The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Rewatch of 2k3 series?
Definite Yes 46 90.20%
Definite No. 1 1.96%
Maybe next time. 2 3.92%
Watching once was enough. 2 3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #21
biganimefan
Foot Soldier

not sure about committing yet, but I'd like to. When will the marathon begin?
biganimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #22
The True Shredder
Foot Soldier

^Now. I'm going to do an ep or two a day, so you'll be okay with catching up.

Episode 1: "Things Change"
Well what can I say about this episode... Introduction of the Turtles,Splinter,Baxter Stockman,Mousers, Purple Dragons, The Foot,and the mysterious figure. Ohhhh! Not that many things to talk about. Really just a way to introduce all the important characters for now. When I watched this episode I felt that this was just another episode but this is the first episode. Not really an origin story of the Turtles but we get that in the forecoming episodes. But still I felt like they could have made the ep. A bit better.The intro is pretty good as well, though it is not my favorite intro of this show. Your thoughts on this ep.?
The True Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:09 PM   #23
Speedbreaker
Mouser

I was thinking about rewatching this series anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one cuz I wasn't in the TMNT fandom back when it aired. I was 15 when this first aired, just the right age to want a darker, more "badass" version of my childhood loves. TMNT was the only show I watched consistently on the Fox Box, and it felt even darker, grittier and more violent than it already was when compared to all the preschooler-friendly anime 4kids was filling out the rest of the block with.

This first episode still shows its true colors as a kids' show though with moments like Mikey's bad joke before knocking out that purple Dragon. But there were some genuinely funny, clever lines - the "ninjaesque" exchange is still one of my all-time favorite bits of TMNT dialogue. The score also deserves credit - I really love the signature shamisen chords that accompany the Foot's appearance, and that they left a strong first impression as an actual threat - ditto for Saki. That, and many other little things reminded me of the first movie as a teen, cuz I had only a vague awareness that the comics existed. I wasn't even aware this show was happening until a few days before it aired. I remember the Next Mutation ad campaign more vividly. Weirdly enough, when I first saw the listing for this on the cable TV guide, the combination of the title "Things Change" and a description like "The Ninja Turtles return and search for a new home after their lair is destroyed!" made me wonder if it was going to be a follow-up to the original cartoon, or even the live-action verse of the movies and TNM. Keep in mind, this was the early oughties, and reboots as opposed to sequels of 80s properties were still relatively new. When the episode started and the Turtles all sounded like they were in their 20s or 40s in Raph's case, I thought maybe I was onto something, but then when they made a big to-do about their first time going to the surface I knew this was a straight-up reboot. But, between the title and Splinter's moral at the end, they made it plain that they were aware of all the people in the audience who grew up with the FW series, and made it plain that they were going to be doing things differently.

"Gee, a fight between Leo and Raph?"
"Oh, I didn't see that coming..."
Speedbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:17 PM   #24
biganimefan
Foot Soldier

Episode 1: Things Change

Very Good first episode but weakest opening of the 3 animated series'.

Cons...

No backstory(which does come 2 episodes later) does hurt this episode as any newcomers to the franchise would likely be lost.

The PD's are very generic criminals in this episode.

Animation at times is quite bad in the fight scenes(especially the mouser one)

Pros...

All 4 turtles and Splinter are pretty well developed with their personalities.

Mikey steals the show(could very well also be a con)

Saki is heavily implied to murder(or have murdered) the PD leader

The foot are portrayed as relatively competent fighters

Mikey's chucks are back! No ridiculous censors removing them!

Rating: 8/10
Old 08-09-2016, 07:59 AM   #25
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by biganimefan View Post
Episode 1: Things Change

Very Good first episode but weakest opening of the 3 animated series'.

Cons...

No backstory(which does come 2 episodes later) does hurt this episode as any newcomers to the franchise would likely be lost.
Yeah, while I absolutely love the 4Kids series, I don't think it had as strong of an opening episode as the original cartoon. And I agree about the lack of an origin story for the opening episode. It had been a good five years since the TMNT had been on the air. It's very likely that a 5-7 year old might not have known why there was big walking talking turtles. The creators took a chance in waiting a few episodes to get to their origin. And then waiting all the way until episode 10 to get to Shredder's (first) backstory with Hamato Yoshi.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #26
biganimefan
Foot Soldier

I remember in one of the first original DVD releases of the show that someone(I forget who exactly) says that this show is for the children or younger siblings of the fans of the original series. If that were true, then why make a first episode like this that only veteran fans would likely understand?

Also, I doubt that many of us fans of the original even had children back in '03. I always figured myself as one of the older fans of the original show and I wasn't even 19 yet when this came out.

Last edited by biganimefan; 08-09-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:04 PM   #27
MarsicornYT
Foot Soldier

I'm up to the farmhouse ep, Tales of Leo, where's everyone else at?? I want to know if I slow down or catch up
MarsicornYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:39 AM   #28
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Ah maybe I should slow down? I am up to What a croc in season 2.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:05 AM   #29
DVD
Mad Scientist

I've watched it at least twice all thre way through.
I've watched FF maybe 4 times !! Haha.

I have all my Turtles episodes and movies, specials and docs on a single drive. As its permantly on my network I jump in and out of the shows. With this one, I tend to watch 3-4 episodes each sitting.

Happy to watch from S01E01 any given time tho.
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #30
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

I started my re-watch around two weeks ago. I'm up to Fallen Angel. I watch around three or four a week. I walk five days out of seven and listen to/watch about an hour of TV per day as I walk to pass the time each afternoon. It's been a blast so far, and I'm looking forward to the upcoming Shredder arcs.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #31
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

I've just finished City at War.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:49 PM   #32
nimajneb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The good thing about having kids is you can now watch cartoons WITH your children. Now you can rewatch all your favorite cartoons and introduce them to your kids.

I know that if I ever become a father someday, I will make them watch every episode of every TMNT cartoon ever made. My future son won't leave the house until he's seen all 193 episodes of the original cartoon, all 156 episodes of the 2k3 series, the entire Nick cartoon, as well as other shows like Batman: TAS, Justice League, etc.
THIS!

I'll be doing this too...

MICHELANGELO
I hear his bike turns into a plane, or like a jet pack. Hey Don, you're so smart, why don't we have jet packs?
DONATELLO
Yeah, that's good, Mikey. I don't even trust you with a driver's license.
[/
nimajneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:53 PM   #33
nimajneb
Stone Warrior

I'm working my way through the 2k3 series again, I'm midway through the City at war arc. I have skipped some eps though of which i'll revisit down the line.
I think the 2k3 Stockman is the best iteration of him. When i read the IDW comics its with the voices of the 2k3 in my head.
Much like it the Batman TAS characters in my head when i read Batman!
Its quite difficult to get a hold of the 2k3 in the UK so (in hushed tones) i'm relying on youtube for my sins

MICHELANGELO
I hear his bike turns into a plane, or like a jet pack. Hey Don, you're so smart, why don't we have jet packs?
DONATELLO
Yeah, that's good, Mikey. I don't even trust you with a driver's license.
[/
nimajneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:33 PM   #34
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Rewatching season 2, I'm at city at war
Watching them on Amazon prime
Old 08-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #35
Shredder.
New Recruit

Just started rewatching the series today. 2k3 series has been my favorite so definitely going to watch all the episodes.
Shredder. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:40 PM   #36
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Someday I'd like to sit down with my nephew and marathon the entire series, though it might not be for another couple years or so.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:02 PM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Someday I'd like to sit down with my nephew and marathon the entire series, though it might not be for another couple years or so.
Have you ever rewatched it at least once? I think I've gone through it 4-5 times already.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:22 PM   #38
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Have you ever rewatched it at least once? I think I've gone through it 4-5 times already.
Once in a while I'll watch episodes randomly, but I've yet to watch it from beginning to end like I have with other shows.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:37 PM   #39
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

Leo - "Are those guys...ninjas?!"

Mike - "Well...they're certainly ninjaesque!"

Leo - "Be ready for anything."

Raph - "I am soooo gonna enjoy this!"

I legit haven't watched this series in over 6 years. I still remember those lines. Testament to 2K3's greatness!

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord

I watched through the series in full about 4 or 5 times, I forget how many.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote