The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 07-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #61
Filespit
Hench Mutant

Having Rob Paulsen as Don doesn't bother me that much. So far I think it sounds just fine and I actually think it's kinda cool that they do this. I'm totally stoked to see the result when the show finally starts. I must also admit that Jason Biggs sounds great as Leo. I've always pictured Leo having a much more mature and clearer voice, but Biggs does it just fine.
Filespit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #62
Mr.Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hob View Post
Master Splinter I think it is just the nature of the beast. People are going to find something to nitpick and right now it is this.

In all honesty I can separate different versions and having the same voice actor in another role wont bother me. It's not like I'm going to forget what show I'm watching. I mean the animation is very different and the tone looks to be different as well. If anything this new show and the inclusion of Rob Paulson just makes me nostalgic for the old show and want to watch it again too.
yea like i think raph's voice's too pitch sometimes but ppl say it's alright but i think don's voice's alright but ppl say its not.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #63
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer

I'm honestly starting to accept this.
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #64
Vincent
Hench Mutant

Frankly, Rob Paulsen would have been my first choice for Don, probably even if I didn't know he had played Raph. He's a great voice actor, and is in exactly the range I'd imagine Don's voice to be in. Then again, I didn't grow up with large amounts of the 1987 show, and only saw it in English after reading Archie and Mirage comics and seeing the movies.
The casting of Rob doesn't bother me one bit. However, the idea that he has a crush on April does. It seems like something out of a bad fanfic, and is in my opinion somewhat squicky (not just because he's a turtle, but because I've always seen April as a sort of mother figure to the turtles). I hope they drop that storyline early on. Also, apparently they've got April wanting to be a reporter. I get it, she was a reporter in the old show and the movies, but if they're gonna have some kind of connection between her and Don, why not go back to the source and make her a computer programmer? At least then there'd be a reason for the two to interact extensively, seeing as Don is an engineer. The whole thing just seems like kind of a jumbled mess of ideas that don't go together.
But I have no problem with the casting.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #65
Mr.Turtle
Mad Scientist

im not a fan of turtle 2 human crush either... it's just 2 depressing...
Old 07-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #66
sdp
-

He sounds exactly like Raph in most of the clips, he may say a line or two with a different/good Donnie voice but it quickly sounds like Raphael again. Terrible casting, the fact that Donnie is sarcastic in this version only accentuates that fact. It's not only because it's the same VA, I never thought Max from Mighty Max was Raphael, the characters were different and while Mikey does reek of Beast Boy a few lines it's not as prominent as Donnie with Rob because he does try to change his voice a bit from BB and he wasn't a turtle before even if his character was also the goofball of the team.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #67
Mr.Turtle
Mad Scientist

^ he IS raph in OT....
Old 07-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #68
Bossk
Random Punk

I actually think his voice sounds good for Donnie. From the small clips of the voice I heard, even though it sounds like Raph from '87, I can also easily see it being Donnie now, considering how the voices are changing.
Bossk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #69
Mr.Turtle
Mad Scientist

idk why they make him raph in OT tho... its hard to understand ppl's thought frm the 80's.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #70
zkarlette
Fashionably late

Fashion from the 80's was and is hard to understand

I think the more I listen to him,I'll get used to him playing Don.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #71
Mona_Lisa
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
As much as I love Rob Paulsen I think casting him as Donatello was a mistake. He sounds way too much like Raphael and its distracting to those of us who grew up with the OT.

I feel like I can't get into this version of Donatello's personality because I keep thinking of Raph everytime he speaks. I feel like Nick's Don won't have a true identity of his own aside from his crush on April.
At first I felt just like you, I thought making Rob Paulsen Donatello was a big mistake!
I am a die hard OT fan and I will always asociate That voice with Raph. Raph was my fav. turtle back then, I loved his humor (most of the time).
Then I kinda got a new perspective, This new show isn't really being made for us (us being people in their 20's and 30's who grew up with the OT). It's being made for a new generation of TMNT lovers, and since Rob Paulsen helped make the OT so awesome, why not help with the new cartoon? Rob Paulsen is great, I know he can add something very positive to the new show.
Yes it will still be hard for me to get use to Rob's voice coming out of Don's mouth, but I'm looking at it as a homage to the old 80's turtles!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #72
Zany Orange Dude
The Little Nerdy Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona_Lisa View Post
At first I felt just like you, I thought making Rob Paulsen Donatello was a big mistake!
I am a die hard OT fan and I will always asociate That voice with Raph. Raph was my fav. turtle back then, I loved his humor (most of the time).
Then I kinda got a new perspective, This new show isn't really being made for us (us being people in their 20's and 30's who grew up with the OT). It's being made for a new generation of TMNT lovers, and since Rob Paulsen helped make the OT so awesome, why not help with the new cartoon? Rob Paulsen is great, I know he can add something very positive to the new show.
Yes it will still be hard for me to get use to Rob's voice coming out of Don's mouth, but I'm looking at it as a homage to the old 80's turtles!
Nicely said, Mona Lisa, nicely said.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #73
Mr.Turtle
Mad Scientist

its really amazing rob's voice still stay pretty much the same after all these yrs...
Old 07-17-2012, 01:13 AM   #74
Donnie
Something from the Past

I think RP sounds great as Donatello. It's going to be a fresh take on the character, and I'm excited for it.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #75
Leonardo87
Stone Warrior

Does it even matter that the voice sounds the same or not? Just enjoy the show and stop complaining.
Leonardo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #76
Genesis
Stone Warrior

It matters enough to create an interesting discussion about it, free from people berating others for expressing their opinions on a public forum.

Curiously, I showed the training video (and other trailers n' junk) to my roommate, who immediately expressed approval at Don's voice. This is a man who was unaware that he once voiced Raphael, since he only really knows about the Turtles based on my obsessions, and I don't own any collections of the OT. He first mentioned that it took him a sec to deal with Raph not having such a deep voice, this time around, and when I mentioned that people have taken a bit more issue with Donatello, he said, "No, Donnie sounds perfect."

Fun to see the perspective of someone who isn't a die-hard fan.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #77
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I'm biased as I'll watch anything with Robbie-P, but I'll admit I'll probably hear Raph for a little while.

Also:

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #78
Mr.Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo87 View Post
Does it even matter that the voice sounds the same or not? Just enjoy the show and stop complaining.
voice is one of the most important things to the characters.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #79
pannoni1
Foot Elite

If you watch Rob's latest podcast featuring the OT reunion, there is a segment where Rob does give a sample of how Nick Don sounds a bit different, and I agree giving it a slightly higher pitch than OT Raph will be enough for me, given how Nick Raph sounds quite a bit different from OT Raph.

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #80
plasticturtle
Foot Soldier

it may be a bit wierd at first but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
plasticturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lol, nick