The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Question on Leonardo: Blind Sight mini-series

I recently picked up the Leonardo: Blind Sight TPB that collects Tales of the TMNT #5 and the 4-part Blind Sight mini-series.

It was the last of the individual turtle mini-series that I hadn't yet read, and I am overjoyed to have been able to experience it in glorious, graphic novel format! The plot development is bizzare and left me confused as to whether the whole story was just one big illusion, but it is a fantastic saga in the Mirage TMNT Universe. I think it is some of Lawson's best Turtle work of the decade in both artistic and storytelling merit. It is light years more engrossing than any of the other three mini-series that followed.

Nevertheless, I have one complaint about the trade collection (one that appears to be common among the Tales Volume 2 TPBs): the omission of the frontispieces!

I do own Tales of the TMNT #5, which included this awesome Dooney piece:

But having never read the original issues of the 4-part mini-series, I would like to know whether frontispieces were included and, if so, what were they about?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 12-08-2010 at 04:35 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

The four Turtle miniseries didn't feature any frontispieces, so you aren't missing anything there (save the frontispieces excluded from any of the Tales Vol. 2 issues, as you mentioned).

I never bought any of the Tales Vol. 2 trades, as I owned every issue in singles format. So they omitted them in all their collections?

That seeems rather... obnoxious. They're anthology collections, so they wouldn't have interrupted any narrative flow, and even if they did, why not include them in the back as bonus material? (sorta like how the original frontispieces should have been included in the 2007 Tales Volume 1 Treasury Edition as bonus material)

Trade paperbacks really weren't Mirage's thing. Yeesh.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
So they omitted them in all their collections?

That seeems rather... obnoxious. They're anthology collections, so they wouldn't have interrupted any narrative flow, and even if they did, why not include them in the back as bonus material? (sorta like how the original frontispieces should have been included in the 2007 Tales Volume 1 Treasury Edition as bonus material)

Trade paperbacks really weren't Mirage's thing. Yeesh.
Thanks for the info, Spengs, I appreciate the clear up!

Regarding the other volumes, the comic shop where I bought my Blind Sight TPB had two or three other volumes as well. I owned most of those issues already and wasn't interested, but I did open them up to take a peek at the contents, and I didn't see any frontispieces upon a cursory evaluation. Seems like the ones I was really looking for were the ones from the Rick Remender issues. However, I might have been mistaken since didn't spend too long on them. It's very possible some of the volumes might have included them while others didn't.

Also, I thought I'd point out another flaw in the Blind Sight TPB:

That Splinter outline is so 4Kids cartoon stock art! All the other characters look like they were drawn by Lawson so I don't know why he couldn't just throw a new Splinter together. lol

EDIT: I'm fairly certain that any backup stories included in the original issues of Tales were NOT reprinted in the collected TPBs. That would be a major bummer if you picked up the trades thinking you were getting the whole content of the original issues. Some of the best moments in the whole Tales run came in the back-up stories: "The Mother of All Anger," "Credo," and "Secret Spirit" were all classic examples of introspection into the souls of the TMNT. But "Credo" got excluded when they collected #33.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 12-08-2010 at 04:49 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:07 AM   #4
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Truthfully this was my favorite arc from the Tales run. Something about it is so perfectly paced, perfectly drawn, perfectly written.. I love every panel. Glad you got to enjoy it as well.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
DK2
Stone Warrior

I never realised the frontispieces were gone in the Tales V2 tpb's. It slipped my mind when I reread the issues in the trades. Even the back ups were missing too. Guess they just wanted to stick with the concept of the issues main story.
DK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collected books, tales of the tmnt