The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 05-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #1
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

An idw adaptation istead?

With all of the talk about how awful these movies are turning out, for my own curiosity, I need to ask a question that has already been posed; instead of the Bay mess we got, what if we had gotten a series of movies based on the IDW comics? An opening movie with Baxter, old Hob and general Krang, and a second movie that delves into their past lives with the Foot and Shredder?

Certain things would have to be shuffled around for the adaptation, but would a condensed version of the IDW comics have been a good take on the Turtles instead of... ugh... what we got!

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Well, The movie borrows from the IDW comic, April being the one naming the Turtles, and they being her pets.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

I would have liked it if they made a straight up adaptation of the IDW comics, hell I have even said I would be behind a cancellation of the current cartoon if they adapted the IDW comics.

There are some problems for the general audience though and I don't think the studio would want to take those risks:
  1. The reincarnation (as well a number of other deviations) might turn casual fans off and it might not jive well with a bias against that concept.
  2. It would be rather slow of a movie series, I mean how long would it take them to reach the Technodrome?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
bushido
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Well, The movie borrows from the IDW comic, April being the one naming the Turtles, and they being her pets.
A coincidence for me. They probably have never opened the IDW comic. They don't care about the comics. They took random elements mostly from the original cartoon like Vern, add new elements in order "to modernize" the universe and they format it as a super hero movie because Marvel movies are succesful.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Didn't they interview the director, and he said they focused on the older fans, because today's kids didn't have a frame of reference for the turtles? That whole crew seemed pretty clueless about current TMNT. The 80s toon seems to be the only thing they really drew any influence from.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:12 PM   #6
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

thing is if you watch interviews from the first movie these "creators" clearly know nothing aside from a few episodes they watched 25 years ago on some random Saturday

https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
Didn't they interview the director, and he said they focused on the older fans, because today's kids didn't have a frame of reference for the turtles? That whole crew seemed pretty clueless about current TMNT. The 80s toon seems to be the only thing they really drew any influence from.
Wrong. They took from IDW too.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
Allio
Foot Elite

IDW would need a tv show, not a smovie. maybe something like Flash
Old 05-14-2015, 05:59 PM   #9
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
No she didn't. They got their names because they were part of "Project Renaissance" and they weren't really her pets she just happened to be the daughter of the scientist doing the experiments.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:07 PM   #10
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

The werent her Pets in IDW either

https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #11
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Wrong. They took from IDW too.
How so? I've argued that, myself, but decided I was reaching.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #12
Galactus
Foot Elite

To be fair in the i09 interview they were aware of the IDW series origin as Liebesman cited it as something he'd seen when they looked though turtles stuff specifically to look for small things they could put in as easter eggs.

Of course in the context of the interview it was after the basic script had been locked down so it's doubtful the lab origin was based on IDW. There's been several similar pitches over the years by various media companies with suggested origins along those line I'm inclined to believe it's a coincidence.

Also another interview with Screenrant one of the producers claimed that the idea that April named them comes from the original Eastman and Laird comics so you can see how deep they delved into that. A few other interviews Liebesman claimed his research was basically looked at still images online - make of that what you will.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #13
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
To be fair in the i09 interview they were aware of the IDW series origin as Liebesman cited it as something he'd seen when they looked though turtles stuff specifically to look for small things they could put in as easter eggs.

Of course in the context of the interview it was after the basic script had been locked down so it's doubtful the lab origin was based on IDW. There's been several similar pitches over the years by various media companies with suggested origins along those line I'm inclined to believe it's a coincidence.

Also another interview with Screenrant one of the producers claimed that the idea that April named them comes from the original Eastman and Laird comics so you can see how deep they delved into that. A few other interviews Liebesman claimed his research was basically looked at still images online - make of that what you will.
F*cking hacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #14
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Anything would be better then what we ended up with.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:21 PM   #15
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I kinda think the whole reincarnation angle would also bring lots of negative backlash. This would be as bad as them making a New Mutation movie.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:13 AM   #16
HeroTurtlesFan
Hench Mutant

I love the IDW comics, but don't agree they'd make particularly good television. The concessions and changes you'd need to suitably adapt them would dilute a lot of the things I like about them in the first place.
HeroTurtlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:29 AM   #17
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist

I think the best that I could hope for IDW TMNT in film would be a one-shot animated movie like 2007. Specifically, an anime-style ova would fit the themes of the main story really well. Everything that happens before the start of the neutrino stuff I think could fit into one.
PangolinFeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #18
chrisdude
Foot Elite

This may very well happen ten or fifteen years down the road. Lots of comic book movies draw from 20 year old comics.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:20 AM   #19
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

I don't mean taking stuff from the IDW books, I meant literally adapting them. Change a few plot details around about order and sequence of events, use the lab experiment angle in conjunction with an accident like IDW did, and you have a trilogy of films based on the first Idw arc, complete with reincarnation.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 05-21-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:52 PM   #20
Kite
Random Punk

They wuldn't do that because in the Bayverse they're adults, and in IDW they're still just teenagers.

Tags
idw