The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 06-14-2017, 08:07 PM   #21
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
I've said it before, but Nintendo has a huge cast of memorable Mario characters that would be great for Mario Kart...but instead we get things like Random Dry Bones, Baby Daisy and Gold Peach.
Correction, Pink-Gold Peach.

Last edited by Turo602; 06-15-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #22
sdp
-

Quote:
I've said it before, but Nintendo has a huge cast of memorable Mario characters that would be great for Mario Kart...but instead we get things like Random Dry Bones, Baby Daisy and Gold Peach.
I always thought so too, it also boggled my mind how some characters made it into the roster before others, like say King Boo before Bowser Jr. How about bringing back DK Jr.? Or add the DK Country crew? I remember spin-offs started using the DK cast again after Rare left Nintendo but after DKC Returns they decided to separate them again.

Of course Metal/Cat/etc Mario/Peach are all made to have "another" character with different stats but not having to make new animations or 3D models but i think I'd prefer those spots blank. Nintendo showed how they don't know how to choose characters with the DLC, Kirby was the perfect fit for Mario Kart and we didn't get him, instead we got Link who might be more popular but makes less sense and I don't think Link sold more DLCs than Kirby would have in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Super Mario Land 1 and 2 were considered main Mario platformers on one of the last Mario promotional sheets Nintendo made. The only reason they seem weird is Miyamoto didn't have much to do with them. Besides that, they introduce important characters. Mario Land introduces Daisy, and Mario Land 2 introduces Wario...both characters who became permanent Mario characters.
Permanent characters who never appeared in another mainline game, hell Daisy doesn't even appear other Mario series, only the mini game/sports spin-offs as a selectable character. Wouldn't it be awesome to have Wario as a villain again? Daisy as a princess? Even if it's in a Luigi spin-off or RPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Someone just made this, I can't stop laughing

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih323XXu_3w
Without Odyssey being a thing and the trailer having the music it would've just been an unamusing video to me but with both of the above I ended up being amused.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:27 PM   #23
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Something about the jazz on the Odyssey trailer reminds me of the soundtrack for the Bayonetta series.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:43 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Permanent characters who never appeared in another mainline game, hell Daisy doesn't even appear other Mario series, only the mini game/sports spin-offs as a selectable character. Wouldn't it be awesome to have Wario as a villain again? Daisy as a princess? Even if it's in a Luigi spin-off or RPG?
I don't think it matters. Wario then went on to get his own 2D platformers and they made 5 Wario Land games, (Wario Land 1-3 on Gameboy, then Wario Land 4 on GBA, and Wario Land: Shake It on Wii), and then of course the WarioWare microgames series.

Most of the major Mario characters re-appear in multiple games. Even Prof. E. Gadd who originated in Luigi's Mansion went on to appear in quite a few of the Mario and Luigi RPG's, and he has a major role in Partners in Time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:03 PM   #25
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I kinda wanna see Wario in a legit Mario game. I know Mario is basically saving the princess from Bowser all the time but where does Wario fit in all of this? I wouldn't mind seeing him and Waluigi as bosses in a Mario game, not a sports or racing game.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:44 PM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I kinda wanna see Wario in a legit Mario game. I know Mario is basically saving the princess from Bowser all the time but where does Wario fit in all of this? I wouldn't mind seeing him and Waluigi as bosses in a Mario game, not a sports or racing game.
Because Wario doesn't care? Watch the openings to any Wario Land game, he's always off on his own living by himself or searching for treasure. Why would he give a damn about Bowser invading the Mushroom Kingdom?

Mario's universe is vast, it consists of all sorts of worlds, cities, Donkey Kong jungle's, alternate kingdoms, etc. Mushroom Kingdom isn't the entire Mario planet, much like Hyrule isn't the entire planet Zelda takes place in.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:57 PM   #27
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
Correction, Pink-Gold Peach.
Well, it IS Princess Peach were talking about...the pink goes without saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Most of the major Mario characters re-appear in multiple games. Even Prof. E. Gadd who originated in Luigi's Mansion went on to appear in quite a few of the Mario and Luigi RPG's, and he has a major role in Partners in Time.
Don't forget that even though he didn't physically appear in Super Mario Sunshine, he did invent FLUDD and the Magic Brush from that game. His company logo is even on all the nozzle boxes.

I guess if we had to wait 36 years for Pauline to appear in a main Mario game we can wait another 8 more for Princess Daisy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
It's better to imagine the Mario Universe as something like the DC comics universe. Everything takes place in the same world and while there may be occasional crossovers, Batman mostly stays in Gotham City and Superman mostly stays in Metropolis, just like like how Mario mostly stays in the Mushroom Kingdom and Wario mostly stays in Diamond City.

That being said, yeah, I'd love to see Wario appear in a Mario game besides the sports titles. But what would be Wario's motivation and purpose? Greed is Wario greatest motivation in life so I could see him doing something like opening an item shop or selling hints and tips. But if Wario's a boss then why would he get involved? Sure, Wario despises Mario, but I don't think that's enough motivation for Wario to stop picking his nose and get up from his couch.

Let's take a look a some of the more famous moments of Mario and Wario's rivalry. First there was Super Mario Land 2(Where Wario wanted a castle of his own so he stole Mario's.), the first Wario Land game(Where Wario tried to reclaim a stolen gold statue of Princess Peach so he could ransom it back to her.) and the Mario Power Tennis intro(Where Wario & Waluigi wanted revenge for losing the Tennis Tournament.). Usually Mario and Wario only feud when Mario has something that Wario wants. The only time Wario didn't have any clear motivation was in Mario & Wario where Wario dropped buckets on Mario and his friends for no apparent reason other then maybe they were too close to his house.

So basically, if Wario would be a boss battle in a modern Mario game he needs more motivation then simply "I hate Mario!". Personally, I think a game where Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi are forced to work together would be most ideal...something like the Mario & Luigi series only with the Wario Bros added. The comedy and interactions practically write themselves and the moves and abilities possible could be awesome.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:41 AM   #28
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Personally, I think a game where Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi are forced to work together would be most ideal...something like the Mario & Luigi series only with the Wario Bros added. The comedy and interactions practically write themselves and the moves and abilities possible could be awesome.
Sounds like Super Mario 64 DS is the game for you, it's got 3/4th of what you want, missing only Waluigi.

View my sketch work!
Old 06-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #29
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Sounds like Super Mario 64 DS is the game for you, it's got 3/4th of what you want, missing only Waluigi.
Except in that game the characters never interacted with each other, the camera was awkward and for some reason they decided to make Yoshi the star of Super MARIO 64. They didn't even have a good explanation for Wario and Luigi to be there. New characters randomly thrown into an old game isn't even close to what I'm talking about. If you haven't guessed, I'm not the biggest fan of the DS remake.

I'm talking about a new adventure where the characters personalities and abilities interact with each other. Something similar like I said before to the Mario & Luigi series or Crash Twinsanity. Waluigi's body type alone gives so many possibilities. Like I could see Wario using Waluigi as a shovel to uncover secrets or have one of the character use him like a javelin throw to reach new areas. Maybe Wario's farts can act as a double jump or something. I'm sure some talented game designer can come up with something better. If they can come up with a game where Mario teams up with the Rabbids and do it in a fun and humorous way where the character's personalities play off one another then surely they can do the same with Wario and Waluigi.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:57 PM   #30
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I'm half tempted to start calling this game Grand Theft Mario, there are so many similarities.

This game definitely isn't for me. I don't like the open-world style and have always preferred linear SMB games. Some if the environments (particularly the city one) don't feel like they fit with the usual Mario style. The past few entries in the series (and this one too) have felt really gimmicky, with lots of weird power-ups and new abilities and what not, and this one seems no different.

That being said, I realize a lot of people enjoy these 3D SMB games and have been wanting a game similar to SMB64 for a long time, so for their sake I hope Nintendo can provide the game they've been wanting.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:14 AM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

The power ups are the best part of every Mario game. And taking control of enemies with the hat is a great idea.

Looks like it'll be a great game, and I can't imagine ever skipping out on a main 3D Mario given they're the highlights of every Nintendo console.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:49 AM   #32
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Mario turning into enemies, dinosaurs, and even people is a very daring concept. I can't wait to try that out.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #33
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

It's basically a glorified Mario Galaxy 3, should be amazing.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #34
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
It's basically a glorified Mario Galaxy 3, should be amazing.
Not really, the Galaxy games were about anti-gravity, spherical worlds, and mostly linear worlds that led to a single star with few exceptions.

Odyssey is more of a full open world Mario in the vein of Mario 64 and Sunshine where you can explore a full world in any direction.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #35
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Mario's new hat "possession" power is apparently triggering some freak outs online...
http://mashable.com/2017/06/15/super.../#rz_w8RRgRaqb

View my sketch work!
Old 06-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I wonder what the next Mario game will be like, 7 years from now.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord

3D Mario games come out more frequently than they used to, the only big gaps were the first two games:

1996: Super Mario 64
2002: Super Mario Sunshine
2007: Super Mario Galaxy
2010: Super Mario Galaxy 2
2011: Super Mario 3D Land
2013: Super Mario 3D World
2017: Super Mario Odyssey

The N64 and Gamecube only got 1 3D Mario game each, and they were spread apart, but since Galaxy came out in 2007 we've gotten a new one every 2-3 years.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:21 PM   #38
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I wonder what the next Mario game will be like, 7 years from now.
I'm sure there'll be one or two by then, but you'll ignore them for whatever reason.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:34 AM   #39
oldmanwinters
Overlord

The internet continues to freak out about Mario's new powers of possession. But Nintendo insists he's simply "capturing" things...
http://screenrant.com/super-mario-odyssey-villain-meme/

View my sketch work!
Old 10-10-2017, 10:45 PM   #40
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Apparently, the singer of the game's theme is Kate Higgins.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoNintend...97151853850624
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote