The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 02-04-2018, 05:11 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The problem people seem to have with RotTMNT

... is like, mentally really they're treating it as if they're coming off season 1 (Fred Wolf), season 2 (4kids), and season 3 (2012 Nick) of some giant series of Breaking Bad and they're upset that season 4 (Rise of the TMNT) looks so very different than anything before it. And maybe it's systemic of "casual fans" but...

Stop doing that. If you're above the age of 30 you no longer have any vote in the latest children's cartoon. You don't. The last two seasons of the 2012 Nick show (in which Raph wasn't the "leader" and no one had magic weapons) tanked in the ratings (i.e., all these 30+ year old fans watching diligently did squat) so guess what... Nick is trying something new... for the next generation of little kids.

It's not a jab. It's reality. What else should they do? The same thing again? Throw good money after bad? Little kids are pretty simple. Number of little kids' TMNT cartoons made to float by it's devoted 30+ year old audience: 0. You don't matter. Hopefully you're along for the ride (is what I'm sure the company motto is) but if not, hey, you sure didn't save the last series so it's whatever.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:21 AM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Yeah, kind of hard to disagree with this. Kids cartoons are for kids first and foremost, so they're trying to appeal to them. Makes perfect sense.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:30 AM   #3
Powder
So tired of this place

Yeah man, you're right.

What kills me the most is that the same people bitching about this (casuals) are those who largely loved the Platinum Dune designs, which these are definitely similar to. You'd support those designs but not these? You've got your hulking du-rag Raph, lanky gear covered Donnie, etc. & these are even better by not having uncanny human facial features, 7 foot stature, nostrils, & that they're in 2D (as requested).

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:18 AM   #4
newfan
Mad Scientist

I'd say 30 is being generous when talking about who it's catered for. Yes it had to be different given it comes right after the last one. For some maybe they just don't like the look of the particular designs rather than there being a change. Just an opinion, sure mine won't count when it comes to Nick as you rightly said but I still like and dislike things, I liked their last designs, even though Nick didn't intend those for adults either.
So going on to children, my little one wasn't impressed with them either but again that isn't all kids, some will love it.

Regarding the other shows rating, it had gotten 5 seasons and as I said before, I do think Nicks airing had a hand in the ratings also, we finally got the Crossever arc in the UK this weekend, the last season 5 eps aired I think were back in August! Kids will loose interest. (though I get they may not be so interested in other countries)

Anyway, sorry to come off a bit, but on the subject of ratings, I've asked this before, does only watching Live TV count for ratings or has this been updated with on demand/DVR and internet?

Last edited by newfan; 02-04-2018 at 08:29 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:19 AM   #5
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
My little one wasn't impressed with them. Anyway a lot may come to like it or not mind it so much once it's up and running .
Since there are no breaks lasting for years this time, it's still the same children who know the Nickelodeon series who will watch Rise of the TMNT.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #6
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Yeah man, you're right.

What kills me the most is that the same people bitching about this (casuals) are those who largely loved the Platinum Dune designs, which these are definitely similar to. You'd support those designs but not these? You've got your hulking du-rag Raph, lanky gear covered Donnie, etc. & these are even better by not having uncanny human facial features, 7 foot stature, nostrils, & that they're in 2D (as requested).
I think my preference for the Platinum Dunes designs come from execution. Texture, color, clothing/gear choices. That said, I’m not invested in either product, just watching from afar and appreciating whatever elements do appeal to me.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

I can not believe how many older fans are losing their minds over the designs. This is worse than the PD backlash.
Not liking them is one thing, but acting like it's the end of the world is another. It's just ridiculous.
Xiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #8
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I think Rise of the TMNT is gonna bring the fun back. FW was a fun show back in the days given the era that was on.

Even if this series will cater to a much younger demographic. they can poke fun at all the TMNT tropes that happened throughout all incarnations.

If Shredder, Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady show up. Do you think they will be similar to the FW counterparts, or to the Nick series counterparts?
Old 02-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #9
sdp
-

Appealing to the "millenial geek" demographic has many pros but also plenty of cons. I do think most people complaining are adults who aren't the target audience which is actually more of the 6-10 demographic so even 14 year olds complaining online just doesn't matter. But there is a crossover between people not liking the designs.

But like I mentioned in the Rise thread, I showed a 10 year old the designs and he hated them and he's a fan of the current show. I also remember as a kid when shows had these "KEWL NEW LOOK" makeovers and I usually hated them and asked why they did it and sure enough all those revivals failed after one season.

What's annoying to me is that as an adult you can easily understand "Hey, we just finished a previous incarnation like 2 months ago which was more "classic TMNT, do I really want ANOTHER similar incarnation a year later?" "Wouldn't it be more fun to see something new?" "Am I really going to watch it even if it had been the perfect designs"?

But no in the age of social media everyone wants to spout out their opinion. I have no problem with dromers not liking the new show, if they're on a forum they're hardcore enough to share their opinions but casuals who read buzzfeed and other fake geek sites who are never going to watch it is just lame.

Also, if people like something do we really have to sh-t every thread about it? I can already see every new episode will be full of "ugh, this sucks" and not let the few who enjoy it discuss it. I mean, just look at all The Next Mutation threads, it's always mostly "ugh this show sucked" when some just want to discuss it. At least in the Last Jedi thread the negative comments were "I didn't like it because ____ and this causes _____" but most negative comments on TNM threads and in the upcoming Rise will be "This sucks" without adding anything of value to the discussion.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:31 AM   #10
Overlord

Nickelodeon

I recall a lot of people saying the first Nickelodeon series sucked back in late-2012 and early-2013. When it was cancelled, a lot of them probably missed it.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:22 PM   #11
Kendamu
Sewerhead

I'm waiting to see it in motion. If I don't like it, then I'll just forget about it and move on. Worked for me with Next Mutation, Fast Forward, and Back to the Sewers. It's not like I buy the toys or anything.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:11 PM   #12
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendamu View Post
I'm waiting to see it in motion. If I don't like it, then I'll just forget about it and move on. Worked for me with Next Mutation, Fast Forward, and Back to the Sewers. It's not like I buy the toys or anything.
Same. If it's trash its other mans treasure.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendamu View Post
FF had some good eps.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:21 PM   #14
Leonardo_thebest
Banned

By straddling the line in the later seasons, they alienated the younger viewers, and the potential audience, like myself, wasn't paying attention anymore.
If Nick was more like the CW, the new series could have been rebooted to a whole new audience. It looks like Nick's only thinking about a toy-etic approach ( A word I've learned from the toy's that made us!)
I just caught up on seasons 3,4&5, and they're great, better than most comicbook stuff on TV. I need to find season 2 now.

I love though, that you're attacking the casuals. That's classic.
I'd also throw in that a better title for the op's thread might have read "note to self'.
Leonardo_thebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #15
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Is it almost a little ominous that it can be shorted to RotTMNT?

Sorry, my problems with it our my own. No matter the demographic the creators are focusing on, it's not off limits for fans of the franchise as a whole to still have an opinion on the choices they're making. No one gets to be lord and master over whether or not people are "allowed" to have an opinion.

And if anyone insists on having a so-called "valid" kid-related reason, then no, I still don't care for things they are doing if this may end up being my nephew's intro to TMNT if they don't do the characters any justice and screw them up.

Granted he's 20-months-old, so if it's short lived then maybe not. (Considering his intro to it being the Halfshell Heroes special instead sooner or later. Given how kids get into wanting to watch the same thing a million times, I'm sure it would hold for a while.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 02-08-2018 at 06:51 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #16
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Given how kids get into wanting to watch the same thing a million times
Fascinating. I used to rewatch more as a child, but I always thought it was a result of limited access. If I decided when I was a child one afternoon:

"–This afternoon, I will watch something, I was limited to TV (with much, much, much less channels in Sweden as in the USA at the time) and some videotapes. If I had been able to watch something I hadn't seen before instead, I would do it.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 02-09-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:10 PM   #17
Antnee13420
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
... is like, mentally really they're treating it as if they're coming off season 1 (Fred Wolf), season 2 (4kids), and season 3 (2012 Nick) of some giant series of Breaking Bad and they're upset that season 4 (Rise of the TMNT) looks so very different than anything before it. And maybe it's systemic of "casual fans" but...

Stop doing that. If you're above the age of 30 you no longer have any vote in the latest children's cartoon. You don't. The last two seasons of the 2012 Nick show (in which Raph wasn't the "leader" and no one had magic weapons) tanked in the ratings (i.e., all these 30+ year old fans watching diligently did squat) so guess what... Nick is trying something new... for the next generation of little kids.

It's not a jab. It's reality. What else should they do? The same thing again? Throw good money after bad? Little kids are pretty simple. Number of little kids' TMNT cartoons made to float by it's devoted 30+ year old audience: 0. You don't matter. Hopefully you're along for the ride (is what I'm sure the company motto is) but if not, hey, you sure didn't save the last series so it's whatever.
I agree that they should be targeting kids but most of us 30 year old fans have kids or Neices and Nephews that we watch with and buy the toys for. I am not against change but what confuses me is these look like rip offs of the failed recent movie turtles. Did nobody on creative think to say this didn’t work once why are we trying again?
I’m already not craY a out changes but I’m gonna give it a shot as I’ll be watching with my nephew who loved the 2012 most recent series but I don’t have high hopes.
Antnee13420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:31 PM   #18
Overlord

The turtles, except Donatello, wielding magic weapons in Rise of the TMNT, may be the most drastic changes ever in TMNT history. Even bigger than when the MWS series began.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:50 PM   #19
Powder
So tired of this place

Not really. They did it in 4kids, & other iterations dabbled in it too.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #20
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Not really. They did it in 4kids, & other iterations dabbled in it too.
The Ninja Tribunal was just temporary.

Tags
note to self