The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 03-07-2018, 08:52 PM   #61
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Great story.. loved those pies! I remember Leo was the one I kept getting over and over again. Maybe there was a different "short packed" one per region?

My white whale is an original splash page from Mirage TMNT #7, either the splash where they encounter Splinter inside the TCRI building, or the splash where they end up (spoiler alert) in April's bathtub.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:03 PM   #62
Ninjinister
無問題

I swear to god if Hostess brings back those pies I will buy them by the case.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:14 PM   #63
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
I guess I never really posted my response to this thread. I've actually eliminated several white whales for my collection in the last two years.
You know what? Same. I had made a post about wanting Laird art & a Turtle Saint, but those were always somewhat attainable, & not actually the highest on my totem pole of turtle power.

What I should have said, is that my white whales were 1. a cel from The Big Cufflink Caper featuring at least one turtle in mafia attire - and - 2. a prop from the very first live action movie. I got both in November & December of 2017 respectively. Hurrah! Not that won't buy future TMNT goods, but after getting those, I feel a sense of closure about my collection on a whole. Can't get much better than finally getting your two biggest wants (unless of course more of either category were to fall into my lap...!).

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #64
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
Great story.. loved those pies! I remember Leo was the one I kept getting over and over again. Maybe there was a different "short packed" one per region?

My white whale is an original splash page from Mirage TMNT #7, either the splash where they encounter Splinter inside the TCRI building, or the splash where they end up (spoiler alert) in April's bathtub.
thanks! yeah i always get a chuckle when i think back on that.
i loved them too, until my sticker search breakdown.

you were able to get that original Mirage page?

Quote:
I remember Leo was the one I kept getting over and over again.
GAH!!! OF COURSE!!!!!!

Spoiler:
this is me hearing of ALL those Leo stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I swear to god if Hostess brings back those pies I will buy them by the case.
i seriously would be tempted to try one again.
they really were delicious in a (it's TOTALLY BAD for you) kind of way!
Old 03-07-2018, 10:01 PM   #65
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
thanks! yeah i always get a chuckle when i think back on that.
i loved them too, until my sticker search breakdown.

you were able to get that original Mirage page?
No, I was just saying those pages are the top of my want list currently.

At one point I had an uncut set of those pie stickers...I forget where I got them from? Not the pies, that's for sure.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:14 PM   #66
Panther10
Hench Mutant

what piece of tmnt merchandise would I consider a white whale? As in the thing I must have even if it kills me? that would be super accurate TMNT movie figures. But Neca already gave us those in their 1/4 scale line along with the potential to see those in 7" scale this year so I guess that means the chase is over? I guess the Neca b/w comic book figures would be a distant second place contender, but since I have the full color turtles, April, mousers and the foot ninja, buying those turtles now would un-homogenize the rest of the group since they are the only figures in that collection that are in stark b/w...so its really no loss to me if I can't find those....even if they are rereleased
Panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:16 AM   #67
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
No, I was just saying those pages are the top of my want list currently.

At one point I had an uncut set of those pie stickers...I forget where I got them from? Not the pies, that's for sure.
ah! i also have a few pages of Mirage i'd love to own,
but think i'd just be better off drawing my own versions of.

hope you can find them one day.

a year or more ago i found hologram versions of that very same sticker art for sale.
i decided to pass on it due to the realization of just how poorly they all were drawn.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:24 AM   #68
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
You know what? Same. I had made a post about wanting Laird art & a Turtle Saint, but those were always somewhat attainable, & not actually the highest on my totem pole of turtle power.

What I should have said, is that my white whales were 1. a cel from The Big Cufflink Caper featuring at least one turtle in mafia attire - and - 2. a prop from the very first live action movie. I got both in November & December of 2017 respectively. Hurrah! Not that won't buy future TMNT goods, but after getting those, I feel a sense of closure about my collection on a whole. Can't get much better than finally getting your two biggest wants (unless of course more of either category were to fall into my lap...!).
What prop did you get?
Old 03-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #69
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Palmer View Post
What prop did you get?

Came off of the leg armor. It (along with additional photos) was an amazing gift from another Technodrome member.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:01 AM   #70
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
https://i.imgur.com/sG0f9eu.jpg

Came off of the leg armor. It (along with additional photos) was an amazing gift from another Technodrome member.
Gotta love looking back on these threads! It's great to see when people score their personal white whales.

They call me d_osborn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
While not a white whale, an original set of production Foot arm gauntlets would be REALLY cool to display with my Foot mask.
Acquired!
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:20 PM   #71
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

I thought i was hardcore, then i came over here and found a lot more crazier people than i am over here.

My collection is strictly limited to figures.
I don't understand why people would want to collect comics or art (which can easily be duplicated. I can't duplicate an action figure, just sayin).

But it 's nice to see various people with various interests which i will never get into or understand.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #72
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
I don't understand why people would want to collect comics or art (which can easily be duplicated. I can't duplicate an action figure, just sayin).
First of all, you don't need to duplicate action figures. They were already produced by the thousands. But even if they weren't, it isn't like you can't duplicate them. You just need the right hardware.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:26 PM   #73
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

You know what I want.

YOU ALL KNOW WHAT I WANT.

Specifically, in the totally non-existent plush form, which I would have to make myself. I did it with Dalek mutants...though those are probably easier in comparison.

At least I've managed to get a few Utrom figures. Specifically a Classics Bubble Walker Krang and a 2003 Utrom. And four Kinder Eggs from Princess Utrom (in a package of French candies )
Old 03-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #74
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
First of all, you don't need to duplicate action figures. They were already produced by the thousands. But even if they weren't, it isn't like you can't duplicate them. You just need the right hardware.
Sorry, let me rephrase that.
I like things that are mass produced & recognized by everyone. Which is the reason why i don't like customs. Duplicate figure? Too much work. MUCH easier to just photocopy a piece of art.

I don't get it.... Some people like art, pay thousands just to hang it on their walls. Why? I can just search for that pic on the internet, print, frame it and tell me what is different? I think it's more of a psychological issue where they can say "i own the original" or something.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #75
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Quote:
I thought i was hardcore, then i came over here and found a lot more crazier people than i am over here.

But it 's nice to see various people with various interests which i will never get into or understand.
I agree, it's cool to see what everyone's personal interests are. Here is some insight into why I like to collect art.

-It's one of a kind. You're right about photocopies, they can be made by the thousands. But that's like saying why not collect reprint comics instead of original printings? Short answer: nothing is the same as an original. I might liken that to the re-released '87 figures with new packaging. Nothing is quite like the original "bursting from the brick wall" packaging.

-As an artist myself, I enjoy collecting art more than I do action figures. It's a personal preference. Everyone has their own tastes, which is what makes collecting great

-Art is easy to store and takes up minimal space. When I collected figures (I collected them MOC), they took up so much space.

-I agree about paying thousands. I have a hard time with that too. When I started buying art in the '90s, it was super cheap compared to now. It has really blown up in the past 10 years or so. Luckily there is art out there for almost any budget. There is plenty of good stuff outside of the $$$$ whales.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #76
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I agree, it's cool to see what everyone's personal interests are. Here is some insight into why I like to collect art.

-It's one of a kind. You're right about photocopies, they can be made by the thousands. But that's like saying why not collect reprint comics instead of original printings? Short answer: nothing is the same as an original. I might liken that to the re-released '87 figures with new packaging. Nothing is quite like the original "bursting from the brick wall" packaging.

-As an artist myself, I enjoy collecting art more than I do action figures. It's a personal preference. Everyone has their own tastes, which is what makes collecting great

-Art is easy to store and takes up minimal space. When I collected figures (I collected them MOC), they took up so much space.

-I agree about paying thousands. I have a hard time with that too. When I started buying art in the '90s, it was super cheap compared to now. It has really blown up in the past 10 years or so. Luckily there is art out there for almost any budget. There is plenty of good stuff outside of the $$$$ whales.
Thanks for the insight.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #77
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I have a comic book collection, the one that is never under $150 in the runs I have is Batman Adventures#12, 1st comic book appearance of Harley Quinn. I am not a fan of the character,but no hate. Every other set is complete,but that one hole I have had for four years without any price that makes sense to me.
http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/The_Batman_Adventures_12
Old 03-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #78
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I have a comic book collection, the one that is never under $150 in the runs I have is Batman Adventures#12, 1st comic book appearance of Harley Quinn. I am not a fan of the character,but no hate. Every other set is complete,but that one hole I have had for four years without any price that makes sense to me.
http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/The_Batman_Adventures_12
That's always been an interesting "first appearance" to me, because she was already a character in B:TAS for years before it was printed. No one really noticed the book until a few years ago when it was realized it was her first "able to be collected" appearance. Good luck finding it cheap!
Old 03-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #79
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I don't get it.... Some people like art, pay thousands just to hang it on their walls. Why? I can just search for that pic on the internet, print, frame it and tell me what is different? I think it's more of a psychological issue where they can say "i own the original" or something.
Historical significance, love of the medium, interest in the technical/creative processes, fun and thrill of the hunt, respect for the material. It's not about just putting an image on the wall. Even then, print quality of a pic found online would be terrible.

Speaking of replicating figures with 3D printers, I'd love to work up a replica of the early Playmates TMNT protos. There's quite a bit of reference out there.

d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote