The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-29-2004, 09:45 PM   #1
Reznorite420
Banned

Classic Episode Discussion: Enter the Fly

HA! And you thought this kind of discussion was over!

Hark! For I have returned to the blessed forums, more educated than ever to bring you the return of the CLASSIC EPISODE DISCUSSIONS!!!!!!

*fitting orchestra music begins*

Now, with that aside, I believe the discussions stopped with DK's Case of the Killer Pizzas thread. So, naturally, that should make the next one in line be Enter the Fly.

I'm afraid I have some bad news, though: ever since I got my new computer, I haven't used my older SB card that I used to cap the sound clips you all know and love, so I've finally broken the tradition of including a sound clip whenever I start a thread such as this one.

In any case, what do you think of this one? The beginning of Baxter Stockman, the FLY. What direction do you think the series took with this twist in the story of the turtles? (I already know the answer from a vast majority of members here, but what the hey?)

[Stickified for ya- Nturtle]
Reznorite420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 10:17 PM   #2
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I was really surprised cause I never expected them to change Baxter that way. The surprising was, Krang was actually gonna KILL Baxter, so he saved himself by turning into that fly. The ep was cool, it had Baxter as a fly, the posionous Doku plant that almost killed April and the Knucklehead.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 10:50 PM   #3
Jarrah White
Banned

I prefere Cyborg Baxter.
Jarrah White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 12:04 AM   #4
turtleking
Banned

Cyborg Baxter and fly baxter if only I could put them together and get super baxter.
turtleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 12:21 AM   #5
Jarrah White
Banned

I shall call him Ultra Baxter!
Jarrah White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 12:24 AM   #6
turtleking
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrah White
I shall call him Ultra Baxter!

your funny lets hear for this guy. clap everyone. he name the new baxster.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:04 AM   #7
the_minimizer
Foot Soldier

RE:

Cyborg Baxter? That's news to me.
the_minimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 01:19 AM   #8
turtleking
Banned

Re: RE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unix_based_punk
Cyborg Baxter? That's news to me.
it's on the new teenage mutant ninja turtle show.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:04 AM   #9
MW8979
Hench Mutant

It was a good episode, I was surprised too at Krang's cruetly here that he was going to just kill Baxter. Another interesting point to notice, is that in the beginning Baxter and Shredder are atop the World Trade Centre. I bet they'd never show this episode today on tv, same with The big blowout. I can just see the hordes of whiny people now.....
MW8979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 07:19 AM   #10
Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan
Stone Warrior

I still get goosebumps when I watch the scene where Krang goes to kill Baxter. It's just incredibly dark for the series, something you never saw during Seasons 3-6. This could be one of the reasons for the change in tone.

I'll never forget all the weird lights in that "killing room" and how you could see Baxter's skeleton as Krang's ray attempted to kill him. Yeesh! That's about as graphic as it got for the old cartoon series.

Other than that, however, "Enter: The Fly" was a great episode. The only thing that annoyed me about it was the fact that the plant used to save April looks exactly like the plant Shredder used to try and kill her.

That's a case of just being lazy on the animators' part. Oh, well. It wasn't the first time such a mistake was committed, and it wouldn't be the last.

"You've made a terrible mistake!" - Baxter Stockman, from "Enter: The Fly"
Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 07:23 AM   #11
Coola Yagami
Overlord

'Say goodbye to your Gasai'

'I think I'll name it after you.'
'Gee, thanks boss.'
'I'll call it the Knucklehead.'
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 10:46 AM   #12
d_fife@mail.plymouth.edu
Banned

I have always and comments

I have always remembered this ep since I saw it back in 1988. To this day most the of people who I know, I am in college, remember the ep of when Baxter was turned into the fly. 6 years ago when I was at summer camp the kids there remembered that ep and said it was an old episode. My brother, 5 years older than me, still remembers that ep. I watched the ep last summer, on my tape of it. This was ONE of my favorite eps. I don't know about them not showing it now since 9/11 was 2.5 years ago.

I agree with everybody that that showed KRang's truley evil side of trying to murder baxter. Remember when the rock soilders dragged baxter and baxter screamed I can be of help to you I'm a scientist and KRang says so am I and I don't need the assistance of a measley earth creature, into the disinegrator unit with him. Krang killed baxter since he was of no use. I don't understand why Shredder wanted to get rid fo baxter and wanted bebop and rocksteady back since they have screwed up his plans many many many many many many times, but bebop and rocksteady have strength and are willing to bash the turtles.The last straw was when baxter put the wrong battery in the divise for the twin towers thing, which was a simple mistake. But it was nice of krang to change his mind of not sending shredder help and automatically sending him bebop and rocksteady when shredder requested them. Maybe Krang did it to speed up their quest for world domination. From what I have seen on TV episode guids, since I stopped watching the show in 1992 or 1993, This was Baxter's last appearance as a human. How did Baxter fall for the trick of the turtles being responsible for his condition? This was a dark episode with april's near death and Krang trying to kill baxter since he was of no use to him. I wonder what viewers thought when they showed the technodrome a few minutes after shredder threw baxter in the portal.
d_fife@mail.plymouth.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 11:28 AM   #13
Reznorite420
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan
I'll never forget all the weird lights in that "killing room" and how you could see Baxter's skeleton as Krang's ray attempted to kill him.
Don't forget that fatal scream...
Reznorite420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 01:12 PM   #14
jeff the cheff
Mad Scientist

I thought this was an awesome episode, especially since its on the same tape after "case of the killer pizzas"(I didn't like that episode) It was wierd watching it again seeing how baxter was a terrorist and he was going to destroy the WTC. I wonder if they will release this episode to dvd because of that.
jeff the cheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 01:32 PM   #15
Lisardo
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Other than that, however, "Enter: The Fly" was a great episode. The only thing that annoyed me about it was the fact that the plant used to save April looks exactly like the plant Shredder used to try and kill her.
Ya know, I've always been bothered by that too! It look exactly the same! They could have colored the Doku plant blue or something. Also, since I like Poison Ivy from Batman so much, I always thought of a storyline there involving her in that ep, since she's the poisoning-ppl-with-deadly-plants lady.

Shredder prolly didn't trust Baxter as much as dumb ol' B&R which is why he was willing to destroy Baxter, even though both Baxter and B&R made mistakes. Remember Baxter was smart. And like on the new TMNT series, Baxter had an ego and turned against Shredder in one of the 'Sarnoth' eps. Well I guess that's the character of Baxter period, that's how he was in the comics too. He's certainly no shy, and modest genious like how Don is. So b/c Baxter turned on him once, that's prolly why he turned on Baxter in the end and try to have Krang kill him. Now I know there was also one ep where B&R turned against Shredder, 'Bebop and Rocksteady rule the Universe', where they took that raygun that made ppl scared and used it on the Turtles, Shredder, Krang, and many others, to attempt to rule the world without Shredder and Krang. ALso B&R have talked back several times to Shredder, like in the ep 'Bye, Bye Fly', where Shredder was turned into a little fly and B&R at first refused to change him back, since Shredder treated them like dirt all the time and wanted alittle respect. But still, B&R are inferior in brains. The only reason they turned against Shredder and Krang in that one ep is cuz they had the raygun that made ppl afraid. And in the other ep, is cuz they were bigger than Shredder. But Baxter is purely smarter. So perhaps that's why he was willing to just kill Baxter, I dunno.

Overall, that's one of the best eps out there. Not just my opinion either, someone put it on their website for download one time cuz they thought it was soooo good. And no I don't have that URL, it was a long time ago. The artwork I thought was really good too. Very shaded, bright, and well-drawn. *thinks she may go watch it later now, lol*

Lisardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 01:45 PM   #16
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

This is an interesting episode. April almost dies, Baxter almost dies, and the knucklehead makes its first of only two or three appearances! It's loaded with classic lines like "here's ghuzi in your eye!"
It's been years since I've seen this, but I remember the world trade center reference and I too wonder if they would even release it nowadays. Maybe in a few more years...
Unfortunately, though, this is the last episode of human Baxter. And every subsequent Baxterfly episode, Baxter was promised he would be changed back into a human and it NEVER happened. I always hoped it was going to happen, but it never did. Introducing Barney Stockman (Baxter's twin brother?!?) was just a cruel joke. And also , what's with "Landlord of the Flies"? That totally goes out of Baxter fly episode continuity!
But anyway, back to the episode. When I saw this as a little kid, I never understood how making Baxter go "a micro-second forward in time" could "render him permanently out of phase with the rest of the world".
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 02:17 PM   #17
Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins
When I saw this as a little kid, I never understood how making Baxter go "a micro-second forward in time" could "render him permanently out of phase with the rest of the world".
I know this is off-topic, but I never quite got this reasoning either. I'm a huge fan of the "Back to the Future" movies, and according to Doc's theory, anyone transported through time will just have to avoid their double.

So, using Doc's reasoning, if the Turtles were transported a micro-second forward in time, there'd be eight of them running around instead of four. Of course, this would create a time-warp paradox that could destroy the universe and the like. According to Doc's theory.

Then Shredder would really go nuts.

"Oh, blast!" - Shredder, from "Enter: The Fly"
Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 03:07 PM   #18
raphael90
Stone Warrior

Good episode, I remember it back from my younger TMNT days. I finally got to see it again a couple years back and its still up on my list of favorite eps.

As for the whole Baxter thing, I was kind of sad to see him as a human go.
I guess you kinda get used to him and Shredder as a criminal duo, even though their relationship is shaky at best. On the other hand, with Baxter out of the way, Bebop and Rocksteady come back which I like because personally I like their antics.

Overall, this episode actually has a good solid story and its one that keeps you watching whereas other eps in the next few seasons kinda got lame.

"Babies? These things haven't even been BORN yet!"

-Raphael
raphael90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 03:14 PM   #19
PizzaPower
Foot Elite

that ep is my least facortie!! My favotire ep is Invasion of the Punk Frogs. But in enter the fly they do go to the twin towers which is really cool.
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 03:32 PM   #20
MW8979
Hench Mutant

I have to agree that human Baxter was much better then fly Baxter in every way. It's too bad he never stuck around for later seasons. But his intellect is probably why writers got rid of him. I think they wanted to dumb the show down and introduce R & B as permanent "co-stars" since they would always provide endless scenes of slapstic comedy, which they figured all kids find hilarous. I have a feeling if human Baxter was around as Shredder's sidekick even for one more season (or at least alternate with R&B), the show would definately have taken a more serious turn, because he had a lot more capacity to either help or hinder Shredder. But my guess is, the writers were capable of, but told to stay away from, complexity of plot and character. Personally though, I would have loved to see Baxter's and Krang's characters get developed more and possibly show some rivalry between them in the future, as scientists.
MW8979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baxter stockman, episode discussion, fred wolf series