The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-16-2023, 07:24 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Thoughts on Super Shredder?

I think it's an interesting concept. Worked well for Secret of the Ooze and as a final boss for Turtles in Time. Hardly the worst idea to come out of this property's creative minds.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:58 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

I don't know, I guess it makes sense for Shredder to try and get stronger but I'm not sure if it's always done well. In the 2012 the reason it happens is that he gets some nerve pinches and somehow the only way of fixing it is through mutation, it's very flimsy and the result is just the ugliest Shredder design ever. Then there is MIM, where the design isn't bad but it makes no sense, he just kind of manifests a super armor out of nowhere.

The point is though, you might not want to do it just for the sake of it, make sure it makes sense or at least looks cool.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:08 PM   #3
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

He didn’t seem that super to me in the second movie. So he got a little taller and stronger. People would just assume that he had been drinking more milk and spending more time at the gym, not that he got exposed to radioactive waste.

Now in the 2012 series…THAT was super. Demonic, even.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:30 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm... far from against the idea in principle. You may even get mine and Jim Lawson's take on such a thing in Mirage in "The Shredder."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:08 PM   #5
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

I always thought the idea was cool, but that they utterly wasted it Secret of the Ooze. He shows up for all of two minutes and then accidentally kills himself. I always hoped that eventually someone would do it again and hopefull do it justice.

Not counting video game bosses, the only other time they used Super Shredder was the 2012 series, and I thought this version did full justice to the concept and was very well utilized. When I first heard that they were going to do Super Shredder, my thought was "This better be a story arc. If they're gonna do it, they better use it to it's full potential, over several episodes." And they did.

The design is great; intimidating, demonic looking, and more in line with what it seems like mutagen should do compared to the SOTO version. Plus, it really fits in with Shredder's whole character arc in that show of gradually breaking down, going more insane, and throwing away all of the principles he had, all for his vendetta. We got some good action scenes, and even got a Mirage homage at the end. I was fully satisfied with what they did with the concept that time around.
Zog The Magnificent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:43 AM   #6
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
I always thought the idea was cool, but that they utterly wasted it Secret of the Ooze. He shows up for all of two minutes and then accidentally kills himself. I always hoped that eventually someone would do it again and hopefully do it justice.
My thought was they had already shown in the first movie that the Turtles were no match for Shredder, even when fighting together. All of the weapon fighting had been cut from the second movie and this was Shredder at his best in the second because even he was toned down and made as goofy as in the cartoon. The Turtles used their brains to beat him and SS was a fluke because he drank all the ooze. In the end, just like the cartoon, Shredder's own evil became his undoing.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:02 AM   #7
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Only thing about Super Shredder was how to turn him back. At least thanks to the movies and 2012 show, Super Shredder feels like something that should be saved til the final confrontation. When all else has been exhausted and Shredder has gone from 'get these freaks out of my way' to full blown 'will not rest until they're dead' insanity. Like whenever he becomes Super Shredder 'we're in the end game now' cause there's no turning back.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:47 AM   #8
Mad Dog McMutt
Hench Mutant

I never understood why his outfit mutated with his body. He looked really cool in the 2nd movie though. I just wish he was in it for more than a minute.
Mad Dog McMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:47 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog McMutt View Post
I never understood why his outfit mutated with his body.
Like many of the other things in the movie, they just didn't think it through.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:53 AM   #10
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog McMutt View Post
I never understood why his outfit mutated with his body.
Because he can't run around naked on the streets of New York City. Same goes with Irma in Attack of the 50 Foot Irma.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 02-24-2023 at 05:10 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:16 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

If we're to take the mutagen as hyper-evolving creatures it comes into contact with, it's interesting to imagine what would happen if you splashed it on a human. What would a hyper-evolved human look like? Just bigger? Stronger?
Old 01-17-2023, 12:21 PM   #12
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
If we're to take the mutagen as hyper-evolving creatures it comes into contact with, it's interesting to imagine what would happen if you splashed it on a human. What would a hyper-evolved human look like? Just bigger? Stronger?
That's how I took it in the movie. It made animals bigger (and more sentient), it made dandelions super huge. Since they weren't going with the 'first animal you touched' deal, it would make sense you'd possibly turn bigger and stronger. Costume just mutated cause style points and marketability.

Oddly enough, the 2012 show took it in another direction. If there isn't anything for you to touch while mutated, you fall apart like Mutagen Man. I guess Super Shredder was different since it was entered directly into his veins rather than just being splashed on?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 01-18-2023, 11:50 AM   #13
Sumac
Banned

Super Shredder is a good concept, but only for video games, in actual stories there is little good to nothing. It is good for some final battle kind of thing, but then what?

Its not an idea one can use lightly, since, if Super Shredder is beaten and then goes back to being a normal Shredder he is no longer a credible threat. Even, if he stays as Super Shredder and beaten, he is no longer a credible threat.

Super Shredder is the last resort of writers which want to finish character or make a great event. In less serious series it can indeed work as an event, since no-one expects it to stick or have serious consequences, in more serious work it should be a final measure, but otherwise, its just a gimmick.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 01:01 PM   #14
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Super Shredder is a good concept, but only for video games, in actual stories there is little good to nothing. It is good for some final battle kind of thing, but then what?
Yeah that's the entire point. There is no 'what'. Shredder's story should, by all means, conclude with the defeat or death or Super Shredder if they go the Super Shredder route.