The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 01:21 AM   #41
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Well I really like Nick's cartoon I just would have preferred Disney for the other reasons I mentioned.

Only Disney superhero cartoon I saw was Ultimate Spider-Man. I saw most of it and the finale. I thought it was pretty good. Maybe using every other Marvel character was a bit much.

I think a Disney TMNT cartoon would have been good.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:44 AM   #42
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Well I really like Nick's cartoon I just would have preferred Disney for the other reasons I mentioned.

Only Disney superhero cartoon I saw was Ultimate Spider-Man. I saw most of it and the finale. I thought it was pretty good. Maybe using every other Marvel character was a bit much.

I think a Disney TMNT cartoon would have been good.
Ultimate Spider-Man pissed me off and I get the feeling most other Spider-Man fans were pissed off as well. Granted, season 4 was OK but it didn't ever fully redeem itself.

Avengers Assemble, Agents of SMASH, Guardians of the Galaxy and Ultimate Spider-Man all share similar problems, in that they're about the lamest thing they could have made but USM makes my blood boil the most, it takes everything about what makes Spider-Man a compelling concept and just gets it wrong. The show thinks Spider-Man should break the foruth wall, make cutaway gags like Peter Griffin, work directly for SHIELD, keep civilian characters almost non-existent and generally not deal with anything outside his superhero career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Basically for the franchise to stick close to Mirage as much as possible. Same reason you didn't see any original cartoon or Archie characters in the 2k3 series.
Not such a vision to be honest. The Mirage stuff (flawed as it may be) is still the start of TMNT and well of creativity, most of the FW cartoon is just a rushed pile of cartoon clichés, bad jokes and a showcase of toys they wanted sold. TMNT doesn't really don't need Bebop, Rocksteady or Krang when you get right down to it.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 01-31-2017 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:48 AM   #43
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
TMNT doesn't really don't need Bebop, Rocksteady or Krang when you get right down to it.
It needs them, or else Purple Dragons, Utroms and Triceratons (or Armaggon and Verminator X if you want Archie antagonists).
Old 01-31-2017, 11:17 AM   #44
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
It needs them, or else Purple Dragons, Utroms and Triceratons (or Armaggon and Verminator X if you want Archie antagonists).
I don't really understand what you mean.
Hahahaha!
Old 01-31-2017, 11:30 AM   #45
CyberCubed
Overlord

Probably that Mirage doesn't have enough major characters alone. Same reason 2k3 series had to invent Hun, Bishop and a whole bunch of other secondary new villains like Ultimate Ninja, Draco, Touch and Go, all the FF villains, Nano, etc.

There really aren't many major characters in Mirage, outside the core major cast that appears in every series like Shredder, Karai, Baxter, Rat King, Leatherhead, etc.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:37 AM   #46
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Probably that Mirage doesn't have enough major characters alone. Same reason 2k3 series had to invent Hun, Bishop and a whole bunch of other secondary new villains like Ultimate Ninja, Draco, Touch and Go, all the FF villains, Nano, etc.

There really aren't many major characters in Mirage, outside the core major cast that appears in every series like Shredder, Karai, Baxter, Rat King, Leatherhead, etc.
Well, there's that I guess. Though it still doesn't mean you need Bebop and Rocksteady.
Hahahaha!
Old 01-31-2017, 12:17 PM   #47
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Honestly, at the moment I'm to the point of being entirely fine with having a break from them anyhow. You can only rehash the same basic stories (albeit in slightly new ways) so much before driving it into the ground.

Somebody please someday stop trying to reinvent the wheel and imagine what the Turtles' 20+ years would be like. (Preferably with a Mirage/2003 tone.) There's no reason it really even has to be all that different; still together as a family, they're simply older, wiser, even better skilled individually and as a team, and facing new criminals and villains plaguing the city/world. There's so much room for them to grow, and yet that old wheel just keeps getting new, if vaguely different, tread. The safe zone of the tried and true, I guess...
Old 01-31-2017, 03:15 PM   #48
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Quote:
Tales of the TMNT ended because Mirage/Pete didn't want to put out any more issues. It has nothing to do with the sale to Nick.

Mirage still has the rights to publish 12-18 comics a year and has had those rights since the sale. They could have had Mirage comics coming out alongside IDW over these last 5 years, but Peter simply doesn't care to do so.
Seems to me that it was put there so that he could complete his own story if he wanted to. I never imagined it having anything to do with Tales and this is honestly the first I've heard of it having anything to do with Tales.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:44 PM   #49
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendamu View Post
Seems to me that it was put there so that he could complete his own story if he wanted to. I never imagined it having anything to do with Tales and this is honestly the first I've heard of it having anything to do with Tales.
I only mention Tales because you did. But in any case, Pete can publish any Mirage comic he wants to at any time. He just has no interest.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:17 PM   #50
ToTheNines
[sic]

Pretty frustrating to know that Peter could easily facilitate stuff like Tristan Jones' Gang War conclusion, but just won't.

Not that I want a whole slew of new Mirage stuff, I've made my peace with its "death". And Modeen's Odyssey was likely a million times better than any volume 4 conclusion. But the gang war non-ending stings.

Any other Mirage story-lines left unfinished?
Old 01-31-2017, 05:14 PM   #51
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Disney would probably give the TMNT franchise more publicity, but I don't think it's worth that.
Honestly, I feel if Disney would've bought the franchise the live action movies would've been handled with much more care and respect than the terrible Platinum Dunes films. Say what you will about the Marvel films being a little too formulaic, they at least get the heart of the characters and can turn out substantial comic book movies that hold enough weight story wise and are true to what makes these characters so likeable in the first place.

Now we may not have gotten as rich of an animated series like the current Nick show or heck...not even the wonderful IDW comic...but I feel that Disney's team would've handled the live action movies far better.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:49 PM   #52
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Pretty frustrating to know that Peter could easily facilitate stuff like Tristan Jones' Gang War conclusion, but just won't.

Not that I want a whole slew of new Mirage stuff, I've made my peace with its "death". And Modeen's Odyssey was likely a million times better than any volume 4 conclusion. But the gang war non-ending stings.

Yeah, it is a major bummer. But I sympathize with the guy. All the same, I really wish he'd just have enough faith in Jim/Dan/whoever else to oversee & facilitate another run. I'm not sure how many other unfinished plots or unexplored things remain, but I'm certain there's more than enough to make for another volume of Tales or something. What Andrew was able to do with content from the RPG books alone is quite amazing. Lots of untapped potential in the Mirage universe. Just goes to show you can churn out new material with old ties relatively easily. Not to mention you can go the IDW route of doing single character issues, which Tales did a fair bit, but could continue to do in wonderful ways, I'm sure. A story dealing with Karai's ascension to power in the Japanese branch of The Foot, a glimpse into the life of Hamato Yoshi, revisiting a story that already happened but told from a different character's perspective, etc.

There's always (semi-official) fan-works, at least.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Old 01-31-2017, 08:22 PM   #53
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:

What was the Gang War thing about? I don't think I ever read that.

www.jephael.com
Old 01-31-2017, 08:30 PM   #54
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
What was the Gang War thing about? I don't think I ever read that.
See # 36, 50, 56, 59, 61 and 64 of Tales Volume 2.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:18 PM   #55
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Ultimate Spider-Man pissed me off and I get the feeling most other Spider-Man fans were pissed off as well. Granted, season 4 was OK but it didn't ever fully redeem itself.

Avengers Assemble, Agents of SMASH, Guardians of the Galaxy and Ultimate Spider-Man all share similar problems, in that they're about the lamest thing they could have made but USM makes my blood boil the most, it takes everything about what makes Spider-Man a compelling concept and just gets it wrong. The show thinks Spider-Man should break the foruth wall, make cutaway gags like Peter Griffin, work directly for SHIELD, keep civilian characters almost non-existent and generally not deal with anything outside his superhero career.
Not trying to go off topic. I see what you're saying but wasn't that the point? It's not that they messed up Spider-Man. They purposely wanted to do a big super hero alliance thing with the whole shared universe...Marvel's Spider-Man is coming so there's that.

If Disney did a TMNT cartoon I doubt it would have been like USM. It doesn't have enough characters to do that unless it crossed over everything and basically made "Turtles Forever: The series". They probably would have made a straightforward retelling again.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:07 AM   #56
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
If Disney did a TMNT cartoon I doubt it would have been like USM. It doesn't have enough characters to do that unless it crossed over everything and basically made "Turtles Forever: The series". They probably would have made a straightforward retelling again.
Uh, what? All we're saying is Marvel's current action/superhero cartoons have all been terrible. If those same people made a TMNT cartoon, it'd likely be just as bad. The current head of Marvel animation does a horrible job with these shows.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:20 AM   #57
Xav
Foot Elite

No they're not. They are just not to your liking.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:25 AM   #58
ToTheNines
[sic]

Objectively speaking... they're ****ing dogshit.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:55 AM   #59
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Quote:
Objectively speaking... they're ****ing dogshit.

I really have no opinion of the shows. I just wanted to use that GIF.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:17 AM   #60
ToTheNines
[sic]

You're out of your element Kendamu.
Closed Thread

Tags
nickelodeon, tmnt