The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
cqb101
Cinephile

Red Sonja

Quote:
Robert Rodriguez (Grindhouse, Sin City) will produce a new big-screen adventure featuring the flame-haired comic-book vixen, Red Sonja. While Brigitte Nielsen wielded Sonja's sword in the poorly received 1985 version, Rodriguez's real-life girlfriend, Rose McGowan (Grindhouse), will wiggle into the metal mesh bikini in the 2010 release.

"I was surprised when Rose brought me a script of Red Sonja that she liked," Rodriguez told USA Today from his home base of Austin, where he is shooting "Shorts," a family film with James Spader and Jon Cryer. "I found it very entertaining. Sonja was strong, smart, cunning — just about everything she'd have to be to survive."

"When they first came to me with it, I thought it was funny," said McGowan. "I do have a body made for sitting on a veranda with mint juleps and a parasol. I don't know why I always have to save the planet."

Rodriguez considers her a perfect fit as the mighty, and mighty voluptuous, avenger. "Rose is a pistol. She's whip-smart, has attitude to burn, is sexy, extremely strong, yet has a vulnerable side that would surprise her closest friends. That description also fits Red Sonja."

Not that his star isn't committed to the whole barbarian babe concept, including the crimson locks. "I do have a very scrappy-do personality," says McGowan, who will undergo intense training before filming starts in October. "I lean toward physicality. The story has characters trashed by life who fight their way back. That is my theme."

McGowan and Rodriguez have not seen Nielsen in the original, and they have no plans to catch up. As the actress explains, "Why put that in my head?"

Instead, the origin story, to be directed by longtime Rodriguez associate Douglas Aarniokoski (assistant director on many Rodriguez's films), will take its cues from the comic books as well as works by pulp novelist Robert E. Howard, father of the original Sonja (then spelled Sonya) and Conan the Barbarian (also undergoing a movie revival).

"Howard's goal was always, first and foremost, to spin a good yarn and to entertain," says Rodriguez, who is hoping his Red Sonja turns into a franchise. "That's our goal."
http://www.worstpreviews.com/headlin...d=9173&count=0

Rose McGowan as Red Sonja? Seriously? I'm sure a Rodriguez produced Red Sonja movie would kick ass, but I really dislike that casting.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Yeah I don't see her in that roll at all...
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
Warhorse
Emperor

Another @#$%^&*( remake. You'd think the mass movie going people would be sick of the remakes. And I can't see a remake out doing the original, when you had Arnold Schwartzenegger in it, as well as Ernies Reyes Jr (Keno from TMNT 2)
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
cqb101
Cinephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
Another @#$%^&*( remake. You'd think the mass movie going people would be sick of the remakes. And I can't see a remake out doing the original, when you had Arnold Schwartzenegger in it, as well as Ernies Reyes Jr (Keno from TMNT 2)

Don't like it, don't watch. The original will always be the original. Plus, remakes have been extremely profitable, and this will probably be as well, considering about 90% of the people seeing this movie, probably won;t have even heard of the original, much less scene it.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #5
Jelly Bean
Stone Warrior

McGowan doesn't seem like she fits the physical type to play Red Sonja.
it's pretty stupid that any company that specializes in serving up hot meat - specifically "Hot C*ck Meat" (Chickens? "C*cks"? Get it?) - in between a set of warm buns would have an anti-gay agenda. The irony is palpable.
-Leo656

--------

Jelly Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:01 AM   #6
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Quote:
Okay, I am a big fan of the original movie but I have to say (And admit) that in all honesty, it pretty much sucked. I'm all for them doing a new movie, especially if it feels more like the comic.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
CudleyCowlick
Stone Warrior

Rose is a huge mistake. She's good lookin' and all, but not the right body type and I just can't see her swingin' a sword and doin' the fantasy barbarian thing.

I agree with GK too, the first movie is great, but you have to watch it tongue and cheek. It's what I like to call goofy-great.

But... I'll probably watch it on DVD no matter what because I've got too much time on my hands and I'm a sucker for any comic book movie, if only so I can bash it after.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

hm, am I the only one who liked the orginal Red Sonja movie?

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:46 AM   #9
CudleyCowlick
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Ninja View Post
I liked it, I just admit that it's not exactly a masterpiece of cinema. It's a fun movie, not a great one.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Ninja View Post
No, I loved it, and find it condescending that they want to make a remake. Why doesn't the director get creative and create someone completely new. There are more than enough ideas of women in medievel times portraying the heroin in the stories. Xena was one. Time to make up a new one instead of ripping off stuff that had already been done.

Wonder if they are gonna release a re-make of Willow next
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #11
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

"Ripping off?" So when they made Batman in 1989 I guess that was a rip off of the 60s movie then right? You know since That was also based on a comic book.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #12
cqb101
Cinephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
"Ripping off?" So when they made Batman in 1989 I guess that was a rip off of the 60s movie then right? You know since That was also based on a comic book.
Don't even bother, people will never listen.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:48 AM   #13
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man

Rose McGowan, hm? I guess that's the best they could do, considering women like Bridgette Nielson are hard to find nowadays.

Quote:
Wonder if they are gonna release a re-make of Willow next
I'd like to see that. It's been too long since Hollywood's put a bunch of midgets together in one place.

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #14
NameGoesHere1066
Stone Warrior

Rose McGowan is too pale and skinny to pull off Red Sonja.

What I'm wondering is when they are going to do a Live Action comics movie on Lady Death!
Old 07-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #15
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

I doubt they will ever make a Lady Death LA movie.

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #16
Storm Wolf
The Thread Killer

Quote:
I'm sure a Rodriguez produced Red Sonja movie would kick ass
Ditto.

I'm going to agree with the rest of the posters here.

Rose McGowen? No No and NO! She far to femme to be a female barbarian. Unless she plans on bulking up quite a bit I suggest he change his mind and look elsewhere.

I'm sure he could find another girl to take the role. Though I can think of none off the top of my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwamu The Kappa View Post
Voting: pick which lies you think sounds best.
Storm Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #17
Spitfire
Writer • Director

She played a chick with a machine gun leg she can handle a barbarian.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #18
Jelly Bean
Stone Warrior

Rose just comes off as too prissy to me.
it's pretty stupid that any company that specializes in serving up hot meat - specifically "Hot C*ck Meat" (Chickens? "C*cks"? Get it?) - in between a set of warm buns would have an anti-gay agenda. The irony is palpable.
-Leo656

--------

Jelly Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:02 AM   #19
cqb101
Cinephile

Thanks to comic-con, we have a couple posters for the film as well as some more info...

Quote:
Here's some tidbits:

--Director will be Douglas Aarniokoski. He was at the panel with Rodiriguez and McGowan.

--Rodriguez said he will be heavily involved in the production; even shooting some scenes. He took a Producer credit to avoid problems he had like with Sin City and the D.G.A.

--They said this will be an origin story inspired by the old and new comics and having little to do with the original film.

--They focused on this being "a tale of vengeance"

--Rodriguez wouldn't name the villain(s) at this point. And, other than McGowan no casting decisions have been made.

--Rodriguez mentioned wanting to do a Conan companion piece in the same mood and visual style as this Red Sonja.

--McGowan said she is about to begin training with the sword choreographer who worked on the Matrix films and one of the top free running/parkour people in the world. Sorry, didn't catch their names (though the sword guy is not Woo-ping Yuen). I inferred that they are hoping for a kinetic fighting style that moves dynamically over the environment.
I take back what I said. I really like how Rose looks as Red Sonja (so far).

Last edited by cqb101; 07-25-2008 at 01:09 AM.
cqb101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 03:40 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

First image of the new Red Sonja:

https://www.darkhorizons.com/first-p...new-red-sonja/
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote