The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-25-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

So was there a TMNT Day today or what?

So was this a thing at any of your local comic shops?

https://previewsworld.com/Article/20...cal-Comic-Shop

My shop had absolutely no idea about any of this. Said they hadn't received any promotional notices about the event, much less a request to order the IDW TMNT sampler comic. They were 100% clueless about this thing today, and hell, I didn't even learn it was going down until late last week when someone mentioned it offhandedly on Facebook.

Was it just my shop that was completely unaware?

Last edited by DrSpengler; 10-25-2017 at 01:35 PM.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #2
funatic
Mad Scientist

It was definetly happening at my two local shops... but I live near northampton and Eastman’s sister personally told each store about it so... I can’t blame other places for not knowing. Didn’t seem overly advertised by IDW.

I wound up with 3 free Team Eastman variants and a free “print” (which was an 11x17 scan of a first printing #1 Kevin signed) for being first through the door. Also some great discounts on rare books and figures, plus the IDW sampler which I havnt even opened yet (too distracted reading #75). One shop had an original cover layout by Eastman for the usagi crossover they were selling for $500. I’ll try to post a pic later when I get home from work.
funatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

Asked about it last week and my shop was unaware too and is pretty good about keeping their eye out on TMNT related things for me and hadn't seen anything about it.
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I think I saw something about this on social media a while back but I haven't been down to my LCS today, so we'll see. I had forgotten the TMNT thing was a separate day from "Halloween Comic Fest" this Saturday.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Nothing that I’ve heard about in the Pacific Northwest. And there’s a couple stores around my area, one pretty big. Leading up to the day nothing on social media either. Did IDW have anything online ahead of time hyping the day? I would have expected LCBS to have posts online all of last week. I try to be optimistic but seems like the marketing ball has been dropped.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #6
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Also, what was the occasion for this to be TMNT Day, exactly? Was it just to celebrate the 75th issue of the IDW comic or was there some more substantial anniversary that I'm overlooking?
Old 10-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Also, what was the occasion for this to be TMNT Day, exactly? Was it just to celebrate the 75th issue of the IDW comic or was there some more substantial anniversary that I'm overlooking?
My guess is it was close to that—a last minute bit of marketing they forgot market. Celebrate the 75th issue and throw out a free sample to catch other peeps up.

EDIT: Here's the Eastman Usagi/TMNT original layout I saw at my LCS:

& here was my TMNT Day haul... I knew I stuck around this area for 10 years after college for a reason.

[sorry bout the sideways pix, this file uploader insists.]

Last edited by funatic; 10-25-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:57 PM   #8
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Yeah my shop did not know about it before I told them last week and did nothing to promote it today like they do the other big books that come out each week.
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #9
bushido
Stone Warrior

Now available on download: http://www.idwpublishing.com/tmnt-day-2017/
Old 10-25-2017, 06:37 PM   #10
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

@Funatic

Nice haul, man. Still trying to find one of those Solson Leo books, myself. Last one of those I need (I know I could use eBay, but that's no fun).

@Bushido

Thanks for the link! Now I have to hastily update my non-review into an actual review and hope nobody notices.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:10 PM   #11
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
@Funatic Nice haul, man. Still trying to find one of those Solson Leo books, myself. Last one of those I need (I know I could use eBay, but that's no fun).
Thanks, yeah I'm playing the same long game (digging thru long boxes...) on those. Very rare and pricey online. I've got Raph & Mikey left. Eye'll keep an I out for Leo if I seeo.

I just read the Sampler. Was all that art really re-used? Some of the penultimate page in particular seemed new maybe? I don't remember Pepperoni staring longingly at the portal or the purple dude dying in front of Zenter and Mikey (was that supposed to be Gorath?). Tho maybe my memory is donked from reading an INSANE amount of TMNT in 2017. Not complaining, just insaning.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:16 PM   #12
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
Thanks, yeah I'm playing the same long game (digging thru long boxes...) on those. Very rare and pricey online. I've got Raph & Mikey left. Eye'll keep an I out for Leo if I seeo.
Thanks! if you see a Solson Leo for a good price, you know where to find me!

Quote:
I just read the Sampler. Was all that art really re-used? Some of the penultimate page in particular seemed new maybe? I don't remember Pepperoni staring longingly at the portal or the purple dude dying in front of Zenter and Mikey (was that supposed to be Gorath?). Tho maybe my memory is donked from reading an INSANE amount of TMNT in 2017. Not complaining, just insaning.
I went back and checked and those panels were in #73. The Pepperoni one is a small panel at the bottom of a page, though; easy to forget. The prosecution attorney getting assassinated was a top panel, though.

But I hear you, man. The sampler collects 6 years-worth of selected artwork from over a hundred different issues. Easy to forget some of the panels.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:14 AM   #13
Nortock Diab
Hench Mutant

Funatic, what exactly is the #1-like book on the bottom right of your picture?
Do you have other pics of it?
Nortock Diab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:25 PM   #14
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortock Diab View Post
Funatic, what exactly is the #1-like book on the bottom right of your picture?
Do you have other pics of it?
Oh that’s actually a print. I think Team Eastman literally scanned a first issue cover, printed it on 11x17 and gave them to these stores as bonus freebies. Kind of funny but a cool keepsake.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:24 PM   #15
Time Mistress
Stone Warrior

My LCS had the free sampler. The reading guide at the back is very helpful. I've dabbled in the series (Vol 1, Secrets of the Foot Clan). Want to read the whole thing at some point. If only IDW didn't put out three Transformers books plus crossovers and miniseries, my wallet is already stretched to the limit. I may just use my library to catch up when I get a chance.

"You just made your last mistake, Bugeyes -- 'cuz nobody beats up my best buddy and gets away with it -- Nobody! Got that?!"
Raphael about Michaelangelo, TMNT Volume 1
Time Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:58 PM   #16
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Neither of the shops I frequent had the sampler.
So, I’m glad they made it available online.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:27 AM   #17
Ninjinister
無問題

At last search, I could not find any copies of the sampler available for sale online (I know of the free PDF and have read it, but I would like a copy of my own).
Old 10-28-2017, 04:34 AM   #18
SS Kakarot
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
At last search, I could not find any copies of the sampler available for sale online (I know of the free PDF and have read it, but I would like a copy of my own).
I would also not mind a copy of the sampler.
Will have to keep an eye on eBay I guess.
SS Kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote