The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"A Wrinkle in Time" movie

Has anyone checked this out? Is it any good? It looks like it has "BOMB" written all over it, to me. It seems a little bit telling that variations of the same damn trailer is playing every time I go to the theater, 80% of it talking about how great the crew is, how diverse the cast is, and how wonderful the director is and only about 20% featuring the actual movie... as if they're trying to manufacture another "important" movie.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-09-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
Shark_Blade
Emperor

The story is not appealing to me, so no I'm not gonna go see it.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:04 PM   #3
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Has anyone checked this out? Is it any good? It looks like it has "BOMB" written all over it, to me. It seems a little bit telling that variations of the same damn trailer is playing every time I go to the theater, 80% of it talking about how great the crew is, how diverse the cast is, and how wonderful the director is and only about 20% featuring the actual movie... as if they're trying to manufacture another "important" movie.
They must have changed trailers, then. Last time I was in the theater - The Last Jedi, so only a couple months ago - it was just a straight up story trailer. It didn't look like anything special and, in fact, the kids acting performances even in the footage they picked for the trailer felt kinda crap. Guess they can't all be the Stranger Things cast.

Sounds like a case of another movie that did the book wrong, judging by what I've read. Either way, it's probably much less trying to manufacture anything than the studio realizing they probably had a dud and using the usual tricks to try and get people in opening weekend before reviews and word of mouth killed it off in week two. And the reviews are pretty iffy. Rotten Tomatoes has it pegged at 42%. Apparently it's pretty to look at, but the performances are bleh and it kind of speeds through things, sort of like how The Last Airbender film treated its source material, though probably not to the level of that extreme example.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #4
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
The story is not appealing to me, so no I'm not gonna go see it.
It didn't really grab me either when I read it, but I still think it would suck if this movie did bomb, with all the hype it has been getting.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #5
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
It didn't really grab me either when I read it, but I still think it would suck if this movie did bomb, with all the hype it has been getting.
It would not be good for Disney if it bombed. Since they spend a whole lot of money on it.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:33 PM   #6
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

42% Critics
27% Audience

on Rotten Tomatoes

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_w..._in_time_2018/
Old 03-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #7
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
It would not be good for Disney if it bombed. Since they spend a whole lot of money on it.
I think Disney will be fine either way
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I hated it when I read it. Too bad the movie sucks, though.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:51 PM   #9
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I'm half way through the book now, and I can't say as it's grabbed me yet.
It came highly recommended, but I think it might be the sort of thing that one needs to read at a specific time in one's development to really truly enjoy.

Kind of like Catcher in the Rye.

It's gotten good reviews from the folks that I know who've seen it.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #10
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
It sucks for any movie where a lot is spent on producing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I'm half way through the book now, and I can't say as it's grabbed me yet.
It came highly recommended, but I think it might be the sort of thing that one needs to read at a specific time in one's development to really truly enjoy.

It's gotten good reviews from the folks that I know who've seen it.
I tried reading A Wrinkle in Time in the fifth grade, and it probably didn't grab me back then either since I didn't really read it all the way through. I had to do a book report on it too, and I kind of just bullsh*tted when I wrote it, and I actually got a decent mark. I figured I'd try reading it again last year. I made it near the end, but then I had to return it to the library when I couldn't get any more renewals on it, and never bothered to go back to it again.

As for Catcher in the Rye, I bought it on a whim at Barnes & Noble when they were having their party for the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which I also bought. Catcher is pretty darn good. I was 28 when I bought it and read it, and I'd like to think that I'd enjoy it as a teenager since I find I relate to Holden Caulfield in some ways.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:41 PM   #11
plastroncafe

Quote:
As for Catcher in the Rye, I bought it on a whim at Barnes & Noble when they were having their party for the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which I also bought. Catcher is pretty darn good. I was 28 when I bought it and read it, and I'd like to think that I'd enjoy it as a teenager since I find I relate to Holden Caulfield in some ways.
I LOOOOOOOOVED Catcher when I was in high school.
Loved it. It was the first bit of Big L literature that I felt really spoke to me.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:45 PM   #12
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
I LOOOOOOOOVED Catcher when I was in high school.
Loved it. It was the first bit of Big L literature that I felt really spoke to me.
What's Big L literature?

This may or may not fall into a category such as Big L, but the way you described the book, that's how I felt about The Outsiders, which I had to read for high school. It was one of four books that was assigned to me for summer reading as an incoming freshman. The others were The Pigman, Eric, and The Pearl. The latter just bored the crud out of me and was a chore to read.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:52 PM   #13
plastroncafe

Quote:
What's Big L literature?

This may or may not fall into a category such as Big L, but the way you described the book, that's how I felt about The Outsiders, which I had to read for high school. It was one of four books that was assigned to me for summer reading as an incoming freshman. The others were The Pigman, Eric, and The Pearl. The latter just bored the crud out of me and was a chore to read.
Big L Literature is basically works of fiction deemed to have a higher level of importance by...I don't know, people who have strong opinions about such things. It usually consists of the works of dead white guys. So stuff like Shakespeare, Hemingway, Steinbeck, Kafka...etc.

Work of cultural importance.
As opposed to say Harry Potter, or Stephen King.

When you say Eric, you don't mean the one by Pratchett, do you?
Man, I'd have LOVED to have read Pratchett when I was in school.

I read The Pearl in Jr High, and it was...weighty.
It, like the Scarlet Letter,, and Of Mice and Men, just pissed me off.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-10-2018, 01:04 AM   #14
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Yeah, that's one of those books where you either like it or you don't and I rarely see much in between. I never cared for it at all, the book or the main character, but there were a couple in high school who loved it.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:37 AM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think I read Catcher in the Rye in 9th grade. I won 1st place in the district level "Reflections" contest for a short stort I wrote in that vein.

A few years back there was all these reports about unpublished sequels to it that were discovered when the author died. I wonder if we'll ever get to read them.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:08 AM   #16
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I remember reading Catcher in the Rye, The Scarlet Letter, and The Great Gatsby. They are some of worse books I have ever read.

As for this movie, it looks terrible.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:56 AM   #17
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
I remember reading Catcher in the Rye, The Scarlet Letter, and The Great Gatsby. They are some of worse books I have ever read.

As for this movie, it looks terrible.
I hated both Gatsby and The Scarlet Letter. I understand their importance as works of fiction, but I really hate stories where everyone is an @sshole.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #18
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
If it bombs, it will be a shame. I read it as a kid on my own and enjoyed it, but thus far no movie adaptation has ever really done it justice. It's a very difficult story to adapt anyway, and the fact that it is as much about the nature of reality as it is a sci-fi tale makes it hard for some to grasp. I want to see this, but might not get a chance, so I hope it at least does well.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:21 AM   #19
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:

When you say Eric, you don't mean the one by Pratchett, do you?
Eric is written by Doris Lund. It's about her son Eric and his life battling leukemia. I only read it half-assedly when it was assigned to me back then, but I decided to revisit it recently. It's so-so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
Quote:
I hated both Gatsby and The Scarlet Letter. I understand their importance as works of fiction, but I really hate stories where everyone is an @sshole.
Instead of reading the actual book for Gatsby, I checked out the original movie that was made for it. I couldn't get into it, and therefore I didn't bother to finish.

As for The Scarlet Letter, I might just stick with Easy A, which is basically a modern version of that book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
If it bombs, it will be a shame. I read it as a kid on my own and enjoyed it, but thus far no movie adaptation has ever really done it justice. It's a very difficult story to adapt anyway, and the fact that it is as much about the nature of reality as it is a sci-fi tale makes it hard for some to grasp. I want to see this, but might not get a chance, so I hope it at least does well.
Even though I thought the book was so-so, I decided to rent a copy of the movie on DVD that was made for TV back in 2003. Whether this new version flops or not, I'd still be interested in renting it when it comes out on home video.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #20
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Yeah, Easy A, the only good version of the Scarlet Letter.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote