The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 06-24-2019, 04:20 PM   #61
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80gmrp View Post
Though, for #2, maybe I should clarify my position further: I feel so strongly about it that, while I don’t care if he’s a main character or not, if it were up to me, he wouldn’t be an antagonist at all. The extent I feel this opinion I am convinced puts me in a minority, even if the opinion itself might be mainstream.
I dunno. I think most, if not all, Mirage/4kids/2012 fans would agree... & that's a sizable demo.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:22 PM   #62
CyberCubed
Overlord

The TMNT franchise mirrors the Pokemon franchise exactly. They were huge childhood fads for their respective generations, and the first mainstream incarnation of it, the original 80's cartoon for TMNT, and Kanto the 1st generation of Pokemon and its characters...basically overshadows everything that came after it, much to the annoyance of people who kept up with both franchises and knows about tons of other iterations, characters, and generations. The fact that you can't talk about TMNT with casuals due to their only knowledge being the original show, pizza and cowabunga, and you can't talk about pokemon to most people without their original 151 pokemon or Misty/Brock nonsense, is the same deal.

I'd also wager to say Shredder/Bebop/Rocksteady in the original cartoon sort of mirror Team Rocket, where they're the trio of bumbling villains who fail in every episode to get "blasted off," or in the OT case...run into a portal or module.

It's kinda sad, given both franchises have now gone on 20+ and 30+ years respectively, and casuals only care about...the very beginning.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #63
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The TMNT franchise mirrors the Pokemon franchise exactly. They were huge childhood fads for their respective generations, and the first mainstream incarnation of it, the original 80's cartoon for TMNT, and Kanto the 1st generation of Pokemon and its characters...basically overshadows everything that came after it, much to the annoyance of people who kept up with both franchises and knows about tons of other iterations, characters, and generations. The fact that you can't talk about TMNT with casuals due to their only knowledge being the original show, pizza and cowabunga, and you can't talk about pokemon to most people without their original 151 pokemon or Misty/Brock nonsense, is the same deal.

I'd also wager to say Shredder/Bebop/Rocksteady in the original cartoon sort of mirror Team Rocket, where they're the trio of bumbling villains who fail in every episode to get "blasted off," or in the OT case...run into a portal or module.

It's kinda sad, given both franchises have now gone on 20+ and 30+ years respectively, and casuals only care about...the very beginning.
Except Pokémon has never stopped being a very profitable and popular franchise. It might have peaked in its first 3 years or so, but new Pokémon games kept being the highest selling games of their respective systems. And the Pokémon anime never ended or got cancelled.

I've talked to people born in the mid-late 90s who grew up with Diamond/Pearl and/or Black/White instead of the first 3 gens, and they told me that Pokémon was pretty big when they were kids back in 2006-2010. Pokémon never had a dead period like the Turtles did and it's arguably Nintendo«s most profitable franchise ever, even above Mario.

Oh and FW is not the very beginning of TMNT. That's Mirage.

I'd say a similar case to FW would be Street Fighter. Street Fighter 2 is the game everyone knows and there's a reason why Capcom still milks it over 20 years later. SF1 sucked ass so who cares, SF Alpha was a good series but not nearly as popular as SF. No wonder that in Alpha 3 they brought back all of the SF2 characters that were missing in the previous two games. The EX series wasn't very popular either nor was SF3. In the definitive version of SF3, Third Strike, they brought Chun-Li back. Besides her there were only Ryu, Ken and Akuma from previous games. SF3 was a great game but a commercial failure. SF4 revived the SF series, but still not as big as SF2 was and has every single SF2 character there for a reason as well. Not sure how SF5 has been doing but I hear a lot of criticisms about it.

SF2 is simply the most successful version of the series by far and the one where Chun-Li, Cammy, Blanka, Akuma, Guile, M. Bison, Dhalsim, Vega, Balrog, Zangief, etc. all made their debuts. Most people have no idea who characters such as Sodom, Adon, Charlie Nash,Yun, Remy, Ibuki, Elena, Dudley, etc. are. When you mention Street Fighter they'll think of the others I mentioned above. Guile has missed more SF games than the ones he's been in, yet he's the most popular male character after Ryu and Ken and arguably viewed as the biggest and most important one after them.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #64
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I think he meant the beginning in terms of mainstream media, like the original cartoon. TMNT didn't really take off until the OT began, and most aren't even aware of the Mirage comic. Pokemon was fairly similar, with the anime being what really launched the franchise into worldwide icon status, though the game was already popular in some circles.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:52 AM   #65
Garfield
Hench Mutant

I like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III, I think the movie has a lot of heart. And I think people tend to exaggerate how bad the costumes are. They are a step or two down from than the original and Ninja turtles II but I think they are presentable enough.

I only watched a couple of episodes of Rise of the TMNT. But I kind of liked it. I thought it was pretty funny. And it was an entertaining easy watch. I also think the format of each episode being 10 min short works.

It's been a while since I have seen Next Mutation But I didn't hate Venus. I don't particularly love the character but I don't have this strong disdain for her like a lot of people seem to have. Also I remember kind of liking Next Mutation.

In the (2014) Ninja Turtles movie.... looking back, probably would have been a more cohesive and all around better movie if they just stuck with the idea of the turtles being aliens and Eric Sachs being the Shredder. I know there would have been an uproar regardless but I wish they would have just gone with their vision. I know its easy for me to say as an outsider not in that industry.

I liked Meagan Fox's April. I think she did a good job.

I'll post more later.
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:26 PM   #66
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
I like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III, I think the movie has a lot of heart. And I think people tend to exaggerate how bad the costumes are. They are a step or two down from than the original and Ninja turtles II but I think they are presentable enough.

I only watched a couple of episodes of Rise of the TMNT. But I kind of liked it. I thought it was pretty funny. And it was an entertaining easy watch. I also think the format of each episode being 10 min short works.

It's been a while since I have seen Next Mutation But I didn't hate Venus. I don't particularly love the character but I don't have this strong disdain for her like a lot of people seem to have. Also I remember kind of liking Next Mutation.

In the (2014) Ninja Turtles movie.... looking back, probably would have been a more cohesive and all around better movie if they just stuck with the idea of the turtles being aliens and Eric Sachs being the Shredder. I know there would have been an uproar regardless but I wish they would have just gone with their vision. I know its easy for me to say as an outsider not in that industry.

I liked Meagan Fox's April. I think she did a good job.

I'll post more later.
I agree with everything you posted, Garfield.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:13 PM   #67
miru
Mad Scientist

The Jhanna story from Mirage was good. I really like some of those filler pieces.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:21 PM   #68
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Except Pokémon has never stopped being a very profitable and popular franchise. It might have peaked in its first 3 years or so, but new Pokémon games kept being the highest selling games of their respective systems. And the Pokémon anime never ended or got cancelled.
Pokemon unlike TMNT is a tie-in merchandise machine. There's a whole company dedicated to making decisions about just Pokemon. They have more money and resources to spend on their property than Mirage did back when.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:59 PM   #69
SimplySatire
Mouser

Angry UO: Rant on the 2012 Version

- 2003 was better than the 2012. 2012 was cringey and aimed at small children, while the 2003 treated the audience like they were older. Even when I was 10, I liked knowing the show treated me like a capable, smart child. 2012 was talking down to the audience if anything. Also, in the 2012 Mikey's a joke (they seriously got lost with his character), Leo's EVERYTHING and then some, Raph is emo as ****, and Donnie is APRITELLO APRITELLO and that ends it there for his character development. The 2003 don actually went through some stuff and grew, 2003 Mike was somewhat mature at the end of the series and seemed to have made peace with both being goofy and fun-loving and being mature and understanding. He was cocky and conceited for a few episodes, but every teenager goes through that phase.

- 2018 is actually better than the 2012 imo. At least there is nice animation and a fun, carefree vibe.

- I generally just don't like 2012. It could've been something great, but they rushed everything. The art is...weird and really not cohesive to the audience they're aiming at. It's like the show was written for 8 year olds, graphically designed for 13 year olds, and "supposed" to be mature enough for adults alike to watch. The only one that hit that mark was 2003. 2018 makes you lose yourself and just let go and laugh for a little. The IDW comic is a master piece in itself imo. But the 2012 is just 'meh' compared to everything else. I'm really glad they finally cancelled it.

- 2012 Mikey sounds like a stoner and acts like a small child instead of a 15/16 year old; even by the end of the show.

- Splinter is the only enjoyable character on the 2012's end.

- Don't get me started with teen April- at least the 2018 April is in college.

- Raph gives me this 'spoiled but wanting to be emo and the "not like other guys" type' vibe. I just really hate how they made him an asshole. He doesn't even have psychopathic tendencies like the Mirage comics did (which would at least make his repetition understandable). His anger struggle is this; get angry, hurt/explode at family, don't learn a damn thing, REPEAT. Meanwhile all the other incarnations are at least trying to change it. 2003 Raph even took up knitting!

- People idolize this show only because it came out right in the golden years of social media and the internet.

*takes a breath*

Kk I'm done
Old 07-01-2019, 05:06 PM   #70
SimplySatire
Mouser

Angry UO: Rant on the 2012 Version

- 2003 was better than the 2012. 2012 was cringey and aimed at small children, while the 2003 treated the audience like they were older. Even when I was 10, I liked knowing the show treated me like a capable, smart child. 2012 was talking down to the audience if anything. Also, in the 2012 Mikey's a joke (they seriously got lost with his character), Leo's EVERYTHING and then some, Raph is emo as ****, and Donnie is APRITELLO APRITELLO and that ends it there for his character development. The 2003 don actually went through some stuff and grew, 2003 Mike was somewhat mature at the end of the series and seemed to have made peace with both being goofy and fun-loving and being mature and understanding. He was cocky and conceited for a few episodes, but every teenager goes through that phase.

- 2018 is actually better than the 2012 imo. At least there is nice animation and a fun, carefree vibe.

- I generally just don't like 2012. It could've been something great, but they rushed everything. The art is...weird and really not cohesive to the audience they're aiming at. It's like the show was written for 8 year olds, graphically designed for 13 year olds, and "supposed" to be mature enough for adults alike to watch. The only one that hit that mark was 2003. 2018 makes you lose yourself and just let go and laugh for a little. The IDW comic is a master piece in itself imo. But the 2012 is just 'meh' compared to everything else. I'm really glad they finally cancelled it.

- 2012 Mikey sounds like a stoner and acts like a small child instead of a 15/16 year old; even by the end of the show.

- Raph gives me this 'spoiled but wanting to be emo and the "not like other guys" type' vibe. I just really hate how they made him an asshole. He doesn't even have psychopathic tendencies like the Mirage comics did (which would at least make his repetition understandable). His anger struggle is this; get angry, hurt/explode at family, don't learn a damn thing, REPEAT. Meanwhile all the other incarnations are at least trying to change it. 2003 Raph even took up knitting!

- People idolize this show only because it came out right in the golden years of social media and the internet.

*takes a breath*

Kk I'm done
Old 07-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #71
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I enjoy the Arcade version of Turtles in Time more than the SNES version. I always felt the animation, the voice clips, soundtrack, and the ability to have four players more exciting. I didn't mind no Rocksteady or Bebop as it was actually refreshing. As much as I enjoy the console counterpart, it is way too easy, even on hard difficulty. The ending is admittedly more satisfying and the soundtrack is still awesome in it's own right but that's pretty much it.

I really dislike what they're doing to Mikey with each new iteration. In the Nick toon, he was a absent-minded buffoon, the less said on PD, and while I do think he's handled a bit better in Rise, he's kinda too excitable and bubbly. And because Leo is more of the witty guy, Mike is sort of bland in comparison which is something I thought I'd never say about the turtle.

TMNT 3 is a guilty pleasure. It's my least favorite of the original trilogy but there were still some really good moments sandwiched in with the not-so-good moments. Plus the action scenes are handled better than the second film.

I like Adam Carol more than Corey Feldman as Donnie. Feldman made him sound like he was stoned which is of place for the genius character. I also enjoyed Mitchell Whitfield's take on the character.

It's not an unpopular opinion here but I'm getting irksome by the callbacks and pandering to the FW cartoon. It had it's time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
-Rise is genuinely good

-The OT- for the most part- is unwatchable
I'm curious to know why some users here like Rise but dislike the OT.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:27 PM   #72
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySatire View Post

*takes a breath*

Kk I'm done

Saying 2012 was aimed as small children is laughable.2012 was aimed at the older fans. Rise is aimed at the small children and it shows its a bigger joke than the Fred Wolf Turtles were.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #73
Vegita-San
Emperor

2003 is the best the franchise has to offer. With the 2007 movie being a close second.

2012 is FAR from as good as people claim it to be. it had alot of potential, but alot of wasted potential.

Volume 4 is not as bad as people would like to think, compared to Image turtles.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:49 AM   #74
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
2003 is the best the franchise has to offer. With the 2007 movie being a close second.

2012 is FAR from as good as people claim it to be. it had alot of potential, but alot of wasted potential.

Volume 4 is not as bad as people would like to think, compared to Image turtles.
Agreed about 2003, though I honestly don't think that 2012 was that bad, either.

On a lighter note, I see this is my 100th post.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:42 AM   #75
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I guess I've already displayed a unpopular opinion in another thread, but since this thread is more relevant.

I do not care for a full-armored Shredder so I don't like the 2003 design and frankly all of the 2k3 Shredder designs are bad. For me, a Shredder design means 'less is more'. My second favorite Shredder design after original Mirage is IDW, where they kept it simple, so simple he usually lacks leg blades and got a nifty scarf.

Also not a fan of over-use of blades on his gauntlets and shoulder plates or making them unwieldly long, like Mutants in Manhattan is a good example on how wrong IDW could have looked or SotO Super Shredder and BayMNT Shredder with blades galore. 2012 Shredder fixed the edgy desire to have long wolverine-esque blades by at least having them be retractable
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:10 PM   #76
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

But let's remember...there's such a thing as "too much less"...or we'll get Shirtless Joe over here

I'm going to agree on the "excess of spikes and armor" though.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #77
Mr Salk
Thug

Their colored masks don't hide their identities...they reveal them.

Hmmm...
Mr Salk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:57 PM   #78
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
But let's remember...there's such a thing as "too much less"...or we'll get Shirtless Joe over here

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f6/d7...2a13901bea.png

I'm going to agree on the "excess of spikes and armor" though.
If I was that ripped I'd be topless 24/7 as well
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #79
slingtheory
Stone Warrior

• i prefer the multi colored bandannas over the all red ones

•I think oots is the best tmnt game of modern times and the best game overall since turtles in time

•I didn't really mind venus as a concept just didn't like that she wasnt the turtles sister

•2k3 mikey is for the most part my favorite characterization for the character. Just a little more focus on his creativity and compassion and he would've been perfect.

•2012 put more focus on the ninja in ninja turtles than any other animated series and I give it props for that.

•tmnt 3 wasn't that bad it just suffered from being released as the fad was coming to an end.

•idw's origin is my favorite version of the origin. It ties everything together so well and is a great blend of ninja treachery, science fiction and mysticism.

•i don't mind the reintroduction/ reimagining of characters and elements from previous versions if it's done well and adds something to the story and universe. I see it more as an appreciation of history than pandering.

•it bugs me when people rage over the idea of a turtles game not having couch co op when the reality is that limits the type of game you can make. Unless they're gonna keep making side scollers or smash bros knock offs we gotta let that go.

Last edited by slingtheory; 07-09-2019 at 08:31 PM.
slingtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #80
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
If I was that ripped I'd be topless 24/7 as well
I always like to think that an episode based around that toy would just have been Krang shoving him out for something on laundry day.

I for one will remain in my opinion that there's nothing wrong with giving the aliens a little more world building. It's okay to make the Utroms less mysterious. It's okay to take the Triceratons beyond war mongers from space. It's okay to take the Neutrinos beyond space beatniks.

Just...anything to keep this from happening in any of the aliens, because that's kinda what we got

I'm not asking for a full Tolkien-like explanation for every single detail, but a little more detail would be nice.