The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #481
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

This may be the beginning of the end for capeshit. After all the Marvel heavy-hitters are phased out (no pun intended) when Infinity War/Avengers 4 concludes, and with DC having never gotten off the ground at all, I think audiences are going to find something else to cling to.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #482
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
This may be the beginning of the end for capeshit. After all the Marvel heavy-hitters are phased out (no pun intended) when Infinity War/Avengers 4 concludes, and with DC having never gotten off the ground at all, I think audiences are going to find something else to cling to.
I think the MCU will keep going, with Spiderman and maybe a couple of other tentpoles. Unless Sony ruins Spiderman for them, which is increasingly likely.

I think WB/DC will give up and retool their efforts into a Wonder Woman franchise (maybe a trilogy, maybe more) and a bunch of Batman films and spinoffs. Because Batman = All the Money.

And Fox will keep foxxing around.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #483
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Wow, how stupid. But maybe Reeves means it's just not... part of the overall narrative of the DCEU? But WW was self-contained and it wasn't like Jenkins was saying it's not part of the DCEU.

This is going to call for another confirmation of Ben Affleck in the part.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:16 PM   #484
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Wow, how stupid. But maybe Reeves means it's just not... part of the overall narrative of the DCEU? But WW was self-contained and it wasn't like Jenkins was saying it's not part of the DCEU.

This is going to call for another confirmation of Ben Affleck in the part.
You called it, man. We'll have that rumor/reply floating the webs again by the end of the week.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #485
TheSkeletonMan939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
But maybe Reeves means it's just not... part of the overall narrative of the DCEU?
Maybe. For the studio it's a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't thing. If you hire someone who's job is only to kickstart the bigger universe (The Mummy) you're going to get only a talentless yes-man who makes a crummy movie. If you hire someone who really wants to make a film, but doesn't want to "share" his movie with other people's plans and ideas you get a problem there too.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #486
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

At the rate WB keeps throwing out new movies they're absolutely for sure going to make in a year or two, I'm surprised nobody high up has stepped in to officially say "The DCEU is dead. We are retooling it."

Seriously. Get some freaking decisive leadership. Commit to a plan. STOP throwing crap at the walls and seeing what sticks.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #487
TheSkeletonMan939

Kevin Feige is unusual in that he's a filmmaker who also actually read comic books as a kid. Not in the "oh yeah I read that modern Mark Millar graphic novel aren't I nerdy XD" way, but in the "I'm a geeky loser who read those rags" way, before comics were cool. He knows what the comic writers were doing in the '70s and '80s to invent these characters and give them the depth that readers today take completely for granted. He knows how the characters tick. These DC guys... I don't know, but I'm guessing that they've leafed through a "Best of Batman" collection and think that they know enough about his angst to put it onto screen.

Feige is able to attract the older crowd because he derives the film ideas from the source, for the most part, and to get the young people he's able to transform the stories and characters to be contemporary. DC is too incompetent to both understand why people like Superman and how to adapt him for today's social climate. Plus they made the mistake of hiring Zack Snyder, who is in no way the kind of person you want to helm a universe. Feige lets Tony Stark be what the comics made him. Snyder tries so hard, so damn hard, to give Clark Kent a personality that Supes feels completely wooden and 2-dimensional.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:04 PM   #488
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

The Batman movie doesn't need to setup some event that affects the other DCEU Movies, to make it standalone, it has to be a story strictly set in Gotham City, it could take place before the previous movies, and tell a story from Batman's past, it worked with the Wonder Woman movie, so it can work with this one.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:52 PM   #489
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

WB will probably wait until Justice League is out before deciding what to do with Batfleck. If it gets BvS level backlash then they'll probably be happy to recast and have this be a self contained story as a way to reboot.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #490
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Kevin Feige is unusual in that he's a filmmaker who also actually read comic books as a kid. Not in the "oh yeah I read that modern Mark Millar graphic novel aren't I nerdy XD" way, but in the "I'm a geeky loser who read those rags" way, before comics were cool. He knows what the comic writers were doing in the '70s and '80s to invent these characters and give them the depth that readers today take completely for granted. He knows how the characters tick. These DC guys... I don't know, but I'm guessing that they've leafed through a "Best of Batman" collection and think that they know enough about his angst to put it onto screen.

Feige is able to attract the older crowd because he derives the film ideas from the source, for the most part, and to get the young people he's able to transform the stories and characters to be contemporary. DC is too incompetent to both understand why people like Superman and how to adapt him for today's social climate. Plus they made the mistake of hiring Zack Snyder, who is in no way the kind of person you want to helm a universe. Feige lets Tony Stark be what the comics made him. Snyder tries so hard, so damn hard, to give Clark Kent a personality that Supes feels completely wooden and 2-dimensional.
I was under the impression that Feige did not grow up a comic nerd but started pounding Marvel comics once he started working on Superhero movies and now has an encyclopedic knowledge of the source material.

Gonna look it up. I'm kinda sorta on bender so it might take a while.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:22 PM   #491
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Ben Affleck Reportedly Out As THE BATMAN After All
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batma...e-dceu-a153445

"The new line, or possibly label, will allow for the making of movies that will stand apart and separate from those big-budget tentpoles. Matt Reeves’ The Batman, for example, is intended to not be connected to the Justice League universe but to be set in a different time period and star another actor."
Old 08-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #492
Vegita-San
Emperor

can we take bets on how much longer warner brothers is going to last?

i'm the target audience for this crap and even i'm starting to get confused with all these different versions.

god help the average audience.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #493
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

THR redacted that almost immediately after they posted it.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #494
snake
Disgusting

Jesus Christ.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:37 PM   #495
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
can we take bets on how much longer warner brothers is going to last?.
What, the company itself?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:38 PM   #496
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

How can they be "unclear where it will fall"? How do they not have any idea what they're doing at this stage? And if "The Batman" is truly just some random Batman movie in its own universe... that still means that leaves them needing to develop a true DCEU Batman movie. How would that help anybody? If they were always going to do just a random Batman movie, why not just continue the Nolanverse or something?

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-24-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:03 AM   #497
Turo602
The King of Kings

Holy f*ck, DC is on crack. WTF are they even doing anymore? Announcing way too many stupid projects to a universe that hasn't fully developed, and now this bullsh*t?

Edit: Is it possible that this is part of their Flashpoint plan? Create a new Batman universe and whatever other movies they want to separate from the current DCEU, just so they can Flashpoint them in later.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #498
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
http://www.cbr.com/ben-affleck-batma...R-TW&view=list

The Batman won't be part of the DCEU says Matt Reeves its a stand alone story
Wow, talk about more brilliant executive decisions!
These well-planned-out films from DC will surely surpass the garbage Marvel puts out!
(Note obvious sarcasm)
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #499
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
THR redacted that almost immediately after they posted it.
hmm, gonna get sued for breaking the news early? or now warner is going to have to change it's plan after seeing negative reaction?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:24 PM   #500
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Matt Reeves on Twitter:

"Jeez, what'd I miss, guys...? 😀

Just to be clear: Of COURSE Batman will be part of the D.C. Universe. Batman will be BATMAN...

In my comments from a while back about not being part of the DCEU, I was talking about The Batman being a story specifically about Batman...

...not about the others in the Universe. That it wouldn't be filled with cameos servicing other stories -- that it would be a BATMAN story."

Tags
batman, diversity comics, the cucked crusader