The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-16-2020, 02:12 AM   #101
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Is that sexual harassment or just creepy?
I'd say both.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:31 AM   #102
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Is that sexual harassment or just creepy?
It’s creexual pyrassment
Old 12-16-2020, 07:39 AM   #103
srmff
Foot Soldier

He seems to be really underestimate the number of women that like TMNT. Sorry but TMNT and the Technodrome isn't a men only zone.
srmff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:21 AM   #104
CyberCubed
Overlord

Can we get back on topic instead of talking about banned users?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:25 AM   #105
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Can we get back on topic instead of talking about banned users?
Yes, please.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:43 AM   #106
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the TMNT 2007 movie basically a "next chapter" of Turtles? It didn't connect to a specific universe, but it was made clear that the turtles had shredded the Shredder, toppled tricertons, mixed it up with some mousers, and the whole Casey/April relationship was far enough along to make me think this was well into the turtle's lives, without having to be tied to a specific "turtlesverse". Maybe that's what this new toon will do?
Old 12-16-2020, 12:05 PM   #107
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the TMNT 2007 movie basically a "next chapter" of Turtles? It didn't connect to a specific universe, but it was made clear that the turtles had shredded the Shredder, toppled tricertons, mixed it up with some mousers, and the whole Casey/April relationship was far enough along to make me think this was well into the turtle's lives, without having to be tied to a specific "turtlesverse". Maybe that's what this new toon will do?
My spouse made that exact observation. He thinks it will be a 'Next Chapter' in the way TMNT 2007 was.

Though people did not really warm up to that approach. I still remember most of the reviews being people complaining there was no Shredder, Kraang, Bebop, Rocksteady, etc.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:19 PM   #108
CyberCubed
Overlord

Which is why it does feel like this title implies a continuation of a past continuity, but as I said before, nothing really make sense for Nick to revisit in a TV series other than possibly the 2012 cartoon. I wonder if it's because after Rise didn't catch on with kids, the toys bombed, and the show got canceled after a season and a half (remember the second season even had its episode order reduced to 13 eps instead of 26), it "scared" Nick into realizing they can't take risks on the property. Since they already know the 2012 series was very successful, it's a "safe" bet if they want to revive it.

Only other possibility is some kind of revival for the original cartoon, but that's too much a stretch for me. While all the voice actors are available I can't see them making a whole series, and Nick seems to want to create their own incarnations of the Turtles.

Also Nick is batting 2 for 4 so far. Out of the new incarnations since the Viacom sale, only two were success and two were not:

IDW and Nick 2012 series = success, IDW is still going

Platinum Dunes Movies and Rise = failed, the movies bombed and were canceled in favor of a new reboot, and Rise of course ended early.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #109
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
IDW and Nick 2012 series = success, IDW is still going
Nick doesn't have anything to do with the IDW series being good, so I wouldn't give them that credit. They gave someone permission to make comics and we are damn lucky the right people got involved.

I can handle Rise being meh, but I can't forgive Nick at all for how terrible those movies were.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:53 PM   #110
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Quote:
it "scared" Nick into realizing they can't take risks on the property.
Which is a sad thing, really. I mean, do we really want reboots of the same thing every few years? Eventually we're going to have to get comfortable with the idea of something new or this thing is going to get stale quickly.

Having said that, I'm not sure that I think "Rise" was the best route to go. I'd rather see stories push the characters to new heights as opposed to just tweaking characters and making arbitrary changes for change's sake.

That's part of what made TMNT 2k7 so much fun for me. I know it wasn't the most widely enjoyed film, but I thought it was neat to see how the turtles had "moved on" from their childhood, but how they could still be "brought back together" when the situation called for it.

It reminds me of when I, as an adult, go home for Thanksgiving or something. On the one hand, I'm adult with children of my own now and I play a very different role in my family. On the other hand, it's funny how quickly I slide back into the role I played when I was growing up.

At the end of the day, I suppose what's most important for me about the turtles is that they work together, they're brothers, etc. And "Rise" didn't change that aspect. So, I suppose I should recognize that. Not that I'm a "Rise" hater, but it's far from my favorite.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:56 PM   #111
Vegita-San
Emperor

and there in lies the problem.

Franchises can only really be one thing...and a few variations of one thing, before they become totally un recognizable.

Star Trek Enterprise may have been the last true real variation. after that, all we get are the picards, and discoveries, and lower deck variants.

TMNT has reached this point. if you go all the way out there, you get the TMNT summer shorts. some good, some horrible. some can't even be called TMNT. But the good will always have some of the core elements in there.
and that is where the repeats come in....and the core of the problem.

you can only reboot something so much before even the reboot is the same old thing.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:58 PM   #112
AquaParade
Banned

Man, I wish I could be a valued consultant for TMNT over at Nickelodeon. Not saying I'm qualified as anything more than a (smart) fan, but it'd be fun. It must be so strange for Kevin Eastman to wander into those halls and give his advice on what TMNT should be. Not that I'd throw a pity party for him, by any means, but it must be weird.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:44 PM   #113
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
Which is a sad thing, really. I mean, do we really want reboots of the same thing every few years? Eventually we're going to have to get comfortable with the idea of something new or this thing is going to get stale quickly.
Having said that, by the law of averages, with multiple different incarnations of varying quality, surely something good can come out of that, although it might take a loooooonnnnnnggggggg time
Old 12-16-2020, 01:49 PM   #114
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Yeah, your thought reminds me of the infinite universes theory. Where infinite reboots exist, one of them is bound to be good, right?
Old 12-16-2020, 02:27 PM   #115
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmff View Post
He seems to be really underestimate the number of women that like TMNT. Sorry but TMNT and the Technodrome isn't a men only zone.
There are probably way more female fans of TMNT than male. There always has been.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:29 PM   #116
Leo656
The Franchise

Naaaaaaah. Really? I have a hard time believing that. Quite a few, sure, but more than the guys? Huh. I'unno about that one.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:53 PM   #117
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
There are probably way more female fans of TMNT than male. There always has been.
Eh...

As a female fan myself, I've seen way more guys into it than girls.

Most of the female fans I knew back when I was in my TMNT fandom peak in the mid-2000s, were into the 2003 cartoon, knew nothing of the comics or any of the other shows or movies, and mostly liked the romance aspects like various ships. I never really knew any other girls who were as deep into the franchise as I was.

Not sure if things changed with 2012's fandom. I only dabbled in it very briefly.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #118
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Naaaaaaah. Really? I have a hard time believing that. Quite a few, sure, but more than the guys? Huh. I'unno about that one.
It depends on what circles you interact with. My experience among the comic book and toy collectors, as in people who are active within groups that focus on these things, is that they are heavily, HEAVILY male dominated.

However, on the broader scope of people who just enjoy the adventures of these characters, definitely at least 50/50 male/female, with a probable slight lean toward female.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:02 PM   #119
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Are the girls/women buying merch and licensed material , if not they don't matter.

Edit:in the context of a show being made for them

Last edited by sdp; 12-16-2020 at 03:09 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:06 PM   #120
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
Most of the female fans I knew back when I was in my TMNT fandom peak in the mid-2000s, were into the 2003 cartoon, knew nothing of the comics or any of the other shows or movies, and mostly liked the romance aspects like various ships.
Anecdotal, but that was mostly my experience as well. With the 4Kids show also getting a lot of female attention because "The Turtles are hot now!" and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
It depends on what circles you interact with. My experience among the comic book and toy collectors, as in people who are active within groups that focus on these things, is that they are heavily, HEAVILY male dominated.

However, on the broader scope of people who just enjoy the adventures of these characters, definitely at least 50/50 male/female, with a probable slight lean toward female.
I guess that makes sense, or at least that it'd be "kinda even". I mean I've always been aware that it's had a large female fanbase - for various reasons - but the idea that the girls outnumber the guys seems suspect to me.

I mean, I'm definitely of an older mindset, but every single thing about TMNT is generally rooted in things that appeal to little boys more than anyone else. So while I can definitely believe there's a lot of female fans, the idea of there being a lot more than guys just feels "off" to me.

It's like a lot of girls like wrestling, too. And I'm always like "Why? You're supposed to be smarter than that!" But a lot of them do. More than guys? Probably not, but I'unno. If so, that'd be weird, to me. It definitely wasn't "made for them", just like TMNT wasn't "made for them". So it's kinda weird that so many of them like those things.

Of course, I'm a grown man who just watched two hours of My Little Pony on Discovery Family so I guess I really shouldn't be surprised by anything at all.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote