weird, Japan-only Famicom game from Konami. Won it crazy cheap, which is odd considering I rarely ever see it up for auction.

Spoiler:
Old 05-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #174
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

You're welcooooooooome.

EDIT: Wait, I just noticed. Why do some SNES games have "legs" (DKC3) and some don't (F-Zero)?

Last edited by Cure; 05-30-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #175
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
You're welcooooooooome.

EDIT: Wait, I just noticed. Why do some SNES games have "legs" (DKC3) and some don't (F-Zero)?
I've been wondering about the two different cartridge styles, too. Also: f*ckin' jealous of that SNES haul, Peanut. F-Zero and TMNT: Tournament Fighters are on my buy-if-I-can-find-'em-cheap list.

F-Zero doesn't command the prices I would expect it to, considering its pedigree. Isn't it considered a classic?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #176
Peanut
Second Gear

The cart differences depend on when they were made. The design changed from the fuller version to the scoop version sometime during 93' I think. I've heard they changed it because stupid kids wouldn't use the eject button and instead ripped the carts out of the system. The fuller version of the carts would cause them trouble and sometimes bust the clip off the eject button. No idea if that's the actual reason for the redesign, but it makes sense.

And F-Zero actually isn't a game in high demand, despite its quality. Like most "big" Nintendo games it had a lengthy print run, so there are a ton of copies, but unlike Zelda or Metroid, the demand isn't the same. It's more comparable to stuff like Super Punch-Out and Star Fox than any of the "big name" SNES classics.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #177
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:
Double post for a huge haul! Thanks to my buddy Cure for the GRIP of SNES games!!!! Top one is Moai-Kun, another weird, Japan-only Famicom game from Konami. Won it crazy cheap, which is odd considering I rarely ever see it up for auction.

Spoiler:
Nice additions

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #178
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
The cart differences depend on when they were made. The design changed from the fuller version to the scoop version sometime during 93' I think. I've heard they changed it because stupid kids wouldn't use the eject button and instead ripped the carts out of the system. The fuller version of the carts would cause them trouble and sometimes bust the clip off the eject button. No idea if that's the actual reason for the redesign, but it makes sense.
That seems to be the case. How interesting. I just figured it was a developer/publisher thing.

In SNES models released after the changeover they also did away with the Eject button's "clip" -- no more locking mechanism at all. Mine doesn't have any. Just the two bottom rods that pop the cartridge out.

Add another tidbit to my ever-expanding pile of useless facts about trivial things, boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut
It's more comparable to stuff like Super Punch-Out and Star Fox than any of the "big name" SNES classics.
That reminds me. I need to track down those two.

Last edited by Ecto Jedi; 05-31-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #179
Peanut
Second Gear

I've got a spare copy of Star Fox you can have. Picked it up at a garage sale with a pile of other stuff for a few bucks. Just drop me your address in a PM and I'll send it to you.

I don't need it, as I've got a boxed copy of the Super Famicom version.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #180
Ninjinister
無問題

Just curious about how to proceed in the future, is this exclusively "retro" games collection discussion, or just mostly? And if the former, what's the cutoff? Just systems that are no longer in active production?

Tags
classics, nostalgia, peanut, video games