The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Fan Creations > Fan Works Discussion

Notices

Old 01-08-2021, 11:05 PM   #1
AMNTFan
Mouser

Post [Fan Game] TMNT RPG

As promised, an exclusive insight for the best TMNT fan site on the internet. Please forgive me if I drag on, I’ll do my best to be as brief as possible.

The overall objective is game is best described as an ‘open world game with missions, a bit like Red Dead albeit simpler.’ With a variety of missions that takes the player on their own adventure, that player could choose their own pathway in the game, which can lead to particular events depending on the mission chosen or how/when/if they are completed.

My goal and some of the things I have working already to various stages of development are:

Create a top down 8-bit style top-down RPG Game for a few reasons: It is the easiest path to go down. While a 3D third person game (like Out of the Shadows or Mutants in Manhattan) would be the obvious choice, it would take far too much effort and five hundred times the amount of work. Also, to be fair I truly think that sorta’ thing should be up for the big boys at TMNT. However, if I am being truly honest, I really love 8-Bit graphic styles

Day/night calendar + weather feature. The events maybe related around what day/hour/month/temp it is. This will also impact how the Turtles get around during the hot, cold, day or night and present challenges on how to work around them.

Active combat (not just a turn-based game). Players still can level up, learn, train for new techniques. Combat can done in a number of ways, such as at random, attacking a violent gang to prevent crime, with boss battles as well. You’ll also be able to switch between characters in you party as well and no I don’t plan to limit the game to just the four Turtles.

Stealth strategy. You can sneak up on enemies to and complete stealth related missions, which can impact on the overall mission the Turtle maybe on.

Different travel types. You can cut more safely through the sewers, travel the streets by foot/car/bike, run across roof tops, and more (without revealing too much). There will be your standard progress to fast travel, but I want to emphases on freedom of exploration.

The way you move around on the map should be (almost) free from additional buttons other than the direction the player is going. The Turtles will leap from Building to Building, climb ladders, spring off flap poles and power wires based on the direction you're going giving it a smooth feel to the game.

Crafting, I want the play to have some control on how items are collected and reused, to give it that whole the Turtles do great things with what we discard as a society. Crafting will be used in a variety of ways to move forward in missions, improve travel, create improved weapons, enhance/expand the lair, craft quick items for healing or throwable weapons and more.

Banter between the characters. In the games I’ve played Out Of The Shadows and Mutants in Manhattan, one thing I really enjoyed was the way the Turtles talked to each other during the game and even though it’s a 2D top down game with no dialog audio, I hope to achieve a similar thing with pop up chat bubbles. I also want them to be helpful to a degree and try and avoid repeated phrases.

The ability to interact characters who may appear to be NPC but can have an impact on your adventure, if you choose to do so, or not. Such as helping those in need, or doing an unrelated task that has an unforeseen impact on an NPC.

I haven’t solidified the starting point. I would like to do something after the Shredder has attacked their lair, and allow the player to take their own journey from there/rather than a long-forced set of missions due to Shredder’s impact.

Inspirations for the story will come from most sources of TMNT out there, from the variations of Comics, Classic/Modern TV Shows and Movies, and even some fan stuff. However, I will throw in some of my own ideas to keep it a lil different, not to spoil it.

I will say that I have a slight twist on April’s impact in the Turtles Story, she hosts an online blog where she collects and creates hoaxes for reports of giant mutant reptiles as a way to mislead the public with information, she also controls it and report back to the Turtles what she finds.

When will it be released? Tomorrow, I'm kidding, ASAP a lot has been acheived already and even at worst, I'll drop some sorta demo in mid-late 2021.

So, there you have it, there are a few surprises to come, but this is just a taste of the Shell of a project I have been working on.

Want to hear more about it and give me a hard time for having fun while not working on the game? Follow me on here www.AMNTFan.com - there are some socials if you make that far you can follow me on if you wanna stay tuned for more news about the game.

Just for fun here is Splinter Drinking Tea.

Much love to you all, I'll make sure to save you a slice of pizza.

Last edited by AMNTFan; 01-08-2021 at 11:09 PM. Reason: My english is never up to scrach.
AMNTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:25 AM   #2
AMNTFan
Mouser

Howdy The Technodrome Forums,

I was hoping to get some input,

Below is a map of Manhattan, with some obvious landmarks on it already.

Here is the thing I want to work out,

What a TMNT World would look like on said map.

Key locations:
  • Where would the Turtles be located (obviously in the sewers but where).
  • Where would the Foot Clan be located - Shredder's headquarters, foot clan bases (many locations), warehouses, research facilities etc.
  • Baxter Stockman's lab, warehouse, mouser facilty etc.
  • Rat King's lair
  • What areas to groups control, such as the Purple Dragons, Foot Clan, Krang, and eight other groups as well.
  • Where is April's apartment
  • Where is the Krangs main building and other areas of influence.
  • Should Manhattan have a re-imagining of areas? Such as making the Mid Town West, like a Gangland area, adding extra docks, rail lines etc..

I have a few ideas and might try and do an edit of this map in the next week or so but I would really like some creative input. I really want a solid foundation/map of the game so I can within reason build a world around it.

Old 01-17-2021, 12:42 PM   #3
Lord Nightwalker
Stone Warrior

Sounds pretty interesting. Best of luck to you!
Lord Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:12 PM   #4
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Cool Idea. I think TMNT could translate reasonably well into an rpg. I assume like a classic rpg maker type game? I think IDW tmnt has a map showing gang territories.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!

Last edited by Dejablue; 01-18-2021 at 10:22 PM.
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:37 AM   #5
AMNTFan
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
Cool Idea. I think TMNT could translate reasonably well into an rpg. I assume like a classic rpg maker type game? I think IDW tmnt has a map showing gang territories.

https://i.imgur.com/NsTGG5m.jpeg
Thank you so much @Dejablue

I've flicked through a few of my comics and can't find that map. Yes it is a classic rpg maker game, I did a short video a while back and I promise an update real soon.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:51 PM   #6
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Looking forward to your update!

^^^^
Old 01-24-2021, 02:05 PM   #7
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

I think turtles should get the trench coat disguise so they don't have to hide from people on the street. But in combat its possible the disguise gets ripped off (destroyed so its not usable anymore) so it is not a permanent solution. Alternatively, disguises can be useful if a story beat requires you talk to a human. Or be in close proximity with no real alternate way to get around them. For example going inside of a populated building to find someone.

Other things. I would simply assume Rat King's lair would be near the water. Because...rats can swim. That is my logic. I'd like to know more about collectables/items you can find around the world. I had an idea that , while you can find a lot of treasure on your own, you can also see rats as you travel in the sewers or even topside, who, if you follow them, will likely lead you to a stash of something interesting. Perhaps a cache of mutagen. The story being that rats are eating it, and if you don't collect all this spilled mutagen, later on in the game's story giant rats will stampede through new york. You can either let this happen and stop the rats or avoid it all together by collecting the mutagen and recycling it into some useful item for yourself.

As far as keeping the map close to the real world location that is entirely up to you. You can easily say gang/crime activity has reshaped the landscape.

In IDW the krang/utrom are living on a fictional island not far from new york. I think that would be a cool location in your game. Something to justify the turtle blimp or some kind of submarine. Also...I mean this is just a request but I think it'd be fun if building the blimp was part of the game. Or perhaps just repairing it if it gets destroyed from a Shredder attack.

^^^^

Last edited by Dejablue; 01-26-2021 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:14 PM   #8
Tortuglio
Thug

Mmm i think that with the layout of the map, first you should ask yourself what do YOU want to do? You want it to feel grounded, real?
For example, if Foot HQ is a tall building ala 2k3, where should it be? What's its front? Cause i don't think they're openly saying "hey, we are ninja". So in that regard, what's the business part of NY? Or what actual landmark (tall building) could the HQ be? But if you are going for a more fictional NY, well you can do what you want.
Either way, the final layout still should have the gameplay as its most important design choice. Like spreading everything evenly, or if you lockout an area knowing that it's not messing up something else. Also, as a gamer, i think i wouldn't like if they were too spread out, i mean having to tread a loooong way from one place to another would certainly downplay the fun. Maybe if transport isn't going to be something you acquire from the start, having the first areas near each other.
IDK, something like that i guess. My 2 cents. Good luck with the project!
Tortuglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:45 PM   #9
sluggedup226
Foot Soldier

This sounds like a great idea for a TMNT rpg! I really look forward to your progress and to a demo/full game when it's completed; good luck!
sluggedup226 is offline   Reply With Quote