The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2018, 10:39 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I hear ya. "It's AAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!" is a personal inside joke between my wife and I.

I also agree that it would be nice to hear him talk about newer games more often, but he's mentioned several times that he kind of dropped off after the PS1 era.

I know he and Mike have occasionally played newer games in their other videos, but I just can't get into those. I'll be honest, watching other people play video games is super boring to me, especially when they talk/mumble in meandering fashion the whole time. And they often say dumb/ignorant stuff when discussing basic pop culture stuff they really ought'a know, and I end up yelling at the screen.

I'm sure James is a real nice guy, but I really only like his AVGN and Board James videos. And even with Board James he kinda seemed to give up on it halfway through, thus the strange and abrupt ending he gave it.
I don't want him to talk about current games much, tbh. Unless they're Nintendo, ofc. James is all about nostalgia, as the theme song says "he's gonna take you back to the past".

Honestly, it's a bit odd to see him review a PS1 or an Xbox 360 game like Sonic 2006, which was current gen back when AVGN became a thing .Man, AVGN reviewing a 360 game! Wow time flies.

One thing I agree with James is that the NES games seem to make the best episodes. He even says it himself that the NES is his safe zone. I guess it's because that's the console he started with and the console we primarily associate him with. Not to mention a lot or most of the NES games he reviewed are games he grew up with, so you can feel how genuine his frustrations are. While games for the Saturn and games like Sonic 2006 are games he did not play until this decade as a guy in his 30s. Not the same sort of long lasting trauma or nostalgia.

Tbh, James wasn't even THAT big of a gamer until he started AVGN: His main passion is film making. He did the first couple of videos as a joke and Karate Kid was meant to be the last of the trilogy... but it snowballed and the rest is history. Basically, his collection grew a TON, and a lot of sh*t he owns have been donations from fans. He made a video in like 2007 about console wars where he had to edit a Saturn in because he didn't own a Saturn... but then got mailed 4 SEGA SATURNS as gifts from fans . Not a bad gig to have. Buying and playing games as a hobby and job and also getting consoles and games as gifts from fans . Also, some of the games he reviews are Mike's. Mike is the bigger gamer of the two, I think.

James and Mike's Mondays is hit and miss. Mike can be rather annoying and grating. Some have good moments and jokes, but not really a must see thing.

Board James was fun.

Movie reviews... well James is a bit too much into horror movies and such, which aren't really my thing. So meh.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sumac vs leo656