Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 03:28 PM   #481
Whitewolf89
Freedom Fighter and Ninja

Location: Currently residing in the Turtles' Lair, NYC sewer system, NYC, NY
Thumbs up

I saw what I believe is the opening to this over on YouTube a little bit ago, and it looked pretty decent to me.
(Decent enough that it is now in my Faves over there, anyway.)

I'll be on the lookout for this new one, as I'm a bigger fan of 2D animation than of the CGI variety (which is actually okay), to be honest.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #482
Powder
So tired of this place

They haven't even designed the characters yet, there is no opening.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Old 04-23-2017, 04:20 PM   #483
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
They haven't even designed the characters yet, there is no opening.
I think he saw the intro for tales of the tmnt and got confused. Or a fan video.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 04-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #484
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"Ninjatos" are FAKE swords made by Hollywood. There is no historical context for them, they're a HOAX.
Considering they appeared in a Japanese movie as early as 1964, and as far as I can tell, didn't appear in American movies until at least the 80s, I highly doubt Hollywood made them up - unless, of course, you've found an American example earlier than '64.

Also, not historical =/= not real. There are actual, functional ninjato. That makes them as real as if you made a real, functional version of any weapon made for media.

Final matter, and it's just me being a stickler: anything in Japanese is its own plural, like sheep and deer.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #485
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

To be fair, though, if we're to assume Splinter forged/built the Turtles' weapons in the sewer... it'd probably be a lot easier to make ninjatos than delicately curved katanas.

And hey, if Splinter handed Leonardo his finished ninjatos and said, "Here are your katanas, my son," is Leonardo going to argue? Is he even going to know that's not right?
Old 04-24-2017, 02:58 PM   #486
neatoman
Emperor

I just assumed Splinter just stole the weapon from somewhere. Unless Leo's swords are just a sharpened piece of sheet metal (a terrible way to make a sword) Splinter sure as hell didn't make them, at least not in a sewer.
Hahahaha!
Old 04-24-2017, 06:51 PM   #487
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

There's been made functional Buster Swords from Final Fantasy VII and Sakabato swords from Ruroini Kenshin, just because someone made a sharp replica of a weapon created from pure fantasy doesn't make it any less sillier or useful.

The straight bladed ninjato with a square tsuba is a complete joke from most standpoints:

If forged traditionally it's going to be more expensive then a katana, as the curvation of a nihonto comes naturally from the forging and metal folding techniques. Which makes the ninjato useless as a throw-if-needed blade that was made cheaply. But of course in modern days that can easily be negated, and having Splinter raid a Martial Arts store with wannabee-ninja swords... I can just imagine Splinter coming home with "full-tang Cold Steel Viper Lethal Xtreme Zombie Apokalyps Ninjato" swords... Extra points if the swords have holes in the blades and are painted to look kewl.

The large square tsuba have no bearing on using a sword as a climbing tool, so that's useless. If someone wants a large square tsuba for fashion purposes, go ahead but it has no bearing for its "intended" use. A normal katana works just fine as a stepladder.

A straight katana is going to muck up the slicing techniques that already exists, which begs the question, why bother ruining the katana instead of just getting a different weapon altogether. A machete is far better suited, or just a wakishazi.

And as a visual, which yeah, it's my opinion. But it doesn't look visually interesting, it looks dumb and incompetent.

Even Masaaki Hatsumi's (Soke of Togakure-ryu) shinobigatana don't even look like the pop-culture ninja-to, it's curved! It's basically a wakizashi with a katana handle and sheath.

Then again, we are talking about American Pop-Culture Ninjas dressed in black karate gis and skimasks... But, the straight bladed ninjato is a symbol of lack of research and knowledge.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:10 AM   #488
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
There's been made functional Buster Swords from Final Fantasy VII and Sakabato swords from Ruroini Kenshin, just because someone made a sharp replica of a weapon created from pure fantasy doesn't make it any less sillier or useful.
But that's straight up how it works. ALL things that are made are fiction until they're not.

I'm not arguing any semantics about usefulness. Lord knows some of the stuff I see in Bud K are cringeworthy. If it has a clownshoes design and a Rob Liefeld name, but it's still something physical and does what a sword is supposed to... it's real. It just as far as is known, made up for a movie first and caught on. A f**kton of stuff was made up for movies and stuff and became actual things afterward.

I just find it laughable that people get so angry over things like this. Like STOP LIKING THIS PIECE OF METAL BECAUSE IT'S YOUNGER THAN YOUR PARENTS BLARGGGH when I don't see anybody doing that about other stuff with similar origins. The only thing I could see someone take contention with is if someone pretended that they were actually ancient weapons, and really only then I'd think that history/martial arts/weapons buffs would give that much of a crap.

I think the part where people get confused about Hatsumi talking about ninjato is because that is and was a catch-all term for a sword used by a ninja and people just assume it. It's like... tsurugi means just straight-up sword in general and yet in the west it's a specific kind of sword.

But yeah, most of the identity of the ninja in pop culture is either made up outright or appropriated from other parts of Japanese culture/history. And that's not even an "ignorant 'murcan" thing. All this shiz began in and is all over Japan.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:20 AM   #489
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I just find it laughable that people get so angry over things like this. Like STOP LIKING THIS PIECE OF METAL BECAUSE IT'S YOUNGER THAN YOUR PARENTS BLARGGGH when I don't see anybody doing that about other stuff with similar origins. The only thing I could see someone take contention with is if someone pretended that they were actually ancient weapons, and really only then I'd think that history/martial arts/weapons buffs would give that much of a crap.
It is a embarrassing piece of the Ninja Boom's history, and a lot of schools seems to directly avoid reference of ninjato since it has a negative connotation, and the people that still cling to ninjato as a historical weapon regardless of proof are a very... unprofessional bunch. Case in point, guys like Choson Ninja.

I've never seen anyone get flak if they just have a straight bladed ninjato for cutting in their backyard, but near every MA forum have several threads where someone believes its a real historical blade.

Quote:
But yeah, most of the identity of the ninja in pop culture is either made up outright or appropriated from other parts of Japanese culture/history. And that's not even an "ignorant 'murcan" thing. All this shiz began in and is all over Japan.
The black clad ninja wielding straight bladed katana did originate from Japan and made popular thanks to the Ninja Boom in Japan during the 60's, and can still be found in Japanese depictions today just like in Norway we still depicts vikings with horns on their helmets in souvenirs and tourist attractions. But had the Norsemen had horned helmets in HBO's Vikings, it'd look really silly.

But the ninjato certainly have gained a foothold in martial arts communities thanks to the 80's Ninja Exploitation Boom in the US, and got regarded as a real historical weapon thanks to Hayes, articles in Black Belt magazines and Mail Order ads. And of course the Ninja movies.

The reason the ninjato is shorthand called "Hollywood fiction" isn't by it's roots and origins. It's American movies and TV shows that cemented that Ninja used ninjato only, and it was specifically a ninja-only weapon. Even in Japanese movies and shows at that time, that had a stereotypical ninjato or a sword resembling the stereotypical ninjato, had the individual ninja use other swords too, it wasn't ninjato only.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #490
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
But the ninjato certainly have gained a foothold in martial arts communities thanks to the 80's Ninja Exploitation Boom in the US, and got regarded as a real historical weapon thanks to Hayes, articles in Black Belt magazines and Mail Order ads. And of course the Ninja movies.
Guys like Hayes and Turnbull disturb me. I was trained by the son of a student of Hatsumi's, who actually had a copy of Hatsumi's manifesto and some other writings and like... so much that those two claim were Hatsumi's ideas actually are very counter-intuitive to what was written there. Not quite at the Ashida Kim level of stupid, but close.

Of course, there is a lot of speculation that Hatsumi isn't as legit as claimed, but from watching footage of him, at least his form seems genuine, and a lot of the things I remember from the manifesto match up with things that the Japanese history scholar I knew confirmed.

Bringing this back around actually on topic for the show... is it just me or is the actual marketing (what little there is) calling it a "reboot" a weird choice of words? Like I don't think anybody called 2003 or 2012 a reboot at all, whether in marketing or just by fan comments. Is it just because this'll be the first time two series are done by the same house?

Last edited by Ninjinister; 04-25-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:23 AM   #491
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Guys like Hayes and Turnbull disturb me. I was trained by the son of a student of Hatsumi's, who actually had a copy of Hatsumi's manifesto and some other writings and like... so much that those two claim were Hatsumi's ideas actually are very counter-intuitive to what was written there. Not quite at the Ashida Kim level of stupid, but close.

Of course, there is a lot of speculation that Hatsumi isn't as legit as claimed, but from watching footage of him, at least his form seems genuine, and a lot of the things I remember from the manifesto match up with things that the Japanese history scholar I knew confirmed.

Bringing this back around actually on topic for the show... is it just me or is the actual marketing (what little there is) calling it a "reboot" a weird choice of words? Like I don't think anybody called 2003 or 2012 a reboot at all, whether in marketing or just by fan comments. Is it just because this'll be the first time two series are done by the same house?
Probably, or also cause they're done so close to each other. There was at least a year or so break between Turtles Forever and the 2012 show.

The 2003 show was an obvious reboot. It's been years since the 80s show ended and noone really expected a full on sequel to it.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 04-26-2017, 10:19 AM   #492
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Maybe, though it's pretty likely an actual reboot regardless. From what little we do know about it, I'd say it's safe to assume so.
Hahahaha!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:22 PM   #493
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
The 2003 show was an obvious reboot. It's been years since the 80s show ended and noone really expected a full on sequel to it.
Well usually the nomenclature used isn't that it's a "reboot" but that it's just a "new show". I don't remember anybody calling 2002 He-Man or any of the other Transformers cartoons reboots, either. They were just a new show in the series.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:31 PM   #494
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Maybe using the term "reboot" is just the norm now?

In any case, I really want to see some promo art soon.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:20 AM   #495
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Well usually the nomenclature used isn't that it's a "reboot" but that it's just a "new show". I don't remember anybody calling 2002 He-Man or any of the other Transformers cartoons reboots, either. They were just a new show in the series.
Hm... I guess a change could be that we now have have cartoons that have been running for decades and shows like Samurai Jack or Young Justice can come back, we kind of need clarification where or not the new show is or isn't in continuity with the previous one.

Nobody really expects a TMNT show to be a continuation.
Hahahaha!
Old 04-27-2017, 09:42 PM   #496
sdp
-

Reboot is a relatively new buzzword, it wasn't really used when the 2k3 show came out but you bet it would've been used now if 2k3 came out today. With all the remakes we got in the early 00's, that's when we started seeing the term reboot being applied by the mid/late 00's.

It really is a reboot but that word now has a negative connotation that it shouldn't and it's often called a reboot when it's a remake sometimes or sometimes a re-imagining. Meh, all words are used like synonyms but they're different things.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:25 AM   #497
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Reboot is a relatively new buzzword, it wasn't really used when the 2k3 show came out
It's because the Mirage comics are the original.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #498
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
ROFL.... 2K3 did use the Mirage style story lines... but it was no Mirage. They screwed City at War so bad, I really wish they didn't use the title.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #499
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Still in essence a reboot
Old 04-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #500
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
ROFL.... 2K3 did use the Mirage style story lines... but it was no Mirage. They screwed City at War so bad, I really wish they didn't use the title.
God, this is true. And "Return to New York" (in name only) was so maddeningly babyish and toy-shilling I wanted to throw a free weight at the TV.
Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters