The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 04-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #21
Thorneyeagle
Foot Soldier

If the continuity of this comic series is separate from the TV show I may become interested int it.

This is not to say the show isn't good, I just haven't been watching it. I have trouble keeping up with my "adult" tv shows as it is. This is not to say one night this summer I wont attempt a bing and see what i think.
Thorneyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:01 AM   #22
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

not my cup of tea, but it does look fun and is a great addition for fans of the animated show. i love the cover by Dario.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #23
Cipher
Foot Elite

Looks cute. I'll try to pick up the FBCD issue and the rest of the series might be something I pick up in trade form down the line. I think it's great that IDW's introducing an all-ages book, and I hope it does well with its target audience.

Content-wise, while I'd be slightly more interested to have this develop its own story-lines, I'm more expecting it to read like apocryphal adventures set in the Nick universe a la most of DC's animation-based comics. But that can be fun as well.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #24
HeroTurtlesFan
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Interesting so that means we're getting at least 5 comics based on the Nick cartoon then.

I imagine if all the kids watching the show pick this up it'll be successful enough for an ongoing. If not....well it was a nice experiment.
Um, I thought it was a confirmed ongoing already? Did I miss something? Not interested if this is only a 4-issue mini.
HeroTurtlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #25
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

That looks awesome, so will it be free to download online?

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroTurtlesFan View Post
Um, I thought it was a confirmed ongoing already? Did I miss something? Not interested if this is only a 4-issue mini.
I heard its only a 4-issue mini-series so far (that alone with this one makes 5 total issues), and they're waiting on sales to decide whether or not to do more.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #27
Erik Burnham
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
I heard its only a 4-issue mini-series so far (that alone with this one makes 5 total issues), and they're waiting on sales to decide whether or not to do more.
That's EVERY BOOK EVER. Well, not the five and done.

Books are approved in blocks. Fans shouldn't consider anything other than "I want to support this" or "I don't want to support this."

Second guessing ("It won't last so I won't pre-order" or "I'll buy it later, it'll be around") can lead to cancellation.

So don't try to guess. Just pre-order if you want to support a given book, and ask others to do the same. (From a local shop or an online store that does pre-orders. THOSE are what affect orders and the bottom line!)

And remember, I also write Ghostbusters and would love your support there. q-:

(Seriously, at least spread the word. Some folks still don't know we exist!)

Now back to turtles. I'm plotting out a story about--- oops, out of space.

www.burnhamania.com
www.facebook.com/erikburnhamfanpage
www.twitter.com/erikburnham
Erik Burnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #28
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
me want! bad!

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #29
dawwe
Foot Soldier

I am liking what I'm seeing. The artwork and coloring is pretty good and the writing might even be better than the art. I don't really care if they have the stories take place between episodes or not and if it's totally canon and in synch with the cartoon. As long as it's good and they have fun with it I will be satisfied. Just as long as they don't take things too far.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #30
liugeaux
Hench Mutant

My comics guy already got his FCBD orders in and gave me my copy of the New Animated book already and its wonderful. It fits the tone and humor of the show perfectly. I loved the art and I'm really looking forward to the series. Its definitely a stand alone story, but there's alot of character in it.
liugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #31
kzekedaurus
Thug

That preview looks great! It looks cartoony without being too over exaggerated. I could almost imagine a *POINK* sound as Splinter switched their weapons.

Plus, this'll be my first Turtles comic that I can follow without having to play catchup! Can't wait!
kzekedaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #32
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Lovin' it. I wonder if it will eventually break out into it's own thing? It is a little difficult to make a comic based on a cartoon that changes the general status quo every 2 episodes.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

I hope it doesn't go off on its own but remains in continuity with the show. That way I feel like we're getting "extra episodes" so to speak.

I considered that web comic canon too for this reason.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #34
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Burnham View Post
Second guessing ("It won't last so I won't pre-order" or "I'll buy it later, it'll be around") can lead to cancellation.
This. ^ I sell off my individual issues after the trades come out, but I don't WAIT until the trades come out to read the stories because that doesn't help this series stay on-going. I order copies for at least two other people every month and sometimes I order two copies for myself, since that can lead to having five or six consecutive issues to sell when I can get the trade instead of only four.

Some copies of this FBCD book have already leaked, I'll have mine tomorrow.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

The difference is unlike the main IDW comic, this is aimed at kids watching the Nick cartoon. So it really depends on how many little kids are aware of this comic and beg their parents to buy it for them every month.

Is Nick doing anything to promote this comic? It would be good if their aired commercials for it during the cartoon to let kids know of its existence.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #36
Will not be censored

Quote:
The difference is unlike the main IDW comic, this is aimed at kids watching the Nick cartoon.
Eh... a lot of the kids watching the Nick show have parents who were, and still are in many cases, hardcore TMNT fans, as many conversations on these boards will attest to-- not only that, but most of us who read the comics watch the show too (the inverse isn't necessarily true, as there are a lot of younger fans on these boards who constantly post to the Nick show section of the boards but never post here in the comics section). So I'm thinkin' that if the goal is to sell books, we're their primary target audience... it is more likely that we'll pick up the book on a regular basis than kids who aren't necessarily partial to TMNT versus something like SpongeBob or Kung-Fu Panda.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:

Old 04-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #37
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***The One True Shredder*** View Post
This. ^ I sell off my individual issues after the trades come out, but I don't WAIT until the trades come out to read the stories because that doesn't help this series stay on-going. I order copies for at least two other people every month and sometimes I order two copies for myself, since that can lead to having five or six consecutive issues to sell when I can get the trade instead of only four.
I used to be a strict trade-waiter but have recently switched to buying digital issues as they come out, and then buying trades for future reading (as I'll probably do for this series as well). Series I'm not as invested in, I still forgo the digital issues and just wait for trades.

I still think the industry needs to reconsider how it tabulates sales to accommodate people who wait for trades, though. They're not going away, and a lack of monthly purchases doesn't necessarily mean they're not reading. It shouldn't be fans' responsibility to conform purchasing methods to an outdated model just to show the powers that be that they care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***The One True Shredder*** View Post
Eh... a lot of the kids watching the Nick show have parents who were, and still are in many cases, hardcore TMNT fans, as many conversations on these boards will attest to-- not only that, but most of us who read the comics watch the show too (the inverse isn't necessarily true, as there are a lot of younger fans on these boards who constantly post to the Nick show section of the boards but never post here in the comics section). So I'm thinkin' that if the goal is to sell books, we're their primary target audience... it is more likely that we'll pick up the book on a regular basis than kids who aren't necessarily partial to TMNT versus something like SpongeBob or Kung-Fu Panda.
No doubt IDW is expecting they'll get some crossover from fans of other Turtles comics, but the idea behind an all-ages title is to, well, target all ages, especially if the main book has content not suitable for children. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet the target demographic for this comic is indeed kids who are watching the new cartoon. This is something they can see in a comic shop or wherever else and latch onto.

That also makes it an ideal choice for a Free Comic Book Day give-away. You know what demographic tends to pick up comic books that day when they otherwise wouldn't? Kids.

Last edited by Cipher; 04-28-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #38
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
I hope it doesn't go off on its own but remains in continuity with the show. That way I feel like we're getting "extra episodes" so to speak.

I considered that web comic canon too for this reason.
True, but that would be hard to do unless the comic guys know the entire season's script months in advance (which they usually don't since that is most likely a whole other department).

Sooner or later things will get screwed up between the two continuity-wise, so it's better to look at it as a side-story of sorts.

Let's say for example, the comic brings Spider Bytes back, which would be his 'second appearance'. Ten to one whenever he does return in the cartoon, that will be his 'official second appearance' and he will be after revenge after the events of Turtle Temper' and completely disregard whatever happened in the comics.

Another example would have been something seeming outdated compared to the cartoon being aired that same month. Let's say two episodes down the line Karai got mutated. Some two-part story coming out that month with a human Karai would already seem outdated since she's a mutant in the show. Similar to how in the first issue, I would assume April is living with her aunt, while in the show she'll probably be stuck in the sewers for a few episodes. Or would she have even started her kunoichi training and being armed with a fan at that point?

Sooner or later they have to change things up or go their own route, which is kinda cool because it gives them the chance to go routes the cartoons won't. Maybe Bishop will never be in the cartoon... he might be in the comic. Maybe Bebop and Rocksteady can finally be in the comic. Anything can happen, set within the same general Nick universe, but with different routes the cartoon won't go.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #39
Will not be censored

If what you're saying is true, I'd prefer it to be a "Tales of the TMNT" type book that can influence what happens down the line in the actual show, but take place in between episodes that have already aired, so that it never feels "out-dated."
Quote:

Old 04-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #40
Erik Burnham
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
I still think the industry needs to reconsider how it tabulates sales to accommodate people who wait for trades, though. They're not going away, and a lack of monthly purchases doesn't necessarily mean they're not reading.
The monthly comics pay for the overhead. Some (ongoing) series have not collected issues due to lower sales ("Why spend more money?")

The line of thought with some is that digital may change the paradigm again, and cause less to be collected automatically. (ie, if it sell well, yes! Collect it! If it's mediocre but still okay, people can play catch-up digitally.) I don't know if things will go that way; it could just as easily go the route of setting trade-waiters up to pre-purchase a given trade earlier in the process, so their money would carry more weight much sooner.

We'll see!

Edited to add: this stuff is just what I've heard over the years! Other comics pros (writers, artists, and editors) have shared many the above thoughts, I'm just aggregating them for ya! (:

www.burnhamania.com
www.facebook.com/erikburnhamfanpage
www.twitter.com/erikburnham

Last edited by Erik Burnham; 04-29-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Erik Burnham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic discussion, idw, new animated adventures