Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #61
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Is it aimed at children, though? Is it really? Why? Because it's been adapted to cartoons? Because the first one made it out to be a kid-friendly franchise?

At its core, TMNT isn't that kid-friendly at all, starting with Mirage all the way down to IDW and some of its more intense moments. That's like insisting that Harry Potter is kid-friendly just because its always been marketed that way (even though most of its success was due to adults picking up the books) and then handing some kid a copy of Deathly Hallows and having them read, say, the Godric's Hollow bit. That's how you get lifelong nightmares as a child.
Most of the blame should be put into Nickelodeon. In there eyes TMNT is for children. Its the reason why they canceled TMNT 2k12 after 5 seasons and created ROTTMNT instead. Because 2k12 was attracting older people that isn't part of there demographic.

The fact to the matter is. IDW's version of TMNT is appealing to all ages. More so to the older crowd who grew up with these characters. With every issue. We are seeing them grow and become more mature.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #62
Igglet

Different versions of the property are appealing to different demographics. However, as a whole, it definitely is primarily aimed at kids, considering the fact that the most popular adaptations are mainly catering towards them. While the writing often has enough maturity for older audiences to enjoy it as well, that doesn't change who the target audience is.

I would argue that IDW's TMNT is aimed at teens for the most part, I believe I've heard Bobby say so himself. Evidently, older audiences can enjoy it, but that's not to say that younger ones can't either. I don't know about you guys, but a lot of the cartoons that we were shown here in Serbia had content that was a lot darker than most of what the IDW run has to offer, with the exception of, perhaps, Donnie's "death".

Old 04-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #63
ChosenOne
Banned

TV adaptations of TMNT are definitely geared towards a younger audience, but the franchise's true roots are in comics where it's always been far more mature, even the Archie comic which broke off from the 90s cartoon at first. Not just in terms of violence, but even its very themes. It's a tremendous shame that the general public pigeonholes this franchise as mere kids' stuff when it could be so much more.

And to me, Donnie's "death" isn't even up there with the most disturbing moments of the IDW comic. He was a soldier fighting in a war, he knew the risks and still elected to stay behind. No, the most disturbing moment is from the second Bebop & Rocksteady mini when we see them trying to live normal lives as humans but quickly reverting to their violent ways and butchering innocent people, even an old lady IIRC. I had to stop reading for a moment there.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #64
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

This discussion is pretty funny as someone who grew up with 1987 and occasionally hears how that version ruined it for teen and older Mirage comic fans.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:06 AM   #65
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

I wish I was allowed to have the Turtles drink beer, kill bad guys, and swear. At least we can have them say "ass" and "damn."
Old 04-10-2020, 11:13 AM   #66
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Can do like the Biker Mice from Mars, it's totally root beer
Old 04-10-2020, 11:35 AM   #67
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie Campbell View Post
I wish I was allowed to have the Turtles drink beer, kill bad guys, and swear. At least we can have them say "ass" and "damn."
Sounds like Wolverine.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:51 AM   #68
Diorm
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I wish I was allowed to have the Turtles drink beer
Well, they ARE still teenagers right? Maybe when they change the title to regular "Ninja Turtles"

But is there any reason why they cant kill and swear?
Old 04-10-2020, 11:53 AM   #69
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Didn't Bobby say that "light drug use" was OK?
Hahahaha!
Old 04-11-2020, 05:06 AM   #70
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Have Donny shoot smack into his shell cavity to cope with the trauma.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:22 AM   #71
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

maybe light drug use is Donnie having a ton of caffeine to stay awake, one of the others taking pain killers for an injury or headache, or taking nigh quill for the cold and flu season. it is winter after all.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
Old 04-11-2020, 12:34 PM   #72
Jazzfox
Thug

I like to think that the comic hits a nice middle ground, it can deal with a lot of heavy issues like Casey's dad or losing Splinter or even this version's origin story of the turtles

In the same way Samurai Jack (pre-Adult Swim) could be very brutal and visceral without actual bloodshed, I think a huge pip goes to some of the art team too in being able to give big moments a lot of weight without pushing into Marvel MAX territory in how they present it on the page

Back in issue 66, Alopex freeing herself from Kitsune's thrall was one of my fave shots of her time in the IDW continuity, and I think it hits JUST that sweet spot of barbaric and beautiful

Soooooo....

Iunno how I'd feel at things ramping up, I guess, much like my earlier preference, it would all depend on portrayal and presentation

(Although with it brought up? I do wanna imagine in the Biker Mice Root Beer vs real Beer? That maybe Mikey tries it and then just spurts it back out everywhere thinking that it would have been like root beer or something, lol)

(Also, goddamn it, I'd crack a root beer with those biker mice any day, is there ANY chance one of the Biker Mice from MASS is still around in Mutant Town and turned into a mouse at all?)

(Please excuse any long time in replies, sometimes offline for long periods!)
Old 04-11-2020, 12:57 PM   #73
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
What does that even mean?
Old 04-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #74
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What does that even mean?
Here's the exact thing he said:

Quote:
In Mirage, the Turtles were depicted as drinking alcohol. Are you allowed to depict them drinking or does that fall under some kind of rule against depiction of underage drinking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
In practical application, I'd have to inquire with Nickelodeon, but in theory yes! Back when we first got the license we were given a list of what's permissible and I remember drinking and light drug use (!!) was on it. But I suspect that list was what was able to appear in the pages of the comic, not necessarily what the Turtles themselves could do.
Hahahaha!
Old 04-11-2020, 01:13 PM   #75
Shinigami
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Is it aimed at children, though? Is it really? Why? Because it's been adapted to cartoons? Because the first one made it out to be a kid-friendly franchise?

At its core, TMNT isn't that kid-friendly at all, starting with Mirage all the way down to IDW and some of its more intense moments. That's like insisting that Harry Potter is kid-friendly just because its always been marketed that way (even though most of its success was due to adults picking up the books) and then handing some kid a copy of Deathly Hallows and having them read, say, the Godric's Hollow bit. That's how you get lifelong nightmares as a child.
I read it that this forum was. Because it was made for the 87 toon.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:38 PM   #76
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm curious what IDW will do when the comic resumes production, assuming the hiatus goes on for a few months, that's 3+ or more issues missed. Will they make up the lost time with double length issues or just release one issue a month at 20 pages or so and just pick up where they left off? Obviously issue 105 must be mostly done, but I'm referring to the issues that come after.

Seems we might lose almost half a year of releases depending how long this hiatus goes on for.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:22 PM   #77
frank_one
Mad Scientist

They could release a double length issue at regular price to incentivate readers to come back after the hiatus. A lot of people could have less money to spend after this covid crisis or could have forgotten about the comics, the double length issue could help them jump back on the idw turtles train.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:32 AM   #78
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
Are you sure that's the reason that people stay away from these forums, and not that it literally looks like an artifact of an early age of the internet and that, every now and again, people will randomly burst out into political rants with no sense of awareness that they're on a site meant for discussing a property aimed at children?
An early 'artifact'? Uh-huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Ninja Anole View Post
This discussion is pretty funny as someone who grew up with 1987 and occasionally hears how that version ruined it for teen and older Mirage comic fans.
Occasionally?

Quote:
You want the TMNT doing drugs now?
Old 04-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #79
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post

You want the TMNT doing drugs now?
... No? I was referencing something Bobby said, I even posted the exact quote when Andrew asked what it meant. And it was clearly in response to Sophie's post about her not being allowed to write the Turtles drinking beer.

I honestly don't know how you keep missing context, it's right there in what you're responding to.
Hahahaha!
Old 04-20-2020, 02:43 PM   #80
AquaParade
Banned

Well, I don't want them to not be allowed to drink beer.
Closed Thread